ADVERTISEMENT

***Location VT: Atlantic East***

Continuing our breakdowns of the recruiting area for the Hokies. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Most Recent Offers:
OL Noah DeHond (transferred to Peddie School, NJ), three stars -- Searels
WR Tarik Black, Cheshire Academy (Conn.), four stars, Rivals100 to watch for 2017 -- Stinespring
LB Avery Roberts, Concord (Del.), four stars (2017) -- Brown

Top targets:
OL Lucas Niang, New Canaan (Conn.), three stars, No. 57 OT, No. 4 in CT -- Searels
OL Malcolm Pridgeon, Nassau CC (NY) -- Searels
OL Charles Baldwin, ASA College (NY) -- Searels
WR Tarik Black, Cheshire Academy (Conn.), four stars, Rivals100 to watch for 2017 -- Stinespring

Recent Rivals Stories On VT FL Targets:
DeHond from PantherLair.com, May 28: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769782
DeHond from BadgerBlitz.com, May 26: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769380
Pridgeon from HuskerOnline.com, May 20: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1767810
Niang from ScarletNation.com, April 29: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1761964
Baldwin from TideSports.com, April 28: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1761325

Overview:
There's not a ton of talent in the northeast, but for the talent there, the Hokies are keeping a presence. And all of the top targets are on the offensive line. At the top of the list is Niang. He's yet to visit, but assistant coach Stacy Searels has visited this spring and remains in touch. He's made a few visits this spring, including Rutgers and UCONN, but has been very quiet for the most part about his recruitment. There are a few others ahead of him on VT's board, but it's likely the Hokies would accept a commitment if he wanted to. Niang appears open, though and while he wants to take more visits, hasn't given any details on any definites.

The other two to watch are Pridgeon and Baldwin. Searels visited both this spring and both have conveyed their interest in VT, even though they haven't mentioned publicly. Baldwin had a top two of Alabama and Ole Miss in April and is following up by visiting the Tide today. Michigan State and Oklahoma are also in good position, so the odds look slim for the Hokies. With Pridgeon, offers continue to come in, including from Baylor on Monday and Kentucky a few weeks ago. Still no luck on getting either to visit and while Pridgeon is still a bit more open, they'll have to visit for VT to have any chance.

We've included DeHond on this list because he transferred to Peddie School (NJ) after our New Jersey update. It's still very early there, but Searels did visit him last month. DeHond just visited Pittsburgh, his most recent offer, along with Alabama and Wisconsin. Yet another prospect who hasn't visited Blacksburg and will need to for the Hokies to be legitimate contenders.

For 2017, VT has offers to two big-timers in Black and Roberts. Black will be one of the top receivers in the class and has been a bit quiet of late, but is still very much open, as is Roberts. But Roberts has been a bit more active with visits, to Nebraska, South Carolina and Rutgers this spring.

The one to watch who hasn't been offered yet is Andover (Mass.) three-star tight end Alex Marshall. He was already one of the top players in the region, but has reclassified to the 2017 class and could now really see his recruitment take off. Assistant coach Bryan Stinespring visited a few weeks ago at the end of the spring evaluation period, just before he reclassed. The Hokies are definitely keeping an eye on him.

Rivals national team analysis:
"Virginia Tech has made some strides in the New England area, but there aren't a lot of prospects up there that deserve a lot of attention. The big one that Virginia Tech is on right now is Lucas Niang. He's got a long offer sheet and looks like he might even be a little bit underrated. His offer sheet includes Auburn and TCU, but Virginia Tech has been touch. It's difficult for Niang to get out on the road a lot because he's so far away from schools. We'll see him take visits this off-season, but he's the big one for 2016.

Noah DeHond is an offensive lineman from New York, who has transferred to Peddie School in New Jersey. He has a Virginia Tech offer, but his offer sheet looks like it will be growing pretty quickly. Alabama is one of his most recent offers and there are a slew of others interested. He's also reclassified to 2017, so that should help his recruitment more.

Also in 2017, Tarik Black is a big-time player in the Rivals100. He's going to have a long offer sheet and already does. Look for him to get out on the road and take a lot of visits. He had a great camp at our New Jersey Rivals Camp, one of the top wide receivers, when there was a deep group there.

There's a few others in the Brooklyn area, like Romello Martin, a defensive lineman from Lincoln in 2017. He'll get a lot of interest and be a national guy. In 2018, there's a big-time guy at Erasmus Hall (NY), Matthew Jones. He'll be a national guy and Virginia Tech has stopped in to see him at his school. They've got some eyeballs on him, some good reviews from the coaching staff and his film is good for a freshman. So look for Virginia Tech to offer. Alex Marshall will also benefit from his extra year and will be one of the best tight ends in the 2017 class. We just need to see how he develops."

-- Rivals.com Mid-Atlantic analyst Adam Friedman

Social Media:
Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media

Board Of Visitors Presentation

This link was passed on to me, but thought you all might want to see it as well. Full presentation Whit Babcock and members of the VT athletics Dept gave to the Board of Visitors yesterday in pdf form:

http://www.bov.vt.edu/documents/Ope...airs_and_Athletics_open_session_materials.pdf

This was also presented to the BOV by Tim Sands on Sunday: http://www.bov.vt.edu/documents/Open_Session_Materials/Information_Session_materials.pdf
Reactions: DEXTERITY

***INsider: Breein Tyree Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with St. Joseph's (NJ) three-star guard Breein Tyree, who has had a VT offer since last summer. Overall, he now has 15 offers. He said he can't keep up with most of them, but the ones he rattled off were USC, Kansas State, Northwestern, Penn State, Iowa State, Creighton, St Joe’s, LaSalle and Virginia Tech.

Tyree said he still receives a lot of letters from the Hokies, but hasn't actually spoken to anyone for a while. He still has interest and said he hopes to get back in touch with them soon. He's spoken to assistants Isaac Chew and Jamie McNeillly, but it's been a few months. So Tyree said he's not sure where he stands.

But even if VT does get back into it, the school they're gonna have to beat out is USC. He told me multiple coaches visited him in school and he appreciates that they flew across the country to see him. Tyree is headed out to Los Angeles for another visit June 20. The school behind the Trojans right now is Kansas State, where he plans on visiting this fall.

I'll see Tyree in a few weeks at the NBAPA Top 100 camp and it sounds like VT will get back in touch soon. But it also sounds like they've moved on to others, especially since Tyree is favoring USC so much.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

BALTIMORE!

Just a heads up that Kelly and I made it to Baltimore for the Rivals Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour. Media day kicks off Friday but we'll be meeting with other members of the Rivals team tomorrow for our annual conference.

TONS of coverage on the Challenge coming!

***INsider: Robert Beal Latest***

Guys, I spoke a little while ago with Norcross (Ga.) 2017 four-star linebacker Robert Beal, whom VT offered early last month. Beal said he now has 20 offers, with only Pittsburgh offering since the Hokies.

Still early here, as Beal said the only three schools he's visited so far have been Notre Dame, Florida State and Georgia. He told me the latter two stand out a bit now, but "because I've been there." With the Noles and Bulldogs, Beal said he liked the coaches and the academics.

Assistant coach Stacy Searels is the one recruiting Beal for the Hokies and who made the offer. Beal said Searels visited him during the open period, but basically the two have just been introduced, because of NCAA rules. Still, Beal said he is interested.

But VT will have to catch up to FSU and Georgia, especially the latter, right now. Beal is actually visiting Georgia on Wednesday and North Carolina Saturday. He said he's also working on plans to visit Clemson, but that's all for now. The Hokies are trying to get him up to camp this summer, in July and that would give us a much better indication of if VT will be a player here. But again, still early.

***6.5 VT INsider Chat Details***

Kelly and I are in Baltimore and at 12:30 pm Friday, we'll get you ready for the Rivals Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour. Media day is Friday, while the camp gets going on Saturday. But as always, we'll answer any questions with VT recruiting, basketball, football and anything else Hokies. Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and join us for the chat!

And if you can't make the chat, don't worry. The chat is the best way to get real-time answers, but you can always post something on The Gobbler or email me directly at jason.stamm@rocketmail.com.

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1H22HI1
Reactions: hokiedent

4-star SF Jonathan Isaac

IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla) Class of 2016 small forward Jonathan Isaac is cutting his list to twelve schools later today. Isaac was tight lipped about the list Tuesday night, in fact I don't think even he knows all twelve that will make his list. He's just feeling overwhelmed by the process while simultaneously feeling blessed to have the offers that he has received.

Head Coach Buzz Williams and assistant coach Steve Roccaforte have been actively recruiting Isaac.

Login to view embedded media
Login to view embedded media
Reactions: jason stamm

***Location VT: Florida***

Continuing our breakdowns of the recruiting area for the Hokies. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

Most Recent Offers:
OL Stewart Reese, Fort Pierce Central (Fla.), four stars, No. 22 OT, No. 35 in Fla -- Searels
WR Daquon Green, Tampa Bay Tech (Fla.) (2017) -- Gray
QB Joey Gatewood, Bartram Trail (Fla.) (2018) -- Loeffler

Top targets:
WR Dredrick Snelson, American Heritage (Fla.), No. 123 in Rivals250 -- Wiles
DE Pat Bethel, Vero Beach (Fla.), four stars, No. 23 SDE, No. 30 in Fla -- Wiles
RB Jalin Buie, Trinity Christian (Fla.), No. 8 APB, No. 53 in Fla -- Wiles
QB Rex Culpepper, Plant (Fla.), three stars, No. 15 P-S QB, No. 54 in Fla -- Loeffler
TE Jacob Mathis, Berkley Prep (Fla.), three stars, No. 25 TE, No. 56 in Fla -- Gray
LB Dominique Ross, Trinity Christian (Fla.), three stars, No. 47 OLB, No. 60 in Fla -- Wiles
DT Justin Andrews, Kathleen (Fla.), three stars -- Gray/Wiles
DT Jarrod Hewitt, Venice (Fla.) three stars -- Wiles

Recent Rivals Stories On VT FL Targets:
Hewitt from ScarletNation.com, May 27: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769543
Snelson from BlueandGold.com, April 21: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1759476
Mathis from TideSports.com, May 21: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768056
Bethel from TheWolfpacker.com, May 22: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768281

Overview:
For nearly every school in the country, Florida is a vital state for recruiting. Virginia Tech dabbles more than anything, so it's tough to say it's that vital to the Hokies. They pick and choose, but when they find gems, like Rivals250 quarterback Dwayne Lawson last year, they go after them hard. The same is the case this year. But it's also because they recruit only certain areas. Assistant coaches Torrian Gray (Kathleen) and Charley Wiles (DeLand) are both from Florida, but Gray typically recruits only around Tampa and Lakeland, while Wiles goes from Jacksonville down to just south of West Palm Beach.

For 2016, there's some big offers out. But the most realistic one right now is Bethel. Virginia Tech stopped by this spring and his interest is definitely there. He's been relatively lightly recruited thus far and hasn't taken visits outside the state of Florida. But Bethel "half-jokingly" said in a story last month that he didn't like any of the Florida schools growing up. He'll get out of the state this summer hopefully, but this one might come down to official visits this fall. And right now, the Hokies would be in line to get one. Watch NC State, West Virginia and a few others here, as this one is still very open.

Virginia Tech is still flirting with Snelson, ever since he decommitted from Miami in December. But while this would be the best chance at an elite from the state right now, it's a long shot at best. Snelson has kept the Hokies in the mix, though. He included them on a top 10 that he released in late April that also included Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Florida, Ohio State, Louisville, Auburn, West Virginia and Notre Dame. He's showing Virginia Tech love on Twitter, so it's at least worth keeping an eye on.

The Hokies will typically also be in the mix with any recruits from national powerhouse Trinity Christian in Jacksonville, especially after landing Isaiah Ford in 2014. While Buie hasn't shown a lot of interest, Ross has at least been listening. He's widely thought to have Miami, North Carolina and UCLA at the top, but Virginia Tech is still in the mix. He'll have to visit for the Hokies to have much of a shot.

And keeping to form, Virginia Tech has also, probably smartly, gone for some overlooked players in the state. Andrews is at Gray's alma mater and has shown interest, while Hewitt put the Hokies in his top five, along with Rutgers, Pittsburgh, South Florida and Purdue. He's actually probably the next of the targets in the state to decide, but if he doesn't get to Blacksburg before he does, the odds are slim to none for Virginia Tech.

Finally, keep an eye on some of the 2017 guys the Hokies have offered, all of whom are under the radar. The one underclassman not under the radar is Gatewood in 2018, the only player in that class who will be at the Rivals Five-Star Challenge presented by Under Armour. Already not great odds there, though right now.

"They've got offers out like everybody else, maybe even overextending a little bit. I don't know that they're gonna get the guys they're really after, like Snelson and Bethel. The way Florida is, it's tough to get those first and second-tier guys out of the state. That next level after that I think is where they can have some success. There are a lot of good players, so that next level isn't much to shake a stick at.

I like the guys they're after. Bethel, maybe we had him a bit overrated at first. I saw him at his spring game and he looked good and impressive, he just didn't stand out as a top 250 player in the country. That kind of guy should be dominating football games and making an impact. He was just kind of a dude. Maybe they will have a shot if some others drop out and that's not a shot at Virginia Tech. It's tough for anyone to get guys like that. Clemson, Alabama has some luck, but unless you're Florida and Florida State, it's tough. I think Miami's class might disintegrate so maybe that's where Virginia Tech has some luck. If I'm Virginia Tech, I'm still very involved with those guys.

The Andrews kid I could see going to Virginia Tech. He went to the Rivals Combine and actually did pretty well. He's kind of a light defensive tackle right now, but he's the kind of guy who won't grab the offers from the Florida States of the world. But when you put weight on him, he might be that high caliber guy. He needs to add some weight and some size."

-- Rivals.com southeast analyst Rob Cassidy

Social Media:
Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media

UNC is about to go on probation. It's done. NCAA finds UNC guilty.

Jackcrow, I love your posts and updates. We all know UNC has been cheating and it has been ongoing with this and that for years. I made another thread to make it very clear from the title that this is no longer "more of the same" with another story or incident that we all think will lead to nothing. My post or reposting is to point out "with the title thread" that readers of this board know clearly........without having to read the subject matter that the NCAA has pretty much found them in violation, and now.........we are just waiting for the punishment. The investigation is done. It's over. The NCAA obviously found them "guilty" (not a court of law, but you get the picture) and now, it is just waiting on the punishment for their wrongdoing.
Reactions: Jackcrow

**INSider: Two Players Leave Program

In between semesters in usually a convenient time for attrition to occur. This most recent break was no different Quarterback Andrew Ford and tight end Dakota Jackson have left the program, a source confirmed.

Ford was entering his redshirt freshman season in the fall and had fallen behind Michael Brewer, Brenden Motley, and Chris Durkin on the depth chart. Freshman Dwayne Lawson is also expected to compete once he enrolls.

Jackson is a Roanoke native who was entering his redshirt junior season. He played in five games last season.

***INsider: Tyrone Outlaw Latest***

Guys, I just spoke with Lee CC (TX) assistant coach Marcus King. He's the coach who's really been helping forward Tyrone Outlaw through his recruitment. And he's also the main source from when many falsely reported that Outlaw committed to Virginia Tech May 12.

King said that Outlaw is "still in the final process." But King did say that Outlaw will likely make his choice next week with where he'll play his college ball. Again, King and the staff don't really want any finals list or anything, so they've continued to say that Outlaw is open. VT, Oklahoma State, West Virginia and Baylor are among those in contention.

The biggest hold up has been that Outlaw was in a May 'mini-course' or three-week class at Lee CC. King said that Outlaw finished with an A and that they all wanted him to get the class done before moving on.

"There's some precautions that that people had, but everything is clear now," King said. "Now he’s in position to go wherever he chooses to go. The academic component is now in place.

"In junior college, our practice here is to make sure we have everything where it needs to be. The worst thing is to be a class short. Coaches appreciate how we do things. Now he can make an educated decision."

So still not a done deal yet, but we'll know for certain next week. So yet another reason why this one was badly misreported. He still is a lean to the Hokies, but has not been a done deal by any means.

***Location VT: Maryland***

Most Recent Offers:
OL Jordan McNair, McDonogh (Md.), three stars (2017) -- Searels

Top targets:
OL Terrance Davis, Dematha (Md.), No. 6 OG, No. 4 in MD -- Searels
WR Trevon Diggs, Avalon School (Md.), four stars, No. 23 WR, No. 6 in MD -- Burden
WR Tino Ellis, Dematha (Md.), four stars, No. 35 WR, No. 5 in MD -- Burden
LB Keith Simms, Landon School (Md.), four stars, No. 22 OLB, No. 9 in MD -- Burden
DT Ellison Jordan, Gilman (Md.), four stars, No. 23 DT, No. 11 in MD -- Wiles/Burden
LB Cameron Brown, Bullis (Md.), four stars, No. 24 OLB, No. 12 in MD -- Burden
OL Stephen Spanellis, Gilman (Md.), three stars, No. 36 OT, No. 14 in MD -- Searels
RB Anthony McFarland, Dematha (Md.), four stars, Rivals100 to watch for 2017 -- Burden
LB Nathan Proctor, Lackey (Md.), three stars (2017) -- Burden

Recent Rivals Stories On VT MD Targets:
McNair from HokieHaven.com, May 31: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1770341
Davis from InsideTheGators.com, May 27: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769660
Diggs from TerrapinSportsReport.com, May 16: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1766743
Simms from TerrapinSportsReport.com, May 28: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1769926
Brown from Rivals.com/HokieHaven.com, May 29: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1770276
Jordan from TerrapinSportsReport.com, May 19: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1767413

Overview:
Maryland always has been and will continue to be vital recruiting ground for Virginia Tech. And the following there is exemplified by the huge turnout for the Military Bowl in Annapolis. Despite losing a commitment, Kareem Felder, to Ohio State, the Hokies continue to do well here, with a very under the radar commitment in Myles Wolfolk. He showed solidly, but not spectacularly in April at the Richmond stop of the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour.

The target most point to in the state is Ellis, whom Virginia Tech offered in the spring of his freshman year. Ellis played with Cam Phillips and is cousins with senior DB Donovan Riley. He's been visiting Blacksburg since he was in middle school. And while the Hokies will be in it until the end, the team that will be very, very tough to beat out is Maryland, which was first to offer. Ellis is also very tight with Rivals100 QB Dwayne Haskins, who committed to the Terps last month. There's time, but the odds have been shifting more and more for Ellis towards Maryland, with West Virginia close by, too. He chose to visit the Mountaineers for their spring game over the Hokies.

The best chance for a top-level recruit in Maryland is with Jordan. He's been Virginia Tech's top defensive tackle prospect for months now and has been very high on the Hokies. Jordan even spent his birthday weekend to visit for their spring game in April. Jordan had rave reviews after that visit and said the four sticking out a bit to him are VT, Maryland, Rutgers and Penn State. He needs to visit Blacksburg this summer for the Hokies to maintain their status, but odds are looking favorable for VT right now.

The other target to really watch is Brown, who had planned on transferring to Paint Branch (Md.), but will instead stay at Bullis (Md.). Brown visited Blacksburg for the Hokies' first scrimmage in early April and has kept them in a good spot since. He has a top 10 of Arizona State, Duke, Michigan State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Penn State, Pittsburgh, USC, VT and Wisconsin. The Irish, Nittany Lions and Panthers are the three the Hokies will be battling most with. A top five is coming in July.

Keep an eye on Simms and Davis. It looked like for a while like Simms didn't have much, if any interest in the Hokies. But he has said recently that he plans on visiting for one of Virginia Tech's camps in a few weeks, which could swing the momentum. Until then, it's hard to know exactly how he feels about the Hokies, but that visit will be a good indicator. With Davis, he tweeted that Virginia Tech is in his top 10, though the Hokies have only quietly been mentioned with him. They still need him to visit to have a realistic shot.

Odds fort Spanellis and Diggs are very slim, but Virginia Tech has gotten in very early with Proctor and McFarland. Both have visited multiple times, for games and junior days. Proctor also has some pro-VT support around him, but it's still very early on both.

"Maryland is a big-time state for Virginia Tech. They've gotten a lot of guys out of the state over the years. Tino Ellis is the headliner, but I don't know that they'll have a great shot at getting him. Some of these other guys, Keith Simms, Cameron Brown, Ellison Jordan for sure. They have a good Gilman connection and there a lot of guys over the next couple of years who will be some big-time guys.

They've got Myles Wolfolk out of Wise and Torrian Gray does a great job of finding DBs. Myles could be one of those guys who can develop into one of those that they're known for over there. Virginia Tech has a good presence in Maryland and players are really looking for a Virginia Tech offer. That's a school that guys seem validated once they get a Virginia Tech offer because of the history there.

There's nothing significant at Dematha now for them other than Tino and Tino and Anthony do their own thing when it comes to recruiting. The guys there, Terrance Davis, Shane Simmons, DJ Turner and Lorenzo Harrison. Tino and Anthony also do track together and it seems like they're more inclined to do their own thing. But other 2017 guys like Proctor, who's a good prospect and might be underrated as a three-star, he's a guy Virginia Tech should really focus in on. They should work as hard as they can to get into McDonogh and they have a big-time presence in the state, which they've leveraged."

-- Rivals.com mid-Atlantic analyst Adam Friedman

Social Media:
Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media Login to view embedded media

New Rivals250 Released

The latest edition of the rankings was just released. Here's the story of the risers & sliders: http://rvls.co/1JncNn1

Full rankings: https://rivals.yahoo.com/virginiatech/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-3513/0

And notable VT targets:

DE Ron Johnson, No. 109
WR Trevon Diggs, No. 120
OL Terrance Davis, No. 122
WR Dredrick Snelson, No. 123
OL Jauan Williams, No. 125
Safety Damar Hamlin, No. 126
WR Diondre Overton, No. 132
DE Karamo Dioubate, No. 144
LB Jaquan Yulee, No. 153
LB Devin Bush, No. 156
WR Tino Ellis, No. 163