ADVERTISEMENT

The New Class: Houshun Gaines

Guys, continuing our Q&A series with one of the Hokies' 2015 signees, Houshun Gaines: http://rvls.co/1Ret8Ny

Just as a side note, Gaines said he's up to 235 and wants to be 240 by later this summer. He said the VT staff has told him he'll still be at DE for now.

Also, Gaines just got done with track a few weeks ago, where he ran the 110m and 300m hurdles and threw discus. He finished third in his conference in the 300m hurdles.

***INsider: Josh Jackson On VT***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Saline (Mich.) three-star quarterback Josh Jackson, whom VT offered at the first of May. The first thing you'll wonder is why the Hokies offered.

Offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler coached quarterbacks at Michigan with Jackson's father, Fred Jackson, from 2002-07. Loeffler was also a student assistant, then graduate assistant, from 1996-99, when Jackson was also on staff as an assistant. So the family ties run way back. I should also mention that Fred Jackson is also no longer on staff at Michigan, leaving when Brady Hoke was fired and he's now sitting out the upcoming season.

Josh Jackson said he has 16 offers right now and claims no standouts. But the two schools he mentioned most were VT and Northwestern. I asked Jackson has anything he's seen, heard or knows about any schools stand out. He mentioned how Northwestern is building an indoor facility near Lake Michigan that "Looked sweet" and that Northwestern also has great academics and has recruited Jackson since he was a sophomore. He did mention West Virginia briefly and said he also visited Toledo and Michigan this spring. But with the new staff in Ann Arbor, I don't think he has a lot of connection there.

Jackson has not visited VT yet, but said he likes the Hokies' academics and tradition. He also said he's known Loeffler all his life and that they have a very strong connection. Jackson told me, "Being offered by him is cool." Jackson also said he likes the opportunity he could get at VT and with Loeffler, "I trust him as a coach to make me the best I can be."

Jackson has a visit set to VT for June 12-13, which right now is his only set visit. He said he also hopes to see West Virginia, Alabama and Penn State this summer. And right now, he's looking at a commitment around the end of June. If Jackson does make it to VT in a few weeks, I'd say the Hokies will be the top target. Right now, though, they're in very good position, but I wouldn't call them the leaders just yet.

Full story coming but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Memorial Day Thank You

I tweeted stuff out, too, but just wanted to say a thank you to all veterans, including those on this board. I know today is a day of remembrance for those who lost their lives fighting for our freedom, but my dad is a Vietnam veteran and I think this is also an opportunity to say thank you to all those veterans, including a lot of Hokies!
Reactions: cmmcclu

***INsider: Patrice Rene Latest***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Episcopal (Va.) four-star DB Patrice Rene, No. 160 in the Rivals250. As I've mentioned for a while, Rene is one of the very top defensive back targets left for VT in the 2016 class. He and Rivals250 safety Marlon Character are arguably the top two targets.

A little back story on Rene: He was born in Haiti to his parents, who are Haitian, moved to Ottawa, Ontario when he was four and has been in boarding school at Episcopal for the past few years. So as far as in-state guys, he might technically be one based on where he's in school, but he's definitely not an 'in-state' guy.

Assistant coach Torrian Gray has been up to see Rene multiple times, including last week. And Rene said he has a closer relationship with Gray than any other position coach. Rene visited VT for junior day in February and said he loved getting to talk to Frank Beamer in person. Defensive coordinator Bud Foster has also been in to see Rene multiple times this spring and that has also made a big difference.

The schools Rene mentioned most were VT, Rutgers, North Carolina and Ohio State. Along with Tennessee, he said "Those schools stand out only because I’ve known them for a while and I have a solid relationship with the coaches and getting to know the programs." He said those are also the ones recruiting him hardest.

Rene said he has 25 offers now and wanted to make a decision before the end of his junior year. This is his final week of school for the semester, though, so he said he wants to take more visits and go to more camps, then cut his list to five by next month. He hopes to make a decision either late July or early August.

Still time here, but Hokies are in excellent shape and have really made him a priority. Rene also cited Danny Coale being from Episcopal and how he knows how many DBs from VT have gone on to the NFL, notably Kam Chancellor.

Full story coming but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.
Reactions: GC1

***INsider: Marlon Character Talks Top Three***

Guys, the full story will be out tomorrow, but I spoke just a few minutes ago with Grady (Ga.) four-star safety Marlon Character, No. 195 in the Rivals250. As most of you saw and even from the tweet I embedded, Character tweeted a top three of VT, South Carolina and Ohio State:
Login to view embedded media Character said he actually plays both ways in school, WR and safety. He actually played mostly receiver in a seven-on-seven today in Atlanta. But he tells coaches who ask that he wants to play defense, because he feels like that's his best chance to get to the NFL and succeed in college. Character also returns punts and kicks.

I had him break down his top three and with VT, he likes the Hokies' track record of sending DBs to the NFL. He also said he feels like "I can be productive there" and he really likes Bud Foster and Torrian Gray. Character still has not visited Blacksburg yet, but here's the best news, he plans to visit for a whole weekend, June 19-21.

South Carolina sounds to be the other one that's right with VT. Character last visited there for the Gamecocks' game against Georgia last fall and plans on visiting again, June 13. This one though is only a one-day visit. Character said, "I can see myself playing there" and likes the overall energy in the program.

Of the three, the darkhorse sounds like Ohio State. Character has not visited there, either, and doesn't have a visit planned. But he likes the coaches and said they've "recruited me hard." Still, with no visit set and not saying a lot on the Buckeyes, it sounds like they're in a clear third.

Character said he doesn't have a date set to commit, but believes he'll be ready after his visits. Still, he said that will likely come in July, as he wants some time to think about his top three and his visits. Right now, it sounds like it's between VT and South Carolina and the upcoming visits will be the deciding factor. For the Hokies to be in this well without him visiting says a lot to where they stand.

Tired of VT being used as a blow up doll /backup insurance policy by recruits....

VT offers early------in hopes of gaining an advantage....recruits jump on it.....not because they are really gung ho for vt......but because its a place to land.......while they are out there seeing what other schools are going to offer that they feel has a bigger program name or conference........meanwhile , VT may have better player at a position (where VT already has filled that position's offers ....that really wants to come on board but can't ) only to see
a Bama, Clemson, OSU rush in at last minute steal our recruit because a rival stole one of theirs.

VT needs for figure out a way to intensify/ fortify / bond an intense obligation to honoring their commitmenst---
I don't know what happens when a player commits........if there are any formal letters that are signed. at the time........ if not, we should formulate a commitment welcoming package formally acknowledging / celebrating/congratulating them/ thanking them for coming on board... documenting the date. the recruiters involved, etc...... a mini -hokie bird statue......i.e. treat them like family, smother them with kindness, documenting their commitment......i.e. make them feel sooooo wanted & obligated to point (within NCAA written limits) that they would feel or come off looking like an crook. if they backed out........
...... We already have one who was "so thankful to VT -thrilled they were offered ---couldn't wait to play for VT in its home game with OSU".........only to be offered by OSU a day or so later......and withdrew his "I'm solid -soooo honored by VT offer" but dumped Vt in a mili-second ---- even if he doesn't play in the OSU game in BBurg....We need to run some sideline plays in his direction on the sideline where he was standing. I doubt he will be in Bburg when OSU comes. I am a firm believer in honoring commitments ---- if you don't ----you aren't worth one breath of the oxygen you breathe.
Reactions: DEXTERITY

***Location VT: South Carolina***

Guys, this is the fsecond of what will be a regular segment on VT recruiting. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Most Recent Offers:
None

Top targets:
WR, Sam Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 11 in SC (VT COMMIT) -- Beamer
CB Troy Pride, Greer (SC), three stars (VT COMMIT) -- Gray
OL Drew Wilson, Bamberg-Ehrhardt (SC), three stars -- Beamer, Searels

Recent Rivals Stories On VT SC Targets:
Troy Pride from TigerIllustrated.com, May 23: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768640

Overview:
After getting two early commits from South Carolina in Pride and Denmark, the Hokies have been relatively quiet in the Palmetto state. But there's a little action going on.

Denmark was on hand at Virginia Tech's spring game April 25, but Pride was nowhere to be seen. Of the Hokies' eight commitments, Pride was the only one who didn't plan on being at their spring game. Three-star DB Myles Wolfolk didn't make it, but said the poor weather was the biggest factor. Pride, though, has been shopping around since he committed. A day after his commitment, he was at a junior day at Georgia and also soon saw Georgia Tech. Others have been interested as well, including Clemson, Notre Dame, Michigan State, NC State and Duke. Of the guys committed to VT right now, Pride could stay put, but he's the likeliest to go elsewhere.

Wilson has been rather quiet of late. He did visit the Hokies this spring, but didn't make it to the spring game as he'd planned. Right now, he's waiting around through the summer on more possible offers, but VT has been in to see him during the spring evaluation period, so the interest is there.

The player the Hokies should get in on is Wando (SC) 2017 four-star wide receiver OrTre Smith. He dominated at the Charlotte stop of the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour, catching everything thrown near him and earning WR MVP. Smith only has nine offers right now, but that won't be the case for long. Smith should be a top 250 player who will command at least 20 offers, so for now, it's still relatively early.

Rivals national team analysis:
"I mean, as you go in and get two commits...I was actually looking at the state rankings the other day and Virginia Tech has just as much of a presence as South Carolina does right now. It remains to be seen how that will shake out. A lot of the players in South Carolina have been off the radar this spring, which is kind of disappointing.

I think VT is in a good spot with Pride and Denmark. I think they're in a better spot with Denmark. He seems more solid than the DB. Pride is gonna look around, he's gonna camp places and he's probably gonna run, test really well at schools that are hand-timing, because he's really fast. I'd put him in the 'maybe' pile because he likes to look around. But to have two commits from a state in the southeast, even South Carolina, they don't produce many players each year, but the guys they do produce see success. VT targeted two guys it likes, they got 'em and you can't complain about that."

-- Rivals.com southeast analyst Woody Wommack

Social Media:

Login to view embedded media

Troy Pride Recruiting Update

This from our friend Paul Strelow at TigerIllustrated.com, our Clemson site. Three-star cornerback commit Troy Pride is still being pursued by a few schools, including Clemson. If you'll remember, he's also the only one of the Hokies' eight current commitments who hadn't planned on being at VT's spring game. Myles Wolfolk didn't make it because of the weather, but had originally intended to.

Pride story: http://rvls.co/1dqLAV0

Location VT: Georgia

Guys, this is the first of what will be a regular segment on VT recruiting. I've alluded to a series coming. This is it. I'll be breaking down where VT stands in the states it recruits, plus DC and the northeast, since the Hokies are only up there sporadically.

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

New Offers:
OL Andrew Thomas, Pace Academy (Ga.), 2017, three stars -- Searels
OL Patrick Kearns, Darlington (Ga.), 2016, two stars -- Searels
QB Trevor Lawrence, Cartersville (Ga.) 2018 -- Loeffler
LB Robert Beal, Norcross (Ga.), 2017, four stars -- Gray

Top targets:
Safety Marlon Character, Grady (Ga.), 2016, four stars, No. 195 in Rivals250 -- Gray
LB Tyrone Hopper, Roswell (Ga.), 2016, four stars, No. 47 OLB, No. 53 in GA -- Gray
LB Emmanuel Belmar, Collins Hill (Ga.), 2016, three stars -- Gray

Recent Rivals Stories On VT GA Targets:
Marlon Character from GamecockCentral.com, May 16: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1766086
Andrew Thomas from HokieHaven.com, May 21: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768123
Andrew Thomas from TheWolverine.com, May 23: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1767929
Robert Beal from UGASports.com, May 10: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1764940
LeAnthony Williams from TheWolverine.com, May 15: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1766588
Trevor Lawrence from TigerBait.com, May 15: http://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1765316

Overview:
The Hokies have some big offers out in Georgia, most notably to five-star defensive tackle Derrick Brown, five-star athlete Demetris Robertson, Rivals100 athlete Mecole Hardman and Rivals100 linebacker Tre Lamar. But they're not really in the mix with any of that group as they've all turned their attention elsewhere.

The guy to really watch here is Rivals250 safety Marlon Character from Grady (Ga.). Virginia Tech usually always has a chance with any big-time defensive back and that's definitely the case here. Character, No. 195 in the Rivals250, told HokieHaven.com in early April that he had a top five of VT, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina. He'd planned to visit for the Hokies' spring game, but wasn't able to make it. Still, he remains the top safety target and assistant coaches Torrian Gray and Stacy Searels visited him a few weeks ago. They remain in constant contact. Still, VT needs him to visit soon to have a good chance here, but right now, they're firmly in the mix.

One of the recruits who looked most likely to commit was Belmar, who did make it for the Hokies' spring game. Going into that weekend, he was thought to be the favorite to commit. But the weekend came and went without any decision and while Virginia Tech is still the leader for now, he continues to look around. Interest continues to come from elsewhere, though no big-timers have gotten involved. Middle Tennessee, Memphis and Old Dominion are his most recent offers.

Hopper also looked to be closing in with the Hokies earlier in the spring, as he made multiple visits to Blacksburg. But Tennessee is now the biggest contender, with Virginia Tech still hanging in right at the top. Another recruit who needs to return this summer for the Hokies to feel good about.

Georgia is certainly a state that Virginia Tech is getting into more, especially with Searels' connections. Right now, though, it's still too early to say whether the Hokies have made much progress on their new offers. Lawrence is a likely future five-star player, though and a good player to get in relatively early with.

Rivals national team analysis:
"It seems like they're in a relatively good spot with Character. I know we heard a lot about them initially and then not so much. It looked like he was gonna go to Georgia, but I just don't think he and Georgia are gonna happen. Some of the guys they've taken, they just took Chad Clay, so that opens the door for Virginia Tech and Character seems to like 'em. He's kinda been off the radar this spring because he's been hurt, but I have a feeling there will be some big events and he'll be back on the map. I like their position with him.

I haven't heard much from Hopper lately, but if they can get Character, I would consider that a huge get. I really like him as a player. I like him better than some of the other guys that even the SEC schools are getting. To be in the mix with him and hanging around there, he's in an influential group of younger players as well. If he were to go up there, I think that would help them not only now, but down the road with some younger guys."

-- Rivals.com southeast analyst Woody Wommack

Social Media:

Contest #2, May 16-23

• This contest is for zero cash and 2 pts in the grand prize running.
  • Open to all rivals posters with a minimum of 50 forum comments.
  • All entries must be posted in this thread by midnight May 23rd.
  • Right is reserved to add, edit, delete or modify rules at any time in the interest of fairness and contest integrity.
  • When you enter any contest you'll receive a passcode with which you can view the grand prize scoreboard and previous contest winners here--> SCOREBOARD

CONTEST:

The Greatest Play In VT History

Using between 30-50 words, give your description of what was the greatest VT football play ever. Here's the catch though; you cannot use the letters "t" and "e" anywhere in your description. Greatness of the actual play will be a factor in judging but not the only one. Comedic overtone, and how you work around the lack of "t" and "e" dilemma with humor in your description without sacrificing spelling will be highly valued when judging.

Selecting a winner

1. If there are 4 or less entries, one will be chosen by a moderator other than SBW.
  2. 5-7 entries- two will be chosen and put before a board vote.
  3. 6-9 entries- three will be chosen and put before a board vote.
  4. 10 or more entries- 4 will be chosen and put before a board vote.
This contest is for a prize of 2 pts toward the 10 pt grand prize of $25 cash. To receive any cash prize including the grand prize, you must have a paypal account. Paypal accounts are free and it's quick and easy to sign up for one.

This thread is for contest posts only. If you have a comment, please add it in your contest post. Comments lacking legitimate contest entries will be deleted. (so that all entries are grouped together at end of contest)

If you have questions, email or message Sunny. Good luck and may Babcock be with you.

WR Deablo names top five

In the video linked below WR Divine Deablo names a top five of NC State, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolin and Virginia Tech. He says NC State has really caught his eye. Deablo has been trying to build relationships with Louisville and West Virginia also. He hopes to visit all 7 schools before committing around the beginning of the season. He is an early graduate so he isn't sure about taking official visits.

http://rvls.co/1PC0rN8

Anthony Brown Off The Board

Guys, it was missed largely last night, but three-star QB Anthony Brown committed to Boston College. I was definitely wrong on this one and I'll admit it. He gave me a top four of VT, BC, Northwestern and Syracuse, but it sounded to me like Syracuse is where he was leaning to. He spoke more about the Orange than anyone else. Here's the story from our BC site: https://virginiatech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1768634

4-star FSU commit Brown talks recent & upcoming visits

Four-star Florida State commit Josh Brown committed to the Noles back in September and he has taken a handful of visit since then. Oregon, Alabama, Virginia Tech and Tennessee along with Florida State have hosted Brown over the past couple months. In the video below he talks about all of those visits and says he wants to visit Georgia and Florida. Brown will take all of his official visits and says he will use one to go to the FSU/Miami game.

Video: 4-star FSU commit Brown talks recent & upcoming visits
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT