ADVERTISEMENT

"Who dun did it"? Who da man that received the Wake Forest tip? LOL

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
My opinion only here folks and this is simply one dudes opinion of who the former assistant was that received the Wake Forest Tip.

Was it a defensive guy? Think about this if you are the Wake Forest guy and wanting your team to lose<-----don't know on God's beautiful earth why the fool would do that to his comrades, but nevertheless think about this for a minute. Would you give the gameplan to an assistant on one of the best defenses in the country for the last 2 or so decades? Did our defense really "need the help"? My reasoning or opinion is......of course not.

If you are the guy at WF and you know what VT's weakness was, who would you give the gameplan to in order for your team to have a better chance of winning? You would give the "gameplan"<-----whatever that entails in this situation to the offensive side of the ball at VT. Now, I believe Beamer and Bud in that they knew nothing of it. I am not a betting man (never have been or will be) but just for the sake of writing, I bet you the culprit was on the offensive side of the ball. Again, not a real bet, but just kidding. I also have no idea or clue who that person was, but I believe Lefty may have very well known about it without letting Beamer know. Why? Beamer had no clue about offense anyway, so Lefty telling Beamer that he had the gameplan for Wake's Defense would have been about as useful as tits on a bore-hog. It simply does not work and is useless. I suspect the offensive side of the ball because Lefty could have very easily stepped up in the last 2 days and stated, "I was the OC at the time and did not know squat about any gameplan from WF." <-------That statement has yet to occur; therefore, that tells me that he knew which tells me, the offensive side of the ball got the tip, either Lefty himself or one of the assistants, or perhaps even the "other" offensive coordinating genius in the pressbox.

Only my opinions, but I do think we will find out which assistant coach at the time got the tip and the above is PURE SPECULATION and not facts. They are only my opinions and speculation, which is why its called a "message board." Its used for facts and opinions. For all I know, it could have been Cornell Brown for heavens sake, but I just believe it was on the offensive side of the ball which makes it all the more comical to me! LMAO. We put up 3 points in regulation AND 2 overtimes on the mighty Demon-Deacons! LMAO. You can not make that up folks! The comedy about our former offensive ineptitude is just over the top and leaves one falling out of his or her chair. At least, it does for me.

I disagree....you would get Wakes offensive plan so you could stop them as VT did. But I'm sure Bud knew nothing about it.....:rolleyes:

As bad as Wake Forest was that year, my guess is that the VT assistant thought he was being rickrolled.

IMHO, if I were a Tech coach and some announcer for Wake contacted me and wanted to give me the offensive game plan of their team, I'd be so suspicious that I'd think that they were fake game plans to throw us off. No jury in the world would find us guilty if they just watched the game tape.

IMHO, if I were a Tech coach and some announcer for Wake contacted me and wanted to give me the offensive game plan of their team, I'd be so suspicious that I'd think that they were fake game plans to throw us off. No jury in the world would find us guilty if they just watched the game tape.
I laugh every time I read how we couldn't have used the game plan since we lost. If you have their offensive game plan and hold a team to nothing but FG's I would say a good chance you used the info.

Hoos. We may never know if we had the information or not. For the sake of integrity I hope we did not use it. To say that we held Wake Forest to only field goals is not too surprising considering the two teams. I would understand if it were UVA holding Wake to field goals. But. . . our defense was stout enough to hold Wake to field goals on its own merit without need of game plans.

The way our offense looked that game, Wake must have had our game plans.

Oh wait, maybe it was the offensive play calling.

Hoos. We may never know if we had the information or not. For the sake of integrity I hope we did not use it. To say that we held Wake Forest to only field goals is not too surprising considering the two teams. I would understand if it were UVA holding Wake to field goals. But. . . our defense was stout enough to hold Wake to field goals on its own merit without need of game plans.
No question VT could hold Wake to FG's without their game plan......but would be pretty easy to do with the game plan as well....just sayin.

Just rationally thinking that if VT could hold Wake to FG's without the game plan then the reasonable person would think that the risks outweigh the benefits of having the game plan. I hope that was the thinking of the coaching staff. The only person who could really benefit from the plans would be Foster. I just hope he was not involved. If so, then like it or not he should be let go. This type of behavior should not be tolerated.

[QUOTE="swmrappell, post: 103702, The only person who could really benefit from the plans would be Foster. I just hope he was not involved. If so, then like it or not he should be let go.

Swmrapp, sometimes you just write things that are 100 percent wrong. Not a little wrong or majority wrong, but 100 percent wrong.

Your first statement about Foster being the only one to benefit. Do you realize how foolish you sound? Foster was the one on staff with a brain and a history of elite level defensive coaching. The offensive side of the ball? Well, we know that story. We had coaching bordering on the mentally retarded level offensively. Look dude, if you hand a kid with Down's Syndrome a basic book about learning the letters of the alphabet, and then you hand the same book to a college graduate (excluding WVU and UNC) who do you think could benefit more? Common sense tells us that's it's the kid with lower IQ or less academic success. That same logic applies with Foster. Our O needed all the help it could get and then some. Foster is the least person to benefit on Tech's staff.

Regarding dismissing Foster.If he were the one to receive the gameplan. That is also insanity. If he were the guy to receive the game plan, then VT should give him a 50,000 dollar annual bonus. Why? If the opponent or other team is ignorant enough to literally hand you the game plan or playbook, then the person who takes it is smart to do so and is putting the ignorant opponent out if its misery. There is cheating such as spying on an opponent, video recording of them, etc. That is wrong, But.....When the opponent gives you the playbook? The NCAA should say, if some opponent is stupid enough to give you the game plan, then you should use it well to put the stupid and pathetic opponent out of its misery.

Now....This is what has had me laughing constantly. We were so dam$ stupid on the offensive side of the ball in the coaching area that we still managed to lose the game! I am telling ya, the guy at Wake immediately after the game was over had to think to himself, "man, what a bunch of dumba$$es."

VT should create a policy. For all the shorttbrained opponents out there that wish to literally give your gameplan or playbook to us, we will gladly accept. We will never spy or steal or pay money or any of that non sense, but if stupid enough to literally hand it to us, we gladly accept.

I don't get it dude. How freaking politically correct has this country become.

If VT truly had Wake's game plan in 2014, then we should get fined again for only scoring 3 points in that game.

That's why I don't think the entire staff knew about it. I mean, I'm the world's #1 Stiney Hater of all-time...but even I don't think he was THAT incompetent. NO living human being could be that incompetent. Hell, half of the dead human beings in the world couldn't be that incompetent.

[QUOTE="swmrappell, post: 103702, The only person who could really benefit from the plans would be Foster. I just hope he was not involved. If so, then like it or not he should be let go.

Swmrapp, sometimes you just write things that are 100 percent wrong. Not a little wrong or majority wrong, but 100 percent wrong.

Your first statement about Foster being the only one to benefit. Do you realize how foolish you sound? Foster was the one on staff with a brain and a history of elite level defensive coaching. The offensive side of the ball? Well, we know that story. We had coaching bordering on the mentally retarded level offensively. Look dude, if you hand a kid with Down's Syndrome a basic book about learning the letters of the alphabet, and then you hand the same book to a college graduate (excluding WVU and UNC) who do you think could benefit more? Common sense tells us that's it's the kid with lower IQ or less academic success. That same logic applies with Foster. Our O needed all the help it could get and then some. Foster is the least person to benefit on Tech's staff.

Regarding dismissing Foster.If he were the one to receive the gameplan. That is also insanity. If he were the guy to receive the game plan, then VT should give him a 50,000 dollar annual bonus. Why? If the opponent or other team is ignorant enough to literally hand you the game plan or playbook, then the person who takes it is smart to do so and is putting the ignorant opponent out if its misery. There is cheating such as spying on an opponent, video recording of them, etc. That is wrong, But.....When the opponent gives you the playbook? The NCAA should say, if some opponent is stupid enough to give you the game plan, then you should use it well to put the stupid and pathetic opponent out of its misery.

Now....This is what has had me laughing constantly. We were so dam$ stupid on the offensive side of the ball in the coaching area that we still managed to lose the game! I am telling ya, the guy at Wake immediately after the game was over had to think to himself, "man, what a bunch of dumba$$es."

VT should create a policy. For all the shorttbrained opponents out there that wish to literally give your gameplan or playbook to us, we will gladly accept. We will never spy or steal or pay money or any of that non sense, but if stupid enough to literally hand it to us, we gladly accept.

Lucas the team didn't give VT the game plan.....the announcer did. I know he had access to the plan to help him prepare to announce the game but he wasn't part of Clausen's staff. If the coach didn't use the plan why not give it to Bud or Frank? Or maybe he did....

Lucus,
Here you are wrong on this. First, it is immoral at the very least to take an opponent's game book. I do not care what your morals are. It is wrong and should not be tolerated. Yes - Foster is a fantastic defensive schemer in his own right. Yes - he really didn't need the plans. But if he took the plans and used them then he should be disciplined - ie terminated. There is no place at Virginia Tech for that type of shenanigans. Period. End of discussion.

You stated that spying or videotaping would be wrong yet you support receiving a playbook. Kind of walking a double standard there. And it was not the other team that gave this to our coach but the radio announcer. Big Difference.

And who benefits more from an opponent's game plans? Offense or defense?

I rest my case.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I don't think VT used game plans that the guy provided or attempted to provide. The ACC just fined VT to help cover for Louisville.. ACC has to help Louisville cover their unethical stuff in order for ACC not to look bad for bringing such a school into ACC. I predict the sex party investigations will rival UNC's drawn out investigation of fake classes.

Reactions: Windows NT
I don't think VT used game plans that the guy provided or attempted to provide. The ACC just fined VT to help cover for Louisville.. ACC has to help Louisville cover their unethical stuff in order for ACC not to look bad for bringing such a school into ACC. I predict the sex party investigations will rival UNC's drawn out investigation of fake classes.
Your "opinion" is they didn't use the game plan given to them.....you know what opinions are like. Don't worry HR I don't think this will hurt Franks legacy to much. LOL

If Coach Beamer said it wasn't, that's good enough for me. * His proper title is Coach Beamer , Frank is only for Mrs.Coach Beamer to use. :D

Could be that the assistant who received it thought it would be a great idea to have the playbook. That he might be a hero or something for getting it. Then maybe he thought about it and maybe was afraid to give it to Frank or Bud for fear of getting in trouble. Maybe he decided to hide the thing and hope it never came up. Certainly it is all conjecture at this point and no point in really arm-chairing it any more until some more facts come out.

Coach Beamer is as clean as they come in the coaching world. Meanwhile, out in Louisville, well that's another story. It can never be proven , but the ACC fined VT to help cover all the _________ at Louisville.

Coach Beamer is as clean as they come in the coaching world. Meanwhile, out in Louisville, well that's another story. It can never be proven , but the ACC fined VT to help cover all the _________ at Louisville.
Sorry HR...ACC fined VT for being in the wrong.

Lucus,
Here you are wrong on this. First, it is immoral at the very least to take an opponent's game book.
You stated that spying or videotaping would be wrong yet you support receiving a playbook. Kind of walking a double standard there. And it was not the other team that gave this to our coach but the radio announcer. Big Difference..

I respect your opinion, but disagree. Here's the thing, VT did not "take"<----your word Wake Forest's game book, facebook, gameplan, whatever you want to call it. VT simply received it. It fell into the lap of VT. VT did not obtain a thought, initiate energy or physical or psychological work by stealing it, then returning it to Blacksburg. It was SENT to Blacksburg. I agree with your point about the announcer. That's a good point. My point would be stronger if it were one of their coaches that did it.

As for Foster being terminated? Come on dude. You have to have proportionality to the offense. That's not proportional. Terminated? Come on man. Suspended for one game? OK, probably over the top, but reasonable. I know Foster's mentality. He is the kind of guy that would be offended if you offered him a gamebook or plan or whatever. He's so determined and aggressive, yet call it confidence or narcissistic, he is the kind of guy that would want to literally fight you because he feels that you feel he is not good enough to beat you without having help. Foster is the last guy that would take something like that.

P.S. When it comes out, if it ever does, I will make my prediction after doing some research. I go with Searles. Searles and Elrod have spent lots of time in the Western Carolina region and over to Winston-Salem. They were not on staff at the same time, but they were in the same town or close when one played in college and one started out coaching. Research it. Research Western Carolina and App State. Lots of coaches meetings, summer camps for players, etc are held together. Both of them were in the mountains of North Carolina at the same time. Again, not on same staff, but being that close, there is no way they could not have known each other. I know, it's fashionable to think it was T. Grey, or Lefty, and possibly even Stiney<----I certainly do NOT think it was Stiney, but I think the culprit when it all comes out will be.......Searles.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Lucus,

Agree with you about the mentality of Foster which is why I believe he was not aware or involved. I believe that about Frank too. Just because I still believe his character would not allow that. I guess we will find out eventually. I won't argue your choice of Searles. I hope that this becomes a discussion point at VT concerning what to do or not do in the future. I really want to believe that VT runs a clean program and will avoid any situation that smacks of any possibility of wrong-doing.

Lucus,

Agree with you about the mentality of Foster which is why I believe he was not aware or involved. I believe that about Frank too. Just because I still believe his character would not allow that. I guess we will find out eventually. I won't argue your choice of Searles. I hope that this becomes a discussion point at VT concerning what to do or not do in the future. I really want to believe that VT runs a clean program and will avoid any situation that smacks of any possibility of wrong-doing.

You are spot on dude. I am the one who is 100 percent wrong this. The more I think about it, having an announcer give away a gameplan or gamebook is totally different than an assistant coach. No question, VT (whatever assistant that did it) would be wrong for accepting something from an announcer. I had it in my thick skull that it was a WF Assistant which would make it much different in my opinion. But no question, we are talking about an announcer or broadcaster. You are right. I am/was wrong on this. I think job termination might even be appropriate and I agree with you more on this point as well. Again, the fact that it was not a WF Assistant at the time, yet a broadcaster changes things for me.

It was Shane :( still 1 of my bburg kids "I did not share this information with anyone, including our student-athletes, anyone on the coaching staff, or my father, nor did we use the information in the game," Beamer said in a release. “I realize I made a serious mistake in judgment by accepting the information and failing to notify officials at Virginia Tech of the communications. I sincerely apologize to Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, the ACC and the University of Georgia for my mistake. I am truly sorry."

Last edited:
It was Shane :( still 1 of my bburg kids "I did not share this information with anyone, including our student-athletes, anyone on the coaching staff, or my father, nor did we use the information in the game," Beamer said in a release. “I realize I made a serious mistake in judgment by accepting the information and failing to notify officials at Virginia Tech of the communications. I sincerely apologize to Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, the ACC and the University of Georgia for my mistake. I am truly sorry."
Why take it if you are not going to use it....hate it was Shane for Franks sake but a stupid decision that will follow him.

Shane should not be fined or punished. Just more of covering for Louisville. Louisville was only school to use information provided by the WF rogue.

Well, my guess was Searles, but regardless of which offensive coach it was, it WAS an offensive coach like I said early on. Why? VT needs ZERO help on defense. Our offense was one of the nation's worst and the idiot from Wake Forest had to at least know that. He wasn't going to approach a VT Defensive Coach with his materials. He would give it to a VT coach on the offensive side of the ball. I again go back to how IGNORANT and 30 years behind our offensive system and coaching was COMPARED to the other FBS teams. Assume Shane Beamer didn't give it to anyone. He 100% for sure had to look through the information. If he was willing to skate the moral compass and find it inside himself to accept that "gift," then he certainly had the moral compass to at least look at the material. With that written, it shows again HOW STUPID our offensive coaches were to include Shane Beamer because if he had any offensive knowledge compared to his peers across the country, he could have at least helped our offense put up 10 points that day by at least influencing some of the offenses decisions that day. Why did that not happen? Because reading another FBS playbook was like reading a foreign language for Beamer, Lefty, Beamer Senior, Stiney, and any coach affiliated with our offense. I know, Shane wasn't the HC or OC. I get that, but his last name is still Beamer and he had enough power to influence Lefty on a few plays or formations....offensive decisions that game. Fact is.....he didn't know enough about offense in order to relate it to Lefty regarding the Wake Forest defense as it applied to our offense. Yes, I do truly believe that.

lucus , Shane Beamer said Elrod told him about a few plays the Deacons might run in the game . Plays are usually offensive. And I believe what was leaked to UL was new offensive wrinkles added to plays and formations. While Shane is guilty, I believe it's more not ratting out a friend . I don't think we will ever know exactly , this is just my take.

Last edited:
I am just glad JuFu decided not to retain him. As for Shane, he had a chance to look like a poster child for integrity if he had notified his boss and they had done the right thing. That was a mistake of a life time.

Someone, somewhere needs to take action against Elrod,other than just firing him. This guy should "pay the piper".

Feel bad for Shane. That was an error in judgement that will follow him for a long time. Really disappointing.

Are you really that naive? Where there's smoke there's fire.
Hoos,
I think that this will be a dead issue. Whether VT used the information or not may never be known at this point. We have someone who stepped up and admitted wrongdoing and said the information was not shared. Being that we lost the flipping game means that most will leave the issue as it stands. VT will pay the fine and that will be the end of it.

Hoos,
I think that this will be a dead issue. Whether VT used the information or not may never be known at this point. We have someone who stepped up and admitted wrongdoing and said the information was not shared. Being that we lost the flipping game means that most will leave the issue as it stands. VT will pay the fine and that will be the end of it.
I agree it will not hurt VT but it will follow Shane for a long time. I don't believe he stepped up and admitted anything. They had the phone records to prove his guilt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT