ADVERTISEMENT

VT's 2016 class off to the worst start in 15 yrs? By the numbers....yes

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
Disclaimer......VT's 2016 class may turn out to be a top 20 class if things change. Every kid in the class may become an NFL starter. Every kid in the class may become a first team All-American. I simply DO NOT know what will happen with each kid in the 2016 class or how the 2016 class will turn out as a whole. Nobody else does either....

Now.....numbers only. No emotion. Simply a fact here that I noticed.

You would have to go back to OVER 15 years ago at VT to have a class in which........of the first 13 players that have committed, not one of them is at least a four star player or above. Again, you have to go back over 1.5 decades to find a time at Virginia Tech in which not one of the first 13 players were at least 1 four star player or above.

Thoughts on the above....Could we land a total of 7 (five star players) to finish the class or land 10 more players of which all are 4 stars, etc? Maybe, again, I don't know the answer. I do know this.......the fact I gave you above is just that....it's a fact. To make the statement, "not much has changed and we are right on par with recruiting where we always have been" may not be accurate. It is hard to say. Is this is one year thing and not a trend? Time will tell.

Disclaimer......VT's 2016 class may turn out to be a top 20 class if things change. Every kid in the class may become an NFL starter. Every kid in the class may become a first team All-American. I simply DO NOT know what will happen with each kid in the 2016 class or how the 2016 class will turn out as a whole. Nobody else does either....

Now.....numbers only. No emotion. Simply a fact here that I noticed.

You would have to go back to OVER 15 years ago at VT to have a class in which........of the first 13 players that have committed, not one of them is at least a four star player or above. Again, you have to go back over 1.5 decades to find a time at Virginia Tech in which not one of the first 13 players were at least 1 four star player or above.

Thoughts on the above....Could we land a total of 7 (five star players) to finish the class or land 10 more players of which all are 4 stars, etc? Maybe, again, I don't know the answer. I do know this.......the fact I gave you above is just that....it's a fact. To make the statement, "not much has changed and we are right on par with recruiting where we always have been" may not be accurate. It is hard to say. Is this is one year thing and not a trend? Time will tell.

It will be a trend as long as Beamer is the HC here. It's no coincidence that recruiting is getting even worse the last 1-2 years of his career. Forget his bust's of hires, forget the fact we have an RC/TE coach making more than our current OC AND our best coach in Torrian Gray, the buck starts and stops with him. He can say all he wants to in interviews how he's rejuvenated, bottom line is he's holding this program hostage at this point.
At one point I almost wanted Foster to leave just to prove to everyone without a shadow of a doubt who is holding this program together.

Reactions: Jackcrow
The last couple of classes have been good. I'm pretty excited about Clark and Lawson among others. This class is shaping up to be ordinary unless we make some last minute moves on big time players or have some sleepers like Cam Chancellor. I doubt it though.

We are young at alot of positions so its going to be hard to sale playing time and depth has always been an issue here. Not happy with losing the states top talent to the likes of Duke, Arizona State and Stanford but then again we do seem to be targeting more out of state talent in the south so thats good. Gotta consider too that a few very good recruiting coaches have landed around us and revitalized what was dead programs including Franklin at PSU and Jones at UT. Even Stoops at UK has gotten into the ear of Virginia recruits the last few years.

We are young at alot of positions so its going to be hard to sale playing time and depth has always been an issue here..

Any top OL, WR, LB, DE, would have as easy of a path to immediate playing time with VT as they would with any of the 900 teams currently ranked ahead of us in recruiting. We are not exactly overloaded at hardly any position, and razor thin at others. Teams like Bama, OSU, FSU, etc., do a better job of selling playing time at a position stacked with 5 stars, than we do of selling playing position at spots that we don't even know who will be in the 2 spot.

Any top OL, WR, LB, DE, would have as easy of a path to immediate playing time with VT as they would with any of the 900 teams currently ranked ahead of us in recruiting. We are not exactly overloaded at hardly any position, and razor thin at others. Teams like Bama, OSU, FSU, etc., do a better job of selling playing time at a position stacked with 5 stars, than we do of selling playing position at spots that we don't even know who will be in the 2 spot.

We are top 50 with barely a dozen commitments. Alot of teams ranked ahead of us are almost finished with their class. Some will finish behind us as they always do. We are about where we always are this time of year...paced to finish around top25. We arent going to recruit with the Bamas, OSUs and Noles of the world. Kids would rather go there, redshirt and play for a title as come to VT, redshirt and likely not sniff a title shot. We have alot of 4star RS underclassmen starting. I expect most if not all of our 4stars from last years class to redshirt. IMO, thats a hard sell for immediate playing time this year. a recruit would have to be Fuller or Tyrod caliber to see the field and even then its not a lock.

Rankings are way over rated...True... usually 5 star talent is 5 star talent most times(Dexter Lawrence should be a 6* if possible if you see him play DT 2016)...but too many misses on 3* vs 4*....prime example Jimmie Taylor DE recruit(2016) with offers to VT Michigan Tennessee Florida UNC NCSU DUKE Wisconsin and others is listed as a 3* and is a legit 4* simply how he is recruited shows that by staffs across the country...then I see a kid with offers to Colorado Wyoming Boise as a 4*...rely on the staffs evaluations...ratings are for us the fans and the coaches get it right more often.The writers are well...writers w/ no coaching or playing experience more times than not

Reactions: 1bburgfan
Wasn't Luther Maddy only rated a 2*? Also, look at some of VT's super walkons But, it would be nice to get a 5* OL/DL one of these years...

Wasn't Luther Maddy only rated a 2*? Also, look at some of VT's super walkons But, it would be nice to get a 5* OL/DL one of these years...

Yeah, he was. Tyrod Taylor was a 5* and David Wilson was darn close to it, though. I'm not saying we don't get our share of those kinds of guys (like Maddy or Tapp or whatever), but we can't just recruit one quality guy in a two-deep rotation and a bunch of ATHs projecting to unnatural positions behind them and expect to be that competitive. Look at last year on defense, for instance.

With the poor recruiting class 15 years ago, didn't they start a string of 10+win seasons and got us into a Nat. Ch. game? I'll take this poor group if that is the result.

We did get Austin Clark and Tim Settles last year. Hopefully, with WR cupboard stocked (except for Grant Holloway) and quality RB's, VT can go harder after some 4-5* OL/DL next year. We lose some quality DL after this year!

VT used to beat ACC teams like Maryland, Duke, Wake Forest, etc. because our guys were bigger, faster and stronger (maybe more talented). We could win 7-8 games simply because of that factor. That is no longer the case. Now most of the ACC teams are as big, fast and strong as the VT players. That is why we are now a middle of the pack ACC team. 3 star recruits will not make VT stand out from the crowd (no matter how good the coaching is or how well the 3 star players play). We need better players (the 4 and 5 stars recruits do tend to start out bigger, faster and stronger) to dominate the ACC (similar to what FSU and Clemson have done).

I do not think stars mean that much, but just look at our players and the competition and I do not see a lot of difference (like I used to). It may be a very long time before VT wins another ACC Championship.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I think stars mean a lot. If you are recruiting at the top ten level on a consistent basis and have good coaches you are always going to be in play. For every diamond in the rough there are a lot of guys that can't cut it .

Reactions: SunnyBeachWave
I think stars mean a lot. If you are recruiting at the top ten level on a consistent basis and have good coaches you are always going to be in play. For every diamond in the rough there are a lot of guys that can't cut it .
Well said.....the talent rating of a recruit matters to me too. I don't think everyone would get so fired up when we get a TT or Fuller if a 5* rating didn't mean the kid wasn't more likely to have high potential.

WE need 4 and 5 star skill position players.

(and 5 star play calling by OC)
Bottom line is we have to offer what it takes to get those 4* and 5* players. Call me whatever but I think that first on their minds is NFL prospects. Obviously if you are a 5* then you already have to be thinking pros. So . . .you need to get into a program that is known for developing talent at your position, will have exposure to national TV, and National Title hopes (IE more TV exposure) is key. Secondary would be other factors like location, atmosphere, early playing time, etc. These kids aren't dumb and they know what they want. They may not be educated in the sense that we express education but they aren't dumb.

VT has some of the secondary tangibles needed. IE - major conference, reasonable facilities. We are lacking in high level coaching (big name coaches to develop talent for the next level), and exposure right now. We are not relevant and thus do not receive much media attention. Heck even playing the number one team in the country in our house couldn't sway Game Day to show up. That is how far we have shrunk in the eyes of the media.

You Don't get better than Bud Foster as a D Coordinator. Torrian Gray, while maybe not a household name-yet, is an excellent DB coach. We all know that Bud's/VT's Defense has carried the Hokies for many years. However, the high scoring, exciting offense only makes an occasional appearance (Michael Vick, Tyrod Taylor) and I think that hurts VT overall. HS kids want the shock and awe, the flashy style rather than watching Bud/Defense always have to keep the game low scoring,and the offense dependent on turnovers caused by the defense or special teams to get enuff points to win the game.

I personally would rather watch VT win big (52-3, 63-0) than a 21-20 win with a blocked extra point late in the game saving the day. This year, I hope the OL gives Brewer time to pass & he passes accurately, the receivers get open, catch and run after the catch.

However, in 2016, Dwayne Lawson brings 5* talent (though rated only 4*'s) that has not often been seen at QB, VT will have several high caliber RB's, receivers, the biggest uncertainty is again the OL (surprise, surprise). That is why the 2016 OL crop thus far is the disappointment. VT has to get more 4* OL; don't know if VT has ever had a serious chance at a 5* OL, but that has to change for VT to get to the next level IMHO.

You Don't get better than Bud Foster as a D Coordinator. Torrian Gray, while maybe not a household name-yet, is an excellent DB coach. We all know that Bud's/VT's Defense has carried the Hokies for many years. However, the high scoring, exciting offense only makes an occasional appearance (Michael Vick, Tyrod Taylor) and I think that hurts VT overall. HS kids want the shock and awe, the flashy style rather than watching Bud/Defense always have to keep the game low scoring,and the offense dependent on turnovers caused by the defense or special teams to get enuff points to win the game.

I personally would rather watch VT win big (52-3, 63-0) than a 21-20 win with a blocked extra point late in the game saving the day. This year, I hope the OL gives Brewer time to pass & he passes accurately, the receivers get open, catch and run after the catch.

However, in 2016, Dwayne Lawson brings 5* talent (though rated only 4*'s) that has not often been seen at QB, VT will have several high caliber RB's, receivers, the biggest uncertainty is again the OL (surprise, surprise). That is why the 2016 OL crop thus far is the disappointment. VT has to get more 4* OL; don't know if VT has ever had a serious chance at a 5* OL, but that has to change for VT to get to the next level IMHO.

I agree on the O-line. I believe that the recruits have to believe in us and the only thing that is going to do that is to win.

I actually came here to see if there was any recruiting talk and to let you know you're getting a steal in Josh Jackson. I live in his hometown and have watched him play the last couple of years. Last Friday they played a perennial power and he picked them apart (minus a pick early). He can throw on the run and has great touch on deep throws. Not to mention he hung in the pocket against a blitz twice and got drilled as he threw two TD's. He's fast enough and has gotten bigger then what he's listed at. As a UM fan I can't figure out why they were never interested especially since his dad coached there for 30 years. Congrats on this kid, I'll be rooting for him in the future.

Reactions: Hokie81
We lost three 4stars(Fisher,Keihn,Reavis) all in about a month this past Summer and almost lost another (McKenzie). We always get talent, just not enough of it. Thats why we beat the average ACC teams fairly regularly but struggle to beat the more elite teams. We hang around, take a slight lead and dont have the depth to wrap it up against deeper teams.

We have struggled in the last three years for sure but I think we fielded a very good team before that .

I actually came here to see if there was any recruiting talk and to let you know you're getting a steal in Josh Jackson. I live in his hometown and have watched him play the last couple of years. Last Friday they played a perennial power and he picked them apart (minus a pick early). He can throw on the run and has great touch on deep throws. Not to mention he hung in the pocket against a blitz twice and got drilled as he threw two TD's. He's fast enough and has gotten bigger then what he's listed at. As a UM fan I can't figure out why they were never interested especially since his dad coached there for 30 years. Congrats on this kid, I'll be rooting for him in the future.

I think Joshua Jackson will develop into a vg Qb for VT, looking forward to seeing him in maroon/orange!

I think Joshua Jackson will develop into a vg Qb for VT, looking forward to seeing him in maroon/orange!
This could very well happen. I think he can sling it really well and while he isn't as large as Lawson he isn't small by any means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT