ADVERTISEMENT

Team Names, Spring Game Format

Announced by VT:
The Virginia Tech athletics department has selected two longtime season ticket holders to be honorary coaches for the annual Maroon-Orange Spring Game that will be held Saturday starting at 2 p.m.

Rather than split the roster into two teams, Tech’s coaches have changed the format for this year’s game. The first-team defense and the second-team offense will comprise “Team Pylon,” while the first-team offense and second-team defense will be “Team Medal of Honor.” The team names honor the university’s Corps of Cadets and its military tradition.
Lane_Stadium_visiting.jpg

Dr. Dwight Bradshaw of Suffolk, Virginia, will be the coach of Team Pylon, while David Lawson of Crownsville, Maryland, will be the coach of Team Medal of Honor. The two renewed their 2015 football season tickets by the “Early Bird” deadline of March 30, and by doing so, entered a lottery from which the honorary coaches of the spring game were chosen.

Dr. Bradshaw and his wife, Jennifer, have been longtime season ticket holders in both football and men’s basketball. They come to just about every football game and most basketball games, and were honored to be a part of the festivities this weekend.

“First of all, my wife was ecstatic about it,” Bradshaw said. “I was thrilled, too. I don’t know too much about what it entails, but it sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun. We’re thrilled. I’m not too worried about calling any plays. I’m going to leave that up to the coaches.”

Dr. Bradshaw graduated from Tech in 1966 with a degree in biology, and while at Tech, he served a two-year stint in the Corps of Cadets. He then attended the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond, where he received his D.D.S (Doctor of Dental Surgery). He returned to his hometown of Suffolk, where he continues seeing patients in his private practice.

Lawson, like Bradshaw, has been a season ticket holder for more than 10 years. He graduated in 1991 with a degree in electrical engineering, and like Bradshaw, was also in the Corp of Cadets. He currently works as an engineer for Northrop Grumman. He also serves as the president of the Maryland Hokie Club, something he’s done for the past three years.

He and his wife are excited about the opportunity as well.

“I was excited and surprised,” Lawson said. “How many thousand season ticket holders are there? It was a great honor, and I was excited to be asked. I’m looking forward to it. It sounds like I’ll be on the field for the coin flip and then have a field pass and be on the sidelines. It will be fun. This will be the first time I’ve been on the field since college.”

Both Bradshaw and Lawson may get additional help on Saturday. Bradshaw and his wife are bringing their 5-year-old grandson to his first spring game, and Lawson and his wife are bringing their 2-year-old daughter to her first football game.

“Hopefully, she’ll enjoy it,” Lawson said of his daughter. “I think she’s a little young to stand on the sidelines, but I’ll get to spend some time with her. She’ll be upstairs with my wife.”

“The coaches better be looking at him already,” Bradshaw said of his grandson. “He’s a ballplayer. He’s been to games and he really watches the game. He’s not just there to go to the concession stand and all that stuff. He’s attentive to what’s going on. This is going to be fun. He’s going to have a great time.”

The game kicks off at 2 p.m. Admission is free.

• Poll
Brewer's Lunch Spot

Between these two lunch spots, which one do you all prefer?

• Boudreaux's

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Kobe Japanese Express

Votes: 12 52.2%

This past Tuesday after one of the final practices, Michael Brewer talked about adjusting to Virginia Tech.

"I had to do an interview a couple weeks into the season last year. They said lets go eat on campus and I had to call somebody because I don't know where the heck I'm going. I don't know where anything is in Blacksburg. I was just running around trying to make it by," said Michael Brewer.

With last season under his belt, Brewer is gaining more confidence and becoming more comfortable not only in football but also with living Virginia. Brewer's go to breakfast spot is Joe's Diner. When debating between the delicious Boudreaux's and Kobe Japanese Express for lunch, he favors Kobe.

Hamilton Details VT Signing

Guys, as I mentioned earlier, I spoke to the man himself, center Johnny Hamilton, about his decision to sign his national letter of intent to VT tonight. I didn't realize until I spoke with him that he's only been in the US for three years and his official visit to VT this past weekend was only the second state he'd ever been to. He hadn't been outside of Texas since he has gotten to the US. But he apparently loved everything about his visit and didn't need to take any other officials. Here's the full story: http://rvls.co/1OIFFpu
Reactions: GC1

what's up with that !?!?! Duke at #7 in fball recruiting?

And this is nothing new. Ever since Duke came into Bburg and laid a loss on VT--- they've steadily climbed the
recruiting rankings in Fball.

If their admission standards are so high that they only take the creme de la creme....I can believe they are able to find a 15 person basketball roster with high academics. But.I find it hard to believe they can routinely rack up
50-60 football players that share a similar academic profile / grade point average as the rest of the student body population.....For the last year or two+--- the recruiting rankings on displayed on this board indicates they have out recruited more than 2/3 of the schools in the Sooo Everybody Cheats and are generally only behind FSU, Clemson, & Miami in the ACC. VT has gotten as high as #17 early on--- but usually finishes in the 20's

We're currently sitting at #22. The only consolation is that we've steadily ranked ahead of the Hoos---currently ranked in the 30's & 40's - are currently sitting 9 or 10 spaces back.

We need to reestablish ourselves in the 757 - where M London got his early start. & came to prominence after taking Richmond to 1-AA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. With the hiring of ODU's Zohn Burden----hopefully VT can re-establish its recruiting dominance that really built VT's ranked program. I'm sure other schools are trying to pull the "old gray mare" is going to retire routine --to hurt VT's recruiting presence. Hopefully, we can transition as well as Bowden did----although its not realistic with the massive talent base in Florida, Georgia Bama, --i.e the
deep south as well.

I FEEL BUD FOSTER DESERVES A CHANCE TO BE HEAD COACH ---- Lord knows he is tops in terms of defensive knowledge and schemes. HE HAS COACHED AGAINST THE BEST OFFENSIVE COACHES & SCHEMES OVER THE YEARS. WHO BETTER THAN FOSTER ----WOULD KNOW WHICH OFFENSIVE SCHEMES PRESENT THE MOST DIFFICULTY TO DEFEND. HE COULD STILL FOCUS ON THE DEFENSE , BUT HIRE THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR (FROM WHEREVER) WITH THAT BEST--- IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEND --OFFENSIVE SCHEME.

Perhaps Loeffler is that man. Its still too early in his tenure to tell if he is that man. Rome wasn't built in a day or 1 or 2 seasons for that matter. Spring practice has shown offensive promise----but when you're practicing against your own players......is the offense that good or is the defense not as good . No one will really know until the season starts. Hosting national champ Ohio St may give an indicator. Truthfully, last year, Vt was fortunate when OSU lost its starting qb right before our game in Columbus. I think they still felt they would triumph & took VT lightly. Their replacement QB was obviously not prepared....made some crucial turnovers...and was out of the game by half time. I feel a nationally televised revenge potential pounding may take place-----with many Hokies selling their tickets at outrageous prices to pay for their seasons- for rest of the year---- I feel it will seem like an OSU scrimmage in their smaller practice stadium.

HOPE I'M WAY WRONG..

i

what's up with that !?!?! Duke at #7 in fball recruiting?

And this is nothing new. Ever since Duke came into Bburg and laid a loss on VT--- they've steadily climbed the
recruiting rankings in Fball.

If their admission standards are so high that they only take the creme de la creme....I can believe they are able to find a 15 person basketball roster with high academics. But.I find it hard to believe they can routinely rack up
50-60 football players that share a similar academic profile / grade point average as the rest of the student body population.....For the last year or two+--- the recruiting rankings on displayed on this board indicates they have out recruited more than 2/3 of the schools in the Sooo Everybody Cheats and are generally only behind FSU, Clemson, & Miami in the ACC. VT has gotten as high as #17 early on--- but usually finishes in the 20's

We're currently sitting at #22. The only consolation is that we've steadily ranked ahead of the Hoos---currently ranked in the 30's & 40's - are currently sitting 9 or 10 spaces back.

We need to reestablish ourselves in the 757 - where M London got his early start. & came to prominence after taking Richmond to 1-AA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. With the hiring of ODU's Zohn Burden----hopefully VT can re-establish its recruiting dominance that really built VT's ranked program. I'm sure other schools are trying to pull the "old gray mare" is going to retire routine --to hurt VT's recruiting presence. Hopefully, we can transition as well as Bowden did----although its not realistic with the massive talent base in Florida, Georgia Bama, --i.e the
deep south as well.

I FEEL BUD FOSTER DESERVES A CHANCE TO BE HEAD COACH ---- Lord knows he is tops in terms of defensive knowledge and schemes. HE HAS COACHED AGAINST THE BEST OFFENSIVE COACHES & SCHEMES OVER THE YEARS. WHO BETTER THAN FOSTER ----WOULD KNOW WHICH OFFENSIVE SCHEMES PRESENT THE MOST DIFFICULTY TO DEFEND. HE COULD STILL FOCUS ON THE DEFENSE , BUT HIRE THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR (FROM WHEREVER) WITH THAT BEST--- IMPOSSIBLE TO DEFEND --OFFENSIVE SCHEME.

Perhaps Loeffler is that man. Its still too early in his tenure to tell if he is that man. Rome wasn't built in a day or 1 or 2 seasons for that matter. Spring practice has shown offensive promise----but when you're practicing against your own players......is the offense that good or is the defense not as good . No one will really know until the season starts. Hosting national champ Ohio St may give an indicator. Truthfully, last year, Vt was fortunate when OSU lost its starting qb right before our game in Columbus. I think they still felt they would triumph & took VT lightly. Their replacement QB was obviously not prepared....made some crucial turnovers...and was out of the game by half time. I feel a nationally televised revenge potential pounding may take place-----with many Hokies selling their tickets at outrageous prices to pay for their seasons- for rest of the year---- I feel it will seem like an OSU scrimmage in their smaller practice stadium.

HOPE I'M WAY WRONG..

i
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT