ADVERTISEMENT

Buzz has to be in the discussion for coach of the year

A kind thing to say BigLick. We have improved a lot. But this conference is run by Carolina Schools.

Well... uh, ah hem, eh but it takes about 4 or 5 years to recruit enough talent to turn a program like Virginia Tech around... cough.

9-8 ACC baby! Buzz year II

We are currently in the bottom half of the ACC. I agree on the job he has done but I think our current standing is going to be tough to overcome. Now if we win our next game then maybe we turn more heads.. Lets hope.

Buzz is the COY in my book, for all he has done at VT in 2 years. Don't know what the ACC voters think But he's the man .

Reactions: salemfan32
We are currently in the bottom half of the ACC. I agree on the job he has done but I think our current standing is going to be tough to overcome. Now if we win our next game then maybe we turn more heads.. Lets hope.
We're turning heads now. This team is still playing for an NCAA bid.

We are better than some teams that will make NCAA tournament, whether we do or not.
Unlikely to make NCAA (unless of course we win the ACC tournament). Even if we lose our next 3 games, the year is still a success. 500 or above in the ACC and above 500 overall. This exceeds my expectations for this team. A great job by Coach Williams. Now that we have a system we need to start upgrading the players (need bigger inside presence). I expect to make the NCAA next year as the other teams in the ACC have a lot of upperclassmen that will leave at the end of this season. I expect to get 21 or more wins next year. We will need to win more than our share of close games (as we did this year) to get there. Very good season VT!

If Miami ties or wins the regular season Larranaga will win coach of the year....you take it to the bank. Buzz has done a great job but the only way he wins in the middle of the pack is if there is no surprise in 1st place. If VT beats Miami and UNC beats Duke Buzz has a chance, VT lose to Miami Larranaga wins COY.

It will take a better game to beat miami than we played against Pitt but we are absolutly capable of beating the U.

Win Saturday against Miami and I'll be his biggest fan!!!!!! (Hoo's not a Hokie of course)

If Virginia can beat UNC, then I think VT can beat Miami. We are going to have to bring our "A" game for 40 minutes. If we can beat the U and win a couple tournament games, we should make NCAA tournament.

I think we have to win until at least the ACC championship game to make the selection committee stop and think about leaving us out. There's really no margin of error for this team to get into the NCAA Tournament, our early season losses and OOC schedule are just hard to overcome. But if they could reach the ACC Championship game with this winning streak intact then I think they would still have a chance at an at large bid and would be deserving. Again, not likely, but again, you can't rule anything out with Buzz Williams on the sideline.

I think we have to win until at least the ACC championship game to make the selection committee stop and think about leaving us out. There's really no margin of error for this team to get into the NCAA Tournament, our early season losses and OOC schedule are just hard to overcome. But if they could reach the ACC Championship game with this winning streak intact then I think they would still have a chance at an at large bid and would be deserving. Again, not likely, but again, you can't rule anything out with Buzz Williams on the sideline.
I think you are right, the bad games early are going to be hard to overcome, if you made the finals I'm still not sure that's enough. I do believe it would at least get you in the conversation but not sure you would get in.

If we beat Miami and win 2 games in ACC tournament, we should get a bid. We will own wins over Miami and UVA both top 10 teams I believe. Plus 10-8 record in the toughest conference.

The problem is not our ACC resume. Its our OOC resume. Too many of our wins are over easy teams (RPI 200+)

Oh, and Kank, wherever you are, Devin Wilson is a junior now and still plays a big role for Buzz.

It would be nice to win ACC tournament and force the selection committee to have to take us. That would hurt them more than Donald Trump will hurt Milt Romney if he wins nomination. The NCAA Selection Committee is not a friend of VT, no matter the record.

With all due respect you are 17-13 with some really bad loses why should you get a vote?
I would agree with you, but there is something wrong here. Yesterday I was listening to a discussion on ESPN about GT and Pitt being close to being in the tourney. Didn't we beat them plus two top 10 teams? Aren't we seeded higher than them? Doesn't how a team is playing now matter more than a loss in November? I hear all that all the time, but with VT it never matters. ... and I'm not a whinney VT homer, no offense HR6.:)

Yesterday I was listening to a discussion on ESPN about GT and Pitt being close to being in the tourney. Didn't we beat them plus two top 10 teams? Aren't we seeded higher than them? Doesn't how a team is playing now matter more than a loss in November?

GT and Pitt have a better RPI and BPI, more quality wins and fewer bad losses than VaTech. Basically they have a better resume.

I didn't realize that RPI or BPI had anything to do with getting votes in the AP or Coaches Polls. Personally I don't think any of those teams (GT, Syracuse, or VT) should be getting votes for top 25 in those polls.

That said, it seems to me that the most important thing in getting an at large bid in the NCAA tournament is RPI, even though we always hear about other criteria such as "who's played well down the stretch". Well, yeah, who's played well down the stretch, as long as your RPI number isn't too high. Bottom line is you better be paying close attention to your RPI if you want an at large bid into this tournament. That means limiting your games with easy teams and picking up wins on the road and neutral sites to go with your home wins. And I think we'll be seeing our scheduling suddenly start ramping up next season because of RPI.

Reactions: Hoos19NC
I didn't realize that RPI or BPI had anything to do with getting votes in the AP or Coaches Polls. Personally I don't think any of those teams (GT, Syracuse, or VT) should be getting votes for top 25 in those polls
I would agree with this part except VT is currently worthy of voting recognition for its progress and current performance. Those casting a vote do so because of their impression, in part, on how the team is currently playing and the potential for future success. There are a few teams not yet ranked but getting at least one vote whose current and potential future performance is either no different or worse than VT's. That too is a opinion and one not based on a win/loss record but current and future potential performance.

I would agree with this part except VT is currently worthy of voting recognition for its progress and current performance. Those casting a vote do so because of their impression, in part, on how the team is currently playing and the potential for future success. There are a few teams not yet ranked but getting at least one vote whose current and potential future performance is either no different or worse than VT's. That too is a opinion and one not based on a win/loss record but current and future potential performance.
The top 25 is the best teams in the country not the 25 playing the best at this time. It's an overall reflection of their work season to date.

I didn't realize that RPI or BPI had anything to do with getting votes in the AP or Coaches Polls. Personally I don't think any of those teams (GT, Syracuse, or VT) should be getting votes for top 25 in those polls.

That said, it seems to me that the most important thing in getting an at large bid in the NCAA tournament is RPI, even though we always hear about other criteria such as "who's played well down the stretch". Well, yeah, who's played well down the stretch, as long as your RPI number isn't too high. Bottom line is you better be paying close attention to your RPI if you want an at large bid into this tournament. That means limiting your games with easy teams and picking up wins on the road and neutral sites to go with your home wins. And I think we'll be seeing our scheduling suddenly start ramping up next season because of RPI.
Great point on VT's schedule hurting their RPI this year....If VT wants to be in NCAA tournament they will need to play a better schedule and I agree Buzz knows this and will start scheduling better out of conference. Even if VT had beaten Ala St and Northwestern it would be highly doubtful you would be in based on the lack of quality wins outside of the conference. Buzz has done a great job and he will make scheduling adjustments that will help VT reach the Tournament in the future.

I know, its a subjective process and that's what we get from it - disagreements. Voters have to decide when they've done enough to be included on their top 25 ballot and I wouldn't have them on my ballot yet based on going back to game one. But they're coming up. If there was a poll strictly for the way they are currently playing then I would have them in. There should probably be such a poll - "the hot 10" - or something like that would be interesting. Its all for the fans anyway.

Great point on VT's schedule hurting their RPI this year....If VT wants to be in NCAA tournament they will need to play a better schedule and I agree Buzz knows this and will start scheduling better out of conference. Even if VT had beaten Ala St and Northwestern it would be highly doubtful you would be in based on the lack of quality wins outside of the conference. Buzz has done a great job and he will make scheduling adjustments that will help VT reach the Tournament in the future.

Yep, I'm pretty sure Buzz knows how to game the RPI as well as anybody. He sacrificed it this year for some wins with such a young team, although he may be kicking himself now that the team has begun to mature as quickly as it did. The schedule is sure to get better next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT