ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night Lights in Lane Stadium

PACKed House

Hokie Hall of Fame
Oct 17, 2001
Looks like we will be playing you guys in Lane on a Friday night. Never liked these games as I have always felt that it should be the high schoolers time to shine. How do you guys feel about it?

This post was edited on 1/28 11:16 AM by PACKed House

Richmond Times-Dispatch

The Year 2015....Friday Night College Games are Prime time. Ole Times , Thursday Night where prime time. NFL has taken Over the Thursday night head lines. Now, Is that hard to see or understand...Not to me . Look forward to skinning some Wolf Hides on Friday Night . Been Awhile !!!

Originally posted by Jackcrow:

The Year 2015....Friday Night College Games are Prime time. Ole Times , Thursday Night where prime time. NFL has taken Over the Thursday night head lines. Now, Is that hard to see or understand...Not to me . Look forward to skinning some Wolf Hides on Friday Night . Been Awhile !!!
HR...just read this Again...IT's 2015 and Times has changed ...I love anytime in Lane ....

True, times have changed. Now it's all about money, rather than just playing football. Sometimes I wish there was a max amount a school could spend and it be same for every school.

Years ago when Steve Logan was trying to build the program at ECU, he agreed to play some games on Friday night for the exposure and revenue from ESPN. High school coaches were furious and threatened to ban the ECU coaches from coming to their schools to talk to recruits and would not be attending their games with groups of players.. Other high school coaches/schools across the country felt the same way. Ever since then I have created a dislike of these ESPN Friday night games.

It looks like the Boise @ UVA game will be a Friday night game as well. Geez, I know the ACC will make more money from its ESPN contract with Friday night games, but at some point, it is time to say no, no matter how much money is involved, and this is one of those times. Friday nights should be left to high school kids. Most will never play college ball, this is their time to shine, and now they will be playing in front of fewer fans. This will definitely affect high school attendance, and no matter how much extra money is made, it is flat out the wrong thing to do.

I also would rather see Friday nites left for high school games. Seems to me Thursday, then Wednesday and then Tuesday nites, after a bye on Saturday, would be better.

I have no problem with it. I prefer Friday night games to Thursday night games. I usually enjoy a few beers while I watch VT football, can't really be doing that if you have to wake up early Friday morning to go to work. The whole HS football thing? I couldn't care less, I rarely attended HS football games when I was in HS and I've never watched a HS game since. Watching HS sports is like watching female basketball...it's just an inferior product.

This is how it is nowadays, football almost every night of the week, even the SEC plays weekday games.

Man , You're making Too Much Sense Here !!!! And you're 100 % Right. It here to Stay and I love It..

High school football is the purest form of football, the young men play for the love of the game . The NFL sucks, the only games I even consider watching are the ones involving Hokies. College football isn't a game anymore it's a business also, saddens me to see it come to this. Friday nights are for wars between Indians,Bobcats,Spartans, and Blue Demons.

This post was edited on 1/29 7:09 AM by 1bburgfan

Good post 1bburgfan. You should be voted "Poster of the Year".

The NCAA is slowly ruining college football with their love of money. I hope someday they wake up and realize it's about playing sports, not who can bring in the most money. And the NCAA needs to take away ESPN's control of college sports. College (and Pro) sports were better before anyone ever heard of ESPN.

Even if I say Ala sucks?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Yes, because in the end it's all about maintaining the integrity of sports at each level. The TV folks , conference commissioners and the NCAA president are all intent on destroying sports if it will put an extra dollar in their pocket.

Has anybody ever heard of recording an event? If you want to see your high school team play,record the Hokies and enjoy your local kids.

Originally posted by LakeErieHokie:
Has anybody ever heard of recording an event? If you want to see your high school team play,record the Hokies and enjoy your local kids.

Originally posted by LakeErieHokie:
It isn't about missing a Hokie game and recording it. It's about the high schools losing the money from the gates and concession sales. All the other sports in Montgomery County schools exist off football raised money. Just imagine how hard it is in Blacksburg and Christiansburg to compete with the Maroon and Orange Monster called Hokie Football for advertising and donations. I know you all mean well , but you don't live here and understand what losing 1/2 a gate for 1 of 5 home games can do. Let Whit miss 1 home game and reduce it to 5 home games and listen to the whining thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. I have missed 2 Hokie home games in 29 years and both games THE INDIANS were on the road in the playoffs , and they both were Wahoo games.
ONWARD INDIANS GO HOKIES in that order

Sooo why can't a HS team move their game to Thursday if it's such a big deal? I mean really, c'mon. Are you people seriously saying a D1 program should schedule their games AROUND a high school game? Really??

I'd imagine it's not very hard for to a tiny school like Blacksburg to just play on a Thursday once or twice a year if they are that worried about losing money. I know my HS played on nights other than Friday.

8th grade and JV play on Thursdays and have moved lots of games for Thursday Hokie Football. Also what about the people who work the home games should they be forced to miss their childs game. Why should we have to change because of D1 football . Play the D1 games on Tuesday or Wedensday.

Originally posted by 1bburgfan:

8th grade and JV play on Thursdays and have moved lots of games for Thursday Hokie Football. Also what about the people who work the home games should they be forced to miss their childs game. Why should we have to change because of D1 football . Play the D1 games on Tuesday or Wedensday.
Have to agree with 1bburg here. You have to consider the impact on high school playing on a day other than Friday. Impact on school day. The tradition is there for the kids to socialize after the game and that is hard to do on a school nite. Friday should be left to high school. Saturday is the traditional college day. Thursday night was OK too. Nothing wrong with moving it to Tuesday I guess. If ESPN wasn't such the monopoly it is you could schedule college games on Monday night and poach the NFL. That would teach them from scheduling Thursday night a traditionally college night. Or schedule Sunday games. Yes I know that would lower ratings but it works both ways. Start poaching the NFL for ratings and they would change their tune. BUT NO > >>>> ESPN owns both so they are not going to poach their own ratings.

Well it seems we have exact opposite views on this matter so we will just have to agree to disagree.

Another little fact , that I will bring up. Where are the asst coaches on Friday nights when we play on Saturday, the cords are at the Hotel Roanoke with the team, but the others are scattered out though out the state and the DC area recruiting FRIDAY NIGHT HIGH SCHOOL GAMES. Wonder where our competition will be recruiting while we are stuck playing on a Friday night ? How many recruits will miss their Friday night game to come to Blacksburg for Friday night game visit ? It's a no win situation except for the beer drinkers.

Go To Your High School game !!!! There is no reason for comparisons, Attendance for High School has been dropping off for years . I live in the NRV , and folks that go to these games have kids playing or it's a rival game. You like out it's a loss , So go to your High School game. Simple. Friday Night College Games are here to Stay , VT will have one this year and maybe none for awhile. Goodness !!!! And IF you want the Games on Tuesday or Wednesday. Go Buy you a network and Get the Money Ready ....

Common sense, (which Conference Commissioners and the NCAA have very little of), says that high school football is for Friday night and college football is for Saturdays. This is true regardless of what ESPN says. I wish the NCAA would reduce the power of ESPN.

Go To Your High School game !!!! There is no reason for comparisons, Attendance for High School has been dropping off for years . I live in the NRV , and folks that go to these games have kids playing or it's a rival game. You like out it's a loss , So go to your High School game. Simple. Friday Night College Games are here to Stay , VT will have one this year and maybe none for awhile. Goodness !!!! And IF you want the Games on Tuesday or Wednesday. Go Buy you a network and Get the Money Ready ....
There is no reason to play Fridays except GREED. Play the NC State game at noon on Fridays if you want. Maybe the drunks will throw less trash in my yard then

What HS game am I supposed to be going to? I'm a 30 year old guy who works and lives abroad. The only time I spent living in Virginia were my 4 years in Blacksburg when I attended VT. Not all of us are 50 year old dudes who live in the vicinity of where they attended HS or have children in HS. I couldn't care less about the attendance of a HS football game. As long as VT is on TV I really don't care what night of the week it is, though I'd prefer Friday over Thursday.

In many towns/communities Friday night is the biggest night of the week. high school football is the biggest thing in town, and in some, perhaps the only thing in town. We must remember that all college players came to the college from a high school team.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

In many towns/communities Friday night is the biggest night of the week. high school football is the biggest thing in town, and in some, perhaps the only thing in town. We must remember that all college players came to the college from a high school team.
Those sound like some seriously depressing towns to live in.

Not everyone lives in a big city. You might need to visit some small towns in SWVA on Friday nights during football season, then you might have a better appreciation for high school football.

I predict the NFL pushes more to have Thursday night games causing even more secondary problems with college and HS football on Fridays.

Don't drink and post!! Have you ever seen a plucked Hokie? :)

There is no reason to play Fridays except GREED. Play the NC State game at noon on Fridays if you want. Maybe the drunks will throw less trash in my yard then
OK if I make this game can I crash on your couch? I may even be willing to pick up some trash. :)

Don't know how to link from my phone but an article in the Raleigh paper today states that NC State told the ACC that they will NOT host any Friday night games out of respect to NC high schools. Apparently some other schools were concerned as well and were told that most of the Friday night games would be played at BC and Syracuse because most of their HS games are on Saturday morning.

We all can have our own opinion on the matter but they don't mean crap. The only opinion that matters is that of the high school folks. Piss them off and it can hurt your recruiting. Which is why our coaches refuse to play home games on Friday.

Originally posted by PACKed House:
Don't know how to link from my phone but an article in the Raleigh paper today states that NC State told the ACC that they will NOT host any Friday night games out of respect to NC high schools. Apparently some other schools were concerned as well and were told that most of the Friday night games would be played at BC and Syracuse because most of their HS games are on Saturday morning.

We all can have our own opinion on the matter but they don't mean crap. The only opinion that matters is that of the high school folks. Piss them off and it can hurt your recruiting. Which is why our coaches refuse to play home games on Friday.
Pack, I think that was the first time that ESPN purposed Friday night football to the ACC, some high school coaches in NC came out saying they wouldn't entertain any college coaches of schools that played on Friday nights. Then ND came along and the ACC redid the TV deal and agreed to 5 Friday night games a season with 1 always on Black Friday. I think your coaches now don't have a choice. It's to be done on a rotation basis.

Babcocks comments on the schedule

A part of the ACC's 15-year, $3.6 billion contract with ESPN is that every team will play at least one Friday night (but they don't have to host a Friday night game; most still will be at Boston College or Syracuse). This will be N.C. State's first ACC game on a Friday since 1995 and only fifth since the league was formed in 1953.

N.C. State assistant athletics director Fred Demarest said the school has told the ACC it will not host a Friday night game.

"We respect high school football in this state and we value our relationship with the coaches," Demarest said

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/01/29/4514470/acc-football-schedule-for-2015.html#storylink=cpyOK Whit , tell the ACC we don't and won't host a Friday night game. I enjoyed watching your son play 8th grade football last season, his Friday nights are around the corner.

N&O ACC schedule article

All NCAA schools need to tell ESPN they do not want to play of Friday nights.

I wish NCAA would re-structure to where they do not need ESPN's money. NCAA should govern college sports, not be a whipping post for ESPN.

Not everyone lives in a big city. You might need to visit some small towns in SWVA on Friday nights during football season, then you might have a better appreciation for high school football.

Yeah, go watch those Giles Spartans on a Friday night. Place is rocking.

Originally posted by VTSmitty:

Yeah, go watch those Giles Spartans on a Friday night. Place is rocking.

My 2nd favorite high school team , Go Big Red

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT