ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Jovani Haskins Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Bergenfield (NJ) four-star tight end Jovani Haskins. This is the kid who I've said for a while is by far VT's best chance for a player from New Jersey.

Haskins visited Blacksburg July 25 for Beamer's BBQ and said he loved talking with assistant coach Cornell Brown, as well as sophomore tight end Bucky Hodges. Haskins really seems to have taken to Bucky, as he even tweeted photos of the two of them. For one, Bucky plays the same thing that Haskins does in high school and is also exactly what the Hokies would do with Haskins: a TE who also plays some H-back, splits out wide and runs deep patterns as well.

On his VT visit, Haskins said he went with his parents, broke down film and talked with Brown and others about he would fit in the offense. He also said his parents really liked VT.

The only other visit Haskins has made over the last few months was to Rutgers a few weeks ago. He toured campus and the facilities and overall, said he likes the proximity of it to where he lives. Haskins also said he feels like the staff takes care of its players.

Right now, the four schools at the top are VT, Rutgers, West Virginia and Miami. He also plans on taking official visits to all four. But as far as when he decides, he's not sure. I will say, one option that seems to be off the table now is playing with his cousin, Dwayne Haskins. Jovani made no mention of Dwayne or Maryland, for those curious.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Saturday's Scrimmage Open

Guys, VT spokesman Pete Moris said tonight that the Hokies' scrimmage this Saturday, at 3:15 pm at Lane Stadium, will be free and open to the public. It's expected to last until about 5:30 pm. No media opportunities will be available afterward, however, so I won't have any post game videos or anything.

But another chance for anyone to see the Hokies in fall camp.

***INsider: Madison Cone On Visit***

Guys, as I mentioned in the INsider yesterday, East Forsyth (NC) 2017 three-star cornerback Madison Cone visited VT for the scrimmage. Cone is the No. 24 player in North Carolina for 2017.

Cone has six offers, from VT, Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Old Dominion and East Carolina. But he said the first three are currently "standing out" the most at this point. Cone also visited Duke, Wake Forest and Tennessee over the summer.

This was the second visit to Blacksburg for Cone, who also visited last season for the Boston College game. Cone said he liked the practice was run and how focused everyone was. He also enjoyed seeing DBs Adonis Alexander and Mook Reynolds, who he knows well. Cone played little league football with Mook and played basketball against Alexander. Both talked to him about how much they love it at VT and certainly play a role in how Cone sees the Hokies.

Assistant coach Torrian Gray also seems to have a big role in what he thinks. Cone told me, "You won't find a better secondary coach." He said they talk at least every couple of weeks and Cone has loved watching the drills and other things Gray does. Cone said he's already taken what he's seen Gray do and use it himself.

Wake Forest will remain in the mix, because it's his hometown team. But even though it's only about 20 minutes away from his house, Cone said he hasn't taken an extensive visit in a few months, which should tell you something. With Duke, Cone really likes the academics and he has a lot of respect for the coaches there. Right now, this is the other main contender with VT, with Wake coming in third. But this one is far from over.

Cone has also been in touch with Tennessee, Clemson and North Carolina. He told me he'll be back at VT for the Ohio State game and has plans to visit Wake Oct. 3 for the Florida State game and Duke Oct. 31 for the Miami game.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***INsider: Media Day/VT Scrimmage***

Guys, just wanted to pass along a few notes from the day:

*Freshman DT Tim Settle says he's 349 pounds, 10 less than when he first arrived at VT. Weight has always been an issue, but since he's been on campus, the Hokies have been able to watch what he's eating, plus he's been busy working out and practicing. Settle still wants to drop more weight, to around 330 or so, but make no mistake, he isn't dropping a ton, just a more manageable spot. He also said he hopes to get some reps, but wouldn't mind redshirting if that's what the staff decides to do with him.

**The guy who's added weight is freshman QB Dwayne Lawson. Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler said he's gained about 30 pounds, to about 6'6" and 230 pounds now. Loeffler described Lawson as big, strong, fast, accurate and spins the ball well. It sounds like it's still 50/50 whether or not Lawson redshirts or plays some role this fall, but Loeffler definitely likes the development.

***So the injury report from earlier was a little off. Guys who the coaches said weren't gonna play, like running backs Trey Edmunds and Deshawn McClease, played, while still a good handful of others did not. The guys who were out were: DJ Reid, Kyle Chung, Wade Hansen, Dadi Nicolas, Corey Marshall, D'Andre Plantin, Marshawn Williams and Shai McKenzie.

****I'm becoming more and more convinced thatLawson will have a role this season. He is just too athletic and too quick. My guess is he would come in on wildcat formations over Brendan Motley because Lawson is also a threat to pass. Lawson is basically a Motley 2.0. This is one of those things that had I not seen today's scrimmage and seen for myself, I'd still say Lawson would redshirt. Now, I'm leaning towards 80/20 that he plays in some capacity.

*****One of the highlights for sure of the scrimmage was watching Settle make an interception off a tipped pass by Lawson at the line of scrimmage. Settle then rumbled about 10 yards before being called down and was mobbed by the entire defense. "Hey, you've gotta do something with a pick," Settle told a few of his teammates afterward. I still think Settle is more 50/50 on if he redshirts, but he moves better than anyone else you'll see that size. So if not this year, he probably starts next year.

******Just a few plays after Settle's interception, Donovan Riley made another impressive interception. A pass by Motley was thrown behind Deon Newsome. It hit Riley in the arm, caromed off of Newsome, then Riley intercepted it and returned the ball 15 yards. Very impressive pick.

*******To me, there's no doubt that Joey Slye will be the top kicker. Michael Santamaria has shown promise, but Slye has a boot. He nailed his first try, from 57 yards, that would have been good from another six or seven yards. Slye was 2-3 on field goals, while Santamaria was 1-3, missing from 47 and 54 yards, hitting from 32 yards.

********Linebacker
Deon Clarke started the scrimmage with two sacks of Motley and looked strong all day. But he got an earful after one play about two-thirds of the way through. Clarke came from the weakside and smacked the arm of QB Michael Brewer and hit him overall pretty hard on his throwing arm. Brewer got up and yelled at Clarke, then coach Frank Beamer chased Clarke and did the same. Clarke immediately was taken out of the game and I don't think he went back in.

*********The one big mistake the defense made on the day came relatively early on in the scrimmage. Not sure if it was an all-out blitz, but someone screwed up on their assignment. Brewer hit sophomore tight end Bucky Hodges over the left-middle of the field and he basically waltzed in, untouched for a 20-yard touchdown catch.

*********McClease looked impressive on a few runs about midway through the scrimmage. He made a nice juke on the left side of the field and picked up about 15-20 yards. He ran for another 10 on the following play.

I'll mention it on another thread, but a couple of recruits worth mentioning on hand, East Forsyth (NC) 2017 three-star cornerback Madison Cone, who has a VT offer and 2016 Magna Vista (Va.) QB Shaolin McGuire, who does not. McGuire is looking like a good candidate for a walk-on spot at this point. More coming from both players.

Reactions: HHKellyP

VT Injury Update

Guys, I've talked for the past week about how injuries haven't been bad. They still aren't, but some guys are nicked up now. Here's the rundown of guys who won't be participating in today's scrimmage and the type of injury they have keeping them out:

DE Dadi Nicolas -- left hand wrapped
DT Corey Marshall -- shoulder
DE Seth Dooley -- shoulder
RB Deshawn McClease -- shoulder
RB Trey Edmunds -- ankle

***INsider: Josh Paschal Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Good Counsel (Md.) 2017 four-star DE Josh Paschal, who visited VT with two of his teammates last weekend. Paschal is No. 220 in the current Rivals250 for 2017. The teammates he visited with are 2017 RB Mohammed Ibrahim, No. 228 in the Rivals250 and three-star linebacker Ayinde Eley, the only one of the three who currently has a Hokies offer.

The stop in Blacksburg was part of a four-day trip that also included West Virginia Friday, then Kentucky on Sunday. Paschal said he's been to Kentucky six or seven times with his older brother, TraVaughn Paschal, who just graduated from there. So that connection is certainly one to watch.

This was Paschal's first trip to Blacksburg. He said he liked the facilities and seeing campus, but the biggest plus here is that he hung out with and talked with freshman DE Darius Fullwood, his former teammate. Paschal said he's spoken a couple of times with assistant coach Zohn Burden, but hasn't gotten to know him that well yet. Fullwood is the main reason all three players from Good Counsel visited VT and is the reason the Hokies will stay in the picture.

With the Wildcats, obviously there's the connection for Paschal with his brother. But he also likes the upgrades to the stadium and the family environment. Pascal said he's also seen West Virginia now twice and liked how the whole area there is focused on football. He liked the same thing with VT and Blacksburg.

No visits are set for Pascal, who will likely take most of his visits with the same two teammates. He said he wants to see games at Kentucky and VT this fall, so my guess is he'll try to get to the Ohio State game. If that doesn't work, they'll be back. But it sounds like right now, the Wildcats are the early favorites.

New article on Grant Holloway (Including top 4)

http://www.scout.com/college/footba...1-4-star-wr-grant-holloway-trims-list-to-four

Grant Holloway is one of the top dual-sport athletes in the country. The Virginia wide receiver and track star spoke with Scout about the latest developments in his recruitment.

”I’ve narrowed my list to Georgia, Virginia Tech, Oregon and Florida,” Grant Holloway said. “Those are the schools that are the best fit for me academically and athletically. Georgia is definitely recruiting me the hardest.

”Right now, I have offers from bot Georgia and Virginia Tech for both track and football, and Oregon and Florida have offered in track. But think Oregon could also be close to offering in football. I definitely want to do both sports in college.”

Holloway gave quick thought on each.

Georgia: “I like the offense they run and their academic support staff,” he said. “I could really see myself going to Georgia and going to there and winning titles and getting a degree to set me up for life after football.”

Virginia Tech: “They also have a good academic support staff. And (tight ends) coach (Bryan) Stinespring and I have a really good relationship and I know he would always be there for me.”

Oregon: “When I went out there, I saw that they really take care of their athletes. I was just really impressed with everything I saw while I was there.”

Florida: “I know coach (Mike) Holloway, the head track coach, would definitely help me reach my full potential in track and they have a winning football program. They also have really good academics.”

What’s next for Holloway?

”I know I’m taking officials to Georgia and Florida, but I don’t know the dates yet,” he said. “Hopefully, I’ll be able to make my decision by October or November.

”I definitely want to go to a school where I can do both football and track. I also want to go somewhere that has a good academic staff and academic support.”

Jahque Alleyne On Arriving Late

Guys, I spoke with four-star safety Jahque Alleyne, who signed in February and will be arriving at VT today to start in fall camp. Alleyne was a late arrival because he had to finish an algebra class to meet the academic requirements.

I also asked him what number he would be wearing. He's always had No. 6 because when his favorite player was DeAnthony Thomas, who wore that number. Alleyne said he's talked to Mook Reynolds, who wears No. 6. Reynolds told him, "I've got that now" jokingly. So Alleyne isn't sure what number he'll wear. He even brought up No. 13, since that number is now vacated by CJ Reavis.

Alleyne full story: http://rvls.co/1MokXgF

NC State non-conference schedule

I know our board has a bit of a love affair with N.C. State..mostly due to our mutual hatred of that scumbag school in Chapel Hill and the great N.C. State posters on this board. Trust me, I appreciate you guys and have no ill will towards your school......BUT can we talk about the absolute embarrassment of their non-conference schedule this year? I honestly don't think I've ever seen a worse one. I'm only posting this because I'd love to hear from one of our NC State posters to explain why they are playing possibly the weakest OOC schedule in the country.

Here it is.

Troy
Eastern Kentucky (???)
ODU
South Alabama

This is so soft it shouldn't even be allowed. If you don't get 9-10 wins you shouldn't be bowling.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT