ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Two VT Officials Set***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I've been texting Rivals250 WR Grant Holloway over the past couple of days. He said he and two-star defensive end Patrick Jones, his teammate, will be taking official visits to VT Oct. 3 for the Pittsburgh game. Big weekend for the Hokies in recruiting, especially with the next weekend being a Friday game. Also visiting officially that weekend is Rivals250 CB Khalil Ladler. And though it's not been set, there's a very, very strong chance that Rivals250 DE Nick Coe visits the Hokies officially that weekend as well.

Plenty more to come when we confirm more info!

9th graders to watch.......

My close friend has twin boys that are in beast mode right now as 9th graders. They are both in the camp circuits already winning top gun honors at a camp somewhere in Tenn. They have visited Clemson, NC State, VT, Mizzou, and a few other places. Here are 2 LB's to keep an ear an eye on Blake and Brock Dalton. I was told they have 247 profiles but not sure about rivals. Just thought id share. They are all Hokies and that's where they want to end up but in the end it'll be who and where they have a scholarship. There dad is 6'5 300lb monster btw. Hopefully someone can find them and check it out.
Reactions: twoliter_hokies

***INsider: VT Defense, Other Updates***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I was at the weekly Blacksburg Sports Club luncheon today, where defensive coordinator Bud Foster was the keynote speaker. And as each coach who speaks usually does, Bud had some good tidbits with the Hokies.

*First, an injury update. Foster didn't give a timetable, but said senior quarterback Michael Brewer was back throwing yesterday during practice. Brewer has had a plate inserted on his collarbone to help stabilize it and speed up recovery. Brewer still isn't doing much and Foster said he believed Brewer had to be really sore today, but he did some individual work yesterday. It sounds like for now, this will be a couple of times a week thing, where Brewer does as much as he can throwing, but not actually doing much practicing. This makes it sounds like Brewer could be back towards the second half of next month at the earliest, though the safe bet is still by Georgia Tech in November.

**With sophomore linebacker Andrew Motuapuaka, Foster said he also did individual work yesterday, with a sprained MCL. Like Brewer, Motutpuaka is going slowly, but Foster said he expects to have him back as early as next week for Pittsburgh. At the very latest, Foster said Motuapuaka should be back by the NC State game Oct. 9, which would still be about a week ahead of schedule.

***Senior defensive tackle Corey Marshall has a sprained foot. So it sounds like his foot is actually a little worse, since it was diagnosed as plantar fasciitis last week. Foster said Marshall was a game time decision last week, but that his injury got worse last Wednesday and that's when they decided the likelihood of him playing wasn't high. It sounds like Marshall will again be a game time decision and that this week, he's going light in practice.

****The other injury Foster touched on was senior linebacker Ronny Vandyke. He has tendinitis in his foot and was apparently limping yesterday. Foster still said Vandyke is doing well and shouldn't miss any time.

*****Foster spent quite a bit of time talking about VT's defensive backs and how they're taught to play, as the question was asked. First off, Foster said he believed a cornerback on an island is the hardest position to play in football, but that he believes Torrian Gray is the best secondary coach in college football. Foster said DBs are taught a few different terms, such as 'in-phase' when a DB is hip to hip with a wide receiver. The Hokies tell their DBs that if they can pin the wide receiver towards the sideline, they have the freedom not to look back. A 'zone turn' is when a DB turns away from the receiver, while a 'man turn' is when the DB turns into the receiver. Foster said DBs sometimes get 'out of phase' when they panic and look back. Foster's rationale is that when a DB looks back, it creates separation, which he doesn't want. The DBs are taught to read the receiver's eyes and hands and high five the receiver's hand when he raises it. According to Foster, this isn't something only VT does, but rather something that is taught on all levels of football.

******In addressing all the penalties the Hokies have accumulated, Foster said not many have occurred defensively, which is a plus. He said he and the staff have addressed it. He didn't mention fines, but because that system no longer exists, Foster said that the staff has addressed penalties with up-downs. If someone is offsides in practice, the whole team stops and does up-downs. Foster said the day after games is when the game penalties are addressed and that offending players did up-downs "until we feel like we get our point across." He said he wants the Hokies to play aggressive but controlled aggressive.

*******Foster recapped the past three games and said the Purdue win was the most complete effort VT has had this season. He said the Hokies just didn't execute against Ohio State because the Buckeyes "are not 42 points-worth good. There's not a huge difference between them and us." Foster then said that Purdue's offense reminded him of Boston College. He specifically pointed out Sean Huelskamp and Adonis Alexander for their efforts. Overall, though, Foster said that "Any time you feel good about yourself, you get your tail knocked off."

********Finally, Foster shared a couple of childhood stories that his mother had apparently passed on to someone at the sports club. Apparently when his family moved to St. Louis, many of the people there had nicknames. Foster's nickname was "Turk" because he could move his head like a turkey. And the other story that drew laughs was that when he was very young and living in Macomb, IL, his family had a pear tree. Foster and some of his friends thought it would be funny to find the rotten pears and throw them at passing cars. But one time, apparently someone stopped and started coming after them. The boys all ran to the house and acted like they were playing cards. The guy topped following them, but they confessed to Foster's mother what they were doing.
Reactions: Salemite

20 years ago Today!!!!!!

September 23,1995 in Blacksburg, VA Your Hokies were in the Big East. They were playing Miami who was also in the Big East. Miami had beaten you repeatedly over the years winning 12 matchups at the time. It all changed on this day when your unranked team UPSET MIAMI 13-7 for your first ever win over the Canes. In the years to follow until now your team has been one who has been a Huge Thorn for the Hurricanes coming from the Big East to the ACC. Miami still leads the series 19-13 but your Coach Frank Beamer himself has a overall record of 13-11 over Miami and 13-7 over since they made this Monumental Win in your school History! ! ! ! ! ! ! So today HOKIE HAVEN AND FANS I wanna salute you and say Happy Anniversary......... I'm a FSU fan and we have a common enemy hope you enjoyed me sharing this with you.
Reactions: SunnyBeachWave

Post-practice: Alexander, Durkin & more

Hey guys! I just finished up practice and wanted to give you guys a few things from practice before I start writing my story from post-practice interviews:

- Rover Adonis Alexander is "a special guy" but he still "has some learning to do" according to defensive coordinator Bud Foster.
- Defensive tackle Corey Marshall is on and off in practice. Foster said he has a strained arch in his foot. He is limited throughout practice and despite the tenderness to his foot, he's working more and more throughout practice.
- Chris Durkin is an all-around athlete according to tight end coach Bryan Stinespring. He has been taking snaps and Stinesprin says that Durkin knows both the quarterback position and tight end spot very well.
- Cornerback Kendall Fuller is the reason as to why Der-Woun Greene has been such a huge asset to the special teams -- he kept pushing him and putting words in for him with the coaches.

Check back for more with my story from today's post-practice interviews.

***9.25 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, I'll be traveling towards Greenville, NC tomorrow for the game on Saturday. The chat will be tomorrow (Friday), though I'm moving it up a half hour for my travel. So we'll get going at noon ET. As always, though, we've got TONS to talk about with the Hokies, including their 2-1 start, game this weekend, injuries, recruiting and any other questions you've got. Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and join us for the chat!

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1iyAqiU

And a reminder, if you can't make the chat, you can always catch the replay, post a question on The Gobbler or email me directly.

***INsider: Chris Hunt Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Bayside (Va.) 2017 two-star safety Chris Hunt. We've got him ranked No. 23 in VA for the 2017 class, but right now, he has just one offer, from Charlotte.

This is a kid to keep an eye on because of the guys Bayside has produced, because his teammate, Phil Patterson, is committed to the Hokies and because Hunt has the potential to be a pretty good player. He visited VT for the first time for the Ohio State game, with Patterson. Hunt said he loved the atmosphere and seeing everything with the game.

As far as an offer, Hunt said he's talked fairly often with assistant coach Zohn Burden. And Hunt said Burden told him that he likes him a lot, more as a receiver than DB. Burden also told him he liked his size. Hunt said that the feeling is mutual, that he likes the hokies a lot.

The only other visit Hunt has made this season was to Virginia two weeks ago for the Notre Dame. Hunt called that game "one of the best games I've seen in my entire life." He also likes how Trey Nicholson and Quin Blanding have gone there and what they've done.

Hunt said he'll likely visit Norfolk State this weekend, but the only other places he's been are North Carolina and Duke. Early for sure, granted that he has just one offer, but VT and UVA are with each other at the top. He's got friends on both sides talking to him, including Patterson for the Hokies.

***INsider: Patrick Jones Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Grassfield (Va.) DE Patrick Jones. He's still on the board for the Hokies as a possible option on the D-line. Jones said he still has the same 11 offers.

Jones was on hand for VT's season-opener for Ohio State. Jones said he loved the atmosphere and that he loves the coaching staff and what he's talked about with assistants Bryan Stinespring and Charley Wiles. Jones also liked seeing how the defensive ends were used in the game and how he'd fit.

Jones isn't a big talker, but said he's still open to everyone. He hasn't set any more visits, but said he wants to use two of his official visits to California and NC State. Jones hasn't set any dates yet and will likely still take an official to VT. But he did say that he wants to make a decision by the end of November.

It's hard to say who is in the lead now, but the Hokies are in good shape. He thinks Kansas State will be next to offer, but the Wolfpack are right there with VT. The Hokies are also keeping tabs on Nick Coe and JaQuan Bailey. But Jones is another option, as they definitely want to take at least one defensive lineman with the remaining few spots in the 2016 class.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT