ADVERTISEMENT

Seth/Steph

Well, that's just retarded.
Retarded? The part about Beamer or the part about Seth being a douch bag... Or both? I know, you can't compare football and basketball scholarship offers dur to the numbers. However, there are lots of facts to back up the other part, and it has nothing to do with scholarship offers or coaching. In my opinion Buzz will do fine over the long haul because he gets the big picture and fits in with the Hokie athletic family.

Retarded? The part about Beamer or the part about Seth being a douch bag... Or both? I know, you can't compare football and basketball scholarship offers dur to the numbers. However, there are lots of facts to back up the other part, and it has nothing to do with scholarship offers or coaching. In my opinion Buzz will do fine over the long haul because he gets the big picture and fits in with the Hokie athletic family.
Go back and look who he offered instead of Steph. Also guys with no other signicant offers, and who never contributed.

And Seth handled it so tactfully that he was asked to leave the Curry house and not return.
Key words: "go back." If I could "go back" I'd lay some sweet money on Steph to become the best player in the NBA. Maybe every ACC coach was just anti-Curry and didn't want people telling them what to do.

The Currys threw a hissy fit when their kid got a delayed offer (g/s) from VT. Given the fact that NOBODY else offered him diddly poo, they should have been delighted. However, since the Mrs. (especially) thought of their family as royalty, the offer wasn't good enough. In fact, it was offensive. I've heard her talk about the whole episode more than once, and I am certain I've got this part right. From what I've been told, they are getting over the childish blaming of VT and now merely hold a grudge against Seth. Admirable.

Key words: "go back." If I could "go back" I'd lay some sweet money on Steph to become the best player in the NBA. Maybe every ACC coach was just anti-Curry and didn't want people telling them what to do.

The Currys threw a hissy fit when their kid got a delayed offer (g/s) from VT. Given the fact that NOBODY else offered him diddly poo, they should have been delighted. However, since the Mrs. (especially) thought of their family as royalty, the offer wasn't good enough. In fact, it was offensive. I've heard her talk about the whole episode more than once, and I am certain I've got this part right. From what I've been told, they are getting over the childish blaming of VT and now merely hold a grudge against Seth. Admirable.
That is sweet of her to only blame Seth.....it's all about the princess and what she wants.

I still find it hard to believe Seth doesn't get any credit here. We were a gutter program when he took over and he instantly made us respectable in one of the best conferences in the country. We have never been a basketball school ( a real one anyway) yet we were in the upper echelon most years there. I know a lot on here blame him for his tourney appearances but we all know that is formula that is not exactly fair. We were a " bubble team" just about every year including the year we made it and that is a level we never accomplished before in lesser conferences. I have faith in Buzz but he is finding it difficult to compete in this conference early on as well and so far is trailing Seth at this point at VT. Douchebag or not SG did a helluva job here.

I still find it hard to believe Seth doesn't get any credit here. We were a gutter program when he took over and he instantly made us respectable in one of the best conferences in the country. We have never been a basketball school ( a real one anyway) yet we were in the upper echelon most years there. I know a lot on here blame him for his tourney appearances but we all know that is formula that is not exactly fair. We were a " bubble team" just about every year including the year we made it and that is a level we never accomplished before in lesser conferences. I have faith in Buzz but he is finding it difficult to compete in this conference early on as well and so far is trailing Seth at this point at VT. Douchebag or not SG did a helluva job here.
He did manage to alienate a lot of VT insiders.
That colors perception a good bit.

Yeah so i heard. Still don't know what all his antics were because insiders refrained from telling here. I heard the last straw was that he was a no-show at a department meeting because he was on the recruiting trail but again that is hearsay.

Yeah so i heard. Still don't know what all his antics were because insiders refrained from telling here. I heard the last straw was that he was a no-show at a department meeting because he was on the recruiting trail but again that is hearsay.
He was recruiting , but it was on campus not a trail.

I really think Seth is in the right job now, he does a really good job on analyzing college basketball. Doesn't mean he was a good coach, but he was at a tough college job. I'm still not sold that Buzz can make VT a team that competes for ACC titles.....but time can certainly prove me wrong. VT basketball = UVA football. Which program improves faster? Now Buzz has a head start but UVA football was left with more talent than VT basketball was left with.

I can't believe you like his analysis. He sounds like a dumb kid who grew up being told constantly how smart he is and doesn't know how to use, their/there, too/to, and your/you're appropriately..He was an average coach and got that espn job because he's politically connected.

Reactions: B1dee
Agree. CSG is in the right place. Good talker, opinionated, smart. I 'm betting he hits the optimal WPM to appear very knowledgable.

Way too early to write Buzz's epitaph (not that you are). At the same time, I'm not sure he's the right guy. Maybe. Maybe not. I vacillate on the Buzz Q. In any event, he's digging out of a big hole, so he'll need time.

Here's where I'll say your skepticism is dead wrong (wadr):
VT can be built into a team that competes for ACC titles.
Zero doubt here.

You must be joking. o_O He can read what his opinion is when they write it down for him, but when's he's freestyling and they throw blind questions at him, he doesn't just look like Uncle Fester, he sounds like him too.

Reactions: B1dee
Please go back and research his record. He had a few good wins but mostly beat up on cream puffs. Was at the game in Norfolk where he got beat by ODU and showed his ass at the end. He was a total embarassment to any Hokie alumni in attendence. Then he says he doesn't want to play ODU anymore because that's not how he wants to build his brand. He may be a good analyst but I'm not qualified to comment on that because I can't watch or listen. That voice to me is like finger nails on the chalkboard.

I heard from a good source that he had alienated almost everyone in the athletic department including the administrative staff. He was abrupt, arrogant and poisoning the family atmosphere. Funny thing, if he was, in fact a helluva coach, why is he not coaching?

A lot of coaches take a break after a separation. I think he had a lot of quality wins mostly in the ACC. I think we beat more #1 ranked teams than anytime before in history. I remember sweeping UNC when they were good. I remember coming within a half court Dockery prayer of sweeping Duke. I remember coming within a Dowdell last minute shot of winning the ACC regular season title which is an accomplishment by itself. We knocked off Wake when they were number #1. We lost to lesser talented teams for sure but we are doing that now. We were supposed to be the gutter of the conference and we weren't except for his last year or so which i think was plagued by injuries. He was a better recruiter than he was a coach. I would agree with that, but he still made us a respectable program and for that I think he should get some credit. I have no doubt on the alienation part, but a lot of coaches out there are Assholes.

You must be joking. o_O He can read what his opinion is when they write it down for him, but when's he's freestyling and they throw blind questions at him, he doesn't just look like Uncle Fester, he sounds like him too.
Wow. I totally disagree.
In fact, when he's freewheeling it. he is the most interesting.
He is unarguably knowledgable.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I agree. I think he is one of the better analysts they have. He probably doesn't want to coach anymore.

Wow. I totally disagree.
In fact, when he's freewheeling it. he is the most interesting.
He is unarguably knowledgable.
I'm being a bit facetious I guess because I'm not a big fan and never was. Still not sure how VT fans can take him seriously as an analyst on the biggest stage though.

Reactions: Salemite
i get that. I sure don't wanna take vacations with the guy.
I don't think Seth was a bad coach, we were always competitive with him but unpredictable. We could win or lose to anybody. I know it must have worn on him knowing he was getting paid less than most ACC coaches, or, at least, I think he was,knowing Weaver. Thing is, I always got the sense that his players didn't much care for him and during a long season, that can affect the team. Also, some of the players didn't get any better with experience. I'm thinking about the "chunky" forward that played in his freshman year and looked great and then lost a bunch of weight and wasn't as formidable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT