ADVERTISEMENT

UNC is about to go on probation. It's done. NCAA finds UNC guilty.

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Jackcrow, I love your posts and updates. We all know UNC has been cheating and it has been ongoing with this and that for years. I made another thread to make it very clear from the title that this is no longer "more of the same" with another story or incident that we all think will lead to nothing. My post or reposting is to point out "with the title thread" that readers of this board know clearly........without having to read the subject matter that the NCAA has pretty much found them in violation, and now.........we are just waiting for the punishment. The investigation is done. It's over. The NCAA obviously found them "guilty" (not a court of law, but you get the picture) and now, it is just waiting on the punishment for their wrongdoing.

Reactions: Jackcrow
Well. You're a Sweet Heart !! And If others make More threads or Posts...Just Don't read them. By the Way unCheat has not answered or come public...So when that happens , look for more. Enjoy them and hope like me. They get the Worse that the NCAA can hand out...

I know that the NCAA knows they are guilty, I just want to see them to punish the guilty party appropriately. The NCAA has done a lot of investigating, some decent, and some god awful. This particular school was only reinvestigated after public opinion got so strong they were shamed into it. This is their one chance to salvage some degree of respect .

Reactions: Jackcrow
I know that the NCAA knows they are guilty, I just want to see them to punish the guilty party appropriately. The NCAA has done a lot of investigating, some decent, and some god awful. This particular school was only reinvestigated after public opinion got so strong they were shamed into it. This is their one chance to salvage some degree of respect .
I won't hold my breath. UNC holds a lot of power and influence where it counts; gov and corporate $$. This is like hoping that "other" candidate opposing the republican and democrat parties wins an election with their standard 5-9% following.

I won't hold my breath. UNC holds a lot of power and influence where it counts; gov and corporate $$. This is like hoping that "other" candidate opposing the republican and democrat parties wins an election with their standard 5-9% following.

It's done SunnyBeach. When the letter arrives, this means the NCAA has reached a CONCLUSION of GUILT. This means, the ball just left the court of UNC. For the last few years, the ball has been in the court of UNC with this scandal, that article, this report, this interview, this former players commentary, etc. THIS IS OVER. Meaning......the NCAA feels that some sort of wrong doing has been committed and now, we are in the "sentencing phase." Will the NCAA give them a "lighter sentence"? Maybe so. I do not know about that, but I know the level of atrocity committed by UNC is so great that even a "lighter sentence" or punishment will be pretty dang great. Sunnybeach, I live in NC and work with many (not a few) but MANY UNC graduates and they tell me that the academic prowess is all but done. At least from an academic perspective, they have somewhat submitted. Granted, this is not some formal study of mine (of which I am solid at) and only anecdotal from perhaps 8 people, but you get the picture.

Many of the UNC faithful are somewhat depleted when it comes to academic prowess. Athletically, it does not help that Duke just won the national title in Hoops and Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are seemingly dominating the basketball recruiting picture with the "one and done" era. In short, it is not a good time for Carolina. Nevertheless, I am a fan of the Dean. I think Dean Smith was a class act and he is completely on the opposite spectrum of my political persuasion; nevertheless, that leads me to have a little bit of love for Carolina Basketball still until this day. When the Birds play Carolina in Hoops, I am still rooting for the Gobblers, but outside of the great institution in Austin of which yours truly is a proud grad alum, and the greatest institution in the foothills of "Appalacki", I cheer for Carolina Basketball.

It's done SunnyBeach. When the letter arrives, this means the NCAA has reached a CONCLUSION of GUILT. This means, the ball just left the court of UNC. For the last few years, the ball has been in the court of UNC with this scandal, that article, this report, this interview, this former players commentary, etc. THIS IS OVER. Meaning......the NCAA feels that some sort of wrong doing has been committed and now, we are in the "sentencing phase." Will the NCAA give them a "lighter sentence"? Maybe so. I do not know about that, but I know the level of atrocity committed by UNC is so great that even a "lighter sentence" or punishment will be pretty dang great. Sunnybeach, I live in NC and work with many (not a few) but MANY UNC graduates and they tell me that the academic prowess is all but done. At least from an academic perspective, they have somewhat submitted. Granted, this is not some formal study of mine (of which I am solid at) and only anecdotal from perhaps 8 people, but you get the picture.

Many of the UNC faithful are somewhat depleted when it comes to academic prowess. Athletically, it does not help that Duke just won the national title in Hoops and Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are seemingly dominating the basketball recruiting picture with the "one and done" era. In short, it is not a good time for Carolina. Nevertheless, I am a fan of the Dean. I think Dean Smith was a class act and he is completely on the opposite spectrum of my political persuasion; nevertheless, that leads me to have a little bit of love for Carolina Basketball still until this day. When the Birds play Carolina in Hoops, I am still rooting for the Gobblers, but outside of the great institution in Austin of which yours truly is a proud grad alum, and the greatest institution in the foothills of "Appalacki", I cheer for Carolina Basketball.
Wow. I never knew you were a UNC bball fan. It's kind of surreal to hear a Hokie say that.

I use to think Smith was a class act but it's really hard to believe he couldn't have known players were being given unauthorized illegal help, not for almost 10 yrs of his admin. I think the ncaa had to have known of their guilt a year ago, when they reopened investigations. The fact that it's taken a year leads me to believe it's been a year of UNC and the ncaa in collusion with milion-dollar attorneys brainstorming on everything they can do to repair as much as possible to lighten the penalties. I'll believe they got fair punishment when I see it.

To safe the NCAA and not be split up by the Power 5 , they will give unCheat a punishment that will keep the hounds at bay. If not, then the NCAA is good as busted up and gone. I had a man that is a big Hoo Donor and is a Doctor, tell me about six years ago when all these rumors started coming out about UNC being dirty ...That IT was So Big and So Many people in power from UNC that it would take A lot for them to get any form of punishment. He knew a Man that was Ram Club President at one time and he fully understood the power of this group. The Old Doc was right, That has made me follow this like a Soap Opera, which has been in a lot of ways..

Probation is the biggest joke in the NCAA. Don't put cheaters on probation, ban them from post season. Heck Georgia Tech got caught cheating while on probation. Once again the NCAA done nothing.

I think they should be on probation until they write 50 times, " I will not cheat. I will not cheat. I will not cheet (darn it I have to start over again). I will not cheat. I will knot cheat (darn it I have to start over again). That could be a life time probation.

http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article22823382.html

What UNC must do: Fire Williams, remove banners, forfeit wins
Now what? As much as it will hurt in the short term, UNC has to give Williams his walking papers. Williams, who likes to flippantly refer to the scandal as all that “junk going on,” is a big part of the problem. Despite his status as the state’s highest-paid employee, Williams did not do his job. At best, he is an incompetent administrator who failed to maintain control over the handful of athletes he was supposed to monitor. At worst, he knew all about the cheating and took a see-no-evil-Joe-Paterno approach, hoping his immorality would go undiscovered.

UNC should also take down Williams’ now-tainted 2005 and 2009 NCAA Championship banners from the Smith Center rafters. These titles were won by cheating, plain and simple. Carolina must own up to its ill-gotten titles and voluntarily disown them. Additionally, all UNC victories for any years in which ineligible players were used should be vacated. Williams – and UNC basketball – should have those wins wiped from records. The Carolina football program, and any other nonrevenue teams that used ineligible players, should face the same fate.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article22823382.html

What UNC must do: Fire Williams, remove banners, forfeit wins
Now what? As much as it will hurt in the short term, UNC has to give Williams his walking papers. Williams, who likes to flippantly refer to the scandal as all that “junk going on,” is a big part of the problem. Despite his status as the state’s highest-paid employee, Williams did not do his job. At best, he is an incompetent administrator who failed to maintain control over the handful of athletes he was supposed to monitor. At worst, he knew all about the cheating and took a see-no-evil-Joe-Paterno approach, hoping his immorality would go undiscovered.

UNC should also take down Williams’ now-tainted 2005 and 2009 NCAA Championship banners from the Smith Center rafters. These titles were won by cheating, plain and simple. Carolina must own up to its ill-gotten titles and voluntarily disown them. Additionally, all UNC victories for any years in which ineligible players were used should be vacated. Williams – and UNC basketball – should have those wins wiped from records. The Carolina football program, and any other nonrevenue teams that used ineligible players, should face the same fate.
About as much chance of any of that happening as there is of Swofford being fired and prosecuted for screwing the conference by giving his son at Raycom the ACC tv rights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT