ADVERTISEMENT

VT BB Game against WF

leeanderthal

Hokie Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2006
Hey! We won the game ! Let's have a little positive chatter out of you guys. HR , where are you. Still floating on a cloud because your boy Super Sabin won the NC?

I thought this was a really good win for VT. Jolly has been telling me how improved they are and he is correct, Buzz has them playing hard and they are feeding off of their success right now. I know winning brings fans out but this team deserves to be supported right now, would be nice to see the stands start filling up for these young men. HR....I know you are not a BB fan but VT is putting a good product on the floor right now, support your boys.

Reactions: mrjolly01
I'm still trying to recover from having to live through the final minute last night. It was a fun game to watch -Wake is a lot better this year too. Hopefully Buzz can keep them playing with this kind of intensity. Whatever he said last night before the game apparently really sunk into several players, especially Bibbs - he turned up his game to a whole new level we haven't seen before. I think Tyrone must have jumped out of Hudson and on to Bibbs last night.

We're doing well with a lack of true depth that we should have next year with all the injured coming back whole and with our recruits. This is still a rebuilding year so I don't expect too much so any wins are great.

The Buzz hire is starting to pay off. True, neither NCSU nor Wake Forest are great teams, but the UVa win is still very good, and even the other two wins are impressive when you consider the last two years. I'll still be surprised if we manage to win more than 5 games in conference, but the improvement is visible and by next year with a healthy roster and a fuller cupboard I think the NIT is easily achievable.

I do not follow basketball as closely as football, baseball or softball. Apparently there are a lot of others who not follow BB.

Admittedly, I'm following basketball more than I have since the Charlie Moir days. I like Buzz's energy and drive and am looking forward to better things from the men's BB program.

That being said, my biggest take away is that the team fought with a toughness and determination that it really feels like Buzz is trying to instill in his players. Like he said, with this team, every game is going to be a fight. On nights where we're not fighting our hardest (Duke, WV), we're going to get beat. On nights where we keep fighting to the end, we have a chance (UVA, WF).

On paper, with the way WF was shooting, their rebounds, and our inability to cover the post and the perimeter, it looked like we should have lost.

That was offset, by decent penetration on the dribble which let us go 29 of 35 from the charity stripe, and a decent field goal percentage on our side of the ball.

It was a good game, but still clearly shows we need a lot more from the team in terms of ball pressure and being able to fight off ball screens and fast breaks.

Better days are ahead, I believe, and it looks like Buzz might be slightly ahead of schedule (in my opinion).

When the team is limiting turnovers, 6 against Wake, forcing turnovers, 16 by Wake, and driving the ball to the basket to pick up the fouls and FT attempts is when they give themselves the chance to win games like this. Wake is not a bad team - they carried a #51 RPI into the game with OOC wins over UCLA, Indiana, and LSU (and Ben Simmons). That's no slouch of a team. VT is playing without 3 players Buzz had said would have been providing 90 minutes of PT, including two key defenders in Hill and Clarke, so I would agree they are ahead of schedule, which is a testament to the job Buzz is doing and to the unsung depth and talent in his team. They will, and should, continue to be the underdog in most all of their remaining games, if not all of them, with BC being a road game. Wins will undoubtedly continue to be hard to come by, but I love what I am seeing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT