ADVERTISEMENT

Next season expectations

VT/UK Rondo

Hokie Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2009
I keep reading posters on other sites saying that next year will be a nightmare at VT. Why? With the way the last regime failed to develope players it's hard to tell exactly how much talent is left in the locker room.
There's more raw talent in the OL room than I can ever remember. Bring in a OL coach like Rudolph (hopefully) and the sky is the limit. At VT weve certainly seen alot more with alot less from the Oline. I dont expect anybody in the QB room to be coached into the next Tom Brady but do they really have to be? We have a room full of RBs and at least 2 receivers in Smith and Lofton that have shown promise. Is it really that much of a stretch to see a Payoute, Wright or Lawson have a breakout season? On defense who do we really lose that can't be replaced? William's didn't make that much of an impact and Barno was invisible for much of the season. Waller will be missed but hes replaceable. Next man up, right? Trading JHamm for Pry on defense should be huge.
I dont expect to win the ACC but I think we should be in about every game and be bowl eligible.

I keep reading posters on other sites saying that next year will be a nightmare at VT. Why? With the way the last regime failed to develope players it's hard to tell exactly how much talent is left in the locker room.
There's more raw talent in the OL room than I can ever remember. Bring in a OL coach like Rudolph (hopefully) and the sky is the limit. At VT weve certainly seen alot more with alot less from the Oline. I dont expect anybody in the QB room to be coached into the next Tom Brady but do they really have to be? We have a room full of RBs and at least 2 receivers in Smith and Lofton that have shown promise. Is it really that much of a stretch to see a Payoute, Wright or Lawson have a breakout season? On defense who do we really lose that can't be replaced? William's didn't make that much of an impact and Barno was invisible for much of the season. Waller will be missed but hes replaceable. Next man up, right? Trading JHamm for Pry on defense should be huge.
I dont expect to win the ACC but I think we should be in about every game and be bowl eligible.
I do think there will be some issues wining consistently next year. You have a new HC, almost all new assistant coaches, only 3-5 started on offense and defense returning. While we will have some talent, lack of quality second and third depth will greatly impact games. You have to have that due to injuries and not having starters log so many minutes. Not to mention, that we currently have only three scholarship QBs next year. One can power run but can’t throw a decent pass past 5 yards (VA game showed that), R-F that has never taken a snap in a real game and one that hasn’t hit campus yet.

The key will be who Pry is able to bring in from the portal. If he finds quality players at the positions of need to fill out the roster then that will go a long way toward having a better season. As is, we will be lucky to win 6 games next year.

Valid points, I just don't think they apply to this team like they generally would. The previous staff was so bad I think a coaching change is going to be an advantage instead of a disadvantage. These kids weren't getting developed. They weren't playing to win and they weren't playing loose. Depth might be an issue but when have we ever leaned on depth? Even under Beamer we didn't have waves of 4star talent waiting to play. There has always been a huge drop between starters and backups. QB is a real issue but I still think we got enough to scratch out 6 wins...and that's no worse than were we currently stand. Folks act like we will be lucky to win a game next year.

We don't have a starting QB on the roster. I think the o line will be better as the season goes. Without a QB from the transfer portal, 3-4 wins. Blumrick's style of play leads to injury. We also become one dimensional, with no real threat to pass the ball. Its hard to run when the box is stacked.

Reactions: VT/UK Rondo
We don't have a starting QB on the roster. I think the o line will be better as the season goes. Without a QB from the transfer portal, 3-4 wins. Blumrick's style of play leads to injury. We also become one dimensional, with no real threat to pass the ball. Its hard to run when the box is stacked.
With a chance to step in and win the job from day 1, I am sure the coaching staff will be able to get someone to transfer in.

I can't help but think Pry has a QB from the portal already. Maybe a silent? Maybe somebody that is waiting till after their bowl to enter the portal?Why else would Burmeister leave a guaranteed starting spot with a competant staff coming in that dont try to get you killed. Makes no sense.

If the Pinstripe Bowl is any indication next year will not be a good year. MD is good on offense this year, but bad on defense. We only have 10 points on the worst defense in the Big 10. We have a long way to go.

If we don’t find a capable QB in the portal we will be lucky to win two games next year.

When was the last time a Hokie improved from his Freshman year? Who was the last QB to come in and be developed that wasn't already somewhat developed when he arrived? FEW if any players got better under the previous staff. They rode it out on the raw talent the kids had coming out of HS. VT has never had a roster full of 4star talent and they never will. They have to be developed. Fu was clueless, his assistants were clueless and thus the players were clueless. What's worse, he instilled a lack of confidence in them by playing so damn scared. There's alot of athleticism on this team but it has to be developed. I dont expect Tahj to emerge as Tom Brady next season but somebody that knows what they are doing could work wonders with this young man. I dont expect to win the coastal but dammit there is no reason this team shouldn't get to 500 with a new staff and new attitude.

Pry has a free 2 year pass to turn things around. I expect recruiting to get better and these players need time to learn and start. I say don't worry about next year, just hope for next year. Be thankful with what we have. What we have is a 2022 recruiting class about 9th in the ACC even with coach Fuentes leaving. Perhaps coach Pry will use his charm and connections to get the skill players he can from the transfer portal in the short term. I'll bet he builds the family culture back and we loose fewer transfers and more kids that want to stick it out thru thick and thin.

Last edited:
The ACC is weak and our schedule is weak next season. The ooc opponents plus UVA and Duke should get us 5 to 6 wins at least. With the portal and some coaches that know what they are doing, I think this thing gets turned around quicker than most think.

Remember this post. Bradshaw will break records at Tech before it's over. I really don't think most fans realize the caliber of player we got at WR. Betcha money, he starts by game 4. To electric. His talent will be evident in practice from day one and coaches won't be able to keep him off the field. As good as Robinson at WR was, I promise you, not in the same league as the kid coming from Bluefield. Wait until he houses a kickoff return. That's gonna happen a whole lot in Blacksburg over the next few years. Absolute dynamite.

Remember this post. Bradshaw will break records at Tech before it's over. I really don't think most fans realize the caliber of player we got at WR. Betcha money, he starts by game 4. To electric. His talent will be evident in practice from day one and coaches won't be able to keep him off the field. As good as Robinson at WR was, I promise you, not in the same league as the kid coming from Bluefield. Wait until he houses a kickoff return. That's gonna happen a whole lot in Blacksburg over the next few years. Absolute dynamite.
I keep seeing posts like this for Bradshaw on other boards and FB pages. Even a pod cast by an over the top Notre Dame fan, calling him the next Percy Harvin.

Last edited:
I keep seeing posts like this for Bradshaw on other boards and FB pages. Even a pod cast by an over the top Norte Dame fan, calling him the next Percy Harvin.
So many people in and around the SWVA area have seen the kid since he was a sophomore and he's just different. Having watched HS Football for many years, decades even, you just know when you have one that is special and different. He's all that he's billed up to be. How high was he rated by Notre Dame's lead recruiting analyst? Notre Dame's lead recruiting analyst put out a podcaast on Notre Dame's 2022 recruiting class and he analyzed a bunch of their players. He literally stated, "Bradshaw is not just a must get for us, he is the Best recruit in the entire class." That's lofty stuff, and that's not a fan, that's one of their very own. If you ask people in SWVA, they will tell you the same thing. He played for a small Class 2 school, away from major cities in far SWVA, and if he would have played for an Oscar Smith or Varina, Lake Braddock or Stone Bridge, he would have been at the very least, a high 4 star, likely 5 star. The Notre Dame analyst said that also. He didn't mention the names of the schools I did, but he mentioned the 3 star ranking due to playing at a small school and in a fairly remote location compared to most.

For anyone reading this outside of SWVA that hasn't seen the kid play, I don't expect you do believe me. I certainly can't make you believe me. But I promise you, you will believe me pretty soon after he gets on the field. There's a reason so many in SWVA that have seen him play are shouting to the rooftops. There is certainly a reason.

I'm glad VT is keeping an eye on SWVA. Back in the day alot of talent come out of Bluefield, Tazewell, Richlands, Gate City etc.. Coach Litz at Tazewell and Coach Collabro at Gate City sent several kids to Tech.

I'm glad VT is keeping an eye on SWVA. Back in the day alot of talent come out of Bluefield, Tazewell, Richlands, Gate City etc.. Coach Litz at Tazewell and Coach Collabro at Gate City sent several kids to Tech.
Absolutely VT/UK Rondo. Our program was heavily influenced by SWVA and Central Va kids from Grundy to Nottoway. We have to get back in this area and win this area. For example, with Fu, there are 2 junior safety's Tech just chose not to offer in Cam Allen from Graham and Javon Scruggs from Appomattox. Their coaches screamed and shouted to the rooftops, sent in film, did everything possible to get Tech's attention. Scruggs at Liberty is projected as a 4th round safety in the 2023 Draft and Cam Allen of Purdue, projected 4th round. Ben Cox, Radford, great player, went to Vandy, starts on the OL as a sophomore and will likely be a future NFL player. We can't have misses like this anymore when many of these kids (not all, but many) are raised Tech fans.

I remember back in the day in the 90's, guys like All American Jake Houseright of Gate City, Chad Beasely of GC, Rusty Pendleton- a vicious Tech linebacker from Gate City, Tazewell's Stephon Holloway, DT, Steve Mitchem of Tazewell, safety, Luke Owens of Grundy, OL on the 1999-2000 team starter, Browing Wynn, Lee High, and so many more from Central VA like Jake Grove, the Martinsville and Blacksburg and Giles kids, and all the great ones from Central Va's Piedmont District. We have got to regain this area and find these kids in these areas because we did pretty dang well with them in the late 90's as a huge part of our roster didn't just come from the Tidewater, but many from Central and SWVA.

How about getting to be the program of choice for VA? Beamer never even got anyone in the top 5 in VA. He used to get 2-3 in the bottom half of the top 10 and maybe 4-5 in the top 20. I wish I had a dollar for every Richmond, Tri-Cities, Northern VA, and 757 area code kid on the roster of Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Clemson.

Last edited:
How about getting to be the program of choice for VA? Beamer never even got anyone in the top 5 in VA. He used to get 2-3 in the bottom half of the top 10 and maybe 4-5 in the top 20. I wish I had a dollar for every Richmond, Tri-Cities, Northern VA, and 757 area code kid on the roster of Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Clemson.
I would love it. I hope we can take back the Tidewater, Nova, Richmond, and Tri-Cities

I like Pry is recreating that lost culture that was VT. With the portal and the state of HS athletics, unless you are a blue blood program or one with big money donors that can constantly reload with elite talent, it's probably best to recruit the kids that WANT to be Hokies. That tough, chip on your shoulder, hard work and development, protect this house mentality and identity is what made VT football so great and made Lane Stadium such a nightmare to come into.
I still believe there is alot of untapped talent on the roster that just has not been developed. It says alot when a kid has great HS tape, shows great potential in year one, then only gets marginally better after 2-3 yrs in the program. Hopefully that will all change.

I would love it. I hope we can take back the Tidewater, Nova, Richmond, and Tri-Cities
Geez! I just noticed UNC has killed us in the last few years getting our talent. Look at their 2019, 2020, and 2021 commits! Mack Brown has killed us in recruiting.

Geez! I just noticed UNC has killed us in the last few years getting our talent. Look at their 2019, 2020, and 2021 commits! Mack Brown has killed us in recruiting.
Not Mack but Bly and that's about run its course. lol
A whole lotta jibber jabber on Twitter after the bowl loss about 757 talent being sent to UNC and being wasted and not developed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT