ADVERTISEMENT

35 Days......have waited a long time for this series to come back

QB is the biggest question mark in my eyes for VT, although Fuente does have a pretty impressive track record of getting new QBs up to speed in a hurry.

Oh, and BTW, I saw WVU's offense several times last year, so you might as well do yourself a favor and forget about scoring 6 or 7 TDs (or whatever it is you're predicting) on what will likely be the best defense you'll see all year. It'll save you some heartburn later on when it doesn't happen. Heck, I'll be impressed with the progress of your offense since last season if you can manage to hit 20 points. But after watching you struggle to score 14 against a Miami defense that gave up a bunch of points in ACC play (including 37 to VT), I'm not really holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

Last edited:
QB is the biggest question mark in my eyes for VT, although Fuente does have a pretty impressive track record of getting new QBs up to speed in a hurry.

Oh, and BTW, I saw WVU's offense several times last year, so you might as well do yourself a favor and forget about scoring 6 or 7 TDs (or whatever it is you're predicting) on what will likely be the best defense you'll see all year. It'll save you some heartburn later on when it doesn't happen. Heck, I'll be impressed with the progress of your offense since last season if you can manage to hit 20 points. But after watching you struggle to score 14 against a Miami defense that gave up a bunch of points in ACC play (including 37 to VT), I'm not really holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

If you are basing our offense off of a Skyler Howard game, I do not know what to tell you. QB was the only weak part of our offense because Grier had to sit a year.

Howard had two moves.... calling his own number and throwing into coverage.

Reactions: rjpeal
Will Grier is a local kid for me (I live in Charlotte) so I've been watching him play since his 10th grade year.

If you're expecting miracles with him at QB, well...good luck with that.

You aren't accounting for defensive TDs as well.

Freshman QB vs an unconventional defense that is proven to be effective. Sure WVU isn't returning a lot of starters, but the two deep is basically full of guys with a lot of experience. ... just like last year. We haven't had a bad defense since Tony Gibson took over, and we had A LOT of turnover in those years.

I just don't see where VT even comes close.
It will be close as long as Bud Foster is at VT.

It will be close as long as Bud Foster is at VT.

giphy.gif

Will Grier is a local kid for me (I live in Charlotte) so I've been watching him play since his 10th grade year.

If you're expecting miracles with him at QB, well...good luck with that.

He was the National HS Player of the Year and a consensus 4* recruit that went 6-0 in the SEC as a freshman, so I'm not sure what you're basing your comments on. Grier is going to have a ton of playmakers to get the football to and both our coaches and his teammates have stated how talented he is at QB. With him leading the offense, it's going to be a completely different animal this year.

I don't get where you are so sold on your defense. You lost your top 3 linemen and most of your backfield. This is a rebuilding year for you. I am not saying we are going to beat the daylights out of you. Not even sure we win. But to say you will beat us by 5 touchdowns is not reasonable.

Reactions: mrjolly01

Freshman QB vs an unconventional defense that is proven to be effective. Sure WVU isn't returning a lot of starters, but the two deep is basically full of guys with a lot of experience. ... just like last year. We haven't had a bad defense since Tony Gibson took over, and we had A LOT of turnover in those years.

See attached as to why I think we will do OK.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...irginia-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

If WVU slaps Tech around like Huggs did Buzz the last 2 years, I predict Tech will cancel any remaining games.
Not sure it was cancelled due to results on field. Of the last ten outings, VT won 7 of them. Pretty lopsided in our favor.

I don't get where you are so sold on your defense. You lost your top 3 linemen and most of your backfield. This is a rebuilding year for you. I am not saying we are going to beat the daylights out of you. Not even sure we win. But to say you will beat us by 5 touchdowns is not reasonable.

Top 3 D Lineman? Yep. Most of our backfield? We are returning Dravon Henry, Kyzir White, and Elijah Battle (who were all starters. Dravon just sat out a year for injury. He would have definitely started).

We went through this last year and the year before. In 2016, we had to replace all three starting linebackers(one who went pro), a starting NT, 2 starting corners (one who left early to go pro), two starting safeties (both went pro), and two backup corners.

It isn't anything we haven't dealt with recently. Our new d-line got plenty of PT last season. They aren't green. Lucky for you, our best LB is out with injury. However, the other two starters are seniors. Plus, we probably have the best safety tandem in the country.

Is that optimal? No. I'll take it against your completely gutted rebuilt offense that hasn't even really landed on a QB yet with little returning WR experience.

He was the National HS Player of the Year and a consensus 4* recruit that went 6-0 in the SEC as a freshman, so I'm not sure what you're basing your comments on. Grier is going to have a ton of playmakers to get the football to and both our coaches and his teammates have stated how talented he is at QB. With him leading the offense, it's going to be a completely different animal this year.

Grier (and especially his dad) were very widely ridiculed in Charlotte for scheduling the worst competition they could find and then hanging 100 points on them. There were a dozen programs in Charlotte alone that could've run up the stats that Grier did while playing so far down in competition level to get them, but none of those programs had such poor sportsmanship that they would stoop to that level in order to win awards. During those years, several real programs in the area contacted Davidson Day to schedule games, but DD didn't want any part of real games against legit opponents. It was all just about the stats for those classless punks.

And Florida started 6-0 in spite of Grier, not because of him. He had some embarrasingly poor games against middle-of-the-road opponents in some really sloppy, ugly close wins, and Florida's coach even apologized to the fan base after a couple of those "wins" because Florida looked so bad when they took they field.

Grier may or may not turn out to be a fine QB one day (he's not now, by any stretch of the imagination), but either way, I can truly say that I'm thrilled that I'll never see him in a VT uniform. Like I said, if you have hopes pinned on him, then good luck with that. Maybe, for starters, he can actually manage to stay eligible this time.

So then I guess you are believing this to be a low-scoring affair. A defensive showdown if you will. May the best defense win because I don't believe either offense will rule the day. Grier has had only one game that was really effective. So I really am not too worried. I fully expect you to try and mix it up and that we probably shut down the passing game. If that happens then Bud will focus on your running game and will load the box. I really don't expect that your offense will score at will. Certainly not 6 to 8 scores as some of your posters have claimed.

Not sure it was cancelled due to results on field. Of the last ten outings, VT won 7 of them. Pretty lopsided in our favor.

He's talking about how your basketball coach decided to cancel the series against WVU after two lopsided victories for the Mountaineers.

Grier (and especially his dad) were very widely ridiculed in Charlotte for scheduling the worst competition they could find and then hanging 100 points on them. There were a dozen programs in Charlotte alone that could've run up the stats that Grier did while playing so far down in competition level to get them, but none of those programs had such poor sportsmanship that they would stoop to that level in order to win awards. During those years, several real programs in the area contacted Davidson Day to schedule games, but DD didn't want any part of real games against legit opponents. It was all just about the stats for those classless punks.

And Florida started 6-0 in spite of Grier, not because of him. He had some embarrasingly poor games against middle-of-the-road opponents in some really sloppy, ugly close wins, and Florida's coach even apologized to the fan base after a couple of those "wins" because Florida looked so bad when they took they field.

Grier may or may not turn out to be a fine QB one day (he's not now, by any stretch of the imagination), but either way, I can truly say that I'm thrilled that I'll never see him in a VT uniform. Like I said, if you have hopes pinned on him, then good luck with that. Maybe, for starters, he can actually manage to stay eligible this time.

I am sorry that a freshman in the SEC that went 6-0 didn't live up to your standards.

If he had wanted to transfer to VT, I am sure you would have drowned all 101 dalmations to make that happen.

You obviously aren't looking at the situation objectively, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Grier is far and away better than any QB on the VT roster. The D1 football coaches certainly didn't evaluate his potential on stats alone. They watched him throw live at camps against some of the top recruits in the Southeast region. Our entire coaching staff who doesn't normally hype an individual player on the roster up have been talking about his talent at QB for over a year. If you choose to believe he doesn't have elite talent, that's your choice but I can assure you're not going to like the result of the game in a few weeks when he picks apart your defense. I never said we'd win by 5+ TDs, however I definitely believe we're leaving Landover, Maryland victorious with The Black Diamond Trophy.

Last edited:

If these messages from these 'Neer stalwarts reflect the feeling of the overall 'Neer fanbase, this renewal of the rivalry may last one game. Lets hope they don't.

Translation: Nothing football related to be excited about. WVU by 5 TDs.

5 td prediction is complete nonsense of course. More realistic is Fuente will have his new QB and his offense ready to produce enough offense for VT's defense and coaching advantage to win this game.

You obviously aren't looking at the situation objectively, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Grier is far and away better than any QB on the VT roster. The D1 football coaches certainly didn't evaluate his potential on stats alone. They watched him throw live at camps against some of the top recruits in the Southeast region. Our entire coaching staff who doesn't normally hype an individual player on the roster up have been talking about his talent at QB for over a year. If you choose to believe he doesn't have elite talent, that's your choice but I can assure you're not going to like the result of the game in a few weeks when he picks apart your defense. I never said we'd win by 5+ TDs, however I definitely believe we're leaving Landover, Maryland victorious with The Black Diamond Trophy.
I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but I objectively know about Foster and his defenses, and facing VT defense in the first game will probably bring WVU fans expectations for Grier back down to earth a little bit. Also, you can't compare him to any of our QBs because you don't know anything about them or how they will perform in Fuente's offense.

I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, but I objectively know about Foster and his defenses, and facing VT defense in the first game will probably bring WVU fans expectations for Grier back down to earth a little bit. Also, you can't compare him to any of our QBs because you don't know anything about them or how they will perform in Fuente's offense.

Do you have any former National Players of the Year at QB on your roster? Grier is not the type of player to become intimidated, especially not at a neutral site game. You're acting like you have a Nick Saban National Championship level defense. Not to mention the fact that our stable of RBs is going to make this offense multiple and take pressure off of Grier. I respect your program and Coach Fuente, but I know the level of talent that's on our roster and I definitely believe we are going to walk out of FedEx Field with a win.

Do you have any former National Players of the Year at QB on your roster? Grier is not the type of player to become intimidated, especially not at a neutral site game. You're acting like you have a Nick Saban National Championship level defense. Not to mention the fact that our stable of RBs is going to make this offense multiple and take pressure off of Grier. I respect your program and Coach Fuente, but I know the level of talent that's on our roster and I definitely believe we are going to walk out of FedEx Field with a win.
Don't know about "Nick Saban National Championship level defense, but VT has earned its reputation for consistently turning out defenses that perform at a very high level. If your QB is going to be as great a college QB as you think, against VT's defense is a great opportunity for him to start validating those expectations. Right now your QB has more ink than ours but still has not proven himself to be the CFB National Championship level QB you are acting like he is. Stepping back and looking at these two programs overall, personnel and coaching all considered, I'd say either team could walk out of FedEx with a win.

Grier is not the type of player to become intimidated, especially not at a neutral site game.
Yikes...OK, I guess you'll learn more about him as the season rolls along. The reality is Grier spent most of his life aggresively ducking competition, and then after he showed up in the SEC, he looked like a deer-in-the-headlights in his few starts.

And as far as national player of the year types on the roster, Hendon Hooker (Dudley) absolutely went off in the 4A state championship game he just played (unlike Grier, who refused to play anyone above the 1A level in his career). I'd take a thousand Hendon Hookers who proved it on the field over some stat queen who hid behind the bleachers everytime a real team walked by the stadium. Some kids shine bright in the spotlight...and some kids don't. That's just the way it is.

Yikes...OK, I guess you'll learn more about him as the season rolls along. The reality is Grier spent most of his life aggresively ducking competition, and then after he showed up in the SEC, he looked like a deer-in-the-headlights in his few starts.

And as far as national player of the year types on the roster, Hendon Hooker (Dudley) absolutely went off in the 4A state championship game he just played (unlike Grier, who refused to play anyone above the 1A level in his career). I'd take a thousand Hendon Hookers who proved it on the field over some stat queen who hid behind the bleachers everytime a real team walked by the stadium. Some kids shine bright in the spotlight...and some kids don't. That's just the way it is.

You obviously have personal issue with Grier and/or his dad and it's clouding your ability to be objective. Have you ever spent any time around Division 1 coaches? HS stats have very little effect on their evaluation of prospects and they also factor in level of competition. A lot of these coaches saw Grier compete in HS and thought he was a high level QB that could help them win football games. I hope the VT defensive players also overlook Grier before he throws the football all over the field in Landover. We'll obviously see in a few weeks what he does against a quality defense.

Whether or not you agree with anything SBNation says there are some factors that cannot be ignored. Your QB is essentially unproven at this point and whereas you have a stable of supporting running backs the offensive line is a serious question mark. Normally takes a couple of games for the o-line to gel so I am not sure Grier will have any time in the pocket. If your line has difficulty containing our defensive front then it will get ugly as Foster will bring the blitzes and make it a very uncomfortable outing for Grier.

5 td prediction is complete nonsense of course. More realistic is Fuente will have his new QB and his offense ready to produce enough offense for VT's defense and coaching advantage to win this game.

More realistic. ... I am being a little homerish and WVU wins by 4TDs and 2FGs.

There are an awful lot of Fuente posts. I guess I understand basking in that new coach smell.

Last edited:
You obviously have personal issue with Grier and/or his dad and it's clouding your ability to be objective. Have you ever spent any time around Division 1 coaches? HS stats have very little effect on their evaluation of prospects and they also factor in level of competition. A lot of these coaches saw Grier compete in HS and thought he was a high level QB that could help them win football games. I hope the VT defensive players also overlook Grier before he throws the football all over the field in Landover. We'll obviously see in a few weeks what he does against a quality defense.
Foster doesn't overlook anyone....when this one is over young Grier will respect Mr. Foster for sure. When Bud is given this much time to prepare for anyone it's not good news for the opposing team. I don't know if VT offense will be up for the challenge but I can guarantee the defense will be.

I am ever hopeful that the O-line will be respectful. We don't have a lot of experienced RB talent so hard to tell how the running game will go. Couple that with new inexperienced QB and you could have a lackluster offensive game. The really cool thing is that with the new regime we really don't know what to expect on offense. Under the older OD regimes we knew what we were getting - nada. I am excited to see how the new regime adjusts to the personnel issues and makes something work on offense.

LOL...they can't count to 10 so I'm sure they didn't realize those results.

Considering you have had a recent QB who was born and raised in Short Gap, WV, you should really rethink your statement.

I also find it funny that some of you are debating how many points WVU wins by.

I am just impressed that some VT fans are interested in some gambling that doesn't involve drowning dogs or getting some 16 years old liquored up.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Considering you have had a recent QB who was born and raised in Short Gap, WV, you should really rethink your statement.

I also find it funny that some of you are debating how many points WVU wins by.

I am just impressed that some VT fans are interested in some gambling that doesn't involve drowning dogs or getting some 16 years old liquored up.
I'm impressed you can post so much and say so little.

I'm impressed you can post so much and say so little.

It is not my fault that you do not understand.

Perhaps is Beamer had slapped the fan base like he did his players, you might understand more.

I am just simply pointing out that a certain poster insulted WV, and Grant Noel (your scholarship QB) was from Short Gap, WV.

It is not my fault that you do not understand.

Perhaps is Beamer had slapped the fan base like he did his players, you might understand more.

I am just simply pointing out that a certain poster insulted WV, and Grant Noel (your scholarship QB) was from Short Gap, WV.
I should apologize ....not your fault you were born in that backwards redneck inbred state. It's a real shame you weren't fortunate enough to be born somewhere like India, would have been a nice step up for you.

Reactions: mrjolly01
I should apologize ....not your fault you were born in that backwards redneck inbred state. It's a real shame you weren't fortunate enough to be born somewhere like India, would have been a nice step up for you.

You dumbasses are on the wrong side of history. The south lost. Loser.

Just turned on the news. Your state has definitely been holding it together lately.

Just turned on the news. Your state has definitely been holding it together lately.
http://www.dominionpost.com/8-14-Marcus-Simms-DUI
Simms’ speech was slurred and he stated that his license was revoked because of a previous DUI arrest. Paperwork provided showed that Simms was arrested in May in Maryland for DUI, but the case had not yet gone to court.

Simms failed his sobriety tests and was arrested. He stated that he had smoked marijuana earlier in the day, but Mongold said Simms’ tongue was green. A search found marijuana residue all over the vehicle and there were burnt marijuana cigarettes in the ash tray.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT