ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Spurrier Retires

Rumor is he was told he was out at the end of the year and said, "Screw this, I'm GONE".....................

Quitting on your team shows he is nothing better than.....oh......a prick.

Getting out now is best for his staff and team. He knows its over and he knows if one of his assistants moves up and starts winning or showing improvement, then that assistant will become head coach and his current staff can stay. Ala Dabo Sweeny at Clemson.

He hinted in an interview that he may coach again , but not as head Coach. He even mentioned NFL and High School.

This is a double standard...any other coach would be getting killed for quitting on his team. The kids are taught to see it through to the end yet this prick quits on his players and most of the press praise him for leaving his kids hanging......still a prick, right below Nicky Satan on the Prick scale.

He quit on his players and he's a prick.....let me know if I need to clarify. I bet if they were winning he would still be coaching....prick.
Two things:
1- You would love to have him at UVA, and
2- I wish Beamer were a "prick" like that

The Head Ball Coach is not a prick. He's one of the "good guys" in the coaching ranks. Let's not get him confused with Paul Johnson.

This is a double standard...any other coach would be getting killed for quitting on his team
The OBC has been on record ever since he took that job that if he ever felt like the program had fallen on its face and he was out of ideas, then he would step aside and let someone else with better ideas fix the problems.

When you've been upfront about it like he has, I don't see any problem at all. The real coaching pricks are the ones who promise the world they'll hang around and then bolt when everyone turns their backs. They sign new contracts with big pay raises and then use that as leverage to get another job somewhere else. The OBC didn't do any of that.

Coach was pretty clear that last year was not acceptable to him, and he thought it would be best to retire LAST season. The people around him convinced him to come back and see if things improve, but after 6 weeks, it's pretty obvious it wasn't going to get any better. Kudos to him for being a man of his word, unlike a lot of other coaches out there.

Spurrier is one of the great coaches. He revolutionized the SEC with the Fun n Gun. His record against Saban is 3 wins and 1 loss. No who the heck does not respect that!

Spurrier is one of the great coaches. He revolutionized the SEC with the Fun n Gun. His record against Saban is 3 wins and 1 loss. No who the heck does not respect that!
He quit on his team, how can anyone respect that fact.

A fire breathing competitor does not suffer fools well. You don't know what really went down, so go easy with quick judgements. I respect a coach who knows when his time is up and bows out alot more than I do a coach who is over the hill and is pulling the program down with him. When your time is up, it is time to go.

...and Beamer has to much class to be like that prick....
If Beamer gave two sh!ts at all about the VT fans or the VT program, Stiney would not have a lifetime contract. He's been putting his own selfish motives and personal friendships above the greater good of the program for about 15 years now.

That's not how I would define "class," but maybe that's just me.

He quit on his team, how can anyone respect that fact.
What team? You talking about the players? Believe it or not, there are still places in the world where the players are NOT bigger than the program itself, and Spurrier did what he thought was best for the program. If the players don't like that fact, then maybe their whiney little entitled asses should go find somewhere else to play. Just as long as they don't come here.

I didn't say any of you have to agree with my opinion of the prick, but he is a prick for quitting on his players. Leaving in the middle of the season because you are losing tells me all I need to know about the kind of person he is.....my assessment is he's a prick. And to say Beamer is not a class act is a joke, he's done more for VT than anyone. Should he retire, yes, but don't tell me the man is not class. He has run a clean program and been very successful at a school that was a joke in football when he took over. I can't believe I'm having to take up for Beamer......maybe you will get lucky and a have a London type coach for your next one.

Beamer has done more for VT than anyone...but he's also been holding VT back more than anyone...and for a long time now. I lost count of how many championship caliber defenses Beamer has squandered over the past 15 years because he refuses to do the right thing concerning his friends. He also blatantly lied to the fans about this whole OC deal that ended up being nothing but a smoke screen conceived to deceive the fans and to protect his friends. I never have had much use for people like that. You might think that kind of stuff is classy, but it's certainly not the way I try to live my life.

Coach Beamer is just too _____________conservative on Offense. If he had installed a Baylor/TCU/Texas A&M type offense a few years back, we'd be ranked in Top 5 today. Running ball up middle and punting may have worked at one time in college football but not now.

Beamer has done more for VT than anyone...but he's also been holding VT back more than anyone...and for a long time now. I lost count of how many championship caliber defenses Beamer has squandered over the past 15 years because he refuses to do the right thing concerning his friends. He also blatantly lied to the fans about this whole OC deal that ended up being nothing but a smoke screen conceived to deceive the fans and to protect his friends. I never have had much use for people like that. You might think that kind of stuff is classy, but it's certainly not the way I try to live my life.

Why are you blaming Stiney for this? He hasn't been the OC in years. Is this nothing more than a reflex to blame him for everything, like Lucastucious?

The problem with VT rests with Frank Beamer, not his coordinators. He is the head coach and must assume responsibility.

Hey Hoos, you just better worry about your sorry ass team and not worry what a HOF coach does. Go eff yourself!!

Careful, the Boo Hoos won a game Saturday, even though it was only Syracuse. All I can say is the Orangemen must be worst team in the country.

Don't kid yourself. He's not sitting up in the pressbox every week to keep Loeffler's coffee cup topped off.

Nonsense. Stiney is in your heads. Scott Loeffler is by no means a quality OC. VT needs a good house cleaning.

I think a new head coach with a mandate will clean house upon arrival. I don't think that many would have a hard time guessing where the cleanup occurs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT