ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Game Reflections

True, but off-season experience - especially spring ball - counts as much as anything in a QB's development...if your QB's coach is worth anything, that is. Dobbs has started games in each his first three seasons, plus this is his 4th fall taking snaps. He's pretty experienced, whether he was listed as a starter in any prior game or not. He's definitely more experienced than every single QB on VT's roster combined. I've not been complimentary of his production in posts above, but I'm not discounting his experience in any way. That factor alone will be a HUGE advantage for UTenn in this game, and might end up being the difference.

VT's likely new QB was a big deal in the JUCO ranks (#1 rated dual threat), but he has never taken the field in front of tens of thousands of fans (much less whatever crowd Bristol will bring...6 digits?), never taken the field against a Power 5 team, and certainly has never played anyone of UTenn's caliber, so we'll be starting fresh. Your guess is as good as mine as to what we'll see on our side of the ball. Playcalling? We've never seen it. QB? We've never seen it. Running game? We've never seen it. I guess we'll find out when everyone else does what it's all going to look like.

If Dobbs is a factor it will be his running ability that hurts VT not so much his passing. Butch knows Buds tendency to be aggressive and he beat VT once before at Cincy with a mobile QB. I expect the deciding factor to be stopping UTs power running game and containing Dobbs to minimal gains on scrambles.From what I hear from UTs own fans, Dobbs deep accuracy in inconsistent. I dont expect Butch to challenge the VT DBs when he knows their reputation and when he probably doesn't need to.

Dobbs is a bigger threat running the ball than Vick was
LMAO.

Is this what the summer holds? Look. TN should be favored by 20+ points, but saying Dobbs > Vick was is just stupidity soaked in idiocy deep fried in lunacy.

Thanks for the chuckles.

Nice to see a bunch of UTenn fans dig up a 2 month old thread and post 10 add-ons to it.

I was talking about the dud Dobbs at QB. If you guys have replaced him, then I take back what I said about the dumpster fire, and this might actually be a good game.

If you haven't replaced him, then quit polluting the board trying to pull the wool over knowledgable fans' eyes about how good he is. I've seen UTenn play several times over the last few years, and Dobbs, Ferguson, Peterson, Bray and Worley all combined couldn't add up to be a bucket of suck. None of these scrubs would've ever seen the field at VT, and we're not exactly QB U these days.

So...just for fun, I looked it up...last year Dobbs finished as the 8th best passer in the worst passing league in the country (in his THIRD year as a starter)...and yet some of you clueless clowns think he's going to be a high draft pick? LOL, holy geez, I think I've heard it all now. Lay off the crackpipe, people.
Never heard of Dobbs so I checked out some video. He needs some coaching and he might not be so bad. I can't believe these people think he's so great. lol
I'm just hoping UT doesn't get an loa before kickoff. I'm hearing some bad stuff about Jones' recruiting practices and that they've got his nuts in a ringer.

Reactions: salemfan32
Never heard of Dobbs so I checked out some video. He needs some coaching and he might not be so bad. I can't believe these people think he's so great. lol
I'm just hoping UT doesn't get an loa before kickoff. I'm hearing some bad stuff about Jones' recruiting practices and that they've got his nuts in a ringer.
What???? An SEC team cheating!!! No way......

I have always wondered why TN doesn't have good fans like some schools ? Is it something in the water up on Rocky Top or they just don't know enough about football to be good fans.

Dobbs was pathetically invisible in both games (13 of 31 for 125 yds against OU - yikes that's bad, like QBR of 20.5 bad - and 13 of 22 for 171 yds against Bama - QBR of 49.9). If you guys had a 3 year starting QB that could fall out of his own way, you would've won both games, because the defense absolutely rocked in both of them.

Oh, and as for that 300 yard rushing prediction I saw above, that poster should do himself a favor and not bet a paycheck on it. Against Power 5 competition last year:

Oklahoma - 161 yds
Florida - 254 yds
Arkansas - 133 yds
Georgia - 207 yds
Alabama - 132 yds
Kentucky - 249 yds
USC-E - 153 yds
Missouri - 248 yds
Vandy - 331 yds
Northwestern - 226 yds

Unfortunately for you guys, VT's defense is a tad bit better than Vandy's defense, so you can forget about getting 300. You'll be doing damn good to hit 150, and there won't be but a couple of our opponents next year that will match it.
Our Oline was mediocre last year. Can't wait until Sept. 3rd.

Dobbs is a bigger threat running the ball than Vick was (more power and stamina), plus he has two NFL running backs to hand the ball to.

This may be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. My Hokies should lose this game. If they keep it respectable I'll be happy. Comparing Dobbs to Vick? Hysterical.

I'd love to see Virginia Tech send the Vols back to Knoxville with a loss and ruin the orange clad fans dreams of a playoff appearance right off the season opener. Could get ugly in Knoxville if that happens.

Dobbs was pathetically invisible in both games (13 of 31 for 125 yds against OU - yikes that's bad, like QBR of 20.5 bad - and 13 of 22 for 171 yds against Bama - QBR of 49.9). If you guys had a 3 year starting QB that could fall out of his own way, you would've won both games, because the defense absolutely rocked in both of them.

Oh, and as for that 300 yard rushing prediction I saw above, that poster should do himself a favor and not bet a paycheck on it. Against Power 5 competition last year:

Oklahoma - 161 yds
Florida - 254 yds
Arkansas - 133 yds
Georgia - 207 yds
Alabama - 132 yds
Kentucky - 249 yds
USC-E - 153 yds
Missouri - 248 yds
Vandy - 331 yds
Northwestern - 226 yds

Unfortunately for you guys, VT's defense is a tad bit better than Vandy's defense, so you can forget about getting 300. You'll be doing damn good to hit 150, and there won't be but a couple of our opponents next year that will match it.

Have to agree here on the rushing. If your passing game is suspect and you have to resort to running the ball, Foster is very good about defending 1-dimensional teams. In fact he is good at turning marginal 2-dimensional teams into a 1-dimensional team and then focusing on the 1-dimension that seems to work. If he is able to do this then I think your QB will be rattled to the point that you will not have a high-scoring offense at all. This gives our traditionally pathetic offence a chance.

But it is football so that is why the game is played on the field.

Have to agree here on the rushing. If your passing game is suspect and you have to resort to running the ball, Foster is very good about defending 1-dimensional teams. In fact he is good at turning marginal 2-dimensional teams into a 1-dimensional team and then focusing on the 1-dimension that seems to work. If he is able to do this then I think your QB will be rattled to the point that you will not have a high-scoring offense at all. This gives our traditionally pathetic offence a chance.

But it is football so that is why the game is played on the field.
Northwestern Pre-game Deja Vu

No offense intended to the fine folk at Northwestern, but they don't have a history going back the last 25 years of consistently fielding top 10 defenses like VT does with Bud Foster.

Comparing the two is sort of like us saying that VT will blow UTenn out because we blew out Furman last year. On the surface, that statement might make perfect sense to someone who doesn't know much about football. For the rest of us, however, we realize that there's a little bit different level of challenge playing UTenn than there was in playing Furman.

No offense intended to the fine folk at Northwestern, but they don't have a history going back the last 25 years of consistently fielding top 10 defenses like VT does with Bud Foster.

Comparing the two is sort of like us saying that VT will blow UTenn out because we blew out Furman last year. On the surface, that statement might make perfect sense to someone who doesn't know much about football. For the rest of us, however, we realize that there's a little bit different level of challenge playing UTenn than there was in playing Furman.
So you are comparing #13 (Then) Northwestern vs Furman? Interesting.

To all of the Vol fans who will dig this thread up from the dead 3 months from now, condolences for Coach Summit. I always liked her.

To all of the Vol fans who will dig this thread up from the dead 3 months from now, condolences for Coach Summit. I always liked her.
Thanks, We all feel the same way. I was shocked at all of the coverage in EVERY Major news organization.

Comparing to Northwestern still is not a good analogy to me. You look at where they were defensively when you played them vs. where they ended up. Obviously, you have to consider the competition played as well. A lot of teams may start up higher defensively then degrade as the year goes on. VT typically improves its defensive rating as the year goes on. They will be amped up for this game. I worry about our secondary playing too loose and giving up too many big plays but we will see.

True, and I think your new coach will definitely bring it. However, we have high hopes for a 15-0 season.

What makes you think you will beat Florida, a team you haven't beaten since 2004? How long has THAT been? Then there is Alabama, Georgia...and Virginia Tech. On paper, you should win easily, but games aren't played on paper...

Tennessee DID have the SEC East's best offense, but what does that prove? Georgia's "offense" was second best at 83d, followed by Kentucky (89th), South Carolina (99th), Vandy (103d), Florida (110th), and Mizzou (120th). It is the tallest midget...

What makes you think you will beat Florida, a team you haven't beaten since 2004? How long has THAT been? Then there is Alabama, Georgia...and Virginia Tech. On paper, you should win easily, but games aren't played on paper...

Tennessee DID have the SEC East's best offense, but what does that prove? Georgia's "offense" was second best at 83d, followed by Kentucky (89th), South Carolina (99th), Vandy (103d), Florida (110th), and Mizzou (120th). It is the tallest midget...
Well I'll play along......Mr. Obvious says UT will win because Florida is starting a QB that is with his 3rd team.

If party isn't in Blacksburg or Tuscaloosa, I don't want to go.
I se Nicky is blocking a grad transfer from going to UGA.....heard he had all his stuff dumped into the trash when he heard he wanted to leave. Such a classy prick he is....

Last edited:
Reactions: parkdogg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT