ADVERTISEMENT

Our new coach needs to get the best talent from our own state

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Heck, the best RB in the nation at OSU (TreVeyon Henderson) is from Hopewell, VA.

Another great one at Notre Dame (Chris Tyree) is from Chester, VA.

There are 7 Virginians on Penn State's roster and 4 on Michigan's.

In the past I've hated schools that come in VA to take our talent but a buddy said I needed to hate our VT coaches for NOT getting them.

Maybe he's right.

Last edited:
That's why I'm big on Huff. I think he could impact recruiting in the DMV immediately. Not only has he recruited the Hokie footprint but hes landed some top talent. When he sells "This is home" to a recruit he would mean it.

Reactions: Windows NT
A few yrs back, 4 of Bama's starters on defense was from Virginia.
Clemson and Ohio State have done there fair share of poaching Va recruits as well.

In state recruits should go to VT, if offered. I've never understood why recruits leave Virginia and go to Big 10 schools. High school coaches should shun Big 10 coaches who come after 3,4 or 5 star recruits.

In state recruits should go to VT, if offered. I've never understood why recruits leave Virginia and go to Big 10 schools. High school coaches should shun Big 10 coaches who come after 3,4 or 5 star recruits.
It's the coaches job to convince them to do it.

If I were a 5* recruit, I would want to go to a school that would prepare me for the NFL and has a chance of winning a National Championship. There are many schools that can do the former (VT is one of those). There are only a few schools that can do the latter (under the current CP system - AL, GA, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame to name a few). There are a few others that come to mind - OK, OSU, FSU, TexasA&M, FL, Miami that the media thinks should be in the running. VT and Penn State do not come to mind (at least not in the last 2 decades).

There have been discussions of expanding the CP to 12 teams. I agree with that as it would greatly expand the number of teams that could win a championship and there would be 11 games of relevance during the bowl season (rather than the 3 games under the current system). I would suggest the 10 conference champions be in the playoff and 2 at large teams. The 4 highest rated conference champions would receive a bye. The next 4 rated teams would host the bottom 4 teams. The winners would play the 4 bye teams. These games would be major bowl sites along with the semi-finals and championship game. Some argue that this would be too many games - but this would only add 1 additional game for the 2 teams that reach the championship than the current system. It could be 2 additional games if a team from the lower 8 makes the championship (but under the current system these teams have zero chance (since they are not in the playoffs at all). My point is that now you can play for your in-state school and have a chance to win a national championship. Wow, what a concept that conference championships matter!

Heck, the best RB in the nation at OSU (TreVeyon Henderson) is from Hopewell, VA.

Another great one at Notre Dame (Chris Tyree) is from Chester, VA.

There are 7 Virginians on Penn State's roster and 4 on Michigan's.

In the past I've hated schools that come in VA to take our talent but a buddy said I needed to hate our VT coaches for NOT getting them.

Maybe he's right.
Not far down the Road. Xayvion Bradshaw listed by Notre Dame as their "best get" and is considered by their staff, as their most elite recruit. He's a high 3 star and would be a 4 if playing at a larger school. He plays at Graham, a Class 2A school.

A team takes on the identity of their coach. Right now, we really dont have that identity. We appear "soft" and play uninspired alot. Weve got guys who have been in the program 3-4 years and haven't really gotten any better or bigger. I want the best talent in the state but I would also like to see that 3star raw recruit get developed and play with some damn heart, swagger and confidence. We have a bunch of upper 3stars and a few 4stars that have never even contributed. We got starters that play like they dont want to hit. Conner might be the only current player to make a Bud Foster roster and that is just sad.

Reactions: Fairlawncat
OK Pry used to get our kids to play for Penn State. Let's see if he can get them to stay in VA.

At least wear Hokie gear and be proud and visible at high school games, unlike someone else I read about.

If I were a 5* recruit, I would want to go to a school that would prepare me for the NFL and has a chance of winning a National Championship. There are many schools that can do the former (VT is one of those). There are only a few schools that can do the latter (under the current CP system - AL, GA, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame to name a few). There are a few others that come to mind - OK, OSU, FSU, TexasA&M, FL, Miami that the media thinks should be in the running. VT and Penn State do not come to mind (at least not in the last 2 decades).

There have been discussions of expanding the CP to 12 teams. I agree with that as it would greatly expand the number of teams that could win a championship and there would be 11 games of relevance during the bowl season (rather than the 3 games under the current system). I would suggest the 10 conference champions be in the playoff and 2 at large teams. The 4 highest rated conference champions would receive a bye. The next 4 rated teams would host the bottom 4 teams. The winners would play the 4 bye teams. These games would be major bowl sites along with the semi-finals and championship game. Some argue that this would be too many games - but this would only add 1 additional game for the 2 teams that reach the championship than the current system. It could be 2 additional games if a team from the lower 8 makes the championship (but under the current system these teams have zero chance (since they are not in the playoffs at all). My point is that now you can play for your in-state school and have a chance to win a national championship. Wow, what a concept that conference championships matter!
Ok no expansion was approved. Back to AL, GA, Ohio State and Clemson (maybe) for the 2023 National Championship!

Ok no expansion was approved. Back to AL, GA, Ohio State and Clemson (maybe) for the 2023 National Championship!
12 is a bad number for CFP expansion. No team should get a bye, much less 4. If they expand, go to 8 or 16. and no conference champion should be automatically given a berth. Most years, the 2nd or 3rd best team in SEC would be better than Big 10 champion.

You are missing my point that conference championships would mean something for every conference. There are certainly better teams than some of the conference champions. There are probably a dozen teams better than WF/PITT (ACC 2021 Champion) that are not in the CFP that did not win their conferences. Also, the discussion for expansion was for 12 teams (8 and 16 were not part of this year's expansion discussion to my knowledge but could be in the future)

The 12 team deal was just to ensure Big 10 and PAC 12 got a team in playoffs. But it's great to see Notre Dame, Ohio State ,Oklahoma and Oregon sitting home during playoffs this year. I'm sure the selection committee is still crying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT