ADVERTISEMENT

The latest with 4-star Fuller

I was at Old Tappan High School yesterday to watch 4-star Jordan Fuller practice. Afterwards we talked about what's next in his recruitment. Fuller said that Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Stanford, TCU, Rutgers, Virginia Tech and UCLA are all in the mix. He has not set any official visits yet but expect him to reveal a short list as soon as next week.

Video: The latest with 4-star Fuller

***INsider: Shane Beamer***

Guys, as many of you know, I'm involved with the Blacksburg Sports Club and each week, a coach speaks at the weekly luncheon. This week, the guest was Shane Beamer. Here's some notes of what he said:

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

*QB Michael Brewer has been in the coaches' offices each of the last few days. His mother has stayed with him this week and will stay through part of next week to help him. Beamer said Brewer has vowed to the staff that he'll return for the NC State game, Oct. 9, but I'd say that's wishful thinking.

**Beamer said the Hokies had more 'legit' recruits Monday night than he's ever seen them have. Beamer said the feedback the past few days has been great and they've all been talking about the atmosphere. Also thought I would note that with the travel schedule, the next time each of the assistants will be out on the road recruiting, watching games will be the Friday before the East Carolina game, Sept. 25.

***Shane said he was pleased for the most part with the play of the offensive line on Monday. He specifically spotlighted Wyatt Teller, who he said had one hold, but also 14 knockdown blocks. That's twice as many as any other VT offensive lineman. Beamer also thought Yosuah Nijman played well, aside from the miscommunication between him and Augie Conte, that led to the hit on Brewer that broke his collarbone. The seventh OL remains Parker Osterloh, while he said he thinks Eric Gallo needs to correct his low snaps. There were no pre-snap penalties, though, which was big.

****Beamer said he believed the Hokies brought kickoffs out of the end zone too much last season. He cited making better decisions and better blocks. One of those decisions should have been made by Travon McMillian, who stiff armed Ohio State's kicker on one return. Beamer wanted him to outrun the kicker and not worry about a stiff arm, to let the defense catch up.

*****Injury wise, Beamer said aside from Brewer there were no major injuries from the Ohio State game. He said Sam Rogers rolled his ankle and Kendall Fuller and Mook Reynolds are a little 'banged up' but will play Saturday.

***9.11 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, it looks like this will be my only opportunity for a 3 pm chat this month, so for this week's chat, we'll be at that time on Friday. But LOTS going on, after the wave of recruits on hand at the Ohio State game Monday, plus plenty going on at quarterback and on defense. Take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and come chat with us!

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1EQozXT

Also, this is another test run, to see if we will continue to have chats at 3 or go back to our 12:30 slot.

HEADS UP: The next two weeks, the chats will be at 12:30 pm Thursday because of my traveling to Purdue and East Carolina.

***INsider: Justin Foster On VT Visit***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Crest (NC) 2017 four-star LB Justin Foster, No. 43 in the 2017 Rivals100 and No. 1 player in North Carolina. He was on hand Monday for the Ohio State game, the first time back since the July 26 VT camp.

Foster said he loved the atmosphere. This was the first game he'd been to at VT and safe to say, the Hokies are in better position now. "Just how the game was, it was pretty loud and pretty great," he said. Foster said he arrived at VT late in the afternoon, a few hours before the game and in time to eat in the dining hall with all the coaches and players. Foster said he did leave in the fourth quarter, to get home at a better time and to avoid some traffic.

In the past few days, Foster said he's touched base with assistant coach Shane Beamer on Twitter. Beamer thanked him for coming and Foster said if Michael Brewer didn't get hurt, the game would have likely been different.

When I talked to Foster at the July 26 camp, he told me the three schools stood out: VT, Tennessee and Clemson. That's still the case. Foster actually visited Clemson Saturday for the game against Wofford. He said the trip was great talked to a lot of the coaches and a number of the players there that he knows. With Tennessee, Foster is actually visiting this weekend for the Oklahoma game. Foster said he likes it there "a lot" but he wants to get a better feel this weekend.

Still pretty early here, but VT sounds to be in great position, getting him on campus twice in about a month and a half. No other visits planned right now, but some time this fall, he wants to visit LSU, Florida and Alabama. Foster said official cuts will be coming after the season.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Key Player Injuries in ACC

Who would have thought that there would be injuries among several key players in the ACC so early on in the season?! Well... I guess that is just the sport of football.

Of course, beginning with Virginia Tech, Michael Brewer is out with a collarbone injury in the home opener game against Ohio State. Similarly, East Carolina University lost their starting quarterback, sophomore Kurt Benkert, to a season-ending knee injury which happened during practice. Duke lost their starting cornerback, junior Bryon Fields, to a knee injury as well during practice. University of Miami's junior running back Gus Edwards is out for the season due to a foot injury. The Pittsburgh Panther's junior running back James Conner will miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury during Saturday's game.

It is terrible that so many prominent players in college football have all gotten hurt at the very beginning of the 2015 season. I would like to know your thoughts going forward. When do you think Michael Brewer will be back in action? Do you think all of these players in the ACC that are out with injuries will give us a leg up even though our starting quarterback is out? What do you think?

***INsider: Landon Dickerson On VT Visit***

Guys, I just got off the phone with South Caldwell (NC) four-star OL Landon Dickerson, No. 59 in the Rivals100. As most of you know by now, Dickerson is the Hokies' top target left for the 2016 class and he was on hand for the game last night.

I spoke to Dickerson for a few minutes before the game, but wanted to get the full scoop on his visit. He said he didn't go to school today, since he got home at 3:30 and said he wouldn't have been able to focus all day.

This was the third VT game Dickerson had been to. He was also at the Georgia Tech and Virginia games last season. This time, Dickerson said what stood out was the atmosphere. "That's the loudest game I've ever been to," he said.

Dickerson said he spoke briefly with assistant coach Stacy Searels before the game. Searels summoned him and OL Pete Leota over to where the VT OL was warming up before the game. Dickerson said Searels told him how glad he was that he came and that he reiterated how much he hopes he's a Hokie.

Dickerson will be taking his first official visit this weekend, to Michigan. After that, he'll be taking officials to Florida State Oct. 10 and Auburn Nov. 28. He also plans to go to the Georgia/South Carolina game, as well as the Georgia/Tennessee game. No plans on a further cutdown or commitment right now.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

THANK YOU!

Guys, just wanted to say a huge thanks to everyone who came to our tailgate Monday! Uncle Tom (Hokies73) had the grill fired up as always and we had four trays of wings from Bull & Bones. It was great getting to socialize and talk with you guys and I hope to see you all at some point this season! If Tom will have us, we'll be going again before every game.

A Few Thoughts...

Gotta first take note that there has been very little "meltdown" on the board after Monday's loss to OSU. Might be a first time for this board!!!

I thought the defense looked really, really bad despite the obvious talent OSU possesses on offense. I can't remember the last time we had zero sacks in a game under Bud Foster. Our secondary, including Fuller, were beaten time after time. Our defensive line that has been hailed as maybe the best since 1999 was absolutely manhandled at the point of attack and our LB's had difficulty getting off of blocks and had very few positive plays. Hopefully OSU is just that far superior to everyone else in college football this year.

I thought Brewer was having a really good game before we lost him. The offense wasn't spectacular but it was very consistent and I give Loeffler some credit for making some pretty nice play calls. I think THAT was the team we expected, When Brewer went out that changed everything about what would or could have happened those final 2 quarters. I don't think the outcome would have been the "beatdown" that it ended up becoming.

Now that Brewer is out for an extended time, I'm firmly on the Dwayne Lawson bandwagon. He needs to get a crash course on that playbook and get on the field and LEARN...for next year.

I think this year can still turn out ok.

Am I the only one who thinks..

with a few good bounces we can make it to November a sneaky 8-1?

- should make it through September without losing. This will give whoever (personally I think it will be Lawson's show. Durkin is suffering back issues)

- open October at home with Pitt who is lacking James Conner - winnable

- next week is State in lane on Friday Night. Will be tough but again winnable.

Close with Miami and BC On the road. Is it really that far fetched to see this?

I walked away Monday thinking we have more talent at all positions than we have had in a long long time. Anyone who doesn't think our defense will dominate the rest of the year is just plain dumb. There is a reason bud is considered one of the best in the game - and it is because he makes adjustments. September is the month we figure it out.

Offensively I like our backs. I think this is Shai's show. We have talent catching the ball and our line play is better than it has been. Again, give it the month of September to let the QB play figure itself out.

Get to November at 8-1 and brewer back....who knows how this season could turn out it is a LONG season.

BURN. THE. SHIRT.

or burn the season?

With Motley we have zero chance at the Coastal this year. JMO.
I'm assuming the same with Lawson (and the other backups).

So, I'm asking, which one is most likely to start next year?
Given all that our coaches know and intuit, whom do they see under center @ Bristol?

THAT guy is MY guy THIS year.​

CSL, earn your next raise, bud.

Just watched the first half

This is a damn good team we have. We moved the ball at will after the first drive or 2. Mix in the few dropped passes we had and we basically did what we wanted to do with Brewer in there. I will say this, Brewer was way too amped up. A ton of his passes were a split second behind the receiver.

The defense started to get spent as the 2nd half progresses (ok, I know they scored right off the bat). I really think the loss of Brewer was the nail in the tire for the defense. He's a leader and we lost him. The defense knew we were doomed.

We bring back Shai this week. Hopefully we can see some hope from our younger QB's (specifically Lawson and Durkin).

Let's go! Hokies!

OMG!

Listening to ESPN and all these analysis today is hard to take. Like we got blown out etc! We were moving the ball just fine and may got FG and or a TD on Brewers drive. The game clearly changed after Brewer got hurt. And that isn't being a homer. Gosh hard to take these guys with agendas!!
Reactions: tyhokie880

Where are you watching OSU/VT?

Anybody actually going to the game? If not where are you watching it at?

I wanted to get tickets but too expensive for me this year. I have class at my school in NOVA Tuesday morning anyway, just wouldn't work out. I may hit Buffalo Wild Wings though, that's my favorite place to watch games. If not, I'll probably get some food here at the house with the best view possible, from the recliner :)

I have been looking forward to this game for awhile like many of you, hope you all enjoy the game and I sure would like to see VT come out on top again!!

***INsider: Recruit Visitors For Ohio St***

Guys, as promised, I've been compiling the recruits who have said they will be attending Virginia Tech's game against Ohio State on Monday. This is a very fluid list, as always, guys will be changing their plans for various reasons. I'll be updating the list as I get confirmation. Recruiting coach listed at the end:

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Official Visitors:
TE Jovani Haskins, Bergenfield (NJ), four stars, No. 8 TE, No. 9 in NJ -- Brown

Unofficial Visitors:
OL Landon Dickerson, South Caldwell (NC), four stars, No. 59 in Rivals100, No. 3 OG -- Searels
LB Jaquan Yulee, Indian River (Va.), four stars, No. 165 in Rivals250 -- ALA COMMIT -- Stinespring
DE Josh Brown, Mallard Creek (NC), four stars, No. 17 WDE, -- FSU COMMIT -- Beamer
DE Jimmie Taylor, Southwest-Onslow (NC), three stars, No. 25 WDE, No. 24 in NC -- VT COMMIT
WR Divine Deablo, Mt Tabor (NC), three stars, No. 72 WR, No. 18 in NC -- VT COMMIT -- Wiles
WR Phil Patterson, Bayside (Va.), three stars, No. 99 WR, No. 18 in VA -- VT COMMIT -- Burden
WR Samuel Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 12 in SC -- VT COMMIT -- Beamer
LB Tavante Beckett, Indian River (Va,), three stars, No. 21 in VA -- VT COMMIT -- Stinespring
WR Eric Kumah, Forest Park (Va.), three stars, No. 22 in VA -- VT COMMIT -- Foster
WR Ian Boyd, Apex (NC), three stars, No. 36 in NC -- Wiles
DE JaQuan Bailey, Raines (Fla.), three stars -- Wiles -- FLORIDA COMMIT
DT Jamari Logan, Booker T Washington (Va.), two stars -- Burden
LB Victor Greene, Courtland (Va.), two stars, No. 45 in VA -- VT COMMIT -- Foster
OL Pete Leota, Asheville (NC), two stars, No. 49 in NC -- Searels
LB Emmanuel Belmar, Collins Hill (Ga.), two stars -- VT COMMIT -- Gray
OL Thomas Jarrett Hopple, Nansemond River (Va.), two stars -- VT COMMIT -- Searels
DE Patrick Jones, Grassfield (Va.) -- Stinespring
Safety Devon Hunter, Indian River (Va.), four stars, No. 26 in 2017 Rivals100, No. 3 safety -- Stinespring
LB Justin Foster, Crest (NC), four stars, No. 43 in 2017 Rivals100, No. 2 OLB, No. 1 in NC -- Beamer/Foster
WR Ryan Jones, Mallard Creek (NC), four stars, No. 145 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 21 WR -- Beamer
DE Tyjuan Garbutt, Riverbend (Va.), four stars, No. 171 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 3 WDE -- Foster
LB Ellis Brooks, Benedictine (Va.), four stars, No. 212 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 15 OLB, No. 7 in VA -- Beamer
DT Grant Gibson, Mallard Creek (NC), four stars, No. 218 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 15 DT -- Beamer
Safety Derrek Pitts, South Charleston (WV), four stars, No. 226 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 17 safety -- Gray
DE Yetur Matos, Chancellor (Va.), four stars, No. 236 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 6 WDE -- Foster
DE Jake Lawler, South Mecklenburg (NC), four stars, No. 244 in 2017 Rivals250, No. 8 WDE -- Beamer
LB Dylan Rivers, Sherando (Va.), (2017), three stars, No. 11 ILB, No. 12 in VA -- Gray
Safety Xavier McKinney, Roswell (Ga.) (2017), three stars, No. 18 safety, No. 27 in GA -- Gray
DE Chase Young, Dematha (Md.) (2017), three stars, No. 11 WDE, No. 9 in MD -- Burden
OL Seth Harrell, Grassfield (Va.) (2017), three stars, No. 14 OG, No. 12 in VA -- NO OFFER -- Stinespring
OL TJ Moore, Mallard Creek (NC) (2017), three stars, No. 14 in NC -- NO OFFER -- Beamer
OL Eric Douglas, Mallard Creek (NC) (2017), three stars, No. 17 in NC -- NO OFFER -- Beamer
QB Shon Mitchell, Oscar Smith (Va.) (2017), three stars, No. 18 in VA -- Stinespring
QB Alex Faniel, Glen Allen (Va.) (2017), three stars, No. 19 in VA -- Beamer
LB Dorian Etheridge, Capital (WV) (2017), three stars, No. 3 in WV -- Gray
CB Jacobe Clement, South Mecklenburg (NC), (2017) three stars, No. 15 in NC -- Beamer
RB PK Kier, Millbrook (Va.) (2017), three stars, No. 17 in VA -- NO OFFER-- Gray
CB Madison Cone, East Forsyth (NC) (2017), three stars, No. 24 in NC -- Beamer
LB Rayshard Ashby, LC Bird (Va.) (2017), three stars -- Beamer
Safety Chris Hunt, Bayside (Va.) (2017), two stars, No. 23 in VA -- NO OFFER -- Burden
OL Stefan Touani, Oxon Hill (Md.) (2017) -- NO OFFER
RB Ricky Slade, Hylton (Va.) (2018) -- Foster
LB Teradja Mitchell, Bayside (Va,) (2018) -- Burden
TE Zack Kuntz, Camp Hill (Pa.) (2018) -- Loeffler
WR Daniel George, Oxon Hill (Md) (2018) -- Burden
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT