ADVERTISEMENT

Well OSU is a heavy favorite

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
to win our game easily and to waltz thru their schedule and repeat as National Champs.

Getting' tired of hearing how good they will be.

I hope all the interviews and photo shoots distract them and they walk into Lane Stadium thinking they will win just by showing up.

Bring it! Big favorites last year in their house. If our guys were to lose, it's "I told you they would". We go 2-0 vs OSU? Deal with it, haters :)

If VT plays a great game, will have a chance, but Lane Stadium boost hasn't helped the W's recently as much in better days. Win or lose, both teams have a long season remaining afterwards, ...

Let's Go Hokies!!!

Vegas is Vegas. I can tell you I know no OSU fan who is taking VT lightly. You beat us last year in our own house, fair and square.

Cant wait for it to get here.

Reactions: mobuckeye
If they get past VT (which they most likely will) their schedule is very favorable. I have little doubt they will be playing for the NT.

They have three QB's who would be starting if they all weren't on the same team. They are so talent laden it's almost amazing. I know our guys will do their best. It will be a happening this year because of what happened last year.

If they get past VT (which they most likely will) their schedule is very favorable. I have little doubt they will be playing for the NT.

Not as confident as you about OSU skating through their schedule. Tough games against Michigan State, Michigan (at Michigan and a rivalry game) and possibly PSU and Minnesota. And if we make it that far, the BIG 10 Championship game. On paper it looks favorable but there's parity in today's CF and I take nothing for granted. Very, very hard to go undefeated anymore

Not as confident as you about OSU skating through their schedule. Tough games against Michigan State, Michigan (at Michigan and a rivalry game) and possibly PSU and Minnesota. And if we make it that far, the BIG 10 Championship game. On paper it looks favorable but there's parity in today's CF and I take nothing for granted. Very, very hard to go undefeated anymore

Not counting the VT game you guys play @Indiana, @Rutgers, @Illinois and @Michigan. Out of those games only Michigan COULD give you a game, but they've beaten you guys once since 2004. No reason to suggest this will be the year will be any different. Your toughest game all year is against Michigan State......Penn State isn't good.

The team from Ohio is a media darling. I believe they were favored last year also.

OSU is always a favorite discussion among the media, whether they are saying good or bad things. They have a recognizable name, a large fanbase, and a lot of people who would like to see them lose because of that as well. Add that Meyer is a name coach, it's something different talking about a non-SEC team as a favorite and even a Defending National Champion (although FSU was in a similar boat last season).

In essence, OSU moves the needle. But as the nature of media is, after all the talking up of The Buckeyes, I'm starting to see some of the talking heads now brining up scenarios where the Buckeyes could falter. The night in Blacksburg being one of those possibilities.

Does OSU play the wv mounties any time soon? Seems like that would be rivalry, ... any history?

Point is, the Ohio team plays a weak schedule compared to most ranked teams.

So get on Michigan and Penn State for failing to live up to their potential as that would certainly up OSU's Strength of Schedule.

If we are going by ranking the strength of schedules, Ohio State had a more difficult schedule than Baylor or TCU last year. Add that last season OSU also,played the #1 and #2 ranked teams. Add MSU and Ohio State played 3 of the top 5 final ranked teams.

In 2015 based on the NCAA method of deterring strength of schedules, OSU comes in ranked 42. Florida State was a little ahead at 40. Behind OSU where Texas #44, Virginia Tech #46, PSU #50, Oregon #58, Notre Dame #61, Baylor #88, and TCU #93.

Would you like to add anything or are those facts getting in the way again?

Facts mean nothing when posting with HR....he doesn't believe anyone plays a tougher schedule than VT or Nicky Satan's Alabama squad. And he will tell you he believes Baylor and TCU played a tougher schedule than OSU even though the facts prove otherwise.......watch.

Not a problem. It doesn't upset me when HR makes his comments. Don't think that I'm not having fun calling him out on his statements.

After VT game, Ohio plays Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and Indiana. Then Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State and Michigan. If I didn't know different, by looking at that schedule I would think it's a Youngstown State schedule, or a similar school. Heck half the ACC could probably run the table against Hawaii, N. ILL, W. Michigan and Indiana. Anyone who think the team from Ohio plays a tough schedule simply is un-familiar with college football.

Reactions: klemman
Again, you can't blame OSU for the recent status of Michigan and Penn State. I believe when VT was originally scheduled the Hokies were a perennial Top 5-10 team. If Those teams played up to what would have been expected 5 years ago plus MSU, that would be a pretty good schedule.

Nor can you blame OSU for not wanting to play a home and home for a mid-level P5 conference team.

I will admit that there was a stretch of about 4 years were the quality of the OOC schedule was questionable but that was due more to the shift to the 12 game schedule and conference realignments creating a need for some teams to pull out of the agreements.

Future OOC schedule includes: Oklahoma in 2016-17, TCU 2018-2019, Oregon 2020-2021, Texas and Notre Dame 2022-23. Recent history of OOC opponents included Texas, USC, Miami, and other mid-level P5 teams.

And as mentioned before, OSU has a comparative SOS to FSU and a better one than Texas, VT, Oregon, Baylor, and TCU. Once the facts are brought up, your argument loses steam.

After VT game, Ohio plays Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and Indiana. Then Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan State and Michigan. If I didn't know different, by looking at that schedule I would think it's a Youngstown State schedule, or a similar school. Heck half the ACC could probably run the table against Hawaii, N. ILL, W. Michigan and Indiana. Anyone who think the team from Ohio plays a tough schedule simply is un-familiar with college football.

Are you really comparing OSU's OOC schedule to Furman, Purdue and East Carolin? Where's VT's marquee game? Oh yeah, Ohio State. You're welcome by the way because without the Buckeyes you SOS drops to TCU and Baylor level.

I wish VT would play a SEC team or a Baylor/TCU rather than any Big 10 team. Big 10 sucks, always has, always will.

Ohio plays a weak schedule, any way one looks at it. Very weak OOC schedule other than VT.

HR....I just looked at the strength of schedules for both teams and OSU is 42nd and VT is 46th. So knocking a teams SOS that is ahead of your team is just plain ignorant.......by the way I would trade UVA's schedule with either one of you since they rank 12th in SOS, and we will suck again.

HR....I just looked at the strength of schedules for both teams and OSU is 42nd and VT is 46th.

Ever stop to think that maybe the only reason OSU's OOC schedule is ranked so high is because they play VT?

C'mon...surely there's someone beyond HR6 on this board that believes that statement. Really, no one? Hello?

HR....I just looked at the strength of schedules for both teams and OSU is 42nd and VT is 46th. So knocking a teams SOS that is ahead of your team is just plain ignorant.......by the way I would trade UVA's schedule with either one of you since they rank 12th in SOS, and we will suck again.
Your SOS is why I think London gets a free pass on the season. Win 4 or 5 and he will be back.

Ever stop to think that maybe the only reason OSU's OOC schedule is ranked so high is because they play VT?

C'mon...surely there's someone beyond HR6 on this board that believes that statement. Really, no one? Hello?
Hello.....did you stop to think that VT's is ranked high because they play OSU.

Teams can't be held responsible for the quality or lack of quality if their conference.

OOC schedules can be a complicated issue due to money and timing. The good thing is that if you win a championship in a playoff system, you really don't have to prove anything else.

Kudos to OSU and VT setting up the home and home. Posters like HR can't see the light thru their own bias. And if the bias is strong enough it can lead to outright stupidity.

We need to point to OSU, and recently Bama and Nebraska, and before that USC and LSU, and some time ago, TX A&M, on our schedule to help us recruit and improve our program.

Look what happened, we beat OSU once (who would have thought) , played Bama close both years, should have beat USC, beat Nebraska twice and LSU once (again, who would have thought) and beat TX A&M twice.

These teams have nothing to gain to play VT and I thank those schools for scheduling us.

We need to point to OSU, and recently Bama and Nebraska, and before that USC and LSU, and some time ago, TX A&M, on our schedule to help us recruit and improve our program.

Look what happened, we beat OSU once (who would have thought) , played Bama close both years, should have beat USC, beat Nebraska twice and LSU once (again, who would have thought) and beat TX A&M twice.

These teams have nothing to gain to play VT and I thank those schools for scheduling us.

VT's defense like any football program with a good defense can't be counted out of any game.

If offense ever catches up with defense, look out.

Actually, if offense ever gets in sight of the defense, look out.

I was trying to get excited about this year's offense with all the returnees. Then reality hit me that we have a mostly new Oline with limited experience. We will need the lighter schedule after OSU to break them in.

I'm slightly more optimistic this year as it seems our offense is always a complete dumpster fire in the pre-season scrimmages. This year they have actually been doing something.

It will come down to play calling. i.e. don't try to run ball on first/second down every possession. Throw it down the field, thus opening up running lanes.

If I were AD, VT would not play Big 10 in any sport , other than Nebraska or Penn State.
Nebraska and Penn State are not sports.
Last year we were very fortunate to beat OSU.
Play calling is very important. Last year was the first time I remember running on first and second down and passing on third down ever resulting in a win against a really good opponent. Brewer was fantastic in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT