ADVERTISEMENT

***Sam Denmark On VT Commit***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Hanahan (SC) three-star wide receiver Sam Denmark, who committed to the Hokies late last night. I will say, the big thing here right off the bat is that he said he's "a hundred percent" with his decision and doesn't plan on taking any more visits.

Denmark was first offered by assistant coach Shane Beamer in September. Denmark then visited VT for the Boston College game and was at the junior day Feb. 7. He told me what stood out to him is he wasn't treated any differently on both trips and loved the overall hospitality. He also talked to current players and seniors who just played last fall and liked what he heard.

Over the past few weeks, starting at the junior day, Denmark said he loved what he heard from assistant coach Zohn Burden. Denmark said they really hit it off and said he "could really see myself playing under him."

The other big thing with Denmark is his speed. He won the state 100 meter-dash last year for Class AAA at 10.92 seconds. Denmark said there's a possibility he could run track at VT, but that he hasn't spoken with any of the track coaches yet.

This is a kid who because of his speed, is a huge pickup. Denmark was at the Rivals250 Underclassmen Challenge in 2013 and I saw him in person at the RCS in Charlotte last spring. He didn't do anything to jump out, but his speed was evident and he was very consistent.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

Sam Denmark profile

Van Zegeren Transferring

Guys, first reported tonight by ESPN's Jeff Goodman, but my sources have confirmed that fifth year senior Joey Van Zegeren, who was dismissed from VT last month, has transferred to Northwestern. He's on track to graduate this spring, in which case, he won't have to sit out any time and will have one more season left of eligibility.

***INsider: Troy Pride Details***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Greer (SC) three-star CB Troy Pride, who committed to VT Friday night. I was waiting to talk with him and post anything because I didn't want to get caught up in everything with the commit because there's more to it.

First off, Pride said he loves assistant coach Torrian Gray and said him "believing" in him was a big reason for the commit. Since the Hokies offered in late December, Pride said he's stayed in steady contact with Gray. Pride also visited for the Feb. 7 junior day with both his parents, who both loved Gray. While he was on that visit. Pride said, "It was just a good place to be, honestly and I could see myself having fun there for a long time."

But I'll also tell you that this recruitment isn't over. Just yesterday, a day after he committed, Pride was at Georgia's junior day. He did tell me that "I don't see the same connection" there as at VT, but that he did enjoy the visit. Next weekend, he's going to Georgia Tech's junior day. He last visited there for the Jackets' game against Clemson last fall.

Pride said he's committed to the Hokies. But that "honestly, I would be open in some aspects." So essentially, if the right offer could come along, he could flip. He has no other offers and didn't say he was waiting on a specific one. But we'll list him as a soft verbal commit and basically keep an eye on him, since he'll be taking in more visits this spring.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.[/B]

Troy Pride profile

Bucky

Apologies if this has already been covered, but have any additional details or rumors come out regarding his arrest, and what are the odds that he plays against OSU on September 7th?

It seems to me that the details will matter in this. i.e. if he was just being a drunk college kid acting up a little, he'll be OK, but if he was in a fight or shouting the wrong things at the wrong people (cops, women, etc) he'll have to sit.

Even with awesome "backups" in Malleck and Kline, this would be a huge loss.

So....

Did the staff take the DBU thing to heart and offer every DB they came across for 2016? We have so many other holes to fill at true positions of need. I just don't get it. I mean congrats to Mr Pride and welcome to the Hokie Nation aka DBU but seriously we can't play 165 pound guys at OT.

***INsider: Levi Cook & VT***

Guys, I caught up just a little while ago with Huntington Prep (WV) three-star center Levi Cook. As most of you should know, with Joey Van Zegeren leaving the program, VT is now possibly looking to take a big man for the 2015 class. It's not a definite by any means and would probably require some shuffling around of a scholarship.

Right now, Cook is the only real definite offer. There's not a ton remaining, though there are some JUCO guys the Hokies staff is looking at. But as has been said before, it's usually difficult to get JUCO guys in to VT.

Cook right now has offers from VT, Pittsburgh, East Tennessee, Appalachian State and Drexel. He was a onetime West Virginia commit a few years ago, but both sides parted ways. Cook didn't want to go much into it.

Cook is originally from Beckley, WV and has a cousin in Roanoke and had an uncle in Christiansburg at one point. Cook has visited VT, for the Hokies' loss to Notre Dame last month. He said he still liked the atmosphere and how the crowd was really into it, even though VT lost pretty bad.

It doesn't sound like Cook has any favorites, but he also doesn't sound enamored with the Hokies. He said he likes his recruiter, assistant coach Steve Roccaforte, a lot and knows Buzz Williams can coach from his days at Marquette. "It's gonna be a good program," Cook said.

No plans to return to VT right now, but he is planning on taking official visits to Pittsburgh the first week of March, Missouri and South Carolina. Cook had planned to see South Carolina three weeks ago, but the trip didn't work out. He's already visited Pitt, in December. Still pretty open here, but odds simply ok with the Hokies right now. And again, they might decide they don't want to continue to pursue Cook. Kinda open right now in a lot of aspects.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription[/B]

Levi Cook profile

Gibson At NFL Combine

Guys, a good day of testing today for senior OL Laurence Gibson at the NFL Draft combine in Indy. Here's how he performed:

6-foot-6, 305 pounds and with 10 3/8-inch hands

Bench press: 225 pounds 24 times

20-yard shuttle: 4.56-seconds

Vertical: 33.5 inches (best by one inch)

Broad Jump: 113 inches (ties for first)

40-yard dash: 5.04 seconds (third best)
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT