ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrod: Free Agent

SunnyBeachWave

Global Elite-Illuminatist
Gold Member
May 8, 2013
"Tyrod Taylor, quarterback[/B]: The Ravens drafted Keith Wenning in the sixth round last year for a reason. That likely spelled the end of Taylor's future with the team. Even if the Ravens don't think Wenning is ready to become the primary backup, they could probably find a one-year stopgap that's just as viable as Taylor. Chances of returning: 20 percent. "
-ESPN.COM

Where will Tyrod end up this year? I think the team that gets him will be getting a winner. If he can get a starting job so he can get some playing time, he's gonna develop in to something special.

Originally posted by SunnyBeachWave:
"Tyrod Taylor, quarterback[/B]: The Ravens drafted Keith Wenning in the sixth round last year for a reason. That likely spelled the end of Taylor's future with the team. Even if the Ravens don't think Wenning is ready to become the primary backup, they could probably find a one-year stopgap that's just as viable as Taylor. Chances of returning: 20 percent. "
-ESPN.COM

Where will Tyrod end up this year? I think the team that gets him will be getting a winner. If he can get a starting job so he can get some playing time, he's gonna develop in to something special.
He has the ability, I just hope for the best for him.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
Why would the Ravens let him go? Was he going to leave anyway?
The Ravens really like Tyrod, and drafted another QB last year only to
protect themselves and have a backup in the system for this coming year
in case Tyrod got a good offer elsewhere. The question is will he get a good offer elsewhere? A backup like Tyrod needed Flacco to get hurt, so he could have started a couple of games, and showed other teams what he could do. Like when a backup like Matt Flynn turned a good game with Green Bay into a big contract elsewhere.

But, just as it only takes one team to like a guy enough to draft him high, it also only takes one team to like a backup QB who has not played a lot enough to sign him as a free agent. Maybe Cincinnati if they finally get tired of Dalton being below average? If they are ready to move on from Dalton, and do not want to draft a QB, they will be looking at backups.

This past preseason TT seemed to be able to move the chains with his arm and his legs. I can remember his games against top competition like LSU, Miami and FSU from his college days where he excelled. I don't think he'll be like RG3 and get hurt often as a starter. Perhaps more like Drew Breez.

Originally posted by Hoos19NC:
Why would the Ravens let him go? Was he going to leave anyway?
I don't think they necessarily want to, but it all comes down to money, especially with the backup qb position. He's been a deal for them for 3 years but they likely projected that he's young and hungry and will seek out a starting job and more money, like most first time FA.. Over the past 3 years, the Ravens have resigned 40% of their free agents.

I think it's a good sign if they plan on losing him, because apparently they know he's capable and worthy as a future starter. His stats aren't anything special so far but he really hasn't had enough time to get in a groove either.

Originally posted by BigDaddyHokie:
This past preseason TT seemed to be able to move the chains with his arm and his legs. I can remember his games against top competition like LSU, Miami and FSU from his college days where he excelled. I don't think he'll be like RG3 and get hurt often as a starter. Perhaps more like Drew Breez.
Did you really just compare Tyrod to Dree Brees?

Originally posted by VTHokie1001K:

Did you really just compare Tyrod to Dree Brees?
Maybe not exactly Drew Brees but they both are about the same height which is a detriment in the NFL. Thing is that Tyrod is better than a number of the of guys who have been starting in the league. What a talent.

I am hoping TT will be like Drew Breez in that he is short by NFL standards and Breez seems to stay healthy year after year. That's all. I'll bet TT had more wins per starts in college than Breez.

Point A to Point B Accuracy. My favorite All Time Hokie is NOT a starter

Tyrod is tied for my favorite All Time Hokies along with Lee Suggs and Brandon Semones. Tyrod is not a future NFL starter in my opinion. He is a SOLID and top level backup (among the best) in my opinion. Tyrod is among the 100th best in the country (United States) regarding QB's that are accurate and throw the ball from point A to point B. He's among the top 10 in escaping with his feet and running ability. Also, he's a professional NFL QB and brilliant at reading defenses and coverage. You can not be elite and play at this level without being solid at coverage, defensive schemes, etc. What prevents Tyrod from being a starting NFL QB and among the 32 best in the world? ACCURACY. The ball going from point A to point B. In this area, he is not in the top 32 in the NFL. I've also said this multiple times AFTER Joe Montana said it first......regarding accuracy, you either have it or you don't. You work on "feet work, mechanics, throwing motion" etc. All of these are key and coachable, but at the end of the day, the ball still has to go from point A to point B at an alarmingly high rate. Accuracy is why Logan Thomas will never see the field as an NFL starter and it's the reason Gino Smith will be out of the league within 5 years. It is why Manuel (VA Beach-FSU-Buffalo Bills) will never start over 2 or 3 season in the NFL. Accuracy!

Re: Point A to Point B Accuracy. My favorite All Time Hokie is NOT a starter

Lucas, no arguments from me as you are probably correct. But I hope you are wrong.

I read an article the other day saying teams would struggle to find quality free agent QBs or draft QBs. It's a great year for him to test the market.

Ravens would keep him if Tyrod aspires to be a backup his entire career, which I don't think he really wants. It will be interesting to see where he lands.

How many of you remember Don Strock, our passing phenom who was a career backup in Miami.

He had a chance to shine in post season for Cleveland who got him out of retirement to quickly learn their O system to win at least one game in post season before getting hurt.

He retired a wealthy man but one wonders about what could have been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT