ADVERTISEMENT

Why not put more shooters on the floor

HokieNation

Starter
Jun 19, 2003
Admittedly, I am not a basketball guru, but as I watch our basketball games I have to wonder why we are not putting more shooters on the floor. Specifically, I see Wilson in the game as a ball handler; however, everyone knows he can't shoot the ball. Because of this, opponents are playing off of him and are able to put more pressure on the other four players on the court.

Somebody with more basketball knowledge please explain this to me. I'll take the small reduction in ball handling for the increased ability to score.

I'm looking forward to next year, but also want to see more of a chance for a win this year as well.

We pretty much had all the shooters in the game tonight that we have to put out there, even when Wilson was playing. Mueller had zero points and 3 turnovers in 12 minutes, and Johnston hasn't hit shots since he got injured. Those are your only options for Wilson.

I know Buzz doesn't have the players in the program he wants but I don't know why he can't coach these boys to play defense.....NC St made 10 threes and shot many more and just about everyone was a wide open shot.

^You answered your second comment with your first comment.
This post was edited on 2/21 10:27 PM by mrjolly01

VT will be fine after Buzz brings in a couple recruiting classes. The guy knows how to coach...but he is playing short handed in arguably the best conference in college basketball.

Exactly Pack. Its bad enough that his team lacks the experience it does but to have no legitimate power forwards or center is like playing with one hand tied behind your back in this conference. Everybody knows Buzz can coach.

I didn't see the game but in general if a point guard can get the ball down the court without loosing it and start the offense by either: 1) penetrate to the basket and score or dish it off, or 2) just start some form of organized offense, and 3) reasonably guard the opposing team's player, that's a start..

If a point guard's sets up other players for many more shots that he/she turns the ball over with bad passes, and, scores a lot himself, then that's great.

On the team in general, I see a greatly stepped up Defense and at least great effort and hard work to get off a shot on Offense and I like what I see.

This post was edited on 2/22 9:11 AM by BigDaddyHokie

Many teams give up too many uncontested 3s. get out there and guard them. Nothing makes me madder than a 3 pointer uncontested.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

Many teams give up too many uncontested 3s. get out there and guard them. Nothing makes me madder than a 3 pointer uncontested.
I think the problem with your 3 point defense is your lack of bigs. Your guards are having to collapse in on D to help out in the paint. It leaves opposing players wide open behind the arc.

Originally posted by PACKed House:

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

I think the problem with your 3 point defense is your lack of bigs.
Yep. Any time you have to double team the post it's going to leave someone else open. Its a matter of choosing to give up an open 3 or an open layup. HR will probably not want to watch the Duke game tomorrow. With Okafor, who we probably can't even guard with two of our players, combined with Duke's 3 point shooters, that's a matchup that could get ugly real fast.

We probably beat Duke and then turn around and lose to UVA. I have seen such ocurrances happen in the past.

NCST was only 10 for 26 on 3s for 38% from behind the arc. Decent but not exactly an overwhelming percentage.

They shot 26 Three's......why, because they were mainly uncontested all night. VT plays hard for sure but just kept wondering the whole game why they just left them open all night. Once NC St got hot and hit a bunch in a row....game over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT