ADVERTISEMENT

Who's going to show up tonight?

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Our best players are great one night and flat on another night.

Is the flu bug going thru the team?

That's the luxury of having scoring depth. On a given night when some players are inconsistent offensively you have more who step up with an offensive game. Against Princeton our guards come out flat, but LeDay and Hudson go for 57 points. Enough to eek out a win on an off night.

This will be a tough test. It's a hard turnaround to play an OT game on Wednesday and then board the plane to go West for a high altitude game on BYU's home court tonight. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them flat tonight. I hope not, but it will take an epic game by our young Hokies to come out on top in this one.

Good season for the guys. Exceeded expectations for sure. The freshman had a good game overall, but those numerous mistakes there in the end by him were absolutely brutal. He'll learn from this and he'll have 3 more years to do some good things.

LeDay showed up but everyone else had jet-lag.

I like what Buzz has done with the team but we need more leadership on the floor during the game. The only time we seemed to know what we were doing was after a time out.

And it was no excuse for so many easy shots on in-bound plays for BYU.

Good season for the guys. Exceeded expectations for sure. The freshman had a good game overall, but those numerous mistakes there in the end by him were absolutely brutal. He'll learn from this and he'll have 3 more years to do some good things.
Agree. Blackshear's play was a big part of keeping us in the game. I can't remember when I've been able to say that about any of the Bigs we've had in years past. He looks very confident and talented when he's playing in the low post. He made freshman mistakes at critical moments tonight but he'll learn from those. He's been making big strides in his game all through this season and should continue to develop a lot more over the summer, and be ready to give us the most consistent post play we've had in a long time next season.

In my view losing Clarke to foul trouble was the difference tonight because he was dominating when he was in the game, BYU didn't have a match up for him at all. But because of foul trouble he only played 12 minutes - during which he had 7 rebounds, 2 steals, 2 assists, and 9 points. Its exciting to think how much he might improve between his freshman and sophomore seasons.

Reactions: salemfan32
Congrats on a really good year....VT exceeded my expectations and I bet they did most VT fans. The future looks bright if you can hang on to Curly.

Congrats on a really good year....VT exceeded my expectations and I bet they did most VT fans. The future looks bright if you can hang on to Curly.
Yep. I knew we had the elements to do it, and they reached the place I had hoped they could achieve by maturing in time to make it to the NIT. But we couldn't have realistically asked for any more this season. Next season the real competition between VT and UVA ramps up. VT finishing on a high note with everyone returning will be expected to mount a challenge for the top 4th of the ACC. UVA losing two very key players - but still has a lot of talent and recruiting well, I expect to remain in the top 4 hunt as well. Proven coaching staffs that get the most out of their resources in both programs. ACC basketball in the state of Virginia is getting real interesting now as we approach Buzz year III.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
Yep. I knew we had the elements to do it, and they reached the place I had hoped they could achieve by maturing in time to make it to the NIT. But we couldn't have realistically asked for any more this season. Next season the real competition between VT and UVA ramps up. VT finishing on a high note with everyone returning will be expected to mount a challenge for the top 4th of the ACC. UVA losing two very key players - but still has a lot of talent and recruiting well, I expect to remain in the top 4 hunt as well. Proven coaching staffs that get the most out of their resources in both programs. ACC basketball in the state of Virginia is getting real interesting now as we approach Buzz year III.

Should be an interesting year for Tech next season. I think you guys will certainly play at a higher level, although I don't necessarily think you'll be challenging for the top 4 just yet. Tech really overachieved this year and that is is fostering unrealistic expectations for next season. Tech might not finish as high next year in the ACC, but they'll be a better team. And that's most important.

Should be an interesting year for Tech next season. I think you guys will certainly play at a higher level, although I don't necessarily think you'll be challenging for the top 4 just yet. Tech really overachieved this year and that is is fostering unrealistic expectations for next season. Tech might not finish as high next year in the ACC, but they'll be a better team. And that's most important.
Most of the teams above us will lose some pretty significant pieces for next year. Even if VT isn't any better at all, we probably will still compete for a higher place in the standings just simply due to the rest of the league taking a small step back (or in Miami and Duke's cases, huge steps back).

I think the boo hoos will drop off.
Let me correct this for......."I hope UVA will drop off next season" ....everyone thought Hoos would fall without Atkins and Anderson but they had some players step up. They may fall off next year but have some good players red shirting and the Memphis transfer will be huge. And the recruiting class is a top 10 class, I would say the future is bright as long as TB doesn't leave.

We know who and what we have coming back next year. They aren't the product of anyone's inflated expectations, or in your case, biased deflated expectations. They are the product of their work. They are, at this point, exactly what their record says they are.

What you need to worry about isn't VT. UVA is playing well now, but the majority of the plays are being made by seniors.

Reactions: salemfan32
We know who and what we have coming back next year. They aren't the product of anyone's inflated expectations, or in your case, biased deflated expectations. They are the product of their work. They are, at this point, exactly what their record says they are.

What you need to worry about isn't VT. UVA is playing well now, but the majority of the plays are being made by seniors.
UVA will start out trying to mesh with a lot of different parts next year. Three major contributors with that much experience will be hard to replace and most of their experience is at guard, with the exception of Wilkins. They'll play better at the end of the year. I thought Tobey really contributed later in the season as well as Nolte, didn't know Gill played for SC as a freshman and must have gotten a lot of playing time there. The game against Syracuse seemed like Va. kind of ran out of gas and Devon Hall should NOT have taken that three pointer he jacked up near the end of the game. You see more and more "support" players taking unadvised shots at the end of games lately. Brogdon or Perrantes should have been the only ones with the green light the last few minutes, with Gill going to the basket if he gets loose in the lane. I would have bet on this game for Va if I was a gambling man and they had Syracuse set up for the kill near the eight minute mark. Incredible pressure on that group while Syracuse had nothing to lose.

Reactions: mrjolly01
Let me correct this for......."I hope UVA will drop off next season" ....everyone thought Hoos would fall without Atkins and Anderson but they had some players step up. They may fall off next year but have some good players red shirting and the Memphis transfer will be huge. And the recruiting class is a top 10 class, I would say the future is bright as long as TB doesn't leave.

Bennett ain't going nowhere. UVa will be dancing for a long long time. The problem is in bball, it takes a lot to win a nc. Being the best team in the nation just doesn't get it. You've got to be the best for 6 games in a row after the entire nation has played an entire season to improve, and with so many teams cheating in so many ways, that ain't easy.

Reactions: B1dee
UVA will start out trying to mesh with a lot of different parts next year. Three major contributors with that much experience will be hard to replace and most of their experience is at guard, with the exception of Wilkins. They'll play better at the end of the year. I thought Tobey really contributed later in the season as well as Nolte, didn't know Gill played for SC as a freshman and must have gotten a lot of playing time there. The game against Syracuse seemed like Va. kind of ran out of gas and Devon Hall should NOT have taken that three pointer he jacked up near the end of the game. You see more and more "support" players taking unadvised shots at the end of games lately. Brogdon or Perrantes should have been the only ones with the green light the last few minutes, with Gill going to the basket if he gets loose in the lane. I would have bet on this game for Va if I was a gambling man and they had Syracuse set up for the kill near the eight minute mark. Incredible pressure on that group while Syracuse had nothing to lose.
Good post. I think in the end that it was a combination of great coaching to go along with Syracuse's superior athleticism to close out that win. Totally agree with your comment about the Devon Hall shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT