ADVERTISEMENT

Woody Baron, Mike Leach, "There will be no review"

lucustookis

All-American
Jul 7, 2007
1. Washington State has been under the radar. This is largely because they are West Coast, have not been very good historically, and of course, Mike Leach is their coach. Mike Leach is more of a conservative type of guy, more old school, more traditional, so you know what that means in the USA of 2016. This means, the media by in large, does not like him. With the above written, he has a very dangerous team and a solid offense. I think this is Washington's loss, if they have one. I think Washington wins the Pac 12 title and probably will win over Utah, maybe Colorado in the Pac 12 title game, but playing against Washington State in the regular season will not be easy. Is Mike Leach my national coach of the year? No. Is he a top 5 candidate in my opinion? Absolutely.

2. Woody Baron. You are 6"1, and 265. You were a 3 star and your only other major big program offer was Arizona State, Louisville, and Syracuse. You are no defensive lineman. You are to slow. You certainly are not fast enough or strong enough and can't play, or at least start for a major program like Virginia Tech. Well? Somebody forgot to tell Woody Baron that. He may be the player most responsible for allowing VT to play for an ACC Title, if we do win the last 2 in the ACC. The guy had ZERO business doing what he did to a 300+ pound offensive lineman today. He TOOK, absolutely, TOOK the momentum from Duke not one, not 2, but 3 different times when WR's for Duke were running wide open, but Baron beat his guy and got pressure. Hats off to Woody Baron. Somebody forgot to tell Woody that he and the rest of the Hokies were supposed to go on the road, show up emotionally not involved, and likely lose. Woody would not accept that fate. Hats off to WB who put up an incredible and absolutely foolish effort.

3. The announcers. Is it me, or is it true that whenever we have a game, it seems that most of the time (not all, but most) we have an announcer who is simply and obviously not a VT fan, or at least, much more emotionally involved with the "other" team? One example is when Ford caught a pass for about 19 yards with a pass interference called as well. One of the announcers seemed to lose it emotionally and he emphatically stated two times, "there is no review on that?" He was arguing as to whether Ford caught the ball, but there was still the pass interference call which was a difference of 4 yards anyway. You could see by this clear example that the underlying emotion of the one announcer showed that he was much more "emotionally invested" with Duke compared to VT. With that written, the other announcer seemed pretty dang fair and straight down the middle.

Conclusion: Hats off to Woody Baron. If we are fortunate enough to go to Florida for the ACC Title, send this guy a thank you note. This is a game VT is supposed to lose. Much like Syracuse, playing on the road, injuries, in conference and against an opponent who is sky high and going to give you its best shot, and on top of that, not a huge gap in talent between us and Duke by recruiting standards the last 4 years. Credit the coaches and players for winning an ugly game on the road. Finally, keep you eyes on Wash State. They lost the first two games of the season by a total of 6 points. One of those games they got outplayed. The other game, they should have won, but since then, have quietly ran off 7 straight victories. They are much like VT of the West Coast this year in that they are quietly, under the radar.......winning. Mike Leach is doing a solid job this year and if Washington does lose this year before the post season, that loss will come to Washington State.

The above are only my opinions.

Good post. Does anyone know why we allowed DUKE QB to run free down field all game. He would be past d line and LBs before anyone saw him.

Good post. Does anyone know why we allowed DUKE QB to run free down field all game. He would be past d line and LBs before anyone saw him.

Well HR6, I credit most of it to a couple of things.
1. We are playing on the road in the ACC against a well coached team, and we are coming off of two big games where we have had to emotionally be sky high in order for us to win them. We did just that, but what emotionally goes up must come down. Emotion is also not All or None. A team can be somewhat involved emotionally, but not completely. I think we were exactly that today regarding emotion. We were not flat, but not flying around like we were against Miami or Pitt.

2. Because of the above, talent levels come into play, and the opponents emotional intensity comes into play. Duke was sky high, and believe or not, the talent gap with us and Duke in recruiting is not great. See Rivals Rankings the past three years. We are more talented than Duke as we are Syracuse, but the gap is not great enough to simply show up and win like we could 5 years ago. Our DL is simply undersized. Edmund's out at LB is huge. Moto is OK if our DL is playing lights out, but when playing in games in which teams spread us out and create a game of "open space," he gets exposed. It's not his fault either. He just simply is no Adibi or Ben Taylor. I credit Baron. He went up against a 310 pounder all day and several times, he got pancacked and crushed, but the dude would get back up and beat his man about one in four or five times, and when he beat him, he beat his guy bad with tremendous pressure on the QB.

Overall, our talent is just not there. I wrote this a while back and will repeat it.......in the Coastal over the last 3-4 years, ......UNC, Miami, Pittsburgh, and UVA have out recruited us. GT and us are a toss up in recruiting, and we have only out recruited Duke by a small margin. I am telling you this...on paper, there are 4 teams in the Coastal more talented than us and another is about dead even in GT, and we are just a nudge ahead of Duke. This team has no business being in contention to play for an ACC title. I credit our coaching staff and senior leadership.
The recruiting will/is skyrocketing and the talent level will be near elite within 4-5 years if Fuente stays around.

Today, we played just good enough on both sides of the ball to win. We were not good or bad on either side. We were just kind of "there." Credit the O for not turning over. That speaks to mental toughness which is reflecting of coaching. Both have to play better because at the end of the day, the D did not look that good, but only gave up 21. Offensively, we kind of looked OK, but we only scored 17 pts on O.

Play calling looked out of wack most all game. Defense looked asleep on some plays. I Was expecting a 41-0 game.

1. Washington State has been under the radar. This is largely because they are West Coast, have not been very good historically, and of course, Mike Leach is their coach. Mike Leach is more of a conservative type of guy, more old school, more traditional, so you know what that means in the USA of 2016. This means, the media by in large, does not like him. With the above written, he has a very dangerous team and a solid offense. I think this is Washington's loss, if they have one. I think Washington wins the Pac 12 title and probably will win over Utah, maybe Colorado in the Pac 12 title game, but playing against Washington State in the regular season will not be easy. Is Mike Leach my national coach of the year? No. Is he a top 5 candidate in my opinion? Absolutely.

2. Woody Baron. You are 6"1, and 265. You were a 3 star and your only other major big program offer was Arizona State, Louisville, and Syracuse. You are no defensive lineman. You are to slow. You certainly are not fast enough or strong enough and can't play, or at least start for a major program like Virginia Tech. Well? Somebody forgot to tell Woody Baron that. He may be the player most responsible for allowing VT to play for an ACC Title, if we do win the last 2 in the ACC. The guy had ZERO business doing what he did to a 300+ pound offensive lineman today. He TOOK, absolutely, TOOK the momentum from Duke not one, not 2, but 3 different times when WR's for Duke were running wide open, but Baron beat his guy and got pressure. Hats off to Woody Baron. Somebody forgot to tell Woody that he and the rest of the Hokies were supposed to go on the road, show up emotionally not involved, and likely lose. Woody would not accept that fate. Hats off to WB who put up an incredible and absolutely foolish effort.

3. The announcers. Is it me, or is it true that whenever we have a game, it seems that most of the time (not all, but most) we have an announcer who is simply and obviously not a VT fan, or at least, much more emotionally involved with the "other" team? One example is when Ford caught a pass for about 19 yards with a pass interference called as well. One of the announcers seemed to lose it emotionally and he emphatically stated two times, "there is no review on that?" He was arguing as to whether Ford caught the ball, but there was still the pass interference call which was a difference of 4 yards anyway. You could see by this clear example that the underlying emotion of the one announcer showed that he was much more "emotionally invested" with Duke compared to VT. With that written, the other announcer seemed pretty dang fair and straight down the middle.

Conclusion: Hats off to Woody Baron. If we are fortunate enough to go to Florida for the ACC Title, send this guy a thank you note. This is a game VT is supposed to lose. Much like Syracuse, playing on the road, injuries, in conference and against an opponent who is sky high and going to give you its best shot, and on top of that, not a huge gap in talent between us and Duke by recruiting standards the last 4 years. Credit the coaches and players for winning an ugly game on the road. Finally, keep you eyes on Wash State. They lost the first two games of the season by a total of 6 points. One of those games they got outplayed. The other game, they should have won, but since then, have quietly ran off 7 straight victories. They are much like VT of the West Coast this year in that they are quietly, under the radar.......winning. Mike Leach is doing a solid job this year and if Washington does lose this year before the post season, that loss will come to Washington State.

The above are only my opinions.
Locust, could not agree with you more. Baron has not taken a down off and is one, if not the, most consistent Hokie this year. Play on, Woody, play on.

Now, about the announcers. I thought they were hardly able to contain their glee when Duke made a good play or we made a mistake. I can remember on instance where the play by play man even kind of went off the charts when the Duke QB made a good play, talking about how, if he could keep that up, they could beat VT. Granted, I'm looking at it through Maroon and Orange tinted glasses but, geez, they were just off the charts with some of the reactions. And, how many times did they talk about how many people were hurt for Duke and, if it weren't for that, etc, etc.? I'm sorry, but injuries are part of the game and the Duke QB wasn't exactly chopped liver in my book. I think they had 6 Juniors and Seniors starting on the O and about 8 on the D.I guess that's what happens when you get ranked. That being said, Duke played a great game and had a great scheme against us.

Now, this has been talked about before, we need more pressure on the QB. Seems like the more blitzes we dial up, the more success we have. With our scheme, we're going to give up some big plays anyway, might as well bring the pressure.

A good defense should blitz every play. Except in rare situations

I think a good defense with talent should blitz often. I think a defense with above average to good talent, (not excellent or very good by any stretch) should blitz very, very often unless you are playing completely wide open offenses like Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Washington, etc. The overwhelming amount of offenses we play in the ACC and on our schedule are not the type of wide open or high tempo offenses mentioned above. Because of this, I think this is definitely a year to blitz more and more. Also, considering our offense is better and night and day different/better than last year, we can at least afford (a little more) to give up the big play on one our blitzes. I write this because our defense is so undersized and under-depthed and now injured that we are having trouble stopping the opponents offenses from going on long-clock killing scoring drives UNLESS we gamble some, in the form of blitzes. I think Foster has done a solid job with this unit.

When comparing GT to VT this year and playing in the Burg, this is the type of game we need our offense to get hot on early. If the O can come out firing on all cylinders and not turn the ball over, and get 2-3 early touchdowns, it could cause major problems for GT playing in our building. They key to beating GT on most years is your defense and the discipline of your defense and equally important, the ability of your middle linebacker to chase the RB down laterally. This part worries me this year. This is why for this given year, I think the key to winning the game is our OFFENSE. We just need to put up 35. We are playing at home. Put up 35 on the Jackets and be done with it. GT may get 28 pts on us. I would not be surprised. Many of our games with this bunch have been low scoring. I think this one turns into a rather high scoring game. I'm going VT 42, GT, 31

Bud will shut down GT's run game and VT wins easily. Fuentes made his best coaching decision keeping Bud.....getting Evans to transfer to VT was his 2nd best coaching job. Without both of these guys VT is a .500 team at best.

Bud will shut down GT's run game and VT wins easily. Fuentes made his best coaching decision keeping Bud.....getting Evans to transfer to VT was his 2nd best coaching job. Without both of these guys VT is a .500 team at best.
I agree with you.

Im not sure what you mean by "conservative" but Leachs "Air Raid offense" was anything but conservative as he set offensive records at Valdosta State, Kentucky and Texas Tech and his coaching tree includes such pass happy offensive coaches as Art Briles, Dana Holgorsen, Kliff Kingsbury, Lincoln Riley and to some extent Kevin Sumlin. Pretty much all of those high scoring B12 offenses have Leachs fingerprint on them.

I like Leach and to be honest, agree with you on his coaching ability (his obsession with pirates seems a little weird though). I figured his lack of attention from the media come from his ordeal with the ESPN announcers son who he was accused of mistreating and his lawsuits which followed.

Our ends didn't play very well. We would cross key and the backers filled the wrong gaps, resulting in big holes for them to run through on their big plays. Our defense was not on the same page a lot of times, which worries me tremendously for the GT game.

Our secondary has been lost all year, really. I keep hoping the light bulb comes on for these guys, but we're running out of time.

Good posts Lucus.
I agree with you on just about everything you wrote and it shows a very good grasp of our team. The one big thing I believe has helped us other than our new coaches etc. is our QB. That kid is a gamer. Also we were pretty banged up going into the Duke game. Both of our DE's were way beow par physically and we held out one of our starting DT's. Our DL was not hitting on all eight.Our MLB played against a system that he really struggls with.
Dead nuts on the announcers. Been that way with those guys all year. Really irritating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT