ADVERTISEMENT

Made It To Indiana!

Guys, I apologize for not being active on the board, but it's been a haul getting up here. I landed at Midway after a 40 minute delay to a flash flood. A few streets in Chicago are under water. I'm staying in Merellville, a little over an hour away and it's still raining steady right now. Sounds like the rain will be gone for the game, but could be a bit soggy. I'll start the chat at 3 and if I can get a good enough connection I'll do a Periscope chat when VT takes the field. Talk to you all tomorrow!
Reactions: SunnyBeachWave

***INsider: Cole Beck***

Guys, I spoke earlier with probably the next big local product here in the NRV to keep an eye on, Blacksburg (Va.) 2018 RB/safety Cole Beck. He's obviously been to VT a ton through the years and was also on hand at the Ohio State game last week.

Beck doesn't have any offers yet, but camped a lot this summer to get noticed. He was at VT, Virginia, South Carolina, James Madison and Towson. And he's also gotten interest from West Virginia, NC State, Clemson and Marshall.

Beck said he loved the Ohio State game and said "it was just wild." Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler has been the one recruiting Beck and told him to keep working and that the staff would be watching.

Originally, Beck is from Bluefield, but moved to Blacksburg about five or six years ago. This year, he's averaging 4.9 yards a carry as a running back. He's also a kick returner and last season, had 74 tackles at safety. Also important to note is his speed. His father said Beck ran a 4.43 handimed 40-yard dash at West Virginia this summer at camp. Beck competed in the New Balance Nationals earlier this year, where he placed third in the 100m dash.

VERY early here, but this is the kid in the backyard for VT to keep an eye on. He's not set on the Hokies and will look around, but we're talking about a likely three-star kid who depending on how he grows and matures could be even more.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Pete Leota Deciding

Guys, I'm sure you've seen it posted elsewhere, but Asheville (NC) two-star OL Pete Leota is announcing his commitment at 11:30 AM tomorrow. I haven't posted it because Leota is about 80-90% South Carolina. The Gamecocks and Hokies are his final two. We'll see tomorrow morning, but don't hold your breath on this one, despite him visiting last week for the Ohio State game.

***INsider: Derrek Pitts Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with South Charleston (WV) four-star safety Derrek Pitts. He was on hand for the VT/Ohio State game last week, after visiting VT for the July 26 camp. Pitts is No. 226 in the 2017 Rivals250.

Pitts said it was "a nice experience." He said it was also his first time being at a big time college game. When Pitts visited for the camp, he toured the facilities, Lane Stadium and saw the locker rooms, press box, etc. He told me he got to the game only a little over an hour before kickoff, so he didn't get to do much past watch the game, but he loved the experience.

Pitts also reconnected with assistant coach Torrian Gray. Pitts said that every time they talk, 'the relationship grows." He also said he respects Gray because he doesn't feel pressured with him and he encourages him to take in a lot of stuff in his recruitment.

A few days before the VT visit, Pitts went to Marshall for the Purdue game. He said the crowd was crazy, but it sounds like nothing compared to the atmosphere at VT. The Herd will be a contender just because of being an in-state school, but the odds there are very slim.

Pitts has no plans for more visits right now, but said he wants to see at least five more games this fall. He listed LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Maryland and West Virginia as the five he wants to see most. Auburn was the first to offer and with West Virginia being in-state, those are likely the top two competitors for VT, but getting him twice on visits in a month in a half is pretty big. Good shape here for the Hokies.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***INsider: Defense Updates***

Guys, I made it to the Blacksburg Sports Club luncheon again this afternoon, as the guest speaker was assistant coach Charley Wiles. He's always a great speaker and always sheds some details as well.

*Most importantly, Wiles gave an update on injuries. Yesterday Brittany posted here that senior defensive end Dadi Nicolas came to interviews with his knee wrapped. Wiles said Nicolas got "a little nicked up," but other than that, he should be good to go for Purdue. Sounds like he'll go light in practice the next couple of days, though.

**Some other notable injuries Wiles mentioned are that senior defensive tackle Corey Marshall has plantar fasciitis in his foot. Yesterday, Wiles said he couldn't push off the foot in practice.

***Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Steve Sobczak has turf toe. He didn't practice yesterday. Also, a few players are having to miss practice because of class. Vinny Mihota, Deon Clarke and Dahman McKinnon are all missing practice today.

****Wiles mentioned sophomore linebacker Andrew Motuapuaka, who VT announced Monday has a sprained left MCL. Wiles said the prognosis is right at four weeks. He compared the injury to the one that Chase Williams had last year when he missed time. Sean Huelskamp will start, with freshman Carson Lydon as the backup.

*****Wiles mentioned the second stringers on defense and said the guy he's been most impressed with is junior defensive tackle Woody Baron. He said Sobczak also has made a lot of plays. And he's not second team, but Wiles said Tim Settle has played well on the scout team, but obviously will be redshirting this season.

Post-practice interviews

Hey guys! Just wanted to give you guys some quick tidbits after post-practice interviews.

- After talking to Coach Bud Foster it looks like redshirt sophomore Sean Huelskamp will be taking over for Andrew Motuapuaka due to a left knee sprain that will keep Motuapuaka sidelined for 4-6 weeks.
- Foster also said that freshman Carson Lydon would be behind Huelskamp.
- Offensive lineman Wyatt Teller and his "meat tenderizer" made an appearance at post-practice interviews. He said it is called the "Fool's Hammer."
- Teller also said that the reason that he cut off his mullet was because his mom told him to
- Defensive end Dadi Nicolas also came to interviews in street clothes and a wrapped up knee.

Check out my story on post-practice interviews tomorrow morning to get more details about the Hokies' defense!
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT