ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt Update

Guys, Charley Wiles and Bud Foster gave an update yesterday on who will and won't redshirt this fall. Here's the latest tally of the notable redshirts:

Offense:
OL: Austin Clark, D'Andre Plantin
TE: Chris Cunningham, Xavier Burke
RB: Deshawn McClease
RB/WR: Coleman Fox
DT: Tim Settle, Ricky Walker, Harry Lewis
DE: Darius Fullwood, Houshun Gaines, Trevon Hill
LB: Carson Lydon
DB: Jahque Alleyne, DuWayne Johnson

So it looks like the definites to play are Mook Reynolds, Adonis Alexander and Yosuah Nijman

The staff is still deciding whether or not to play Dwayne Lawson, Tremaine Edmunds and Tyrell Smith

Zack Gilbert

I don't see any conversation on here about him. So what it the general consensus in Hokie Nation about landing him? As a PITT fan, I love our rivalry and was just wondering. ALSO, I have family all over VA and I'm considering come to the game! By the way, I kinda want you to beat Ohio State for the sake of our conference! Thanks for the response!

Therran Coleman Update

From our friends at PantherLair.com, our Pittsburgh site, Brashear (Pa.) three-star CB Therran Coleman is planning on making a decision Sunday night on KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh. He has a top five of Pittsburgh, VT, Arizona State, Wisconsin and West Virginia.

Pitt is the odds on favorite here, followed by West Virginia and Wisconsin. I'll be shocked if he picks the Hokies. He cancelled his visit for Beamer's BBQ July 25 and never rescheduled. He had talked with assistant coach Torrian Gray about setting one up, possibly for Ohio State, but that never happened. My guess is Pitt, but we;ll see for sure Sunday night.

Here's the full story: http://rvls.co/1JzTbg8

***8.28 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, we're back at 12:30 pm ET for this week's chat, as we're a week and a half from the start of the season against Ohio State! Lots of news with the Hokies over the past few days, from Bud Foster, to redshirts and with recruiting, there's always plenty going on. Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and join us! If you can't make it, you can post questions on The Gobbler, email me directly or catch the replay. Hope to see many of you on the chat!

This week's chat link: http://bit.ly/1JlMif6

Johncarlo Valentin Interview

Guys, it looks like VT has dropped off with Imhotep Charter (Pa.) four-star OL Johncarlo Valentin. In June, after he visited for the Hokies' June 14 camp, he said he had a top five that included VT. But he backed off of that top five not long after and when asked by Adam Friedman which schools stood out, even as far as visits, he didn't mention the Hokies.

I know the VT staff still has interest and has been in contact, but not looking good right now after this interview by Friedman:

***INsider: Cameron Cloud Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Northwest Guilford (NC) 2019 RB Cameron Cloud. That's right, class of 2019, so he's only a freshman. His father has been giving me regular updates on him since the spring, but I wanted to at least wait until he played his first game of high school football to write anything on him.

But he's noteworthy for two reasons: He was offered by Elon last year and after he camped at Virginia in late June, he got an offer from the Hoos. The other significant thing is that in his first varsity football game last Friday, he ran for just over 100 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries.

Cloud and his family are very close to freshman CB Mook Reynolds and his family. That's actually how I got in touch with them. Cloud camped at VT July 26 and though he didn't get an offer, I think one will come soon enough. The coaches simply want to see him in at least a few games this season before offering, but he has a chance to be at a Ricky Slade level, with the fast start he's had.

It's still sooooooo early, he's just getting a feel for everything. So far, the two schools that have caught Cloud's attention are VT and Clemson. With the Hokies, he liked the atmosphere and the offense. With the Tigers, it's the family environment and the coaching staff.

This might be the first time you guys have heard of Cloud, but it won't be the last.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***INsider: Baseball Commit For VT***

Guys, I retweeted this earlier, but Cape Henry (Va.) class of 2018 shortstop Matt Ballance called me just a little while ago to say he's committed to the Hokies. He's their third commitment in the class, joining catcher Jonoven Savage and pitcher Alex Havlicek.

Coach Pat Mason has done a good job of getting early commitments. They might not stick, but it's easier getting guys to buy in early before they take off. All three have a ton of potential. Ballance's only other offer was from Liberty, but he'd gotten more and more interest from North Carolina, South Carolina and East Carolina.

Ballance said he liked a lot of things about VT, including the coaches, the atmosphere, the campus and the people. He is also good friends with freshman forward Chris Clarke, the four-star recruit from Cape Henry who signed with the Hokies in the spring.

Lots more coming on this, but we'll be doing more and more baseball recruiting for sure.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT