ADVERTISEMENT

The best thing for your program would be to ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beaverdam Tiger

Hokie Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
fire/retire Beamer and hire Brent Venables. Great recruiter, excellent coach, super ambassador for your university. He would lock down the talent in the Tidewater area for VT. Now that I've posted that I'm certain that your AD would never do it but just a suggestion.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Or hire Bud Foster. This program needs a serious energy infusion from somewhere.

I'm with you, but these are just pipe dreams at this point. I'm expecting Frank to sign another extension any day now.

This AD hasn't been here very long, so I don't think he has a lot of pull within the university and within the community yet. He's off to good start with hiring Buzz Williams, so I doubt he'll want to change his legacy to be the guy who ran Frank Beamer out of town. He'll let this ride and let it play out on its own.

This AD hasn't been here very long, so I don't think he has a lot of pull within the university and within the community yet. He's off to good start with hiring Buzz Williams, so I doubt he'll want to change his legacy to be the guy who ran Frank Beamer out of town. He'll let this ride and let it play out on its own.
Kind of like what FSU did with Bobby Bowden?

False. We have a guy who has the title of recruiting coordinator who is responsible for overall recruiting. Remember the "legend" that was supposed to lockup the Tidewater after we removed him from calling the offense, but allowed him to remain in the booth and on staff and gave him a pay raise to be a coordinator?<--------that statement actually happened. It's a fact. Not an opinion.

Fact 2. Defense finished 10th in America last year
Fact 3. Defense finished 17th in America the year before.

These "facts" simply prove your emotional based statement is just that.....emotion.
Foster is fine, and the overall state of the defense at VT is fine. This year....this one snap shot in time for this given year, 2015, the D is ugly. Just like in 2003...ugly. We are long overdue. It's been over a decade. Worry about what at VT? Offense. Always......do that as long as Coach Beamer is the HC and Stiney, the former OC, is setting beside the new OC in the pressbox when offensive plays are called in.

Careful what you wish for. Babcock and Tommy Tuberville are old friends. Babcock hired TT at Cincy. Dont be shocked If he ends up in Blacksburg. I wouldnt be shocked to see Shane take over either. Venables is not going to happen, especially If Bud stays on.

Careful what you wish for. Babcock and Tommy Tuberville are old friends. Babcock hired TT at Cincy. Dont be shocked If he ends up in Blacksburg. I wouldnt be shocked to see Shane take over either. Venables is not going to happen, especially If Bud stays on.

I would think that if you hired Venables then he could hire his own staff. I respect what Bud Foster has done but if you told me that I could have Brent as my head coach or Bud as my DC then I would pick Venables because 1. He is an excellent defensive coach 2. AND HE IS A DYNAMIC RECRUITER.

Or hire Bud Foster. This program needs a serious energy infusion from somewhere.
Serious question.....why has Bud never been a head coach? I know he has interviewed but never been hired, what is the issue?

Shane has zero chance of taking over. Doubtful it will be Bud either. Doubtful Beamer coaches next year.

Serious question.....why has Bud never been a head coach? I know he has interviewed but never been hired, what is the issue?
Bc he is a joke when it comes to recruiting that is why. Some people are just better at being a coordinator see Muschamp for example

Shane has zero chance of taking over. Doubtful it will be Bud either. Doubtful Beamer coaches next year.

Hey Smitty, you really think Beamer misses the Tennessee game after all this time? If so who takes over in his place?

The problem must be addressed now. It starts with Beamer. Anything less than that will not solve the problem. Shane is not capable and I doubt that Bud is .
If this problem is allowed to go on another year we will be so far down as a program that it will take that much longer to fix it.

Hey Smitty, you really think Beamer misses the Tennessee game after all this time? If so who takes over in his place?

I listened to his interview this morning on VT sports today. Damn! I don't see him making it to next season. No idea who would replace him. Believe VT will spend a good amount for the next coach, but at this point I have not a clue.

Man, this one ranks up there on the stupid scale with your prediction last year that UK would beat Alabama. Still, it did give me a chuckle in these troubled times for Virginia Tech football. Keep up the good work.

Man, this one ranks up there on the stupid scale with your prediction last year that UK would beat Alabama. Still, it did give me a chuckle in these troubled times for Virginia Tech football. Keep up the good work.

UK didnt play Bama last year.
I didnt PREDICT Tuberville or Shane, I just said I wouldnt be shocked If either were chosen to replace Frank.
When you get done chuckling maybe you could offer up an opinion on who you think might replace Frank?

Last edited:
Hold on to your hats... Shane will take over the program people... its happening.. And the VT that we loved 95-2011 shall R.I.P...... Shane will ruin the program like he has the RB position since taking it over from Billy Hite.. Our recruiting is making a difference. I know a lot of people are saying its not but you can tell that we are nowhere near as talented as we use to be when 8 of the top 10 players in VA signed with VT not FSU, or Bama.

I said last year that you guys needed to make a run at Lincoln Riley. He is young, enthusiastic, and has a very good offensive mind.

I don't understand the Shane Beamer speculation. What has he done that makes him qualified to be a head coach in any Division 1 program (much less a P5 program)? Nothing I've seen yet from Whit Babcock makes me believe he would even give the first thought to such a risky decision. If it goes south it would be a career killer for Whit. Shane Beamer hasn't paid the price to become a head coach at a program like VT. That might have been the original idea when Shane was brought in and it was thought that Jim Weaver would be making the next hire, but that should have all went out the window when Whit took over for Weaver. I expect nothing less than a great hire by Whit. I don't have a clue who it will be but I can easily see Whit having an interest in bringing in Tuberville, and I can see it happening next year too if this season doesn't start getting a lot better, quickly. Whit's not paying Beamer to go 6-6 and lose to ECU every year.

I think that with the state of our program and the recruiting disaster we have now it will take a really dramatic hire to turn things around quickly. Remember FSU - with the advantage of where they are and their past history - it still took them nearly a decade to recover from the Bowden decline. It will take a really strong hire and I think Babcock knows that. I would not be surprised to see a major hire from him. Not sure anyone saw Buzz coming here. If we can do that for basketball then certainly we have better genes in football and could attract a really good coach with the right amount of money. We still have sufficient funds to support a high-level coach.

False. We have a guy who has the title of recruiting coordinator who is responsible for overall recruiting. Remember the "legend" that was supposed to lockup the Tidewater after we removed him from calling the offense, but allowed him to remain in the booth and on staff and gave him a pay raise to be a coordinator?<--------that statement actually happened. It's a fact. Not an opinion.

Fact 2. Defense finished 10th in America last year
Fact 3. Defense finished 17th in America the year before.

These "facts" simply prove your emotional based statement is just that.....emotion.
Foster is fine, and the overall state of the defense at VT is fine. This year....this one snap shot in time for this given year, 2015, the D is ugly. Just like in 2003...ugly. We are long overdue. It's been over a decade. Worry about what at VT? Offense. Always......do that as long as Coach Beamer is the HC and Stiney, the former OC, is setting beside the new OC in the pressbox when offensive plays are called in.

The fact that you actually think that Stiney being up in the pressbox with Loeffler actually means something other than an extra set of eyes(you do know that Gray is up in a pressbox as an extra set of eyes for Foster? Would you think he influences Foster's calls?) and that all of this is Stiney's fault shows your absolute ignorance to anything related to VT football. Foster doesn't recruit worth a shit and his develop of LB's, the position he coaches has been putrid. And don't even say I'm a Stiney supporter because I'm not, all I've ever said in his defense is that he was never given a fair shot at OC because he was never given full control. Hell Loeffler doesn't even have full control when Shane is the one controlling our dumb as shit RB rotation. As far as his recruiting goes, again you don't understand the dynamics of the 757.

You have a very bizarre agenda against Bryan Stinespring. Let's play for a moment that you're right and Stiney is to blame for everything wrong currently at VT. You can say I told you so. Then what? You actually think constantly bringing it up on a free VT board that barely anyone reads to begin with is going to do anything?

But all of the above is a moot point. Again the buck starts with and stops with Frank Beamer. He alone is the one that needed to make changes but didn't until it was too late. He kept Stiney as OC, a QB coach that let our QB depth get so bad that we had to move a TE recruit to QB in O'cain who also refused to recruit, an OL coach in Newsome that F'ed up our line so bad that we're still trying to rebuild it and couldn't recruit worth a damn, and an RB coach in Hite who flat out refused to recruit. Not to mention that Frank Beamer himself doesn't recruit worth a shit. These are the "facts".

Last edited:
The fact that you actually think that Stiney being up in the pressbox with Loeffler actually means something other than an extra set of eyes...and that all of this is Stiney's fault shows your absolute ignorance to anything related to VT football.
Oh, wow...so you honestly expect anyone in the entire world to believe that Stiney sits in the pressbox, but has NO input whatsoever into the game plans or the plays being called?

Geez, talk about your absolute ignorance. Hey, while we're on the subject, I got a bridge I'd like to sell you. I usually cut special customers like you a deal!

Hahaha...I think I've heard it all now.

The fact that you actually think that Stiney being up in the pressbox with Loeffler actually means something other than an extra set of eyes(you do know that Gray is up in a pressbox as an extra set of eyes for Foster? Would you think he influences Foster's calls?) and that all of this is Stiney's fault shows your absolute ignorance to anything related to VT football. Foster doesn't recruit worth a shit and his develop of LB's, the position he coaches has been putrid. And don't even say I'm a Stiney supporter because I'm not, all I've ever said in his defense is that he was never given a fair shot at OC because he was never given full control. Hell Loeffler doesn't even have full control when Shane is the one controlling our dumb as shit RB rotation. As far as his recruiting goes, again you don't understand the dynamics of the 757.
You have a very bizarre agenda against Bryan Stinespring. Let's play for a moment that you're right and Stiney is to blame for everything wrong currently at VT. You can say I told you so. Then what? You actually think constantly bringing it up on a free VT board that barely anyone reads to begin with is going to do anything?
But all of the above is a moot point. Again the buck starts with and stops with Frank Beamer. He alone is the one that needed to make changes but didn't until it was too late. He kept Stiney as OC, a QB coach that let our QB depth get so bad that we had to move a TE recruit to QB in O'cain who also refused to recruit, an OL coach in Newsome that F'ed up our line so bad that we're still trying to rebuild it and couldn't recruit worth a damn, and an RB coach in Hite who flat out refused to recruit. Not to mention that Frank Beamer himself doesn't recruit worth a shit. These are the "facts".

Fallacy 1 of your claim. You wrote that Stiney was never given a fair shot at OC because he was never given full control. This is simply not a fallacy. It's a lie. He had over 1 decade.

Fallacy 2 of your claim. Shane Beamer is the problem. You do understand the offense has been putrid since 2001 and long before Shane Beamer got to Tech. You conveniently leave that out.

Fallacy 3 of your claim. You state I have a "bizare agenda against Stiney." This is a red herring fallacy. It's an attempt to divert attention off the subject and onto myself. Fact is...I have no agenda. I simply think he is and has been a huge problem with VT. As for your writing about what people read on a free board or this or that.....well, that was kind of mumbled garbage so I tuned out.

Fallacy 4 of your claim. You fail to understand one major problem. The reason we could not recruit was because of Stinespring as the OC. He is not liked personally by many Va Coaches. He is a abrasive and sarcastic. He also ran a miserable offensive system and failed and coaches did not want their offensive stars coming to Blacksburg.
This began the downfall of VT. You can bring in any positions coach and they are NOT going to be able to recruit offensive players while what is perceived as the offensive problem or original cause of it is still on staff. Matter of fact, he is now IN CHARGE of recruiting and has failed miserably. You can blame Shane Beamer, Foster, or any positions coach you want. Virginia Tech now has a problem with wins and losses that also effects recruiting.

You are correct on it being Beamer's fault. I agree with you there. He should have removed Stiney in 2007 like I posted on this board. Leaving him destroyed the program and I predicted that. Why? I know many High School Coaches in Virginia and the Tidewater. They would literally laugh at VT's offensive system and added to that, many told me Stiney was arrogant and conceded and very abrasive. Many stopped sending their kids on offensive to VT and this led to an even greater offensive mess on the field that led us to 5 loss seasons. When you get 5 loss seasons, recruiting is over. It's done. You can have the best of the best and you are not going to do well. Meaning.......fixing the problem is to late. The only solution are major changes. Frank Beamer could have lasted longer if he would have removed Stinespring from Blacksburg in 2007 and hired a new OC. The program would be in far, far better shape. Now, we are repeating the exact same thing we did back then. We blame Newsome, Rodgers, we blamed O'cain, we now blame little Beamer and Bud, but never focus on the common denominator and that is Frank Beamer and his protege....Stinespring. Both are still in place.

Fallacy 1 of your claim. You wrote that Stiney was never given a fair shot at OC because he was never given full control. This is simply not a fallacy. It's a lie. He had over 1 decade.

Fallacy 2 of your claim. Shane Beamer is the problem. You do understand the offense has been putrid since 2001 and long before Shane Beamer got to Tech. You conveniently leave that out.

Fallacy 3 of your claim. You state I have a "bizare agenda against Stiney." This is a red herring fallacy. It's an attempt to divert attention off the subject and onto myself. Fact is...I have no agenda. I simply think he is and has been a huge problem with VT. As for your writing about what people read on a free board or this or that.....well, that was kind of mumbled garbage so I tuned out.

Fallacy 4 of your claim. You fail to understand one major problem. The reason we could not recruit was because of Stinespring as the OC. He is not liked personally by many Va Coaches. He is a abrasive and sarcastic. He also ran a miserable offensive system and failed and coaches did not want their offensive stars coming to Blacksburg.
This began the downfall of VT. You can bring in any positions coach and they are NOT going to be able to recruit offensive players while what is perceived as the offensive problem or original cause of it is still on staff. Matter of fact, he is now IN CHARGE of recruiting and has failed miserably. You can blame Shane Beamer, Foster, or any positions coach you want. Virginia Tech now has a problem with wins and losses that also effects recruiting.

You are correct on it being Beamer's fault. I agree with you there. He should have removed Stiney in 2007 like I posted on this board. Leaving him destroyed the program and I predicted that. Why? I know many High School Coaches in Virginia and the Tidewater. They would literally laugh at VT's offensive system and added to that, many told me Stiney was arrogant and conceded and very abrasive. Many stopped sending their kids on offensive to VT and this led to an even greater offensive mess on the field that led us to 5 loss seasons. When you get 5 loss seasons, recruiting is over. It's done. You can have the best of the best and you are not going to do well. Meaning.......fixing the problem is to late. The only solution are major changes. Frank Beamer could have lasted longer if he would have removed Stinespring from Blacksburg in 2007 and hired a new OC. The program would be in far, far better shape. Now, we are repeating the exact same thing we did back then. We blame Newsome, Rodgers, we blamed O'cain, we now blame little Beamer and Bud, but never focus on the common denominator and that is Frank Beamer and his protege....Stinespring. Both are still in place.

Nothing I said was false at all. I actually pay for premium info on a couple of sites and trust the info I'm given from actual insiders unlike you. You and others want to dismiss it, that's fine and dandy.

And yes you do have an agenda against Bryan Stinespring because you alternate between posting where VT's O and D rank with making posts about how much Stiney has destroyed VT football. Its quite clear that you post just so you can go on more rants and argue when someone doesn't agree with you. You never answered my question though, what do you hope to accomplish by ranting on Stiney constantly on a free board?

The only thing we can agree on is the main culprit, Frank Beamer, needs to move on period.

Just wanted to pass along two points being discussed around Clemson that y'all might find interesting. 1. Brent Venables may be on the short list at UVA. 2. The coots in Columbia would love to have Frank, Jr. back.

Reactions: piz hokies
Torrian Gray will be a HC at VT one day.... and wasn't Shane the head recruiter at South Carolina and was the one who got some of the top recruits to go there? I am guessing he knows what he is doing.

Foster is good at running a D. He is not HC material. Look at other guys in the football industry who were great OC and DC but failed as a HC. There is a long list...

Beamer stays on until after the Bristol game season with Tenn.

Little Beamer will have to be a HC at a D2 or D1AA school before ever taking over the job at VT.

We want more 757 kids.... why not pick up London after this season when he is fired and he will bring all the top 757 kids back to VT.

Last edited:
Just wanted to pass along two points being discussed around Clemson that y'all might find interesting. 1. Brent Venables may be on the short list at UVA. 2. The coots in Columbia would love to have Frank, Jr. back.
I would love to have Venables in Hoo town......

I would love to have Venables in Hoo town......
With all of the talent in Hooville.... it might be a match. Under current coaching they have struggled with all of the top 5-stars they have gotten over the past few years.

Torrian Gray will be a HC at VT one day.... and wasn't Shane the head recruiter at South Carolina and was the one who got some of the top recruits to go there? I am guessing he knows what he is doing.

Foster is good at running a D. He is not HC material. Look at other guys in the football industry who were great OC and DC but failed as a HC. There is a long list...

Beamer stays on until after the Bristol game season with Tenn.

Little Beamer will have to be a HC at a D2 or D1AA school before ever taking over the job at VT.

We want more 757 kids.... why not pick up London after this season when he is fired and he will bring all the top 757 kids back to VT.

Aside from blanding and Brown, what studs has London recruited from the 757? London has no significant connections and is doing a poor job recruiting.

Reactions: mrjolly01
We had the exact same situation here in Tallahassee. A faltering legend and a great D coordinator who never became a head coach (Mickey Andrews). Our admin let you guys win the conference for several years while we waited to hit rock bottom. Then they acted and, well, it worked out. Your path is clear.

Aside from blanding and Brown, what studs has London recruited from the 757? London has no significant connections and is doing a poor job recruiting.
Exactly what I was thinking every time someone claimed he could "flat out recruit". Where are they hiding all those great recruits?

Last edited:
"And yes you do have an agenda against Bryan Stinespring because you alternate between posting where VT's O and D rank with making posts about how much Stiney has destroyed VT football. Its quite clear that you post just so you can go on more rants and argue when someone doesn't agree with you. You never answered my question though, what do you hope to accomplish by ranting on Stiney constantly on a free board?
The only thing we can agree on is the main culprit, Frank Beamer, needs to move on period.[/QUOTE]

You have made several fallacies. Did you know that studies show that those who use lots of fallacies in arguments may have a lower intellectual capacity. With that in mind, you then feel as if you are entitled to a question for me? LOL. Fact is, you HATE when I give O and D stats over the years. It sickens you. It bothers you. Why? Because your blind love for Coach Beamer over the years in that mind of yours can not fathom the thought of him actually making a mistake offensively for so long. That is why you hate O and D stats. I stand by my opinion of Stinespring on staff. It is one of the biggest mistakes Beamer has made and it has/will be his downfall and initial step out the door as VT Coach. That's not an agenda. That's my opinion, and again, the ole fallacy of "you have an agenda" for when someone has a different opinion than yours does not work on this board. Do you not understand that? Do you know how many have came, tried it, and gone? Dude, get back to TSL. The ole "you have an agenda" fallacy has no weight here. The sad part about you and me agreeing on Frank Beamer as the main culprit is that people of your nature are long overdue. You would not have agreed 5-7 years ago. You see, the damage is done now. It's to late to suddenly have an epiphany about Beamer being the main culprit. Years to fix. That epiphany needed to occur 8 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT