ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson-Virginia Tech Game

My Clemson counterparts are much more confident than me. I see a 17-7 win for Clemson, where both offense realize they aren't as good as they thought they were.

I predicted it on Monday on the homeboard and I'm sticking to it.

VT had 386 total yards and 35 points in that game...so it's very lucky for you that we didn't have any more good plays, or you would've lost that game pretty handily.

Heck, you BARELY hung on and won against all the bad plays we were calling.

That game was 14-0 and was about to be an a** whipping until the targeting call on O'Daniel. You can keep hanging on to that game if you want but it won't help Saturday night. Clemson will shut down VT. The D line will collapse the pocket all night forcing the Freshman into mistakes. Clemson will have at least 4 sacks. They will force a turnover. VT will score 17 at the absolute most. I'm thinking more like 10.

Reactions: PainClinic
I wouldn't disagree with 17 or even 10 points on offense. It really depends on the composure our young QB has under severe pressure. For certain, Clemson's defense will be the best we will face this year.

On the other hand, I do not believe that Clemson will score 40 points on us. I am in for 34-17 Clemson.

I wouldn't disagree with 17 or even 10 points on offense. It really depends on the composure our young QB has under severe pressure. For certain, Clemson's defense will be the best we will face this year.

On the other hand, I do not believe that Clemson will score 40 points on us. I am in for 34-17 Clemson.

Clemson 30-10

A UVA fan asked me last night "what was the line on VT-Clemson", I told him, then I added that UVA had a Bye this week, and Bye was a 3 point favorite.

Reactions: swmrappell
you meant to not include this in your post quote "I disagree as a Tiger fan. VT ( when FSU was down)football carried the ACC for a few years until about 2011."

Clemson 30-10
I don't think you will score 30 on us. Our defense against your offense is more than capable. To me the key to the game is field position. With good field position we can win. I think both offenses will struggle to score against long fields. Both defenses just have too much big play capability making it hard to go the distance. Good punting, return game wins this game imo.

I predict Clemson by 14.....VT's lack of a running game will be a big problem, Clemson's defense will have a field day against a one dimensional team. But I don't see a blowout because Bud is still running the defense.
I wouldn't exactly call Fuente's offense one dimensional.

Since game is in Blacksburg, I like VT's chances. I like the fact that both teams are playing each other, and not playing a cupcake like many schools are.

Wow, you're dense. The reason Clemson's defense checks in at #3 is BECAUSE they've played 3 really bad offenses, 2 of which rank in the bottom 10 in the country. And now you're going up against the best offense you've seen yet this year?

So how's this for tempered expectations...I promise you that on Sunday, Clemson will not still be ranked #3 in the country in total defense. Please feel free to revisit the board next week and congratulate me on being right.

And for the record, VT's starters played sparingly in the 2nd halves in those games you mentioned above. If Fuente was just about big numbers against bad opponents, the carnage could've been much, much worse, and VT's offensive rankings could've been much, much higher. But he sat the starters in those games because they executed the game plan as well as any offense he's ever had. Fuente is hard to please, and he's been thrilled with this offense so far, which is more than good enough for me.

Will just correct a little on this. Jackson DID lead your last TD drive late in the 3rd quarter. Your regulars played pretty much 3 full quarters, then turned it over to reserves. You can promise we won't be ranked 3rd in total defense yet, we will still be ranked #2 unless Bama falters. Clemson's depth on both lines will wear down the defense. Just my opinion of course.

I don't think you will score 30 on us. Our defense against your offense is more than capable. To me the key to the game is field position. With good field position we can win. I think both offenses will struggle to score against long fields. Both defenses just have too much big play capability making it hard to go the distance. Good punting, return game wins this game imo.

*cough cough* How exactly would you like your crow sir?

Reactions: Jokes On You
Wow, you're dense. The reason Clemson's defense checks in at #3 is BECAUSE they've played 3 really bad offenses, 2 of which rank in the bottom 10 in the country. And now you're going up against the best offense you've seen yet this year?

So how's this for tempered expectations...I promise you that on Sunday, Clemson will not still be ranked #3 in the country in total defense. Please feel free to revisit the board next week and congratulate me on being right.

And for the record, VT's starters played sparingly in the 2nd halves in those games you mentioned above. If Fuente was just about big numbers against bad opponents, the carnage could've been much, much worse, and VT's offensive rankings could've been much, much higher. But he sat the starters in those games because they executed the game plan as well as any offense he's ever had. Fuente is hard to please, and he's been thrilled with this offense so far, which is more than good enough for me.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WHERE'S MY WHIPPING BOY??? @hokiemtc

I think tonight proves, it is you who is dense. I called it 34-17 with a VT garbage TD, I was wrong... BOTH of your TD's were garbage, you're offense did NOTHING! You had the big punt return and a 3 yard carry for 7 then beat our 3rd teamers for another one...LATE.

and Louisville was the best offense we've seen this year.

Hahahah cuz we played 4th string at the end up three TDs late in the fourth.
Your "4th string" wasn't playing when you scored your garbage pick six off our receiver's bobbled pass he should have caught. If you are going to count garbage points make sure you count both teams garbage points. Also, that was our 4th string running back running through your 4th string defense.

NIGHTY, NIGHT, SANDMAN!

Honestly, It wasn't fair that ESPN hyped you all week and gave you false hope.

ESPN hypes every Gameday game because it's a vested interest. I don't think anyone here had "false hope." We knew full-well we were facing a stiff task starting a freshman QB against arguably the best or second best defense in the country. We needed perfect defense and turnover-free offense to have any chance whatsoever, and got neither. Our defense was sloppy out of the gates, Jackson played like you would expect a freshman to play, and that sealed our fate early.

The outcome was fairly predictable, and I look forward to seeing Clemson try to repeat as national champs. Congrats and good luck the rest of the way.

Why should I eat crow? You said 30-10. You didn't beat us as bad as you said you would.

It was 31-10 and you scored a TD with under a minute to play on our 3rd string defense. You really want to play that game? That game was exactly like I predicted. Be thankful you played a coach that put the walkons in so you could make it look better than it was. You're a joke. Take your L little boy.

It was 31-10 and you scored a TD with under a minute to play on our 3rd string defense. You really want to play that game? That game was exactly like I predicted. Be thankful you played a coach that put the walkons in so you could make it look better than it was. You're a joke. Take your L little boy.
Ha ha, now its time for the name calling. Of course that's expected from a troll but I'm not going to keep feeding you. I said your offense wouldn't score 30 on our defense and they didn't, and the final score was 31-17, not 31-10. Not only that, but we had more yards and first downs than you did. The game turned on 3 plays which were self inflicted mistakes by VT. If we eliminate those its a tight game. So you're the one who's the joke, have a nice day.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Ha ha, now its time for the name calling. Of course that's expected from a troll but I'm not going to keep feeding you. I said your offense wouldn't score 30 on our defense and they didn't, and the final score was 31-17, not 31-10. Not only that, but we had more yards and first downs than you did. The game turned on 3 plays which were self inflicted mistakes by VT. If we eliminate those its a tight game. So you're the one who's the joke, have a nice day.
So if you eliminate all your bad plays, you play better. If Clemson eliminates the two overthrows of WRs, Clemson has two more touchdowns, and the game is even more of a beat down.

Both schools can play the what if game.

The game NEVER turned !
VT- 3 and out, TIGERS- FG
VT- 3 and out, TIGERS- TD
4 of your first 5 possessions were 3 and outs!
You didn't get a first down until 2 minutes to go in the first Q.
When you finally ran a play in our territory, the commentators had to point it out.
Start to finish, it was TIGER domination.

Yeah and that argument (Jokes on You) can ping pong on and on. Its pointless.

All I was saying is I didn't post anything that I feel I need to "eat crow" over. My original post was actually very respectful. All I said was I didn't think your offense would put up 30 points on our defense, which it didn't. Its no big deal. But, there's always the lunatic fringe of every fan base that can't just enjoy a good win over a good team without the need to keep coming back to their message board to disrespect them once the game is over. They act like we committed a crime by thinking we had a chance to compete. I guess if that floats their boat, okay then.

Yeah and that argument (Jokes on You) can ping pong on and on. Its pointless.

All I was saying is I didn't post anything that I feel I need to "eat crow" over. My original post was actually very respectful. All I said was I didn't think your offense would put up 30 points on our defense, which it didn't. Its no big deal. But, there's always the lunatic fringe of every fan base that can't just enjoy a good win over a good team without the need to keep coming back to their message board to disrespect them once the game is over. They act like we committed a crime by thinking we had a chance to compete. I guess if that floats their boat, okay then.

I've got not beef with you. You were right, our O scored 24. That's fair.

You just said the game "turned" on 3 plays, it didn't. That is also a fair assessment.

Reactions: FJRTiger
I've got not beef with you. You were right, our O scored 24. That's fair.

You just said the game "turned" on 3 plays, it didn't. That is also a fair assessment.
We're defining "turn" differently. I'm not saying you didn't score first or that you didn't always have the lead. Of course you did. What I'm saying is those plays took away any chance we had to win. That if we execute better ourselves, that we could have a very different and better result. One cannot correctly argue that those plays do not matter. They very much matter, especially in a 4 quarter game. That's what I mean when I say turn. Hope that clarifies. You played mistake free. We didn't. You deserved it, we did not. You played better. The best team won.

I said you lack a running game....90 yards rushing did nothing to prove me wrong.
Can't wait to see how many rushing yards you get against their D.

90 against them is not too bad, actually. Auburn had 38. Louisville had 116. Are they also one dimensional offenses?

We had 234 against WVU. I don't think you can say the Clemson game proves you right either.

Last edited:
We're defining "turn" differently. I'm not saying you didn't score first or that you didn't always have the lead. Of course you did. What I'm saying is those plays took away any chance we had to win. That if we execute better ourselves, that we could have a very different and better result. One cannot correctly argue that those plays do not matter. They very much matter, especially in a 4 quarter game. That's what I mean when I say turn. Hope that clarifies. You played mistake free. We didn't. You deserved it, we did not. You played better. The best team won.

You are gracious and reasonable in defeat. According to ESPN's winning probability real time chart, the game started with Clemson having a 71% chance of winning and it only went up from there. That's why I mistook your meaning for "turning".

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937481

Good luck with the rest of your season.

You are gracious and reasonable in defeat. According to ESPN's winning probability real time chart, the game started with Clemson having a 71% chance of winning and it only went up from there. That's why I mistook your meaning for "turning".

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937481

Good luck with the rest of your season.
Thanks, and the same to you. I've never noticed the win probability chart before. It looks pretty accurate. Before the game I would have agreed if someone told me our chance going in was about 25-30%.

Can't wait to see how many rushing yards you get against their D.

90 against them is not too bad, actually. Auburn had 38. Louisville had 116. Are they also one dimensional offenses?

We had 234 against WVU. I don't think you can say the Clemson game proves you right either.
You had 6 different guys carry the ball with your top guy getting 39 yards....VT ran the ball 28 times and threw 44 times or 71%. Seems pretty one dimensional to me. In 5 games the most yards any RB has rushed for is 72 yards not counting your QB had 40% of your rushing yards in the WVU game. Here are your RB leaders each game....WVU 51....Delaware 32....ECU 72....ODU 66....Clemson 39. In 5 games you have had 4 different rushing leaders counting your QB. I stand by original statement that VT hasn't established a running game at this point.
As for what UVA would rush for against Clemson.....guarantee it would be low but don't remember ever saying they would do well. Not really trying to start something with you but come on, I can't hardly name a VT RB at this point.

Last edited:
I agree, our RBs have not run like they should. I don't like running back by committee. Anoint one as starter and give him about 20 carries a game.

You had 6 different guys carry the ball with your top guy getting 39 yards....VT ran the ball 28 times and threw 44 times or 71%. Seems pretty one dimensional to me. In 5 games the most yards any RB has rushed for is 72 yards not counting your QB had 40% of your rushing yards in the WVU game. Here are your RB leaders each game....WVU 51....Delaware 32....ECU 72....ODU 66....Clemson 39. In 5 games you have had 4 different rushing leaders counting your QB. I stand by original statement that VT hasn't established a running game at this point.
As for what UVA would rush for against Clemson.....guarantee it would be low but don't remember ever saying they would do well. Not really trying to start something with you but come on, I can't hardly name a VT RB at this point.
Ha ha, I know you aren't trying to start anything with me, but you're just wrong. Its a flawed argument. Fuente does in fact use his running backs by committee. We knew that when he came here. That's his running back strategy. So to make an argument about our running game making us one dimensional by quoting the yards for only his "RB leaders" is flawed. And he also uses his QBs in the run game and they are often the leading rusher. He uses wideouts on end arounds and reverses. If you go back and look at our stats overall I'm sure you will find he's probably close to 50/50 run pass ratio. There is nothing one dimensional about his offense.

Now, note that I didn't say we were a great or even good running team right now, but we aren't one dimensional, which was my original comment. It's important you understand I made that distinction. Maybe you aren't grasping that.

Nobody is going to rush for many yards against Clemson, or do much of anything against them, run or pass. The normal game plan coaches usually want to use never works against them, they have NFL talent all over that defense, so you can't use that game as the benchmark unless you think every team we play is as good as Clemson. And, please, you can't use "top running back" as the rushing benchmark. You have to count all the yards (lol). Its like the commercial that says "we don't just want some of the Dak Prescott, we want all the Dak Prescott."

Last edited:
Ha ha, I know you aren't trying to start anything with me, but you're just wrong. Its a flawed argument. Fuente does in fact use his running backs by committee. We knew that when he came here. That's his running back strategy. So to make an argument about our running game making us one dimensional by quoting the yards for only his "RB leaders" is flawed. And he also uses his QBs in the run game and they are often the leading rusher. He uses wideouts on end arounds and reverses. If you go back and look at our stats overall I'm sure you will find he's probably close to 50/50 run pass ratio. There is nothing one dimensional about his offense.

Now, note that I didn't say we were a great or even good running team right now, but we aren't one dimensional, which was my original comment. It's important you understand I made that distinction. Maybe you aren't grasping that.

Nobody is going to rush for many yards against Clemson, or do much of anything against them, run or pass. The normal game plan coaches usually want to use never works against them, they have NFL talent all over that defense, so you can't use that game as the benchmark unless you think every team we play is as good as Clemson. And, please, you can't use "top running back" as the rushing benchmark. You have to count all the yards (lol). Its like the commercial that says "we don't just want some of the Dak Prescott, we want all the Dak Prescott."
Ok, I'll change from you being one dimensional to you don't have a good running game......I'm pretty sure that's what I was saying, shouldn't have said "one dimensional" should have said you haven't been able to run against mediocre teams so didn't believe you had any chance to run against Clemson. I felt that would make you one dimensional in this game.

Ok, I'll change from you being one dimensional to you don't have a good running game......I'm pretty sure that's what I was saying, shouldn't have said "one dimensional" should have said you haven't been able to run against mediocre teams so didn't believe you had any chance to run against Clemson. I felt that would make you one dimensional in this game.
You're still wrong. We have run against mediocre teams. You just have to count all the yards, not just the yards of the "leading running back".

And if it makes you feel better I can't name any UVA running backs either.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
You're still wrong. We have run against mediocre teams. You just have to count all the yards, not just the yards of the "leading running back".

And if it makes you feel better I can't name any UVA running backs either.
I’ll give you one to remember....Jordan Ellis 312 yds and 5 TD’s in 4 games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT