ADVERTISEMENT

Medical Observers At Games

Interesting press release from the ACC about an addition to the medical teams of each school in the conference:

When Atlantic Coast Conference teams kick off their football seasons later this week, additional sets of safety-conscious eyes will watch intently from on high.

As announced by Commissioner John Swofford at the ACC Kickoff on July 20, the 2015 season will include assigned medical observers from each team at every game. Each observer will occupy a specified location in the press box to monitor any visual indicators of potential injury to a student-athlete from his or her team.

Medical observers will have communication access to their teams’ medical staffs on the sidelines. Upon a medical observer’s notification of a visual indicator of an injury, that sideline personnel shall act upon that information in accordance with their institution’s athletics medical plan.

“The team-specific medical observer will have the benefit of knowing the medical history of the players,” Swofford noted. “Each game that we play, there will be two people in the booth – one from each school – that will have the sole purpose of observing what’s taking place on the field that somebody on the sidelines might not be able to see.”

The ACC initiative was unanimously approved by the conference’s athletic directors. In recent years, ACC member schools have taken the lead in concussion research and other player safety points of concern.

“In the areas of health and safety, I can’t say enough about our institutions,” Swofford said. “As a league, and personally as a former player, we are supportive and an advocate for making the game of football as safe as it can possibly be.”

Post-practice interviews: Offensive updates

Hey guys! I went to post-practice interviews and learned a couple of new things that I wanted to update y'all on:

- For starters, after talking with Shane Beamer it looks like the Hokies will NOT redshirt tailback Shai McKenzie.
- It looks like J.C. will be the definitive starter at tailback for the Hokies.
- Defensive tackle Corey Marshall, who did not come to the defensive interviews yesterday, is all set to go after his left ankle injury flared up last week.
- After questioning offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler about the status of tight end Kalvin Cline he said they would "know more later in the week." Offensive lineman Wade Hansen on the other hand mentioned that Cline was good to go and even had a one-handed catch in today's practice.

There will be more to come in tomorrow's article, but the Hokies seem prepared and ready to take on Ohio State. Thoughts?

Jovani Haskins Sets Official

Guys, he just tweeted this out a little while ago, but Bergenfield (NJ) four-star TE Jovani Haskins will be officially visiting VT this weekend and staying for the game. HUGE news for the Hokies as he's one of the top four targets on the board and along with Landon Dickerson, arguably the next important commitment to get. Haskins is ranked as the No. 8 TE in the country for 2016.
Login to view embedded media

Ask Antoine Hopkins Your Questions!

Guys, to help get you all ready for the Ohio State clash, we've got a pair of chat opportunities tomorrow. The other is listed on a separate thread, but former Hokies defensive tackle Antoine Hopkins is back to answer all your questions and talk about Virginia Tech and the season-opener.

Antoine will be joining us for our pre-game tailgate, but don't wait until then! Get answers from a form Hokie who's actually BEEN THERE and knows first-hand about big games!

Post your questions on this thread and throughout the day tomorrow (Thursday, Sept. 3), Antoine will be answering your questions!
1543997.jpg

VT's 2016 class off to the worst start in 15 yrs? By the numbers....yes

Disclaimer......VT's 2016 class may turn out to be a top 20 class if things change. Every kid in the class may become an NFL starter. Every kid in the class may become a first team All-American. I simply DO NOT know what will happen with each kid in the 2016 class or how the 2016 class will turn out as a whole. Nobody else does either....

Now.....numbers only. No emotion. Simply a fact here that I noticed.

You would have to go back to OVER 15 years ago at VT to have a class in which........of the first 13 players that have committed, not one of them is at least a four star player or above. Again, you have to go back over 1.5 decades to find a time at Virginia Tech in which not one of the first 13 players were at least 1 four star player or above.

Thoughts on the above....Could we land a total of 7 (five star players) to finish the class or land 10 more players of which all are 4 stars, etc? Maybe, again, I don't know the answer. I do know this.......the fact I gave you above is just that....it's a fact. To make the statement, "not much has changed and we are right on par with recruiting where we always have been" may not be accurate. It is hard to say. Is this is one year thing and not a trend? Time will tell.

***9.4 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, because of the holiday weekend, I figured a lot of you would be traveling later in the day. So this week, we'll be at our regular, 12:30 pm ET time slot. But we're just days away from the big Ohio State game! So plenty to talk about, including with recruiting, visitors for this weekend and more! Come take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and join us!

And remember, if you can't be with us live, you can always catch the replay, post on The Gobbler or email me directly.

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1JQ51CY

For Sale: 2 Tickets for Ohio State. Section 10, Row GG, Seats 9 and 11

I know it's last minute, but 2 family members will not be able to make the game on Monday. I have 2 extra seats available for purchase. Seats are together, Section 10, Row GG, Seats 9 and 11. Seats are located right as you walk up the tunnel.

I will only sell to HOKIES on this website and I will be arriving in Town Sunday afternoon. Will be flexible with meeting up to pass on the tickets Sunday afternoon or early Monday.

Looking for $200/Ticket

Austin

ahendersonvt@gmail.com

***INsider: Paris Ford Update***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a little while ago with Seton La Salle (Pa.) four-star safety Paris Ford, No. 33 in the 2017 Rivals100. He's had a VT offer for some time now.

First off, let me break the biggest news. Ford said he has five schools standing out right now: Pittsburgh, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Penn State and VT. With the Hokies, he really likes assistant coach Torrian Gray. Ford said the two of them actually talked earlier tonight. Ford told me multiple times how Gray was a "cool guy."

The thing is, Ford has never visited VT. He cancelled a visit there for Beamer's BBQ in late July and has yet to reschedule. So the key here is that visit. Without it, there's zero chance. Ford had hoped to visit for the Ohio State game Monday, but because it's on a Monday night, he told me he can't make it. Ford still called the Hokies "a sleeper" and said he won't be surprised if they upset Ohio State.

Ford mentioned how many people seem to think Pittsburgh is the favorite. He's born and raised there and literally lives on the other side of the bridge from the university, about a five minute drive, so he's been there a ton. He's also very tight with three-star CB Therran Coleman, who committed last weekend to the Panthers. But Ford said that won't affect his decision. Ford said that was the best move for Coleman, but said, "It doesn’t make an impact on me because we’re two different human beings."

It sounds like a slight leader here is Ohio State. When I asked if there's anything about the five in the lead that stood out to him, he talked about the Buckeyes, how he likes what they're doing and how he knows guys there. He also talked a little on Penn State and how he likes the energy of coach James Franklin.

I will say, two things stand out here. Ford is entertaining the thought of playing both ways in college, at safety and receiver. He also said he doesn't want to get terribly far from home. So to me, that sounds like Notre Dame is on the outskirts of those standouts. Ford talked about somewhere his family can drive to see him. The other four would fit that description. But we'll see. Also interesting that the schools he wants to visit most aren't any of those five listed, but Tennessee, Michigan and Michigan State. So keep an eye on where he visits this fall.

Basketball Schedule Released

The ACC just released the 2015-2016 basketball schedule. At first glance, I have VT at 10-3 entering ACC play and finishing the year 18-13 overall (8-10 in conference). I think VT got royally screwed by getting the wonderful opportunity to host in-state rival UVA on January 4, when every single student will be on winter break.

Date VT Rank Opponent Time/Result TV Location
Emerald Coast Classic
Sat., Nov 14, 2015 Alabama State 7 p.m. ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Wed., Nov 18, 2015 Jacksonville State 7 p.m. ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Nov 21, 2015 VMI TBA ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Tue., Nov 24, 2015 North Carolina A&T 7 p.m. ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Emerald Coast Classic
Fri., Nov 27, 2015 vs. Iowa State 7 p.m. CBSSN Destin, Fla.
Sat., Nov 28, 2015 Championship/Consolation TBA CBSSN Destin, Fla.
Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Tue., Dec 1, 2015 Northwestern 7 p.m. ESPNU Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Dec 5, 2015 Arkansas-Pine Bluff 3 p.m. ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Wed., Dec 9, 2015 at Radford TBA Radford, Va.
Sun., Dec 13, 2015 Lamar 3 p.m. ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Dec 19, 2015 Grambling State 6 p.m. ESPN3 Cassell Coliseum
Tue., Dec 22, 2015 vs. St. Joseph's TBA Brooklyn, N.Y.
Wed., Dec 30, 2015 West Virginia Noon ESPNU Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Jan 2, 2016 NC State * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum
Mon., Jan 4, 2016 Virginia * 9 p.m. ESPN2 Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Jan 9, 2016 at Duke * TBA TV Durham, N.C.
Wed., Jan 13, 2016 Wake Forest * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Jan 16, 2016 at Georgia Tech * TBA TV Atlanta, Ga.
Wed., Jan 20, 2016 at Notre Dame * TBA TV Notre Dame, Ind.
Sun., Jan 24, 2016 North Carolina * 6:30 p.m. ESPNU Cassell Coliseum
Wed., Jan 27, 2016 Louisville * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum
Sun., Jan 31, 2016 at Pittsburgh * 6:30 p.m. ESPNU Pittsburgh, Pa.
Tue., Feb 2, 2016 at Syracuse * TBA TV Syracuse, N.Y.
Sat., Feb 6, 2016 Clemson * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum
Tue., Feb 9, 2016 at Virginia * TBA TV Charlottesville, Va.
Wed., Feb 17, 2016 at Miami * TBA TV Coral Gables, Fla.
Sat., Feb 20, 2016 Florida State * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum
Tue., Feb 23, 2016 at Boston College * 9 p.m. ESPNU Chestnut Hill, Mass.
Sun., Feb 28, 2016 at Wake Forest * 6:30 p.m. ESPNU Winston-Salem, N.C.
Wed., Mar 2, 2016 Pittsburgh * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum
Sat., Mar 5, 2016 Miami * TBA TV Cassell Coliseum

VT Renames Baseball Facility For Weaver

Pretty nice gesture by VT to honor former AD Jim Weaver, who passed away earlier this summer:

Virginia Tech baseball’s hitting facility has been renamed in honor of the university’s former athletics director Jim Weaver, whose tenure from 1997-2013 saw tremendous development in the national profile of the university’s athletic programs.

Completed in 2009, the more than 8,000-square-foot facility (please see rendering attached) is one of multiple athletics buildings that were constructed or expanded during Weaver’s time at Virginia Tech, during which the university joined the BIG EAST Conference and later the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Weaver, who was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2004, died in July 2015 at age 70. A 1967 graduate of Penn State, he played football for Joe Paterno. Before coming to Virginia Tech, Weaver served as athletics director at Western Michigan University and at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

During his time at Virginia Tech, the Department of Athletics committed more than $220 million toward facilities, including the building Athletic Director of the Year by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics in May 2014. He was presented the John L. Toner Award by the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame in 2009 in recognition of his administrative abilities and dedication to college sports, particularly football.

That same year saw the opening of the baseball facility that now bears Weaver’s name. Located just beyond the left foul pole at English Field, it has four batting cages enclosed by netting that can be raised to expose an area that is nearly the size of a normal infield, allowing for fielding and throwing drills as well as hitting. The facility also includes three instructional video labs.

“To be able to train and develop our student-athletes in a facility named in honor of Jim Weaver is an absolute honor and privilege for our coaching staff and players,” Tech head baseball coach Patrick Mason said. “The James C. Weaver Baseball Center is the best indoor facility in the ACC, and it is only fitting that it will now, forever, be named for the man who helped build it.”

HokieHaven.com Tailgate Is Back!

Guys, I've mentioned it a few times, but our tailgate is back for a third season!

First off, a HUGE thanks to subscriber Hokies73 (Tom Hilts or better known to a lot of you as Uncle Tom) for letting us use his space (lot four, space 98 ---- next to the track) for our shindig! We'll be tailgating before every home game this season, starting with Ohio State on Monday. We'll be there at 3 pm, plenty of time for the 8 pm kickoff.

Also back is our sponsor, Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg! That means plenty of free wings to go around and we'll be raffling off a FREE gift card! Tom will have the grill fired up with burgers and hot dogs, so bring any sides and drinks you like and we'll supply the good time!

1731431.jpg

Looking forward to seeing a lot of you again who have tailgated with us the past two years and also to all you new faces! Hopefully you'll stop by, say hello and have a wing or two before the big game!

And just to make sure we're all straight, this tailgate is free and open to everyone, so bring your friends!

***INsider: Rayshard Ashby Update***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Class of 2017 three-star LB Rayshard Ashby, from LC Bird (Va.). He was offered by VT in late June, still his only offer to this point. But he's heard recently from Purdue, Wake Forest and NC State.

But it sounds like the Hokies have created a lot of distance, being the first to offer. Ashby camped June 13 at VT, though the offer came a few days later. Ashby said he loved the camp, in which he worked with defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coach Shane Beamer. He said he felt like he learned quite a bit, which he still uses today.

Ashby said the Hokies have talked to him about playing mike LB. And he's spoken most often with Foster and assistant coach Shane Beamer. Ashby is also visiting VT Monday for the Ohio State game, his only planned visit at this point.

Much too early here, as more offers are likely. Ashby isn't a four-star guy by any means, but he's the typical under the radar guy the Hokies like. Long way to go, but VT is in excellent progress right now.

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

***INsider: VT Trying To Sway Commit***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, wanted to pass on a pretty interesting tidbit, courtesy of our friend Adam Friedman.

So we know that Benedictine (Va.) four-star WR Scott Bracey committed to Duke last year and has remained pretty firm with that pledge. But for a while this spring and even over the winter, assistant coach Shane Beamer stayed in touch and continued to work him.

One of the biggest things with him and Duke was that coach David Cutcliffe promised Bracey a shot at quarterback. That seems to still be the case.

Bracey has told us that he still has been talking later with Beamer, who has told him he will get a shot wherever he wants with the Hokies. But as of late, Bracey seems to have opened up a little more with Beamer. he's still committed to duke, but Bracey told us that Virginia Tech is the only other school under consideration. He'll likely take a visit at some point in the near future, not sure officially or not, though he said he will not be in attendance Monday night for the Ohio State game.

Something to keep an eye on for sure.

Early contact: 2017 R250 DE Jake Lawler

Since midnight, 2017 Rivals250 DE Jake Lawler has heard from Clemson, Tennessee, North Carolina, Wake Forest, N.C. State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, California, Florida State, Virginia and Vanderbilt. He is planning on attending the Virginia Tech game against Ohio State, the Tennessee game against Oklahoma and possibly the North Carolina game against Duke.

Article: Early contact: 2017 R250 DE Jake Lawler
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT