ADVERTISEMENT

***INsider: 4.4 Scrimmage Notes***

Guys, as I mentioned I would be, I was at the Hokies' scrimmage today, for post game video, photos and to take notes. Here's the main stuff from the day:

The pace was fast. VT ran 43 plays officially, though a few were called back by penalty, so it was actually more like 55. There were a LOT of penalties, 9 total, two on defense and seven offensively.

Also a few injuries to note, which I will before I get into other stuff, In one on ones with the DBs and WRs, receiver Demitri Knowles was a little shaken up. He went against Terrell Edmunds and Knowles banged his head pretty good on the ground. He walked slowly and gingerly for a little bit, but didn't really miss any time. Still thought at first, he might have had a concussion.

As has been noted a few places, DT Steve Sobczak had to be carted off the field late in the scrimmage. Trainer Mike Goforth said he sprained his right ankle, but doesn't believe the injury to be "too significant." Sobczak will likely miss at least one week, if not two, though, because of the injury. OL Andrew Williams, a walk-on, did suffer a pretty bad sprained ankle, though and will probably miss the rest of spring.

Also as been noted elsewhere, senior QB Michael Brewer was not in action again, for the third straight outing. Goforth said he's been having back spasms, but that it's not related to the earlier back injury Brewer had that cut his sophomore season short at Texas Tech. Goforth downplayed the injury, calling it "not really a big concern of ours."

I spoke on the sideline with CB Brandon Facyson, who's been out of action since shutting down his season early last fall. Facyson has battled a series of injuries a little over the past year, from a stress fracture in his leg, a hip flexor last spring and a pulled groin last fall. The stress fracture has been the main obstacle, but Facyson told me he feels better and that he's been told he's coming along on schedule. It will likely be two months, though, until he's back full and cleared to do much.

Facyson did have a lot to say about redshirt freshman WR CJ Carroll, who's been brought up a few times this spring as someone to watch. I asked Facyson if Carroll was really that good and he told me, "Yeah, because he stays so low to the ground and makes good cuts that make him hard to tackle." Carroll had a few nice catches in the scrimmage.

I really thought VT's secondary looked sharp today. They made it tough on the receivers all day, in one-on-ones and in the scrimmage itself. Edmunds had the big play, an interception on an out pattern, but I was very impressed with true freshman Mook Reynolds. It might not be this fall, but Mook has an insanely bright future ahead of him. He made great reads, had a few break ups and made a great interception in one-on-ones.

Who didn't look great was the quarterbacks. Brendon Motley ran with the ones and got the first five plays of the scrimmage before giving way for Andrew Ford. Motley did make a few completions, but Ford especially, was way off on his throws. And Chris Durkin couldn't get much protection. He did hold the ball a few times too long, but he had no chance on a few sacks. Motley's best play of the day, a zone read that would have gone about 45 yards for a touchdown, was negated by a holding penalty on Jonathan McLaughlin.

Motley's other good play on the day was a very well placed fade route for Bucky Hodges down the right sideline. The gain was for about 35 yards. Bucky was the top target a lot during the day and had more catches than anyone.

Deon Clarke, Jamieon Moss and Ricky Walker each had impressive sacks, especially Walker in blowing through the middle of the line. Yosuah Nijman also looked very strong coming off the end and once he gets his technique down, he's gonna be tough to slow down. Defensive coordinator Bud Foster still called him "raw" and after every few plays, a coach or GA would come over to him and go over good stuff and bad stuff and give him more instruction.

More video and photos coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

scrimmage today

a little ugly but expected for first scrimmage.
lots of penalties
tfl/sacks. 10 total
Walker 2 tfl and a sack, Dadi looked great
Bucky lead receiving with 3,
Motley looked best at QB
Edmunds had an int off of Ford
Mcmillan had 55 yd run but when sacks and tfl factored only about 66 total rushing yards for team.

This post was edited on 4/4 6:30 PM by DABURGHFAN

***INsider: Buzz Williams Update***

Guys, just wanted to pass on that I'm told through our Texas site, OrangeBloods.com, that the Longhorns did reach out to coach Buzz Williams earlier this week about their vacant head coaching position. But for right now, it appears to be no more than a feeler. OrangeBloods tells me that Shaka Smart is by far the top candidate. If Smart turns them down, then they might make more of a run at Buzz, who is a Texas native. But it doesn't appear that serious right now, as everyone waits to see what Smart does.

I'll keep you guys updated on anything else that comes up.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

***INsider: De'Monte Buckingham***

Guys, I caught up earlier with Henrico (Va.) 2016 three-star guard De'Monte Buckingham earlier, just to catch up. Buckingham is No. 148 in the Rivals150 and I saw him in Roanoke at a tournament last fall.

The big news, obviously, is Buckingham won a state championship a few weeks ago, leading Henrico to a 28-1 finish. But with that, Buckingham played all season with torn tissue in his right knee. He said he thought he had a bad sprain and wore a brace all season, but last Friday, had surgery to remove the tissue. He's now sitting out until early to mid May, so it's not a bad setback. But Buckingham said the pain started early in the season.

Bucklingham said he was very high on VCU, but now isn't sure with Shaka Smart leaving for Texas. Richmond has also made a huge push, as has East Carolina. But VT showed a lot of interest last fall and has basked off tremendously. But basically, the Hokies and about everyone else are waiting to see how he bounces back from surgery and how he plays at 100%. This summer, Buckingham will likely pull in a lot more offers, but for now, it's just waiting to see how he does this summer and who offers.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

This post was edited on 4/3 11:04 PM by Jason Stamm

De'Monte Buckingham profile

***INsider: Khalan Laborn On VT Visit***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Ocean Lakes (Va.) class of 2017 Rivals100 RB Khalan Laborn, who visited VT this past weekend. He made the trip with fellow 2017 Rivals100 teammate Eric Crosby, who we already reported on, a few other teammates and his coach, Chris Scott, for the Hokies' coaching clinic.

Laborn is at 12 or 13 offers right now (he's not sure which), the most recent coming from Ole Miss a few weeks ago, which also offered Crosby at the same time. I get the sense right now that Laborn is pretty open with everything. He mentioned how Rutgers was the first place he'd visited, a few times, but nothing else really.

With VT, this was Laborn's first visit. He said he loved seeing Blacksburg and the surroundings and even ate pizza at Benny Marzano's downtown. He also liked seeing practice on Saturday morning and touring the campus, too.

The guy he said he spent the most time with was JC Coleman. And when they weren't hanging out, Laborn said he talked and hung out with assistant coach Zohn Burden, who's recruiting him. Crosby said he and Burden are very close, like family and that they talk to each other a lot. Burden wasn't the one recruiting him for Old Dominion, but it sounds like he's made up ground quickly since he's been with the Hokies.

There's absolutely no hurry here with Laborn. He said he will be at VT's spring game April 25 with Crosby and also wants to see Ohio State, Florida, Florida State, Alabama and others this summer. I'll see him at the Rivals Camp April 12, as he told me he'll be at the Charlotte stop, since that just worked out a little better.

Khalan Laborn profile

Many involved with 3-star DL

3-star DL Joe Goff is high on schools like Pittsburgh, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Boston College and Vanderbilt but he says Navy is currently leading. Goff's brother currently plays for Navy. He recently visited Boston College, Navy, Virginia Tech and Maryland. Next week he will visit North Carolina, Wake Forest and Duke. Goff wants to commit some time in late summer.

Video

Football Ticket pricing & Promos

This was released earlier by VT athletics:

The Virginia Tech Athletics Department announced Wednesday some prices for individual game tickets this upcoming season, along with a series of promotions designed to enhance the fan experience at Lane Stadium.

The breakout of prices for individual games for season ticket holders is as follows: Ohio State ($90), Furman ($40), and all conference games ($55) for a total of $350 per season ticket. Currently, Hokie Club members and 2014 season ticket holders can renew their season tickets through next Monday, April 6. For those looking to renew, they can do so by logging on to HokieTickets.com or by calling 1-800-VA TECH4. If any season tickets remain available after the renewal process, they will be put on sale to the general public around April 20. Season ticket holders receive at least a $45 savings over individual game ticket prices.

The prices for individual game tickets, should they become available, are as follows: Furman ($45) and all conference games ($60), which include games against Pittsburgh, NC State, Duke and North Carolina.

Individual game pricing has not yet been determined for the Ohio State game. The only way for Tech fans to currently guarantee a seat to see the defending national champions on Sept. 7 at Lane Stadium is to purchase season tickets. There is no guarantee that individual game tickets will be available for sale. Contractually, the athletics department must also provide 4,000 tickets to Ohio State and will be charging OSU $110 per ticket, consistent with their pricing for Tech's 2014 game in Columbus.

Season ticket holders also will have exclusive access to a personal season ticket service executive, the option to purchase single-game tickets prior to the general public (including extra OSU individual game tickets if available), the opportunity to attend exclusive events/practices and more.

Tech has designated the Ohio State game on Labor Day as its "Orange Effect" game. Also, the athletics department announced that the Furman game on Sept. 12 will be the "White Effect" game along with Military Appreciation Day. Tech will recognize the 2015 inductees into the Virginia Tech Sports Hall of Fame at halftime of this game as well.

The Duke game on Oct. 24 will be the "Maroon Effect" game and also will serve as Homecoming. The official t-shirts of all these games will be available for purchase beginning at the Maroon-Orange Spring Game on April 25 and at the University Bookstore thereafter.

New this upcoming season will be the department's "Twenty4You" campaign. Twenty-four fan experience initiatives center on improving the gameday experience for all fans will be announced in August. The department conducted a survey of select fans after every home game during the 2014 season, asking an array of questions, including ones related to parking, concessions, in-game entertainment and others. Those results were analyzed, and the 24 initiatives will be implemented to create the greatest gameday atmosphere possible.

The athletics department wants to remind people to attend the annual Maroon-Orange Spring Game on Saturday, April 25, at 2 p.m. Admission is free, and fans can pick up a 2015 football poster. Also, Hokie Village, the pregame festival that debuted last fall, will be opening at 10:30 that morning and closing at 1:15 p.m.

Thorne

Jason, what if anything can you tell us about Mike Thorne and does Buzz and staff have it to bring him in for a year? From all accounts, he sounds like he could be just our ticket to the dance next season...

This post was edited on 3/30 8:23 PM by sbonnie

***4.3 VT INsider Chat Details***

This weekend marks the end of week two of spring football practice and there's plenty going on. There's also plenty going on with recruiting as well, especially with the Rivals Camp Series stops next weekend in Richmond and Charlotte that I'll be covering, with a lot of Hokies prospects. At 12:30 pm ET tomorrow (Friday), come get answers to all your questions on those topics and more. Take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions with our chat that's only for subscribers like you!

Click HERE for this week's INsider Chat!

***INsider: Eric Crosby On VT Visit***

Guys, I talked a little earlier with class of 2017 Ocean Lakes (Va.) Rivals100 ATH Eric Crosby. As Adam Friedman first reported here, Crosby visited VT over the weekend with his coach, Chris Scott and a few of his teammates for an unofficial visit and to take part in the coaches' clinic.

Crosby said the trip was his first to VT, but he was impressed with the atmosphere, which was the opposite of what he thought it would be. The thing that stood out most to Crosby was the training room and how team doctors can do so much there.

Crosby has been recruited primarily by assistant coach Zohn Burden. And Crosby said Burden has leveled with him and gotten a good relationship. Crosby is a true athlete who plays all over the field. But Burden asked what he wanted to play in college, which is fullback and/or defensive tackle and Burden told him that's what the Hokies thought, too.

Aside from those positions, Crosby has also played running back, defensive end and linebacker. He'll be at the Rivals camp April 11 in Richmond and said he wants to play a little of offense and defense.

This spring, Crosby has also visited Virginia, Old Dominion and NC State. He still wants to see LSU sometime, though no date is set and plans on being back at VT April 25 for the spring game. Long way to go here, but the Hokies have positioned themselves very well here.

Eric Crosby profile
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT