ADVERTISEMENT

We're not dead yet...

After a really slow start to this game, Motley opened up downfield and hit some huge throws. Kid has a big arm, and when he's settled in the pocket, seems to have really good accuracy. He was even scanning the field looking for receivers in the 3rd qtr, so I think he got most of his butterflies out.

Lawson had one series where he was overpowering his throws into the dirt, but then even he settled down and showed some nice throws downfield.

And both kids can definitely run it.

Durden didn't get any pass plays called for him, but he ran like fullback, making it three huge QBs that can run the ball.

I don't know what Loeffler will end up doing with all this, but we do have several replacement pieces available that we can definitely work with.

Hokie playback

For anyone interested, if you get CSNMA (mid-atlantic), they will be showing Hokie playback of the game at 1:00 Sunday. I'll be listening to the game on the radio, and set the game to record for later. It's on the standard def channel, so if you have your guide set to only hi-def channels, you'll have to go to the "all channels" guide.

About the coaching

Boy, that Frenchie over at The Key Play really knows his X's and O's. I can remember when he was National Coach of the Year at.... um... help me out here Knawaz, it slipped my mind. I can't wait for Whit to fire Bud and hire French. I'm sure he's on the short list. The coaching was so bad that they had an unranked VT team leading at halftime against the first ever unanimous preseason #1 team. Meyer made a great halftime adjustment, though..."get Brewer out of the game". Since OSU's coaching was so superior, I guess if they had our players, and our coaches had theirs, they still would have won....NOT!

Is it really so hard to give the devil his due? Corey Marshall was man enough. " We were really prepared for this game, but man, they really have some playmakers." Case in point- when Miller made that crazy TD run, we had a guy (D. Clarke) exactly where he was supposed to be, but he couldn't make the play. Marshall was hustling his ass off, trying to make the tackle downfield, but Miller made the spin move and was gone. Maybe he WILL give VT some credit if he wins the Heisman, he's good enough (you know who this is for). And so is Elliott, and Barrett, and Jones, if they played on different teams where they could get enough touches.

If you want to complain about the recruiting, there's a case for that. But all these people talking as if they know so much more than our staff... what a bunch of pompous asses. There are some here who used to be thoughtful posters, but who are unfortunately buying into the Hatetrain that has infiltrated this board.

Chris Durkin Possibility

Guys, I mentioned it on the chat earlier, but there is definitely a possibility that redshirt sophomore Chris Durkin could play elsewhere besides quarterback. Durkin will get a shot at quarterback and will likely play at some point tomorrow against Furman.

But the VT staff is currently weighing the option of using Durkin in more of an H-back role. Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler, who recruited Durkin, believes that he's too good of an athlete to not use in some capacity.

Nothing is set in stone, but it's certainly something to watch going forward.

Farrell Nails it

"The Hokies don't currently have any of the state of Virginia's top 10 committed for 2016 and landed only two in 2015 and 2014 respectively. And when local stars such as Jonathan Allen, Josh Sweat, Derrick Green, Da'Shawn Hand, Jalyn Holmes, Derrick Nnadi and Levonta Taylor keep getting away, it's a perception problem that carries over. Heck, UVa has had more big-time in-state commits over the last few years than the Hokies and it is 11-26 in its last 37 games. Something needs to change, either the approach or perhaps new blood. Now prove to me I'm wrong."​

Since 2008 when we lost out on all of the top QB's in the state of VA I've stated that VT recruiting simply isn't good. I try to be circumspect about it because I don't know all of the reasons why recruiting has taken a nose dive, but it has... big time. We find ourselves in the company of Houston, Wake Forest, and Miss St. We also find ourselves in the company of Nebraska which is probably something Beamer never could have imagined he would see in his life-time.

VT doesn't have a scheme problem. VT simply does not have the athletic and physical talent that play callers can take advantage, which in turn makes the play calling look good. A lot of the success on the field is about putting the best players in a position to make things happen.

The last two years were a step in the right direction, but we probably have 4 solid contributors in this class. That's to my chagrin because really only 2 would have seen the field between 1995 and 2008.

That fact that for almost a decade we have missed on the big time recruits in our state is absolutely infuriating. The fact that we might pick up only 1 top 10 recruit in the state of VA over two years is mind-boggling.

The facilities are fabulous. The school support is in the top tier. The schedule is great. The position coaching is very good (NFL scouts like our coaches!!). Is what's missing perception? Buzz? People say Beamer's age is used against him, but recruiting has been down for almost 10 years. Why can't we convince any of best recruits to stay and play for their home state? What were we able to do with Tyrod?
Reactions: Travishicks225
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT