National Championship

Well, for me its no stretch at all, its an eye test, I watch every one of our games, and yours, and what I’m seeing is two very close teams. If we played again with the way we are playing defense and limiting turnovers it would go down to the wire again.

As for the credit I’ve given you, think about that. Nobody on this board (beside yourself) has given UVa more credit this year than I have from the beginning. When I thought they were playing the best basketball I said so. More than once. I’ve been consistently objective in my assessment of your team. No comment I have ever made would suggest they lucked into anything. When I say we’re equal at this time, that’s a compliment to how good I think UVa is because I think VT has really turned it up and playing at a high level. Duke is a heavily laden NBA lottery team playing in a different stratosphere from both of us. I’m not worried about the loss at Duke, we bounced right back from it. I expect a tough game from Louisville, they are literally playing to stay out of the NIT now. Miami can beat anybody at any time with some incredibly talented players. We have to maintain the edge we have been playing with to keep winning, nothing comes easy. If we do I also think we close out 2-1.
MrJolly.....we both just need to be glad we got 2 coaches that appear to be doing it the right way. Would really hate to be an Arizona fan right now, and I believe it’s only the beginning for the schools recruiting these one and done kids. I can only imagine the frustration of trying to recruit against some of these schools. I said when the NBA went to this stupid one year of college that it was a bad thing. It should be like baseball....you sign you play 3 years. I love college sports and dang if they aren’t trying to ruin that.

MrJolly.....we both just need to be glad we got 2 coaches that appear to be doing it the right way. Would really hate to be an Arizona fan right now, and I believe it’s only the beginning for the schools recruiting these one and done kids. I can only imagine the frustration of trying to recruit against some of these schools. I said when the NBA went to this stupid one year of college that it was a bad thing. It should be like baseball....you sign you play 3 years. I love college sports and dang if they aren’t trying to ruin that.
I think we have the 2 best young coaches in the ACC. Bennett and Buzz should probably share the COY this season. Either will be a legit pick IMO. Buzz has probably pulled his best coaching job in his career to get this team to the NCAA tournament against the ACC schedule they played. He is the real deal.

I think we have the 2 best young coaches in the ACC. Bennett and Buzz should probably share the COY this season. Either will be a legit pick IMO. Buzz has probably pulled his best coaching job in his career to get this team to the NCAA tournament against the ACC schedule they played. He is the real deal.
We do have 2 of the better young coaches for sure.....I would guess Tony wins COY over Buzz based on they were picked to finish 6th(UVA) and 7th(VT) preseason. Tony has exceeded that expectation more than Buzz and even gotten to the #1 ranking after not being ranked in the first poll. Buzz did a great job turning his team around but it started with defense, still don’t understand why he wasn’t teaching defense earlier in the season? Did he really believe he could run teams out of the gym? VT follows Buzz’s lead and for the first part of the year Buzz wasn’t his usual animated self, why? But credit to him for understanding he had to change and he did and VT has had a big turnaround.

We do have 2 of the better young coaches for sure.....I would guess Tony wins COY over Buzz based on they were picked to finish 6th(UVA) and 7th(VT) preseason. Tony has exceeded that expectation more than Buzz and even gotten to the #1 ranking after not being ranked in the first poll. Buzz did a great job turning his team around but it started with defense, still don’t understand why he wasn’t teaching defense earlier in the season? Did he really believe he could run teams out of the gym? VT follows Buzz’s lead and for the first part of the year Buzz wasn’t his usual animated self, why? But credit to him for understanding he had to change and he did and VT has had a big turnaround.
I don’t think Buzz thought he was going to run ACC teams out of the gym. I can’t buy that. I think his team was slow to mature, partly due to that OOC. I don’t think they were ready for the speed or intensity of the ACC game when conference play started. The important thing is he turned it around in the second half and got his team to play great basketball. To do that against this schedule was impressive, and COY worthy. Preseason picks are something I don’t pay much attention to, media people have no idea, they just automatically pick the same teams every year and re-order them based on who they lost and/or gained in McDonalds AAs. Bennett never gets the credit he should for the way his coaching impacts his team’s performance. On your criteria he would be COY every year. What makes him COY worthy to me is that he wins the regular season. In the ACC, anytime a coach can win it instead of Duke or UNC is COY worthy.

Well, for me its no stretch at all, its an eye test, I watch every one of our games, and yours, and what I’m seeing is two very close teams. If we played again with the way we are playing defense and limiting turnovers it would go down to the wire again.

As for the credit I’ve given you, think about that. Nobody on this board (beside yourself) has given UVa more credit this year than I have from the beginning. When I thought they were playing the best basketball I said so. More than once. I’ve been consistently objective in my assessment of your team. No comment I have ever made would suggest they lucked into anything. When I say we’re equal at this time, that’s a compliment to how good I think UVa is because I think VT has really turned it up and playing at a high level. Duke is a heavily laden NBA lottery team playing in a different stratosphere from both of us. I’m not worried about the loss at Duke, we bounced right back from it. I expect a tough game from Louisville, they are literally playing to stay out of the NIT now. Miami can beat anybody at any time with some incredibly talented players. We have to maintain the edge we have been playing with to keep winning, nothing comes easy. If we do I also think we close out 2-1.
My eye test doesn’t see us that close after watching today....home loss to a Louisville team that is reeling from all the bad press this week. This hurts trying to get the double bye unless you can pull a big upset against Duke. The middle of the pack where you are now is wild.....you could finish between 4th and 9th with only 2 games to go. I do believe you just wrapped up the COY for Bennett....

My eye test doesn’t see us that close after watching today....home loss to a Louisville team that is reeling from all the bad press this week. This hurts trying to get the double bye unless you can pull a big upset against Duke. The middle of the pack where you are now is wild.....you could finish between 4th and 9th with only 2 games to go. I do believe you just wrapped up the COY for Bennett....
Well, it did until today. I really thought the effort thing was fixed. This was really disappointing to see them come out and play this way again after all the progress they had made. It really pissed me off watching this shit.

Well, it did until today. I really thought the effort thing was fixed. This was really disappointing to see them come out and play this way again after all the progress they had made. It really pissed me off watching this shit.
I can understand your frustrations.....VT looks like world beaters one game and then unrecognizable the next. I still can’t believe the log jam in the middle of the pack of the ACC....if FSU wins tomorrow it will be 5 teams at 9-7.

I believe that UVA is the only ACC Team to win a National Baseball Trophy representing the ACC.

VT will be lucky to close out 1:1 after Saturday's disappointing loss. Maybe finish 2:2 after ACC tournament (22-11 overall) that would be a 10-11 seed at best.

I think Buzz has done a solid job this year, but there is only one coach of the year and it is clearly Bennett. What has Buzz done that Clemson's or NC State's coach has not done? To say he has separated himself from them and others and should be coach of the year with Bennett is reaching big time.

Also, if VT is even with Va. like you have said, why should the coach of a 9-7 ACC team share coach of the year with the coach of a 15-1 ACC team if they are "even"? Clearly, they are not as even as you seem to think.

Wow, mr jolly, after reading this thread, I am amazed at the Buzz COY and the VT is equal to UVA talk. Sure, VT has played a little better in the 2nd half of the season, but I see a 5-4 1st half with a nice win over NC, and so far a 4-3 2nd half with a nice win over Va. Even before the Louisville loss, it seems strange to ignore the recent Miami loss and ugly Duke loss and pretend VT was playing as well as UVA. Even after VT beat UVA, I feel confident saying I doubt anyone else out there would share the "teams are equal" talk. Let's at least try to keep it real.

Wow, mr jolly, after reading this thread, I am amazed at the Buzz COY and the VT is equal to UVA talk. Sure, VT has played a little better in the 2nd half of the season, but I see a 5-4 1st half with a nice win over NC, and so far a 4-3 2nd half with a nice win over Va. Even before the Louisville loss, it seems strange to ignore the recent Miami loss and ugly Duke loss and pretend VT was playing as well as UVA. Even after VT beat UVA, I feel confident saying I doubt anyone else out there would share the "teams are equal" talk. Let's at least try to keep it real.
Well, since you speak for “everyone else out there”, I guess I better keep my opinions to myself when you’re around, or you’ll tell me what I should or shouldn’t say, at which time I will surely go all to pieces.

Sorry about that, mr jolly. I see where you are coming from. I should have left out the last part of my post. My mistake.

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/22586745/predictions-every-conference-tournament

Look at this! (ESPN story mentioning VT in the same breath with UVa!). They should be roundly criticized for such sacrilege?

Or....maybe they think they are seeing some of the same dynamics I tried to express, and of course, we are both delusional.
You have great wins and poor loses....that’s the real difference in UVA and VT. Consistency is the difference.....you can beat anyone but you can also lose to anyone. You never know which VT team will show up.

You have great wins and poor loses....that’s the real difference in UVA and VT. Consistency is the difference.....you can beat anyone but you can also lose to anyone. You never know which VT team will show up.
I don’t disagree with that. Of course, that doesn’t conflict with any of my stated opinions either, which I’m glad to debate with anyone. Still, what we have done with consistency since the Miami loss was to conquer our turnover demons of the early season. And improved our defense somewhat consistently. We are pretty much outplaying all our competition in TO’s now and matching defensive intensity. What hasn’t been consistent is our rebounding, which we continue to have decent days sometimes and then come the days that just absolutely sink us. I made the mistake of thinking we might have turned that corner and then came the 17 rebound drubbing against Louisville. Its hard to win any game you get beat by 17 boards. Drives me crazy. I expect it from Duke, with their front line the size of an imaginary Trumpwall, but when we get on the boards against other teams and limit the gap, then we become as hard to beat as your team consistently is. I know we aren’t going to out rebound a lot of teams, but we have to limit the gap consistently to become a consistent team. That I readily acknowledge we haven’t done as well as UVa.

Leave it to mr jolly to make me keep taking up for UVA, but I am not sure how someone calling VT a sleeper means they are equal to UVA.

You really cannot have it both ways here. Either they are equal to soon to be #1 overall seed UVA, and Buzz must have done a poor coaching job to leave them with only an 8 or 9 type seed, or they are clearly a few notches below UVA and Buzz has done a solid job to get them to the dance.

UVA has lost 1 game by 1 point since Dec. 5th. Just this month, when you claim VT has turned things around and been equal to UVA, VT has lost games by 9, 23, and 7 points.

Has VT played better lately? Yes. Has VT beaten real good teams? Yes. Has Buzz done a solid job? Yes. Does this mean they should be called equal to UVA right now? No. Not even close.

I think we should enjoy the job Buzz has done and be thrilled with what will probably be an 8 or 9 seed, if not better with a few more wins, instead of trying to compare this team to a soon to be clear #1 overall seed team.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
By the way, that same article has over 75,000 votes on who will win the ACC tourney. UVA was at 45%, VT at 8%. So, if you are trying to prove your "they are equal" point, this was probably not the best article to share. ;)

Reactions: Hoos19NC
By the way, that same article has over 75,000 votes on who will win the ACC tourney. UVA was at 45%, VT at 8%. So, if you are trying to prove your "they are equal" point, this was probably not the best article to share. ;)

There's nothing to "prove." It's just his opinion. Ease up off his jock, man.

Yes, his opinion and he has said he welcomes debating about it. Sorry if it bothered you or him that I did not share his opinion. Forgive me for thinking I could diagree and also debate by sharing reasons why I disagree. I thought that was what message boards were about. Guess not. Should I just say "i disagree" and nothing else?

Nevermind. Geez, no wonder no one ever posts on here anymore.

Yes, his opinion and he has said he welcomes debating about it. Sorry if it bothered you or him that I did not share his opinion. Forgive me for thinking I could diagree and also debate by sharing reasons why I disagree. I thought that was what message boards were about. Guess not. Should I just say "i disagree" and nothing else?

There's nothing wrong with debate or discussion and obviously we'd love a more active community. Your responses just seemed awfully aggressive and dismissive and without any real provocation is all.

Heaks got it exactly right. I have tried to “prove” nothing.

You want to debate me? Try a different posting style. You haven’t debated any of the rationale I gave for my opinions. When you do, I’ll debate you. But all you do is cite your own opinions and scold me for what I “shouldn’t” say, like the politically correct police.

Just need sum more Truffle dogs. we gonna get em and have em comin. Truffle Dogs play under the rim on tha inside. Hellhounds are plentiful. We got enuff of dem 2 already make Hoottyhoos a prison girl at least 1 time a year.

Just need sum more Truffle dogs. we gonna get em and have em comin. Truffle Dogs play under the rim on tha inside. Hellhounds are plentiful. We got enuff of dem 2 already make Hoottyhoos a prison girl at least 1 time a year.
Unfortunately, I don’t think we have any new Truffle Dogs in the pipeline for next year. Just more Hellhounds. And we are getting Sy back to spell Blackshear, and Horne moving to the 4. So we’ll have more, and more experienced - Truffle Dogs. Perhaps enough to make Hootyhoos a prison girl at least once a year, Unless....Hootyhoos have more Truffle Dogs.

Hoo19, do Hootyhoos have any Truffle Dogs coming? We should figure this out.

Unfortunately, I don’t think we have any new Truffle Dogs in the pipeline for next year. Just more Hellhounds. And we are getting Sy back to spell Blackshear, and Horne moving to the 4. So we’ll have more, and more experienced - Truffle Dogs. Perhaps enough to make Hootyhoos a prison girl at least once a year, Unless....Hootyhoos have more Truffle Dogs.

Hoo19, do Hootyhoos have any Truffle Dogs coming? We should figure this out.
We have a good one that redshirted this year but I’m not sure if he’s a Truffle Dog or a Hellhound....I guess time will tell.

After a tough work day, right now I am attempting to find some software to translate these posts... currently, I anticipate Notty's ramblings.

Latest posts