ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Stinney to JMU

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Wouldn't it be ironic if they started scoring all over the place? That his O was being held back all those years?

That was for equipment manager.

Show me a link where he was offered a p5 job coaching.

not hardly;) you do know he turned down an asst job at the U, to stay closer to his family in Blacksburg.

YOu know, I give Stiney this: While he was OC of a terrible offense ranked below 90, he went into blue chips' homes and convinced them it was in their best interest to come play for him. He has to be ONE HELLUVA people person.

YOu know, I give Stiney this: While he was OC of a terrible offense ranked below 90, he went into blue chips' homes and convinced them it was in their best interest to come play for him. He has to be ONE HELLUVA people person.
That was for equipment manager.

Show me a link where he was offered a p5 job coaching.
http://virginiatech.247sports.com/Board/59428/Contents/Stinespring--43178934 there you can doubt Dwight Vick and not me.

the average of Bryan's total offense in his 11 seasons was 66.63 in the country,
Season Rushing offense Passing offense Total offense ‡ Scoring offense
Actual
†Ranking (Conf) Actual †Ranking (Conf) Actual †Ranking (Conf) Actual †Ranking (Conf)
2002[6]
212.43 #19 (#2 BE) 159.21 #99 (#7 BE) 371.64 #64 (#5 BE) 30.64 #30 (#2 BE)
2003[7] 209.31 #17 (#2 BE) 192.46 #82 (#6 BE) 401.77 #38 (#3 BE) 35.38 #12 (#1 BE)
2004[8] 178.23 #32 (#3 ACC) 187.31 #80 (#6 ACC) 365.54 #65 (#4 ACC) 30.77 #25 (#2 ACC)
2005[9] 190.69 #29 (#2 ACC) 190.23 #91 (#9 ACC) 380.92 #57 (#4 ACC) 33.85 #17 (#1 ACC)
2006[10] 113.38 #90 (#7 ACC) 181.77 #82 (#8 ACC) 295.15 #99 (#9 ACC) 25.85 #49 (#4 ACC)
2007[11] 133.64 #82 (#7 ACC) 196.86 #85 (#9 ACC) 330.50 #100 (#8 ACC) 28.71 #53 (#2 ACC)
2008[12] 174.36 #35 (#3 ACC) 129.07 #111 (#11 ACC) 301.43 #103 (#11 ACC) 22.07 #90 (#8 ACC)
2009[13] 208.15 #14 (#2 ACC) 183.92 #95 (#9 ACC) 392.08 #50 (#6 ACC) 31.85 #24 (#4 ACC)
2010[14] 198.71 #23 (#2 ACC) 203.57 #72 (#8 ACC) 402.29 #41 (#5 ACC) 33.86 #21 (#1 ACC)
2011[15] 186.86 #28 (#2 ACC) 226.14 #66 (#9 ACC) 413.00 #35 (#3 ACC) 27.93 #57 (#6 ACC)
2012[16] 145.85 #79 (#5 ACC) 230.92 #64 (#9 ACC) 376.77 #81 (#9 ACC) 25.08 #81 (#8 ACC)
*All statistics from the NCAA

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
His players consider him an excellent coach.

If it doesn't work out at JMU for Stiney he can coach Harrisonburg High School.....their coach sucks.

Short memories. Stinespring is the reason our O was ineffective. He ran our program into the ground and forget the bull about him being an ace recruiter. Glad that sorry sack is gone.

Short memories. Stinespring is the reason our O was ineffective. He ran our program into the ground and forget the bull about him being an ace recruiter. Glad that sorry sack is gone.

Au contraire, my fine Hokie friend. It is you who are short... on good information and, apparently, humility. CBS was clearly our most effective recruiter (good by any standards) for years. He may well have been our best recruiter ever, but you can make case for Cav, too. If you want to point the finger of blame at anything, try pointing to our recruiting results. Primarily, our consistent inability to recruit quality OL resulted in the offensive offense we all hated watching. Point to any skill guys you want to (and we had some great ones), but they aren't spit w/o the big uglies. And it only takes one...ONE bad OL guy to wreck an offense. We had a couple who were D3 horrid and others merely ACC awful.

I'm betting you simply don't know enough to accurately assess his abilities as a coach or a recruiter. His players say he is a excellent coach, so why in the world should we accept your shallow analysis? The offense sucked. Therefore, he is to blame? He is "the reason..." Riiiiiiiight.

As for calling him "a sorry sack," that speaks for itself.

Au contraire, my fine Hokie friend. It is you who are short... on good information and, apparently, humility. CBS was clearly our most effective recruiter (good by any standards) for years. He may well have been our best recruiter ever, but you can make case for Cav, too. If you want to point the finger of blame at anything, try pointing to our recruiting results. Primarily, our consistent inability to recruit quality OL resulted in the offensive offense we all hated watching. Point to any skill guys you want to (and we had some great ones), but they aren't spit w/o the big uglies. And it only takes one...ONE bad OL guy to wreck an offense. We had a couple who were D3 horrid and others merely ACC awful.

I'm betting you simply don't know enough to accurately assess his abilities as a coach or a recruiter. His players say he is a excellent coach, so why in the world should we accept your shallow analysis? The offense sucked. Therefore, he is to blame? He is "the reason..." Riiiiiiiight.

As for calling him "a sorry sack," that speaks for itself.

I had already researched the 4 yrs his offenses were 81 or below and he didn't bring in anything over 3 star during those yrs.. In that time, Cav brought in six 4stars. I don't think Stinespring is even in the same area code as Cav was wrt recruiting. Granted, I didn't research the previous yrs but I can't imagine it being much different but I'll concede it's possible. Wadr, I've never thought he was a spectacular recruiter, or anything over average. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's a given his players like him. He's a good person. But as for a coach/OC, I think there would be some evidence of him being offered positions from other than D9 schools if he was that good. And I don't mean hearsay that Saban and Meyer offered him a job while hammering drafts at applebees.

I had already researched the 4 yrs his offenses were 81 or below and he didn't bring in anything over 3 star during those yrs.. In that time, Cav brought in six 4stars. I don't think Stinespring is even in the same area code as Cav was wrt recruiting. Granted, I didn't research the previous yrs but I can't imagine it being much different but I'll concede it's possible. Wadr, I've never thought he was a spectacular recruiter, or anything over average. Maybe I'm missing something.

It's a given his players like him. He's a good person. But as for a coach/OC, I think there would be some evidence of him being offered positions from other than D9 schools if he was that good. And I don't mean hearsay that Saban and Meyer offered him a job while hammering drafts at applebees.
It's not even arguable that be brought in a boatload of town want to Virginia Tech
According to those Close to CBS, he let it be known he was not leaving the area.
It's not just that his players "liked" him; they consider him a good coach.
Still need t adress the sorry OL that he had. Bud never once had to put up with anything like a Richard Graham, for instance. Not even Motu is close to being that bad.
Everybody knows our biggest issue right now is talent, but nobody is laying that at the feet of our coaches who have not recruited at all.

Last edited:
So wait...the players are admitting it was themselves that stunk to high heaven for all those years and not the coach?

That seems like a really odd thing for them to admit to considering that the players came and went by the boatloads over the years...and yet the substandard results stayed consistently bad. So how does a program like VT end up with such a solid coach...but also with several hundred really bad players? Who recruited these losers to play for VT and why were they so bad they couldn't be coached up to produce better results? Who decided to tie Stiney's shoelaces together by telling him he had to work within the roster full of losers presented to him instead of allowing him to go out and get some better players?

To have been such a good coaching staff, that seems like a really strange plan of attack to me. But I guess that's why they get paid the big bucks by VT. Oh wait, I remember now...they were all run out of town with their tails between their legs. Perhaps it seemed strange to a few other people as well.

It's not even arguable that be brought in a boatload of town want to Virginia Tech
According to those Close to CBS, he let it be known he was not leaving the area.
Still need t adress the sorry OL that he had. Bud never once had to put up with anything like a Richard Graham, for instance. Not even Motu is close to being that bad.
Everybody knows our biggest issue right now is talent, but nobody is laying that at the feet of our coaches who have not recruited at all.

I'm not debating what the players' emotions are or have been. For the record, not ALL players thought he was a good coach. At least two have spoken publicly about his offensive deficiencies, but I'm not trying to create a smear campaign. Meangelo loves him as a father figure, and he can say what he wants about him as a coach out of sympathy. But his body of work (below average OC) and current status as well as previous offers as a coach to date construct his merit and worth professionally, at least at this point. Maybe he will shine at JMU and we'll all find out the blame all along really should have been on the Sheriff.

This is pretty simple to me. If his value as a recruiter and coach was of any significance, wouldn't there have been some teams trying to snatch him away over the years? Seriously. I honestly don't remember a single d1 team offering him a position as even an assistant coach. I could be wrong but show me.

As for him not leaving the area, well, it sounds honorable and loyal. He's not leaving the area because there is nowhere to go.....he applied for a head coach job further from bburg than Ohio St is and lost out to the 39 yr old Satterfield with 3 yrs D1 OC experience at Temple, and do you really think he wouldn't have accepted that? Or any d1 position within 5-6 hrs away paying 3 times what he'll make at JMU?

I would love nothing more than for him to prove the numbers wrong and the Beamer coaching tree to develop another root. That would be great for VT. I doubt it will happen though because the facts and numbers trump the emotions and his outstanding character, which by the way has never been in question. I think he could be a good HC though, just because of his character and personality.

I went to a clinic once that he was a speaker at. he discussed a running play that was used inside the 10 yard line. It was a play that looked as if it would work 99 out of a 100 times. he had it on big screen and diagrammed all 11 players. It looked so good I could have scored running ball.

I say this because over the past few years, we were stopped many times inside 10 yard line.

I'm not debating what the players' emotions are or have been. For the record, not ALL players thought he was a good coach. At least two have spoken publicly about his offensive deficiencies, but I'm not trying to create a smear campaign. Meangelo loves him as a father figure, and he can say what he wants about him as a coach out of sympathy. But his body of work (below average OC) and current status as well as previous offers as a coach to date construct his merit and worth professionally, at least at this point. Maybe he will shine at JMU and we'll all find out the blame all along really should have been on the Sheriff.

This is pretty simple to me. If his value as a recruiter and coach was of any significance, wouldn't there have been some teams trying to snatch him away over the years? Seriously. I honestly don't remember a single d1 team offering him a position as even an assistant coach. I could be wrong but show me.

As for him not leaving the area, well, it sounds honorable and loyal. He's not leaving the area because there is nowhere to go.....he applied for a head coach job further from bburg than Ohio St is and lost out to the 39 yr old Satterfield with 3 yrs D1 OC experience at Temple, and do you really think he wouldn't have accepted that? Or any d1 position within 5-6 hrs away paying 3 times what he'll make at JMU?

I would love nothing more than for him to prove the numbers wrong and the Beamer coaching tree to develop another root. That would be great for VT. I doubt it will happen though because the facts and numbers trump the emotions and his outstanding character, which by the way has never been in question. I think he could be a good HC though, just because of his character and personality.

Don't make me pull this car over, young man!

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Hey if Stinestrings gets an OC job somewhere and starts blowing it up, I'm gonna pee on Frank's lawn.

Ok, mostly kidding about that.

Reactions: Salemite
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT