ADVERTISEMENT

What's everyone's opinion of recruiting thus far?

...or did we....hmmmmm. We shall see.
IMO, were in good shape everywhere except OL. Need some good news there.

Today we got a 2018 verbal from 4 star QB DeQuan Ellis!

Things are going very well I'd say.

Historically I have seen that a coach brings his best class that is his 2nd class. He usually does not have much time to do anything other than try to hold on to what he can for the 1st class since he is just walking in. But most often, the 2nd ends up being his best class. That is not how this class is shaping up for this staff. So, considering that, I am a little disappointed in this class so far.

Not too excited about it.. I think we are pulling in some solid players, some pieces that Fuente needs to get hiss system going.. But VT is not going to get to where it wants to be until we start pulling in the states top 10 players.. When VT was dominating the state we were winning 10+ games and winning conference championships .. States top players are all going out of state now, because its the "thing to do" We gotta make it cool to put on for VA again. We need a new Vick to come put a spark in the 757.

The days of dominating the state in recruiting are over. As If beating out our in-state rival UVA for recruits wasnt enough, there are too many other coaches and programs that have ties to the state and the 757. Its not going to get any easier either with James Franklin now at PSU and Durkin, London and Chris Beatty now at Maryland. All of which have been a thorn in the side for VT recruiting in the past.
"Technically" I would call this Fuentes first recruiting class and there is still a good chance he gets the states #1 player in Devon Hunter.

Today we received a commitment from 4* WRm Tahj Capeheart. Was announced on ESPN news .

Gotta start somewhere. Pleased with the kids that have said they want to be Hokies so far. Turn the tide and start winning more than 6-7 a year and the recruiting will follow.

We lost Jordan Williams who to me, was more important that another WR. Don't get me wrong, I am happy about Capeheart, but I am really pissed about losing Williams to Dumbo. :mad:

Hell, the Vols are a top10 team and Clemson has 3 of the state of Tennessee's top 10 recruits including the states #1 recruit. Gotta give it to Dabo, hes cooking with hot grease right now. IMO, we never stood much of a chance with Williams anyway.
Without sounding like too much of a homer, with Hunter,Holston, Garbutt, Proctor and Castro-Fields (among others) still in play, I think we are in for some pleasant surprises soon. We could still end up with a top25 class this year.

The days of dominating the state in recruiting are over. As If beating out our in-state rival UVA for recruits wasnt enough, there are too many other coaches and programs that have ties to the state and the 757. Its not going to get any easier either with James Franklin now at PSU and Durkin, London and Chris Beatty now at Maryland. All of which have been a thorn in the side for VT recruiting in the past.
"Technically" I would call this Fuentes first recruiting class and there is still a good chance he gets the states #1 player in Devon Hunter.

I'm a Lion and my wife is a Hokie..I will say this, there are 9 Va guys on PSU's roster this year. All are on the three deep, 4 are starters as sophomores and juniors. One led the BIG in receiving his freshman year with around 100 receptions(I believe).

Franklin has 4 more players 3* or better committed for next year's class from Va. Not to mention guys like Michael Robinson, Deon Butler, Evan Royster and Hackenberg from the past

Tech can't let that stuff continue if they want to be a national top 25 team. There is just too much talent going to BIG schools...although Maryland sucks and you don't have to worry about them...they won't be a .500 team playing in the BIG east with PSU, Michigan, MSU, and OSU

I still remember the Kevin Jones thing between VT and PSU. The entire nation was shocked that a VA kid would choose to stay home and attend a top 5 ranked (at the time) VA school?

Uhh, yep...there's definitely an image problem somewhere. Are people shocked when an Oregon kid wants to stay home and play for Oregon? How 'bout when a Texas kid wants to stay home and play for TCU? Or when an Oklahoma kid wants to stay home and play for Okie St?

And the blue bloods I can understand a little bit (Penn St back in the day, Michigan, FSU, Texas, Southern Cal...even old school UTenn), but why in the world VA kids are lining up to attend schools like UNC is beyond me. UNC did finally break out last year, but UNC football had been a black hole of infractions and mediocrity over the previous two decades before that.

I still remember the Kevin Jones thing between VT and PSU. The entire nation was shocked that a VA kid would choose to stay home and attend a top 5 ranked (at the time) VA school?

Uhh, yep...there's definitely an image problem somewhere. Are people shocked when an Oregon kid wants to stay home and play for Oregon? How 'bout when a Texas kid wants to stay home and play for TCU? Or when an Oklahoma kid wants to stay home and play for Okie St?

And the blue bloods I can understand a little bit (Penn St back in the day, Michigan, FSU, Texas, Southern Cal...even old school UTenn), but why in the world VA kids are lining up to attend schools like UNC is beyond me. UNC did finally break out last year, but UNC football had been a black hole of infractions and mediocrity over the previous two decades before that.

Kevin Jones was from Pennsylvania. The entire nation was shocked because a PA kid chose to spurn his in-state traditional powerhouse school and sign with upstart Virginia Tech.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT