ADVERTISEMENT

Bibbs Selected For Team USA

Big news yesterday for VT. Sophomore guard Justin Bibbs was selected for the U19 Team USA, which is a huge honor. Here's the full release from VT. Thoughts?

"Virginia Tech men’s basketball player Justin Bibbs has been named to the 2015 USA Basketball FIBA U19 World Championship Team roster. The USA U19 squad will compete in the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship from June 27-July 5 in Heraklion, Crete, Greece.

Bibbs, a rising sophomore from Dayton, Ohio, was named to replace Isaiah Briscoe, who was forced to withdraw from the 12-member team after suffering a concussion during the USA’s Thursday morning practice in Colorado Springs, Colorado. The USA U19 World Championship Team training continues at the United States Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, through Saturday, June 20.

“I feel very bad for Isaiah. He had a tremendous attitude and was one of our overall best players and one of our leaders of the team,” said USA U19 head coach Sean Miller (Arizona). “It is very, very unfortunate to see him get injured in what was really a two-on-two drill. But the good news is I know he’ll recover and be fine; the bad news is he won’t be able to play on our team.

“However, trimming this team from 16 to 12 was very, very difficult because the four players that didn’t make the 12-man roster were excellent players in their own right. One of them is Justin Bibbs from Virginia Tech, who had a great freshman year. I think he brings a quickness and a veteran type of mindset that will really benefit us moving forward. And in our style of play where we are pressing and really pushing the ball he is a tremendous athlete, and I think he’ll really add a quality that we need, especially loosing Isaiah.”

The USA has captured a record five FIBA U19 World Championship gold medals and three silver medals in the 11 editions of the event, which first was held in 1979.

As defending U19 champions, the USA has an opportunity to win consecutive FIBA U19 World Championships for just the second time since the competition began in 1979. The United States captured back-to-back gold in 1979 and 1983, and since then, Yugoslavia (1987), Greece (1995), Spain (1999), Australia (2003), Serbia (2007) and Lithuania (2011) have won a single gold medal, with the USA also earning gold in 1991, 2009 and 2013.

For the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship, the USA has drawn preliminary round Group A and will play Iran on June 27, Croatia on June 28 and Egypt on June 30. Playing in preliminary round Group B will be Argentina, China, Spain and Turkey; Group C features Australia, Canada, Italy and Tunisia; and Group D includes Dominican Republic, Greece, Serbia and South Korea.

All 16 teams advance to the round of 16 that will be played on July 1. The winners advance to the medal-round quarterfinals on July 3, while the round of 16 losers will compete out for 9th-16th places. The semifinals are on July 4, and the finals are on July 5.

Members of past USA U19 teams have included standouts such as: Stacey Augmon (1987); Vin Baker (1991); Vince Carter (1995); Nick Collison (1999); Stephen Curry (2007); Eric Floyd (1979); Aaron Gordon (2013 MVP); Tim Hardaway Jr. (2011); Montrezl Harrell (2013); Gordon Hayward (2009); Larry Johnson (1987); Jeremy Lamb (2011); Stephon Marbury (1995); Doug McDermott (2011); Jahlil Okafor (2013); Gary Payton (1987); Sam Perkins (1979); J.J. Redick (2003); Marcus Smart (2013); Klay Thompson (2009); Deron Williams (2003); Justise Winslow (2013); and James Worthy (1979)."

Tim Settle Update

Guys, I continue to be asked about him probably more than any other topic with the Hokies. As I've posted on here, Settle took his ACT last weekend and the SAT June 6. Next week is when he'll likely get at least the SAT results back. He's VERY confident that he'll meet the requirements to get in to VT, but it's still not a definite. He told me "I know I'll tweet it out when I get in, I'm gonna be so happy."

It's still very close. If he doesn't get it, he'll go to Fork Union for the fall and be at VT in January. Settle is a very strong Hokies lean and it's hard for me to see him go anywhere else, even if he has to prep. Stay tuned...

***INsider: NBPA Top 100 Camp Day Two***

Guys, just back in the hotel after today's camp. Kelly was also on hand and will add more, but here's some tidbits from today:

*First off, one of the biggest parts of my day wasn't even at the NBPA camp. Each year, ScoutsFocus runs a camp simultaneous to the NBPA camp. And honestly, there's always one or two guys worth watching and usually not much else outside of that. The big guy as far as VT is concerned is Blue Ridge (Va.) 2017 forward Aamir Simms, who I saw in October at the Vantage Hoops Classic in Roanoke. Simms has filled out a lot more since then and picked up an offer from the Hokies Monday while on a visit. He told me he loved the visit and he was even texting this morning with the staff. Assistant coach Isaac Chew offered and the relationship there is strong. Simms also has a strong affinity for coach Buzz Williams. I only saw Simms play briefly, but he looked solid. He also didn't have a lot of competition. Simms now has four offers, from VT, Old Dominion, Hofstra and Richmond, but my VT staff sources have told me, "He's a priority" in the 2017 class. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

**I spoke to 2017 five-star guard Matt Coleman from Maury (Va.), who looks impressive every time he takes the floor. He does a great job running the show and directing. He can also get to the rim and isn't afraid to bang for a rebound with the bigger guys. VT is in contention, but honestly, I think if he decides to stay in state, he'll go to Virginia. His mom is a UVA alum and he said he didn't necessarily grow up a fan, but he's been around UVA a lot. VT has stayed in touch and he even visited for a game. But the game he was in Blacksburg for was the UVA game. North Carolina also had a great shot, but he seems to have backed off some with the uncertainty around the program. Old Dominion was first to offer, but UVA was second and that adds to it.

***VT also hanging around with 2017 four-star point guard Trae Young, from Oklahoma. He mentioned being open and liking Buzz Williams, but he didn't go into a ton of detail on the Hokies, other than seeing he's "been in contact." He and Michael Porter, No. 2 in the Rivals150, have discussed playing together and that's very much an option. Duke seems to be one that's caught his attention and he's visiting there coming up. Young also likes North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA and Arizona. So Hokies have tons of work to do and this one is already looking like a long shot.

****Cross Deshawn Corprew off the list for VT. The Hokies have been looking at him more as a backup option down the line, but he doesn't seem like he's waiting around much. Corprew has looked solid all week and will likely be in the next Rivals150 update, but he isn't mentioning VT much, if at all. He just visited Arkansas-Little Rock and said he's looking mostly at Cincinnati, Kansas State, Florida State and Texas.

I'll be back at the camp tomorrow morning before our chat, then heading off to Eric Kumah's announcement for full coverage.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription

Pass virtually ignored....

Not quite sure what was going on but Pass was basically ignored all day until the end when TG came talked to him as everyone was leaving the field to go home. Brian or anyone have any idea why this happened? I know we have Josh Jackson and Lawson is totally legit but this is a QB with unreal offers and plays big time football in a big time football state. Whats the deal?
Reactions: DEXTERITY

Corey Sutton On VT, Recruitment

Full story/video with three-star WR Corey Sutton after VT's camp Saturday. He wants an offer BAD. Sutton visited for the first scrimmage in the spring, the spring game and then camped over the weekend. Very doubtful he'll get an offer, but he's one they're keeping in the wings, just in case something happens with the guys in front of him: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1775573

***INsider: NBPA Top 100 Camp Notes***

Guys, in between game sessions here at John Paul Jones Arena at UVA. Lots of guys here with VT offers and guys that the Hokies are looking at. Here's a few quick notes.

*Guard Markelle Fultz, No. 24 in the Rivals150, is really the VT target here to watch all week. Starting to really blow up a little bit, but the Hokies have been in on him for months now. And more importantly, Fultz is still interested enough that he took an unofficial visit to VT on Monday. Fultz said he loved that visit and hanging out with the coaches. He told me that his mom's opinion is very important to him and that coach Buzz Williams has developed a great relationship with not only Fultz, but his mom. You can tell that Fultz is hoping and waiting for more big offers, like Kentucky and North Carolina. Right now, Louisville seems to be the one that really is jumping out to him, though he claims no favorites. As it stands right now, I think VT has an excellent shot at him. But if the big boys come in, this one could really get away from the Hokies.

**The guy I really liked in the first session was Maury (Va.) 2017 five-star guard Matt Coleman. He had some great moves and took control of the floor when he was out there. Another one who has good VT interest right now, but who is close to perhaps being out of reach for the Hokies.

***The guy who really got everyone talking from the opening round, though, is 2016 center Jethro Tshishumpa. That guy is a man among boys, at 6'10" and 250 pounds, but still relatively unknown. Mostly, that's because he plays at tiny Mountain Mission (Va.), though he's originally from Texas. VT knows about him well. And while he has just one offer, that won't stay that way long. He took over in the paint, at one point getting three blocks in a row, over two straight possessions. Keep an eye on this kid, especially since he's playing in-state.

****Cross Vermont Academy four-star guard Bruce Brown off the Hokies' list. Williams has been up to see him play a few times, but he's moved on. Only visit he has set right now is to Arizona, though he said Indiana, Texas and Michigan are the ones making him feel most like a priority. When I asked him if he had any VT interest, he closed his eyes and silently said, "no."

I'll have more updates coming later tonight after the second set of games, but will continue to keep you guys updated all weekend.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription

***6.19 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, I'm in Charlottesville for the Top 100 camp and I'll also be here for this week's INsider chat, at our usual time of 12:30 pm ET. VT also has another football camp this weekend. I've been asked not to mention it much, but we'll touch base on that as well. Come get answers to all your Hokies questions and come get the very most out of your subscriptions by joining us!

And a reminder, if you can't make the chat, you can always replay it, make a post here on The Gobbler or email me anything you need.

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1GuSban

New Basketball Offers

Guys, busy last couple of days for VT basketball. Yesterday, Markelle Fultz, No. 24 in the Rivals150, visited. Today, Simms visited, while George Wythe (Va.) 2017 guard Maliek White and Millwood (Va.) 2017 guard Jordan Cross also visited. The latter two did not receive offers. Below are the new offers:

Aamir Simms, forward, Blue Ridge (Va.), 2017
Royce Hamm, forward, Aldine Davis (TX), 2017, three stars
Daniel Gafford, center, El Dorado (Ark), 2017, three stars

I'm not as familiar with the other two, but I've seen Simms live a couple of times, including camp last year in Roanoke. I'll see him again this week at the ScoutsFocus camp, coinciding with the NBAPA Top 100 camp, both in Charlottesville.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT