ADVERTISEMENT

***Josh Jackson Before Announcing***

At 11:30 AM ET tomorrow, Saline (Mich.) three-star quarterback Joshua Jackson will be making his commitment. And right now, the Hokies are in excellent shape.
Login to view embedded media Jackson has been a topic for a lot of VT boards over the past week or so, but as you've known from our INsider posts, the Hokies have been the team to beat. He told me he has a top four of VT, Northwestern, Minnesota and West Virginia, but it'll basically be between the first two.

Jackson took just two visits this year, to Northwestern in February and VT last weekend. With that visit, Jackson said he loved talking to offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler, whom he's known nearly all his life (Loeffler and Jackson's dad, Fred Jackson, coached at Michigan). He also loved the food at VT and the facilities. He told me he was even impressed by Rector Fieldhouse.

I spoke with our midwest analyst, Josh Helmholdt, earlier who told me he believes it's 98% for VT right now. And I have to agree. Jackson wouldn't give anything away to me when we talked earlier, but said he already called the coach at the school he'll be choosing to commit. So it's already set, though we'll have to wait until tomorrow to make absolutely sure.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

More Offers Going Out

Honestly, trying to catch up on some of these. Usually, VT has waited until after the first camp to send out offers, but this is another way of showing the difference the Hokies are making in recruiting. The one surprise is Pine, who has visited multiple times, including the spring game. Thought an offer would have gone his long before now.

DE Jimmie Taylor, Southwest-Onslow (NC), three stars, No. 27 WDE -- Wiles
OG Tremayne Anchrum, McEachern (Ga.), three stars, No. 27 OG -- Searels
LB Chase Pine, Lafayette (Va.), three stars, No. 61 OLB -- Brown
TE Christian Roberson, McEachern (Ga.), three stars, No. 59 in GA -- Gray
TE Miller Forristall, Cartersville (Ga.), three stars -- Searels

New WR Offer

Guys, I retweeted last night and posted on another thread, but if you missed it, VT offered four-star WR Rick Wells last night, while he and a group of recruits were visiting. Wells is committed to Florida, but is obviously a bit open, so one to watch here.
Login to view embedded media The Hokies also offered another big receiver committed elsewhere, as 2017 Rivals100 WR DJ Matthews also visited and was offered. He's committed to Florida State.
Login to view embedded media
Reactions: GC1

***INsider: Notes From Rivals Five-Star Weekend***

Guys, Kelly and I are hunkered down in the lobby of our hotel right now before making the trek back to V-A. She'll add some more notes as well, but wanted to pass along a few tidbits now that the weekend is over.

The big news happened earlier this morning. Not sure if it's really out there much (I noticed he hasn't tweeted), but Indian River (Va.) LB Jaquan Yulee told us his top two are Alabama and Virginia Tech. He's making his announcement on Monday at his school. I know he tweeted out he's gonna "shock the world", but I'll still be surprised if he doesn't pick the Tide. The Hokies have done a very impressive job of staying in this one until the very end. Over the past few months, I've been saying Alabama is everything but a sure bet for his commitment. But Virginia Tech has made this interesting. He was actually probably more pro VT this weekend than when I've talked to him before. Odds are still overwhelmingly for Alabama, but we'll see.
Login to view embedded media "
I'll start more recently here, since we just finished up the Quarterback Challenge today, but there's been some chatter with Spring Hill (Tenn.) four-star QB Tylin Oden and Virginia Tech. Oden committed to Louisville last month. He told me that offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler has been in contact with him multiple times over the past few weeks. Oden through a very good ball today and while he's skinny as a rail, he has a good frame and has a strong arm. But Oden told me that he has no plans to visit Blacksburg and considers himself solid with the Cardinals. I'd still at least keep an eye out here, though.

The other QB we watched was Oscar Smith (Va.) three-star Shon Mitchell. He had an extremely strong showing at our Atlanta camp to earn an invitation to the Rivals Quarterback Challenge. And while he looked ok yesterday, he struggled quite a bit today. He has flashes, but when he's off, he's really off. And today, he was really off, finishing with a negative score (based on hitting target, close to target and negatives for bad misses). VT offered last fall and the only other offers came just recently from Wake Forest and Charlotte. Good basis here, though and you can tell he'll grow plenty more. He likes the Hokies most right now, though a lot can happen in the next year, when he likely decides.

VT has made HUGE strides in Pennsylvania and more than I realized until I got to Baltimore. Rivals100 RB Miles Sanders, who committed to Penn State last summer, said he'll most likely take official visits to Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech this fall. He still made it very clear that he's committed to the Nittany Lions. And it sounds like the Panthers have the edge if he were to decommit. But with Sanders liking the Hokies and not visiting yet, that's huge. You never know, if he does visit.

The other guy I hadn't heard mentioned with VT much is 2017 four-star DB Lamont Wade. He has a very strong interest in the Hokies and says he's visiting soon, though no visit is set yet. He won't camp this summer, but could visit for the camp in July. Ohio State and Pittsburgh look like the favorites here, but assistant coach Torrian Gray is really keeping his interest and if he visits, the chances should go up. Penn State and West Virginia are also worth watching here.

Finally, the other guy to really take note of is American Heritage (Fla.) WR Dredrick Snelson. A one-time Miami commit, Snelson keeps saying he's opened things up and now has a top five of Miami, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Florida State, and UCF. But honestly, Snelson has been all over the place. There's been mention of a lot of other schools, like Notre Dame, Ohio State and others, so it's tough to cut through what's legit and not in some ways. The Hokies are hanging around as a darkhorse for sure. But right now, it's not clear if he'll even visit or not.

LOTS more updates coming, including stories and video as Kelly interviewed just about every VT target present this weekend.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Mr. Number One

The top recruit in the country right now is Dexter Lawrence. I had an opportunity to interview him; he was so nice and seemed very humble and grateful to be number one. That interview will be posted soon.

At the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour, he has been a shining star so far. He is performing extremely well, bringing his A-game. Jason will have footage and photos to come!

I think he could hold on to the number one ranking, but I wanted to get y'alls opinion. Who do you think could take over his spot? Do you think Virginia Tech has a chance? Let me know what you're thinking! :)

Writer on Bleacher Report predicts 10 win season for VT

I say no way possible if our much-improved O stays predictable.

I don't care how well our Oline is playing, if we always run on 1st & 2nd down, then throw on 3rd, the D knows when to send more bodies than we can block.

And, except for rare occasions, I didn't see a 3rd down play call, like a screen pass, or a draw play, to counter the rush on 3rd.

The only game I can recall when we were predictable and won, was the OSU game last year we pulled out on all those 3rd and longs with super plays.

Just saying.
Reactions: lucustookis

ESPY boycott

The just announced winner, Jenner, is indicative of an abject failure of society and redefinition of English terms. Courage is when our brave solders barge into buildings in foreign lands rooting out delusional psycopaths trying to kill them in the name of some pathetic idea of god. Courage is defined daily by our uniformed police officers patroling hostile inner cities and maintaining good order and safety for ALL citizens - but especially the disadvantaged poor who have no one on their side lending protection. Courage overflowed in Lauren Hill who though battling terminal cancer, raised over $1M for research to help those other than herself.
So Jenner, the narcissistic sociopath gets this year's award - how sweet and fitting.
Reactions: soboomer and BobJ

NBA Finals

So even though Seth blew it and Weaver was horrendous, I am rooting for Golden State. I remember when they didn't offer Stephen. NEVER thought he would be MVP but VT has always been family. Despite past mistakes, a Curry is still one of us. I wanted him to be a Hokie way back when. Water under a bad bridge.

Best of luck to the Curry fam. Go Hokies!

Contest #4 June 5th

• This contest is for 1 pt in the grand prize running.
  • Open to all rivals posters with a minimum of 50 forum comments.
  • Contest will continue daily until an entry is deemed correct.
  • ONE entry per post. Multiple guesses in the same post will disqualify the post.
  • First poster to comment with the correct answer in an unedited post will win.
  • Right is reserved to add, edit, delete or modify rules at any time in the interest of fairness and contest integrity.
  • When you enter any contest you'll receive a passcode with which you can view the grand prize scoreboard and previous contest winners here--> SCOREBOARD

ECU is restoring Blackbeard's ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge found in 1996 where it sunk off the coast of Beaufort, NC in 1718. The ship was originally an English frigate captured by UVA (the french) and then captured again by the pirate Captain Ben Hornigold. Captain Ben gave her to Blackbeard and he upgraded her with a lot of firepower to pillage the seas. How many cannons did she display?

This contest is for 1 pt toward the 10 pt grand prize of $25 cash. To receive any cash prize including the grand prize, you must have a paypal account. Paypal accounts are free and it's quick and easy to sign up for one.

This thread is for contest posts only until contest ends. If you have a comment, please add it in your contest post. Comments lacking legitimate contest entries will be deleted. (so that all entries are grouped together at end of contest)

If you have questions, email or message Sunny. Good luck and may Babcock be with you.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT