ADVERTISEMENT

Just a few days away, thoughts on the game? score?

Nov 8, 2006
For Tennessee's defense it will be about covering Ford, Phillips, and Hodges. Our secondary is solid and I think they can hold this trio in check, but VT will certainly make a big play or two in the passing game.

Objective number two will be to keep Evans' legs from keeping VT in the game.

I would say to stop the run in general, but none of VT's running backs will give Tennessee a ton of trouble, IMHO.

On offense, Tennessee has to get back to doing what we do, which is run the ball. We will open up the offense this week and I think fans around the country will see a much different result than was shown vs App St.

VT's defense is good and your DC is great... But if Tennessee doesn't perform well it is because we were badly outcoached, which could happen. We have too much talent for anything else to be the culprit.

I'm saying 30-13 Vols. But it will be a close game into the 4th.

I'm saying 30-13 Vols. But it will be a close game into the 4th.
I still don't know what to think about this game. Originally I was leaning a little towards the Vols, then last Thursday I was leaning a little bit the other way, and now after Saturday, I'm sort of stuck.

VT is going to get a LOT better as this season goes along, but we just don't have everything together right now. I think in week 2 of the new coaching regime, there's still too many leftover problems from previous years that haven't been fixed yet to realistically think that VT will come out and play sharp and mistake free. And playing a team like Liberty in the opener really didn't answer any lingering questions that I have about personnel, either. I also see that we didn't get off page 1 of the playbook last week. The common thinking in situations like that is that we weren't giving UTenn anything to look at, but in this case, I'm thinking we're just not capable of doing any of those things yet. Did playing Liberty help us get more capable? Somehow I'm doubting it.

On the other hand, UTenn posters keep telling us over and over how good their offense is...but folks, it's just not. I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be mean, but the Vol offense wasn't very good last year, and it's no better this year. It doesn't come even remotely close to passing the eye test. I see great offenses every week all across the country, and UTenn just doesn't have one. I also see where some UTenn people have convinced themselves that they weren't giving VT anything to look at last week, which is why they needed App St's kicker to have a meltdown and also some luck in the endzone to win last week. Seriously? You would rather lose outright to App St than to give VT anything to look at? If that's truly the case, then the UTenn coaching staff is even worse than I thought.

Big picture, though...it's still only week 2, and VT still has a long ways to go to get to where we want to be. I guess I'll go with UTenn 21 VT 17. And UTenn should hope that we don't see each other again in a bowl game, because VT will have a bunch of bugs ironed out by then and will be a lot more competent.

On the other hand, UTenn posters keep telling us over and over how good their offense is...but folks, it's just not. I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to be mean, but the Vol offense wasn't very good last year, and it's no better this year. It doesn't come even remotely close to passing the eye test. I see great offenses every week all across the country, and UTenn just doesn't have one. I also see where some UTenn people have convinced themselves that they weren't giving VT anything to look at last week, which is why they needed App St's kicker to have a meltdown and also some luck in the endzone to win last week. Seriously? You would rather lose outright to App St than to give VT anything to look at? If that's truly the case, then the UTenn coaching staff is even worse than I thought.

A. Our roster is a lot better than VT's.
B. Your thought process on our offensive output is just wrong. I have discussed this with you previously, but obviously to no avail.
C. Does Tennessee have a great offense? No. Does Tennessee have a great run game? Yes.

In 2015 we played 6 rush defenses ranked in the top 33 in the country.

Bama: 1st Rush D; 75.7 ypg -- TN ran for 172
Arkansas: 12th Rush D; 117 ypg -- TN ran for 153
Northwestern: 13th Rush D; 126 ypg -- TN ran for 251
Florida: 25th Rush D; 128 ypg -- TN ran for 294
Mizzou: 28th Rush D; 132 ypg -- TN ran for 264
Vandy: 33rd Rush D; 143 ypg -- TN ran for 338

We return all of our rushing production and 9 of our top 10 offensive lineman. This is why you hear Tennessee fans say the offense will be fine, regardless of what we saw vs App St.

Now, I understand that the 2015 and 2016 football teams are different, but the players and coaches are the same. It is reasonable to think that production should be similar, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT