ADVERTISEMENT

Why would Mark Richt want to coach in Paris?

BigDaddyHokie

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2007
Beats me why anyone would want to coach at that school in that part of VA.

Not play a SEC team every week? Naa

Coach at a school where 9-2 or 8-3 is OK? Naa

Play in that beautiful stadium? Naa

Live in Albemarle County and commute thru that ugly countryside to work each day? Naa

Coach at one of the most prestigious academic schools in the ACC? Naa

I don't see anyone taking that job.

Reactions: B1dee and Hoos19NC
Since there will be so many openings this year (approx. 30), I'm guessing he'll pick somewhere else.

I make fun of them at times, but being the HC at UVa is probably more financially lucrative than being unemployed.

It would be an incredibly easy and well-paying job compared to UGa -- at least in terms of difficulty. UVa has no football tradition whatsoever, but a bottomless war chest thanks to being one of the premier "rich dickhead" schools. He could make a good amount of money, and not have to contend with national powers like Florida, LSU and Alabama every year. In the ACC he only has to deal with a few regional powers, and occasionally Clemson and FSU. He's already proven he can beat Clemson and compete with them at UGa. Also, it would be troubling for us recruiting-wise. Richt is a phenomenal recruiter and we are in desperate need of reclaiming the 757 and VA in general. This would be a very good hire for UVa if it happened, but I'm still doubtful that it does happen.

Reactions: vt1hokie and B1dee
As much as I would love to see Richt at UVA I just don't believe it happens. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about him going to Miami, I think he played at UM. I believe Rhule or Sanford are more likely but would love for it to be Richt.

Last edited:
He may have played for Miami but to someone like him that may not be the most desirable place to live. He will do well at either school but I think UVA is more appealing then the U, particularly at his age. Compared to UVA, UMD and Miami are kind of in turmoil a lot for this or that and their fan bases are no more into the sport than UVA.

Richt has already turned down the Boo Hoos once. He was their number one choice when George Welsh retired but decided to take the UGA job and they got stuck with the booby prize, Algore.

Richt has already turned down the Boo Hoos once. He was their number one choice when George Welsh retired but decided to take the UGA job and they got stuck with the booby prize, Algore.
Yes but he was a lotttttttttt younger then and his goqals may have been diferent.

Yes but he was a lotttttttttt younger then and his goals may have been different.

His goals are still higher than to coach at UVA. One's goals don't drop off that far even if it has been 15 years. The only way I see Richt accepting the job is if UVA offers him an obscene amount of money which they've never been known to do in regards to football coaches. The Boo Hoos have always been a cheap outfit.

His goals are still higher than to coach at UVA. One's goals don't drop off that far even if it has been 15 years. The only way I see Richt accepting the job is if UVA offers him an obscene amount of money which they've never been known to do in regards to football coaches. The Boo Hoos have always been a cheap outfit.[/QUOTL
Except London was being paid more than Beamer.

His goals are still higher than to coach at UVA. One's goals don't drop off that far even if it has been 15 years. The only way I see Richt accepting the job is if UVA offers him an obscene amount of money which they've never been known to do in regards to football coaches. The Boo Hoos have always been a cheap outfit.
Cheap????? I laughed....hell London made more than Beamer. Money is not an issue at UVA.

Ahh yes, I remember that...someone named Bud Foster was trying his damndest to get that UVa job at the same time.

I wonder if it ever dawned on any of UVa's admin from back then what total morons they are, or if ignorance is truly bliss?

Ahh yes, I remember that...someone named Bud Foster was trying his damndest to get that UVa job at the same time.

I wonder if it ever dawned on any of UVa's admin from back then what total morons they are, or if ignorance is truly bliss?
Bud....are you serious? The only big time DC that can't even get a head job at a school he carried for 25 years. He should have told Whitt where to stick it.

I hope he does not go to hooville, better there than Free Shoes U or unCheat. One big reason I could think of for him not wanting to go w hoos are the pitiful announcer prompts to cheer, chant for every, 'another first down' and of course the sappy auld lang syne sounding 'for gay ole uva' TD requirement. That is more embarrassing than the 'Hokie Pokie'!

I hope he does not go to hooville, better there than Free Shoes U or unCheat. One big reason I could think of for him not wanting to go w hoos are the pitiful announcer prompts to cheer, chant for every, 'another first down' and of course the sappy auld lang syne sounding 'for gay ole uva' TD requirement. That is more embarrassing than the 'Hokie Pokie'!
Nothing's more embarrassing than the Hokie Pokie. LOL

Problem with UVA football is they just realized its a men's sport and besides its really hard to be serious when you have to wear a tie with your pads. I can say this as my wife and brother went to UVA. I had a good Saturday for TWELVE years.

Problem with UVA football is they just realized its a men's sport and besides its really hard to be serious when you have to wear a tie with your pads. I can say this as my wife and brother went to UVA. I had a good Saturday for TWELVE years.
I feel your wife and brothers pain......married to a Hokie and all her family are Hokies.

Everyone in the Commonwealth of Virginia should be Hokies when it comes to football. Let UVA have their non revenue sports. ie tennis, scoccer, lacrosse, rowing, etc.

Reactions: B1dee
Bud....are you serious? The only big time DC that can't even get a head job at a school he carried for 25 years.
UVa's in a different position than everyone else regarding that because if Bud goes to UVa, he drastically changes both programs at once (UVa kills two birds with one stone). If anyone else hired Bud, it would've only affected VT.

Seriously, how many 10 win seasons does VT have in the 2000s without Bud calling the D? That's not implying that UVa would've had them instead, but the two programs would've been a lot closer together than what they ended up being with UVa mostly stumbling and bumbling around the entire decade.

What's funny about having UVA family members is they expect the hoo's to loose to tech and act as if normal.

UVa's in a different position than everyone else regarding that because if Bud goes to UVa, he drastically changes both programs at once (UVa kills two birds with one stone). If anyone else hired Bud, it would've only affected VT.

Seriously, how many 10 win seasons does VT have in the 2000s without Bud calling the D? That's not implying that UVa would've had them instead, but the two programs would've been a lot closer together than what they ended up being with UVa mostly stumbling and bumbling around the entire decade.
Would like Bud as my DC not my HC.

Sometimes goals don't change but over a 15 year period of being in the presser of UGA and the SEC I beg to disagree. You begin to see the world a little different.

Good post MM

Thanks leen....by the way I'm way too happy now that's this is over and we have a new coach. Sorry for being a pain everyone but I supported Beamer to the end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT