ADVERTISEMENT

Ticket Breakdown For Ohio State Game

Guys, our partners at SeatGeek.com passed on some interesting pieces of info on the game. This is really the best place to buy tickets because you can compare multiple listings and get a truly all-around perspective on good and bad prices. I go through this link for all tickets, even Charlotte Hornets and Washington Nationals games: http://seatgeek.com/virginia-tech-hokies-football-tickets

Demand high to see Ohio State and Virginia Tech clash, but prices falling
  • With an average resale price of $280, Monday's game is not only the most expensive Virginia Tech game of the past five years, but also the most expensive event in Virginia this year, topping a Duke-Virginia basketball game in January.
  • To get an idea of how expensive this game is for Virginia Tech, their second most expensive home game this season is when Pittsburgh visits, and the average resale price is $56. A Virginia Tech fan could actually buy a ticket to the other five home games for just $239, $41 cheaper than the average ticket to the Ohio State-Virginia Tech game.
  • Next Monday's game is actually the most expensive Ohio State away game, just barely topping a visit to Michigan, which has an average resale price of $279. Ohio State has two home games that are more expensive, when Michigan State visits ($353), and when Penn State visits ($320).
  • Of those looking for tickets to the game on our site, 36 percent live in Virginia, while a healthy 17 percent live in Ohio. Showing the major following that these two teams have (and specifically Ohio State), North Carolina (6 percent), Pennsylvania (6 percent and Texas (4 percent) round out the top five.
  • With the game just a week out we have seen the ticket prices starting to fall as sellers must offload inventory. At the beginning of August the median listing price was $370, but currently it is down to $312, a drop of 16 percent. A similar trend shows up for the cheapest tickets for sale, which have gone from $283 at the beginning of August to $229 currently.
  • With an average resale price of $280 a ticket, the game is nearly double the price of the second most expensive Virginia Tech home game in the past five years, when it hosted Clemson in 2011. That game has an average resale price of just $142.
  • In fact, a fan could buy the average ticket to all of the other five Virginia Tech home games for $41 less than the cost of the average ticket to Monday's game.
  • The matchup is the most expensive Virginia Tech home game since at least 2010.
Reactions: hokiefanforlife

Offseason visit makes mark on 2017 R250 DE Garbutt

I caught up with 2017 Rivals205 DE TyJuan Garbutt over the weekend. He told me offseason visits to Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh and West Virginia stuck out to him. Garbutt feels close with coach Galloway at WVU, coach Franklin at PSU, coach London at UVA and coach Powell at Pitt. He will be at Virginia Tech for the Ohio state game and Virginia for the Notre Dame game. Garbutt wants to visit Penn State, Syracuse and others this season as well. He has been a fan of Ole Miss, Ohio State and Florida State and would like an offer.

Video: Visits leave mark on 2017 R250 DE Garbutt

***INsider: Xavier McKinney***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Roswell (Ga.) three-star safety Xavier McKinney, VT's newest offer in the 2017 class. That came on Tuesday. And it shouldn't surprise you to see an offer from Roswell. That's been a school assistant coach Torrian Gray has recruited hard, with three-star LB Tyrone Hopper this year and Rivals100 DB LeAnthony Williams in 2017.

McKinney now has four offers, from Alabama, Clemson, South Carolina and now the Hokies. With VT, McKinney said this was an offer he was pretty well expecting, especially with Gray's presence. McKinney said the offer came when his dad called Gray, who told his dad, who relayed to Xavier that the offer was there.

McKinney called Gray "a real cool dude." He said Williams has relayed a lot of information to him, which has also caught McKinney's attention. Honestly, McKinney didn't have a ton to say because he hasn't visited. But that's about to change. He's planning on visiting VT with his dad Sept. 7 for the Ohio State game. And that should really go a long way towards him forming a better opinion.

This summer, McKinney visited Alabama, Clemson, South Carolina and West Virginia, the first two for camps and that's where the offers came from. The one that seems to have stood out so far is Clemson. McKinney said his older brother was recruited by that staff and he got to know them a little better.

The good news here is McKinney's upcoming visit. And 'DBU' is one position VT can compete with anybody, at least be in the mix for. It'll be interesting to see if his visit shapes his recruitment any.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

I need your help fellow Hokies

My wife and I are in a contest to win tickets to the Ohio State game. I need your help. Go to www.105.3thebear.com and scroll down to hokie pics for hokie tics. Their is pictures of 7 contestants the one with the most votes wins tickets to the big game. Our picture is titled HOKIE FANS FOR LIFE. THE PICTURE WAS TAKEN ABOUT A MONTH AGO TO ANNOUNCE MY WIFE'S PREGNANCY AND OUR FUTURE HOKIE ON THE WAY. We arranged to get inside Lane Stadium to take some pictures of the big announcement the picture I am asking for all you guys to vote for in this contest. It is my daughter, wife, & myself on the 50 yard line inside Lane Stadium with the scoreboard in the background. I love VT football as much as anybody and need tickets to the game to watch the Buckeye beat down and I need all your help. Voting goes thru the 30th and you can only vote once per day. I am begging for my fellow Hokies to give me a little help. I would appreciate 5 min of your time for the next 6 days.
Reactions: DEXTERITY

***INsider: Marcus Minor Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Dematha (Md.) 2017 four-star offensive tackle Marcus Minor, No. 246 in the Rivals250. Minor and the Stags had a big 38-14 win over Miami Central (Fla.) yesterday, which was broadcast on ESPNU.

If you'll remember, Minor camped at VT June 14, which is when the Hokies offered. Virginia offered last month, joining West Virginia, Temple and East Carolina.

Minor hasn't been heavily promoting himself, so at this stage, NCAA coaches can't reach out to him, per NCAA rules. But Minor said VT still has stuck with him. He told me he really believes assistant coach Stacy Searels can help him and said of Searels, "I think highly of him."

Minor does also like UVA, West Virginia and Temple, but with the Hoos, he said that offer was very surprising and still doesn't know much about them. Minor said he had no contact with UVA prior to that offer.

Minor has no visits planned and admitted it will be tough this fall, since Dematha plays multiple Saturday games and travels nationally. They'll play at American Heritage (Fla.) Saturday. But Minor said he does hope to see VT, UVA, WV and Temple at some point this fall.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Hokies to honor Adam and Alison at the OSU game

“It’s extremely important that the families and loved ones of Allison Parker, Adam Ward, and WDBJ-TV, know that we stand united with them through this painful time,” Virginia Tech head football coach Frank Beamer said. “My heart is absolutely broken for the Parker and Ward families and my prayer is that they gain strength and peace through the support and love of this community http://www.wdbj7.com/sports/virgini...2?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WDBJ7

***INsider: Nick Coe Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Asheboro (NC) four-star DE Nick Coe, who VT has been chasing for a while. The Hokies slipped a little when Coe cancelled his visit for Beamer's BBQ, but it seems like they're still in the hunt.

Coe said he has a top three of Florida State, Auburn and VT. The Noles jumped in after sending him a written offer earlier this month. And right now, I think they're the leader. Coe told me, "That changes everything, signing wise, committing." But he still hasn't visited there, so that's why they're not the unanimous favorite.

With the Hokies, Coe said he still talks regularly with and loves assistant coach Charley Wiles. Coe said he believes Wiles can get him to the next level. But Coe hasn't visited since February, when he got his offer at a junior day. He has no plans to visit anywhere right now, including VT, but this is a case where they sorely need him to visit if they're to have any type of chance.

Coe said he will be taking all five official visits and that his top three will get a visit, he's just not sure when that is. But it sounds like his decision likely won't come until the end of the year at the earliest. He still wants to get through visits first.

Whit Babcock Addresses Fines

My colleague Andy Bitter spoke with AD Whit Babcock this morning about the fines that Bud Foster mentioned for players yesterday. Some interesting responses for sure:

"AB: What did you find out about the proposed fine system?

WB: First things first: yesterday at practice, a guy that was watching practice just mentioned something to me about, ‘Hey, did you see on the team TV board something about a fine system?’ And I said, ‘No, I didn’t see that.’ I assumed, and I have seen this in other places, that if, let’s say we’re paying $9 an hour for a tutor and if a player misses a tutoring session that they have to pay that back. So I made a note to myself to talk to coach [Frank Beamer] and [director of operations] John Ballein today, and then I went on to the Blacksburg Sports Club and saw that it was much more than that. So what I’ve done, I’ve met with coach Beamer, John Ballein and coach Foster. We talked about it. There has been in place for a number of years, not to this extent, but for a number of years, a little bit of a, and I hate to use the word, but I can’t use another one, but a fine system, disciplinary for our players and such. And I think it’s come out of bowl type stuff. So I was not aware that we were doing that. It’s not against NCAA rules. It’s probably more prevalent than people think, but I was not aware of it. So I got up to speed on that. I got up to speed on the fact that certainly anything out of cost of attendance would not be permissible and I shut it all down. Now, I would also like to say this: I really admire coach Beamer, the behavior of our players, the accountability, the discipline, the clean program. I admire what he’s done. But I just think this is a new era and we all agreed this morning that we would stop this practice in total.

AB: Was the original idea to extend it to the cost of attendance or limit it to the bowl allowance?

WB: Thank you for asking. Bud just misspoke on that part. We do a lot of education on cost of attendance. I think what Bud was trying to say was discipline has changed over the years. Maybe some of the things that we did in the old days and physical punishment and things like that is maybe not good. I think what Bud was trying to say is he believes in discipline and that was one way to get the guys’ attention. I’ve also been told it’s not something that we had in the past acted on or that we have done some of that in the past, but no, none of it can be or was associated with cost of attendance. So that was Bud speaking alone and proposing something. But nobody had gotten fined under the new system and we squashed it.

AB: Are you shutting down the bowl allowance fines as well?

WB: All of it.

AB: Given the climate of college sports these days, was that concerning to you to find out a fine system for the bowl allowance had even been in place?

WB: Yes and no. Yes, it was surprising. I wasn’t aware of it. But I certainly don’t argue with coach Beamer’s track record of 29 years and how he does it. He runs it as good and as respectful as any place I’ve been, the player accountability. And we’re going to do what’s good for Virginia Tech. But there’s a number of schools that have some similar things. I’m just more used to being around it from the academic side. And we may actually revisit that part of it. I just felt like today it was better to knock it all out. Just because we’ve been doing something for a long time doesn’t mean we will. But academically, for example, if kids miss tutors or study halls or summer school and fail classes, I might -- might -- be open to some kind of accountability there. But anyways, some of it was surprising, but I don’t question coach Beamer’s track record or his method. It was just something that caught a lot of us a little by surprise. And I think Bud got out over his skis a little bit on that one.

AB: I know you delegate a lot and like to let programs on their own at Virginia Tech, without looking over their shoulder. Do you feel the need for a little more oversight after something like this or are you comfortable with your management style?

WB: Actually, I’m comfortable with it. And one thing that we did this year, because with the industry climate out there and team rules for all of our sports tend to evolve for all of our sports, right, with different coaches, we actually gathered up all of our team rules for every sport. We analyzed them. We had the general counsel’s office of the university analyze them. Because what you don’t want is inconsistencies from team to team. So I’m very pleased with the management of it. And again, the quote, fine situation, for academics and other things has been around for a long time. I just think the timing of it and the optics of it and Bud’s good intention, he just got out a little bit in front of himself, but I met with him and coach and John Ballein and we’re all on the same page and feel like there’s closure there. In the whole scheme of things, with everything we’ve got going on in the media today, especially in Roanoke, I wouldn’t say this is a huge deal comparatively, but it’s certainly something we wanted to be transparent about and bring closure to."
Reactions: DEXTERITY

Ricky Walker & Tim Settle will redshirt. Dadi & Marshall on the mend.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colum...cle_1064830a-4d88-11e5-898d-e3854e0ed29d.html

Wiles' top five right now at tackle is Luther Maddy, Corey Marshall, Woody Baron, Nigel Williams and Steve Sobczak.

"We can’t rep any more than that," Wiles said. "Now if something happens, based on who got hurt and all that, then we’re going to get our best four guys out there for the football game. We’re going to plug them in like playing Vinny[Mihota] at defensive end right now because he’s in our top eight. He can fit a couple places. So just depending on who got hurt, how we would move forward.

"But the future is now, and I told Ricky that. If the wrong guy got hurt, you’re coming out there. You’re going to move in there and start playing. We just need to stay healthy. But we’ll move forward with five tackles and really four ends right now."

Walker played as a true freshman while another fellow 2014 signee, Sobczak, did not. Wiles said there's not a ton of difference in performance right now from Williams, Walker and Sobczak, so redshirting Walker makes sense.

"As we move forward, you’re getting ready to lose Luther and you’re going to lose Woody … so you’ve kind of got to be smart a little bit," Wiles said.

2. Walker had a good attitude about redshirting.

Some guys say the right things but are clearly putting on a brave face. Walker seemed genuinely all about redshirting. In fact, he had thought about it ahead of time, simply from looking at the depth chart.

"It’s what’s best for the team," Walker said. "It’s not definite, because guys can get hurt, so if guys get hurt, then I guess I’m going to come down to it. But I feel like it’s a good thing. I’m not mad at all. It just takes time for me to get stronger, get healthy, a couple aches there. Definitely what’s best for the team. We’ve got Corey and Luther of course, the big two studs, so it’s what’s best for the team."

Walker was a highly-recruited guy in 2014, so some outsiders might look at this as an ego blow to someone who played in his true freshman year, albeit only once injuries forced the Hokies to abandon burning their redshirt of him in Week 3. He ended up playing 160 snaps.

"That’s what people always ask me, they go, ‘You know, you came in and played as a true freshman. You played a certainly amount of snaps and you was highly recruited,'" Walker said. "Umm, not at all. It’s a good thing. Being that I’m competitive, it’s a going to kind of suck not playing on Saturdays, but when it comes down to it, it’s worth it, man. I’m perfectly fine with it. ... When I talk to people about it, they agree with me. It’s a good thing and a smart decision and it’s going to be worth it."

Walker said he'll use the season to get stronger and further adjust to being slimmer. He's down to about 281 pounds right now after playing up around 290 in the spring. He did so by starting to eat better.

"I stopped eating at D2, because D2 will put weight on you," he said.

3. Settle's redshirt you could probably see coming.

Although Settle made a big first impression with the interception in the first scrimmage, coaches always talked cautiously about whether or not he could get on the field this year. And for a reason. They'd like him to slim down some from his 350-pound frame and get better with his technique.

As with Walker, there's also a matter of reps.

"Right now, how do you get Tim enough reps to get him ready to play?" Wiles said. "We’re not in a position right now that you have to play him. And if you have to play him, and if you had to pour every single play, every single rep into him, you could probably get him ready to play.

"[It's] a combination of getting into good shape. A combination of getting his body weight down just a tad. Tim’s not going to be 300. Now, we can get away from that. Those days are in his rearview mirror. But let’s get him down to three and a quarter. Let’s get him in some kind of shape where he looks like quick, athletic guy where he can do it all the time. Now, he does at times. The kid has got some tools, but just can’t get him enough reps right now to get him to play. You’re just robbing Peter to pay Paul. Just ain’t no way."

It doesn't diminish Wiles' opinion that Settle can be a long-term impact player at Tech.

"Kid’s liable to be a three-year starter for us," he said. "I’ll be disappointed if he’s not, really."

4. The freshmen defensive ends look like they'll all redshirt.

Wiles just doesn't think the group, which includes Darius Fullwood and Houshun Gaines, is ready. (Trevon Hilltore his ACL in March and is a definite redshirt.)

"Yeah, they ain’t ready to play, man," Wiles said. "I ain’t going to say they got worse as it went on, but they certainly got a little bit more overwhelmed. They were pretty good today. And they showed flashes through camp of being pretty good prospects. But as it went on, just not physical enough. And it just kind of wore on them mentally. Not mentally tough enough, but good prospects, though."

5. Baron's continued his push for the No. 3 spot, while Sobczak has turned a corner.

Wiles said Baron has continued to separate himself as the third defensive tackle and would be the next guy in the game if someone were to get hurt.

"It’s about making plays and turning plays and production in this business," Wiles said. "And Woody’s made a lot of plays for us."

Sobczak, a 6-foot-1, 309-pound redshirt freshman, has stood out enough in camp to push Williams, an All-ACC honorable mention pick last year after filling in for an injured Maddy, for the fourth tackle spot.

6. Dadi Nicolas and Corey Marshall are both on the mend.

Nicolas continues to deal with a hand injury from early in camp. He's had his hand wrapped for a while and probably will continue to do so, although defensive coordinator Bud Foster said he won't have a club or anything like that.

"He’s going to have it," Wiles said of the wrap. "I don’t know how many fingers he’ll have and all that. So there’ll be some limitations, but it shouldn’t be a problem. We’re not going to let it be a problem."

Marshall tweaked his ankle in last weekend's scrimmage and sat out the rest of that day, but coaches said he's been out there this week. It's unclear if it was the same ankle he had surgery on last offseason, although Wiles didn't sound too concerned about it.

"He didn’t miss any practice because of it," Wiles said. "It was just a little basketball turn. Wasn’t anything high."
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT