ADVERTISEMENT

VT Total D-46th in country. The O drops to 84th

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Just like old times baby. Well..not exactly. The D is ranked far worse than usual. It will get there.

Will it get there by Friday night against n.c. state?

The peckerheads have feasted against the worst OC schedule in the country and looked woefully unprepared when Louisville smacked them in the mouth. Will Virginia Tech be ready to do the same? I have been to games @ Lane Stadium and it can be a very intimidating atmosphere, will the fans turn out this week?

I can see the Tech defense blowing up the wusspack offensive line and dominating the game but will the offense be able to make enough plays to score?

Best of luck you guys. Be interesting to see the results.

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
Appreciate it BSH but luck ain't gonna get it at this point. We need a plane and a banner.

Surprised there isn't more conversation about Friday night's game. You guys numb from the start of the season? I would have thought a night game in Blacksburg against a conference foe would get your juices flowing. Especially a team you guys should beat.

I hope the team has more energy than this board.

We'll see where the teams stand when its Virginia Tech vs Carolina week. Things change week to week but I'll be glad to give you my opinion then if you are still interested. For Carolina I'm more worried about Wake Forest to look ahead. Wake has a very good coaching staff that is making strides with that program and played FSU tough.

As for Virginia Tech playing a team with a 3-14 ACC record over Doeren's tenure with the quality of Virginia Tech's defense combined with getting the starting QB back, and the fact that state has shown nothing against a quality opponent (since Louisville was the only quality team they have seen), I think Tech should win at home.

Do you disagree?

Btw House,

When outlets like ACC Insider write things like this,

"The Wolfpack was suddenly the team that couldn’t seem to get out of its own way in its first game of “big boy football” while being exposed by Louisville as a fraud fattened up by a steady diet of nonconference cupcakes."

I'd worry more about my own program than what the team 30 miles down the road is doing. I came to the HH board to discuss their upcoming game, it just happens to be against you peckerheads.

I would not call State a fraud just yet. The cupcake schedule had them ill prepared to play a quality opponent. Now we see how they respond. Last year we did the same thing...started 4-0 against cupcakes then crumbled at the start of conference play. But we righted the ship and the "fraud" totally took UNC to the wood shed at Kenan. All that cheating couldn't stop the beating!

As for VT vs State...both teams have question marks. Does Brewer play...how the absence of Fuller affects the D vs who replaces Thornton...does our left OT finally return...etc.

What gets me is that I can discuss the game with the rival Hokies on their board during game week without any derogatory comments/name calling going in either direction. And then here you show up.

What worries me about watching VT these days is that we don't seem to have an identity or even look like we have much of a plan at all. What existing mismatches are we trying to exploit? What new mismatches are we trying to create (or avoid)? What deficiencies are we trying to mask? What opponent weaknesses are we trying to attack? Are we a running team or a passing team? Do we try to impose our will or do we try to outwit and out finesse you? What is Plan B if Plan A isn't working? When do we make adjustments?

When I watch VT these days, I almost never get the feeling anymore than the coaching staff has a plan. What are the goals for the game? What steps are we taking to achieve those goals? What are our alternative options and solutions? How dedicated are we to sticking with the plan if we're confident that it's the best likelihood for victory?

At least the defense in the past showed a clear plan of attack (a special defense just for GT, for example...also, blitz some teams like crazy and lay back for others)...but even the defense this year has looked like we're just going to run the same package against everyone and hope it works.

The offense has been the opposite spectrum since the early 2000s (Stiney freely admitted in the past that we ran the same stuff against everyone, regardless of who it was), so I'm not expecting any miracles there, but I get the sense at times that Loeffler has no idea what plays he's going to call on the next series until that series gets here. Paul Johnson knows exactly what plays he's going to call against VT before the season even kicks off. He might tweak his play sheet slightly as the season unfolds and some things end up working better than others, but he has a general plan worked out in his head months or even years before the games even happen. I'm not convinced that our offensive coaches even know what they're going call in the 3rd qtr when they're all sitting around during the halftime break.

I think after the past few seasons that VT has lost some of its swagger and aura. When your guys would enter the field to Sandman with a D guy toting the lunch pale, you could almost see the opposing team's eyes widen and a cumulative "Oh F&%$!" being mumbled under their breath. That intimidation factor seems to have diminished a bit ...sort of like Tiger Woods. Teams see some of the WTF losses the last few years and it gives them a huge sense of confidence that they did not have during all those 10 win seasons VT was putting up. As far as the real problem, as an outsider, what I see is the lack of an explosive offense that is not very creative with its play calling. I think your defense is good enough to win games provided your offense does enough to give your D some good breathers. I will say it again...all you guys need (IMHO) is a good young innovative OC that can also recruit. A Lincoln Riley/Chad Morris type guy would get you back to where you want to be...provided Beamer lets them have the freedom to call the plays.

Any coaching changes would have to be done without Beamer. Frank's only goal in life is make sure his good bud Stiney stays on the payroll for as long as he's in power.

The VT offense is the only place in the country where 15 years of ridiculously poor performance results can be rewarded so handsomely.

We'll see how this game and the season develops.

From your own board and your own fan Packed.

"Doeren has never beaten anyone with a winning record or that wasnt a directional school.
I could see these next few weeks going badly if the team drops this one without much of a fight.

get your 6 wins and go to the Quicklane or Military bowl vs Tulsa. Should be a great Wednesday
afternoon matchup. rinse and repeat"

................crack ride is a never ending source of amusement!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT