ADVERTISEMENT

Serving myself crow and saying goodbye

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
1. I was wrong on my pick with Chad Morris and admit it. I was going my the info given. I am serving myself crow. I told ya, if correct, I would be patting myself on the back. If wrong, I would quickly come on and admit it.

2. The timing of this is fun. Come January, I'm Sochi, Russia bound for about 335 days per year, so I leave the U.S right at the time of the transition.

3. Thankfully, Coach Beamer and the old offensive regime at VT is gone. VT was smart to keep Shane Beamer. This one, they were spot on and the guy has intensity and fervor. You want someone like that in your program. Of course, Stiney is gone. He is not being retained from everything I've read and that is critically important for the change of our culture on offense and recruiting. Things are looking up for VT and the future.

4. This will be my last post on HokieHaven.

Peace,

Yeah Lucus, they have electricity in Russia, just outside johns to crap in for a while, but you can post while your sitting on wood over a hole!

1. I was wrong on my pick with Chad Morris and admit it. I was going my the info given. I am serving myself crow. I told ya, if correct, I would be patting myself on the back. If wrong, I would quickly come on and admit it.

2. The timing of this is fun. Come January, I'm Sochi, Russia bound for about 335 days per year, so I leave the U.S right at the time of the transition.

3. Thankfully, Coach Beamer and the old offensive regime at VT is gone. VT was smart to keep Shane Beamer. This one, they were spot on and the guy has intensity and fervor. You want someone like that in your program. Of course, Stiney is gone. He is not being retained from everything I've read and that is critically important for the change of our culture on offense and recruiting. Things are looking up for VT and the future.

4. This will be my last post on HokieHaven.

Peace,
Reports today aren't saying Shane is part of the deal. Just Foster and possibly Wiles. Looks like even TG is gone.

Hope he wasn't the only one they interviewed.....didn't work out well when UVA hired London without interviewing anyone else. You just never know how these things work out.

Lucustookis - Safe travels. Together we have witnessed years of brutal BS on this board from the likes of KER, pckank, 1burgfan, etc. While you might have missed the mark a bit on the new coach, you were dead on with commentary about the pressing need for new leadership. Going to Russia is one hell of an adventure. I wish you the best in the next chapter of your life. VTpcb.

Hope he wasn't the only one they interviewed.....didn't work out well when UVA hired London without interviewing anyone else. You just never know how these things work out.
That was a totally different scenario.

i was wondering about Torrian Gray.... he has been our top recruiter for the past few years... i thought if Bud did leave that that TG might be promoted to defensive coordinator

Per Teel's article today, Bud specifically asked Fuente to retain Wiles and Gray. It will be Fuente's decision.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind keeping Shane, Loeffler, and Burden.

Shane because he's has great perspective on the program, is a great personality on the recruiting trail, and has some intangible "legacy" quality. Plus, I think he's getting better and better every year at coaching. Unless there is someone clearly better out there that Fuente can pull in quickly, I don't see the need for Shane to leave. That being said, if there is any doubt that Fuente is the one in charge, then those folks need to leave. I like that it sounds like Foster and Fuente are on the same page. I don't think Shane would get in the way of that. He's a big boy and knows how this stuff works. At the end of the day, I believe Shane would do whatever it takes for VT to be successful. If that means getting out of the way, I think he would, but I also believe he can still make a positive contribution to the program.

Loeffler because I don't think we've had a harder working coach in what seems like forever. I think his game strategies were generally pretty good, but it wasn't executed well most of the time because of the complicated routes and schemes that were used. If he stays on for a transition year as a QB coach or to help whatever OC Fuente thinks he needs, I could actually see that being helpful to Fuente and to the program. Besides, give someone like SL the opportunity to learn and get better and I think he'll be outstanding in the long run. The dude knows his stuff.

Burden because he's reportedly an outstanding recruiter and a fundamentally sound WR coach. It sounds like Fuente's WR coach is crazy good but may also be able to coach RBs. Perhaps we can keep Burden around another year and find a way to leverage his skillset.

I can't see everyone on the Memphis staff moving to Blacksburg, so it will be interesting to see what Fuente does to piece together his coaching staff.

Foster and two others have already been announced. That leaves 6 positions that still need to be filled with the best available coaching/recruiting talent.

Last thing a new HBC needs is a foot stuck in the past with Shane. Sorry but his fundamental X and Os coaching is lacking. Without his last name, you would not see him on any staff of a major program. Let's get on with the future and support our new HBC unencumberred with legacy carryover problems, i.e Shane and Stiney.

Last thing a new HBC needs is a foot stuck in the past with Shane. Sorry but his fundamental X and Os coaching is lacking. Without his last name, you would not see him on any staff of a major program. Let's get on with the future and support our new HBC unencumberred with legacy carryover problems, i.e Shane and Stiney.
I agree his x and o is lacking but he might be a great recruiter if he could just focus on that.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind keeping Shane, Loeffler, and Burden.

Shane because he's has great perspective on the program, is a great personality on the recruiting trail, and has some intangible "legacy" quality. Plus, I think he's getting better and better every year at coaching. Unless there is someone clearly better out there that Fuente can pull in quickly, I don't see the need for Shane to leave. That being said, if there is any doubt that Fuente is the one in charge, then those folks need to leave. I like that it sounds like Foster and Fuente are on the same page. I don't think Shane would get in the way of that. He's a big boy and knows how this stuff works. At the end of the day, I believe Shane would do whatever it takes for VT to be successful. If that means getting out of the way, I think he would, but I also believe he can still make a positive contribution to the program.

Loeffler because I don't think we've had a harder working coach in what seems like forever. I think his game strategies were generally pretty good, but it wasn't executed well most of the time because of the complicated routes and schemes that were used. If he stays on for a transition year as a QB coach or to help whatever OC Fuente thinks he needs, I could actually see that being helpful to Fuente and to the program. Besides, give someone like SL the opportunity to learn and get better and I think he'll be outstanding in the long run. The dude knows his stuff.

Burden because he's reportedly an outstanding recruiter and a fundamentally sound WR coach. It sounds like Fuente's WR coach is crazy good but may also be able to coach RBs. Perhaps we can keep Burden around another year and find a way to leverage his skillset.

I can't see everyone on the Memphis staff moving to Blacksburg, so it will be interesting to see what Fuente does to piece together his coaching staff.

Foster and two others have already been announced. That leaves 6 positions that still need to be filled with the best available coaching/recruiting talent.

Think keeping Burden would be a big plus, Loeffler seems like he could have done more without Shane as RB's coach. Definitely keep Torrian Gray to keep DBU cookin'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT