ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: Zack Kuntz Update***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Camp Hill (Pa.) 2018 tight end Zack Kuntz. This is a kid who at already 6'7" and 210 pounds has the makings of a Rivals100 player when the rankings for his class are released next year.\\

Kuntz only has four offers right now, from VT, Penn State, Maryland and West Virginia. The offer from the Nittany Lions came only over the weekend, when he visited for a game. That's kind of a surprise, since two of his older brothers played there, including one who was a walk-on until this season. So Kuntz has made numerous trips there through the years. He's the youngest of five children, with a sister who runs track and plays basketball at Westchester (Pa.) and another older brother.

But this one isn't all Penn State. Kuntz visited VT for the July 26 camp and then was on hand with his dad for the Hokies' game against Ohio State. Kuntz said he loved the game, the atmosphere and the fireworks and cannon being shot off.

Kuntz has talked with offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler. It sounds like Kuntz has liked what he's heard, though it's mostly been about school his family and grades. Overall, Kuuntz said he liked the campus and that he liked VT more than he thought he would.

It's still extremely early here. Aside from VT and Penn State, he's only been to Duke and that was for a visit over the summer. Kuntz has no other visits planned, but wants to visit Maryland, Ohio State and Michigan next. To add to what kind of athlete Kuntz is, he also plays basketball and won four district titles in track last spring, in the 110m hurdles, 300m hurdles, 4x100 relay and 4x400 relay. So the Hokies have done good by not only offering early, but getting him to visit twice in less than two months. Great start so far, but long way to go.

First time hitting 50 points since Tyrod's days...

...overall a good win today. I'm not a big fan of Motley still being in the game throwing a TD pass with 2:00 left, but our offensive coaches are geniuses, so I trust that they have it all figured out.

Some observations...

1) The punt block was a fluke caused by an errant snap that moved the punter over 5 yards, and even then, it was just a finger tipper.

2) Motley was solid and for the second straight game, the offense moved the ball fairly crisply. However, Motley looked like he was ready for a nap and a day off before the 1st quarter was even over with. Making it all the way to halftime looked like it was one of the greatest feats of physical endurance of all time. What was that all about?

3) Why pull the redshirt on Lawson if this is all we're going to use him for? Oh wait...I forgot that our offensive coaches are geniuses.

4) I still hate our sideways running game. At this rate, we're going to have 4 one thousand yard rushers in East/West yardage, but no one thousand yard rushers in North/South yardage. The sideways stuff has worked OK against Furman and Purdue, but it's going to be the last 4 years all over again once we hit some real defenses.

5) The score doesn't agree, but Purdue didn't look to me like one of the worst teams of all time. I think their fans were doing some sandbagging last week. It even worked for a half.

6) I can't believe we actually hit a FG in this game. Not all of them, mind you, but we did hit one.

7) The big kick returns were nice to see, but none of the current returners seem to have home run speed, which looks strange for a VT team. We usually have our fastest guys back there, but not this year.

8) After seeing some of the rest of the Coastal today, we are still right in the middle of this thing. It looks to me like we can beat (or lose to) every Coastal team out there this year. GT and Duke looked worse than expected, UVa and Miami looked better than expected, and it's hard to tell yet with UNC. I haven't seen Pitt yet.

Not happy with the rush defense so far...

359 yards to Ohio State.
136 yards to Furman.
144 yards to Purdue.

My minimal math skills tells me that is 213 yards allowed per game so far. That is not good. On the other hand the pass defense is pretty stellar. 213 yards to Ohio State. 118 yards to Furman. 121 yards to Purdue. Only giving up 150 through the air. And our 3rd down defense is also spectacular. So far in 3 games we've held our opponents to a total of 8 of 39 on third down.

Did you see the Irish from Notre Dame stun Virginia

lololoololololololoolololololololololoololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They always WIN! lolololoololololololololoolol However, PURDUE has more wins over Notre Dame then any college team. lololololoolololololololololololool YEAH! PS That's P U R D U E ! lololololoololololol The top engineering school in the world. They come from China, from all over the world to study at PURDUE!

***INsider: Update On VT Basketball Recruiting***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I haven't touched much on VT basketball, but there's lots going on right now with the Hokies.

First off, I know I've mentioned these guys on the INsider chats, but a lot of recruits were in attendance Sept. 7 for the Ohio State game. A big chunk of Oak Hill Academy (Va.) was there, most notably four-star forward Mario Kegler and 2017 four-star guards Ty-Shon Alexander, Matt Coleman and Lindell Wiggington. Also there were 2017 four-star forwards Aamir Simms and Dajour Dickens, as well as 2018 four-star guard Keldon Johnson and 2018 three-star guard Rasir Bolton.

Of that group, only Kegler appears to be out. I had thought maybe that Kegler was giving VT a look, but our Eric Bossi spoke to Kegler and his handler last week and the Hokies are not an option. So Kegler was there for support of his younger teammates, it appears. Still worth keeping an eye on.

I spoke with Simms earlier and will have a full story tomorrow, but it sounds like VT might be the favorite here. Simms is up to 12 offers, most recently from Clemson. He didn't want to name favorites, but said he has a few coaching staffs he has better relationships. He listed VT, Providence, Xavier, Cincinnati and Clemson as the ones he's closest with. Simms said he wants to see Clemson, Penn State and Xavier next, though he has no plans right now for any definites. This would be a huge get, though, for the Hokies and a guy they're working hard for.

As far as the 2016 class, the odds are slim, but coach Buzz Williams hasn't given up on four-star forward Javin DeLaurier, from up in Charlottesville (Va.). DeLaurier named a top six a few weeks ago of Arizona, Duke, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford and Texas. But Williams visited DeLaurier early last week. Doesn't seem to have changed anything, but it's worth noting Williams hasn't given up.

Williams was also in Richmond last week. I'm told he paid a visit to George Wythe (Va.) three-star point guard Maliek White, No. 126 in the Rivals150. Another guy who doesn't have an offer yet, but it sounds like that could happen soon. I don't believe White has visited yet, so that would be a guy to look for in visiting, where he could also workout with the team and VT could get a better sense of if it wants to offer.

One guy to keep an eye on is Hamilton Heights Christian (Tenn.) four-star forward Abdul Ado, No. 74 in the Rivals150. Williams visited him last week. I've been told by my VT staff sources that the Hokies haven't offered, but the way the Hokies sit with DeLaurier and not a ton of big-time guys available for VT, Ado is certainly an attainable guy. My guess is an offer could come his way soon, as well as a visit.

Finally, another guy to keep tabs on is Marshall (TX) forward Tiadre Jackson-Young. I'd gotten word that Williams went to see Jackson-Young last week and honestly, even Bossi didn't know anything about him. I'm working to get more on Jackson-Young, to see what the interest level really is and what VT thinks about him, but for right now, I want to at least make you all aware of him.

I'm still told that VT has only one certain scholarship. But the Hokies are still approaching the 2016 class as if it would take a guard and a big if that was possible. If not, they'll take the best available. So they're being very selective with who they want to use that definite scholarship on, while looking at possibly taking two.

We should totally out-talent Purdue

Since 2011...
  • Purdue signed 4 (four) 4**** players.
  • VT has signed 30 (thirty) 4**** players.
Our lowest year was 2013 when we signed three 4**** players.
In that year we nearly equalled their 5 yr total of four..

Of course, you always ask whether you met your needs, got good fits, had guys meet expectations, had significant injuries, etc.

While it is true that recruiting rankings don't win games, it is also true that a very high % of cfb games are won by the teams with the best talent, and that teams with higher rankings are usually more talented.

In this game, that's us.

giphy.gif

Impressive Win

So far the offense has impressed me in all the games so far, Ohio State before Brewer went out and Motley since that game. If Motley can play like this we have a shot. I have to admit he is doing better than i thought so far. I wonder which RB's we lose cause i don't see anyway we keep that stable in tact unless we can convert some of them to other positions.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT