ADVERTISEMENT

My son will be a Hokie in August!

Dec 6, 2004
Greetings, proud to advise my youngest will be a VT general engineering freshman in the fall, looking to major in Aerospace Engineering.
I have never had a second favorite college football team before, and am looking forward to becoming more familiar with and following the Hokies. What are the prospects for this season? My son is quite anxious to get his season tickets.
Have never attended a game at VT, and my wife and I are hoping to make a couple of games this fall. Any tips on how to get tickets, game day traffic, where to park for game, what the tailgating scene is like, places to eat and stay would be very much appreciated, Have already looked at hotels on Orbitz, and appears to be the same situation as State College during a game weekend, ie, hotels do some serious price gouging. As we will be traveling to and from Blacksburg on 81, we can consider accommodations to the north.
Thanks in advance and look forward to spending sometime here at the Hokie Haven!!

Welcome to the Hokie Nation. Your son is going to love it. Glad to see PSU will now be your second favorite team.

Welcome to the Hokie Nation to you and your son. Since I drive to games that day and walk a mile to the stadium I can't help you.

I normally stay in Roanoke for the games. It is about 45 min from Bburg - up to 2 hours on game day. Plenty of restaurants in the Roanoke area and there is the mall for a diversion. Hotels are generally available in the Peter's Creek area near the airport.

Reactions: scottpsurules
Hi y'all, really appreciate the welcoming and input from a few months ago. This is now a shameless bump to get more info.......
Looks like my wife and I will make the Sep 9 Delaware and/or the Oct 28 Duke game(s). Any pointers on getting tickets would be especially appreciated.

Lets go Hokies!

Tickets should be available for both of those games. Stub-hub or any of the other sites have them. Delaware should be especially cheap tickets (relatively speaking.)

Your best bet will be to scalp tickets right outside the stadium for these 2 games. Think there is public parking on prices fork which is off of 460. Really u will not have a hard time finding parking. For these 2 games I def would not buy from stub hub def get tickets outside of the stadium for much cheaper than stub hub. I have bought extra tickets outside the stadium and never have had a problem. The only game I couldn't get a ticket was 99 Syracuse ( Donavan McNabb) & (Mike Vick) game. I have literally only missed 3 games since 83 and I am telling you that u will not have a problem with tickets or parking. Just come early. There is also good places to eat in Christiansburg. You have kabuki (Japanese), outback, Mexican, Olive Garden, Texas road house, the farm house is really good but expensive. You have Buffaloe wild wings in BLACKSBURG plus Bull and Bones, Franks Cinabowl which has burgers and such.

I would have posted earlier but I always
Look on the gobbler not on HOKIE haven. If there is anything else you would like to know just ask. I'll be looking back over here for the next few days.

Your best bet will be to scalp tickets right outside the stadium for these 2 games. Think there is public parking on prices fork which is off of 460. Really u will not have a hard time finding parking. For these 2 games I def would not buy from stub hub def get tickets outside of the stadium for much cheaper than stub hub. I have bought extra tickets outside the stadium and never have had a problem. The only game I couldn't get a ticket was 99 Syracuse ( Donavan McNabb) & (Mike Vick) game. I have literally only missed 3 games since 83 and I am telling you that u will not have a problem with tickets or parking. Just come early. There is also good places to eat in Christiansburg. You have kabuki (Japanese), outback, Mexican, Olive Garden, Texas road house, the farm house is really good but expensive. You have Buffaloe wild wings in BLACKSBURG plus Bull and Bones, Franks Cinabowl which has burgers and such.
Thanks so much. I guess in the good news/bad news department already purchased tics on Stub for the Duke game. Looks like it will be the only one we will make. Actually going to be in town for Clemson game, but have no illusions of finding tics for it. Plan to watch from a local watering hole, while our son is at the game. Good to know parking won't be too much of an issue.
Both trips got a hotel in Salem, on game day what kind of drive(time wise) should I expect?
My son is really looking forward to his first time at a game this Saturday. Nice win on Sunday, I told him looks like he will have a QB to follow for his 4 years!
Thanks again!!

I have never scalped tickets for fear that I wouldn't be able to find any or that they would be counterfeit. You have had good luck with that so maybe I will try that. I always chickened out and bought on-line.

So sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Hotel in Salem your looking at about a 45 min drive. Off of 81 take 460 then take prices fork for public parking. Seriously though there is parking all over the place around town. The best place to watch the clemson game will be Buffaloe wild wings or franks cinema and bowl they got huge screens but not a lot of seating. You can probably get tickets for the Clemson game but probably will cost 150 to 200 a ticket. Tell your son whatever he does don't miss enter sandman it is seriously the best entrance in college football. 15 to 20 min before kickoff. Let me know if you need anything else welcome to the Homie family.

I have never scalped tickets for fear that I wouldn't be able to find any or that they would be counterfeit. You have had good luck with that so maybe I will try that. I always chickened out and bought on-line.

I have had season tickets since 83 but have scalped ticks for fam for last 3 years and have had absolutely zero problems. Clemson game may be tough they will be there just may have to pay for them. The only game I have not seen somebody selling tickets outside of stadium is the game mentioned above.

Let me know what your son says about the entrance. I am curious to know what it is like for somebody that sees it for the first time.

Also the drive could take an hour depends what time u come in. I would allow an hour but 45 min should be pretty easy to make. Could take downtown exit off of 460 as well. About 2 to 3 min off of this exit there is parking if u turn up beside Krogers. Can go past that about another mi or 2 and there is parking at the old middle school which is right before u get into down town. I always take this exit and park up beside Kroger. There is parking along this st for free and a parking lot on the right off the st that goes up beside Kroger. Will have to take a left at the Krogers. Then right off that st it's free. It's about a mi walk from there though. 15 min walk it's a good walk and this is what I do for every game.

Also the drive could take an hour depends what time u come in. I would allow an hour but 45 min should be pretty easy to make. Could take downtown exit off of 460 as well. About 2 to 3 min off of this exit there is parking if u turn up beside Krogers. Can go past that about another mi or 2 and there is parking at the old middle school which is right before u get into down town. I always take this exit and park up beside Kroger. There is parking along this st for free and a parking lot on the right off the st that goes up beside Kroger. Will have to take a left at the Krogers. Then right off that st it's free. It's about a mi walk from there though. 15 min walk it's a good walk and this is what I do for every game.
twoliter, thanks for taking all the time and great info, very very much appreciated.
Great to be a part of the Hokie family and really looking forward to our first game there next month. I know my son is psyched for this Saturday.
I will be at Beaver Stadium watching PSU put a beat down on pitt!!

Scottpsurules,
No problem glad I could help out a fellow HOKIE. Anytime I can help out just holler at me. I am going to start looking on this board more regular. Have fun at Beaver stadium, by the looks of Pitts first game u guys should be playing the backups by halftime. Hope your son enjoys his first game experience inside lane. Make to tell him that he is not late and doesn't miss enter sandman. I am not kidding best entrance in all of college football. I am anxious to hear how your sons first game inside lane goes. GO HOKIES!!! I hope your first experience for the duke game at lane is very enjoyable. Let me know how that goes as well.

Well what did your son think of his first game in lane stadium?
He had a great time, sent lots of pics and a video of the entrance.
Good result, but doesn't sound like the game was too thrilling though. Told him I am sure on Sep 30 it will be a very different atmosphere....
Great to see the Hokies move up to 16. Thanks for checking in!!

O yea the 30th will be totally different. The game was pretty boring. The offense struggled. I think they was trying to work on things and also I think they was trying to be pretty vanilla. FCS opponent is just one of them games. Clemson game will be very different prolly a night game and maybe game day if we don't wet the bed the next few weeks. By then we should be 10-13 range if we keep winning.

Twoliter and other Hokies, thanks for prior tips. Made it to town for Clemson game, but watched from a bar.
Now attending first game on the 28th vs Duke. We are looking to tailgate, hopefully somewhere close to stadium. Looking for tips on a good tailgating lot(s) that would have availability on game day. Or are you able to buy a spot ahead of time?

That was a serious beat down on Saturday!!
Any help with tailgate parking suggestions for this Saturday would be appreciated. Where are good spots and do you need to pre-pay, and if so, how?
Many Thanks!

Scottpsurules,
You guys had a pretty good game Saturday as well. Their is houses right past lane stadium on south gate dr that offer parking for like $20. This will probably be your best option for a good atmosphere. Their is side streets in this area that offer pay for parking. The best option will be to get in town early and ride some side streets before the game. Their is all kinds of people that offer pay for parking. The houses off of south gate will also offer parking closest to the stadium. The team walks to the locker room on Beamers way which is close to this location I think 3 hrs before kick time.

Scottpsurules,
Where did u park and tailgate? How was the atmosphere? Did you enjoy your first game at lane? Was it what you was expecting? Sorry your first game was a soaker. Was the information I gave you valuable?

Hey twoliter
As always your info was great. Though we actually got parking at the Lions Club lot, cost $40, but we had multiple vehicles and did not want to take a chance. It was a great location, right next to stadium and convenient for my son and his friends to get to from campus. We had 15 people for tailgate, thankfully rain held off and we had a great time. Lots of great folks all around us to interact with. Am surprised how late the tailgating begins at VT, even for a night game, by 8AM in Happy Valley lots are packed and the party is on.
Game/stadium was a lot of fun, got a kick out of some of the Lane traditions. Key shake of 3rd down and paper airplanes.
We ended up bailing mid-third quarter though due to the rain....
Thanks again and lets kick some Miami butt this weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT