ADVERTISEMENT

We Are In Good Company

Small consolation for the frustration we feel, but historically many of the prominent, biggest name football programs have experienced a decline into mediocrity. Football runs in cycles and no one sustains a high level of success forever. We had a nice 20 or so year run of annual relevance, national rankings, etc.. I hate to see it end...for a fourth year in a row. If we're truly an established brand in college football circles then we should be able to return to a high level at some point in the fairly near future. All the other "major" name brand programs were able to do so in usually no more than about 5 years.

But think about it and take some solace in the fact that all the following programs have had downturns of various lengths just in the last 20 years...Miami, FSU,Penn State,Nebraska,Michigan,Texas,Oklahoma,USC,UCLA,Washington,Colorado,Bama,Tennessee,Auburn, TAMU,Florida, Notre Dame, and others.

Nothing lasts forever. It's our turn to struggle and have to climb back into the national picture. I hope it doesn't take 20 years.

We could have the same

Line as the Dolphins had in the 80's and 90's. They gave Motely all day to pass and we still can't run block very good at all. Marino had great pass blocking lines and they never could rush. Not saying that's what I want but maybe we play to that strength and pass to run vs run to pass. And only running that was ok was the power sweep and you can only do that with the big uglies so many times. Some counters were good also.
2nd qtr on we came out passing seemed 80%. And we were airing it out more than 20 yards which gets the dbs off the line then we started running better.

***INsider: VT/NC State Visitors***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, with it being a Friday night, not a lot of visitors are expected tonight for the NC State game. Nearly all the games in Southwest VA were moved to last night or tomorrow, so a few local products will be on hand, but not really any big ones of note.

There are two big names in town. One of them will be on an official visit, three-star DT Jarrod Hewitt from Venice (Fla.). He decommitted from Rutgers last month and assistant coach Charley Wiles has been hard on him even before that. So definitely a possibility for a commitment here before the weekend is over.

The other notable visitor is an unofficial, LC Bird (Va.) LB Rayshard Ashby. The Hokies offered in June.

McMillan

Glad to see that he got the carriers tonight other than Rogers and Strohman on the jet sweep, I didn't see Edmonds or JC at all. That 3 horse race rotation hasn't worked. But last night when you gave it to the guy that needed it they did. That was a good change o personnel and props to whoever made the call to keep going with TM.

• Poll
Who should start at QB tonight?

Who would YOU start tonight if you were the big whistle?

• Motley

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Lawson

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Durkin

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I've seen enough of Motley to know he's not the guy.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Starting Lawson behind this OL is not helpful to his development..

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • No way Brewer is ready physically, so he won't play.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Brewer is my QB and will start if the med staff says he's ready

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Starting Lawson now helps us next year (and can't be any worse now)

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Contrary to the critics, Motley has played well enough to keep the job

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • If the QB is just a battering ram or the jet sweep pivot, I may as well try Durkin.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Motley, Lawson, Brewer or Durkin?

Tom Herman

After watching Huston play last night I'm on board. I know it was against a bad SMU team, but he has elevated that team way above that conference with a similar recruiting class to everyone else. I think we can all agree the ACC isn't one of the best power 5 conference, so there's a good chance he could do the same here. Of course this is all just wishful thinking by me... A man can dream. I'm excited to see how he does against some of the better teams in that conference.
Reactions: GC1

Tonight's Game

Just a weather update: they are delaying the opening of the gates until 7:15pm because of the weather.

The dark scary clouds came on fast! Before I knew it, I looked outside and it was a totally different scene. I am in the press box though and will keep you all updated through the live chat. Join me at 7:30pm :)

Right now the rain just instantly came down hard and most of the staff was seen sprinting out of the stadium to take cover. Everyone stay safe! Reports say this storm should only last about 10 minutes... we will see but as of right now it will be the third straight game in the rain.

Thanks y'all!

HH Tailgate Pre-NC State!

Guys, I mentioned it in another thread but wanted to let everyone know that our tailgate will be up and running again tomorrow! We'll get going with our friend Uncle Tom (hokies73) at 4:30 pm in the usual spot, lot 4, space 98 next to the track. Look for the HokieHaven.com banner.

Courtesy of our sponsor, Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg, we'll have plenty of wings and be giving away FREE gift cards! Plus, Tom will have the grill fired up with plenty of hot dogs and burgers. Bring a side and/or drink if you like and come join us for some good chatter!

Beamer is a Cat with 9 Lives

I told all of you YEARS ago he was terminally ill with The Bowden Syndrome. He has continued his consistent and amazing streak of me Mediocrity without getting fired. Last year I posted he died, but yet was spared another life to live on and continue to destroy the once proud Va Tech.

Va tech Fans and Admin, let me tell you the deal. Just like Bobby Bowden, you must give a guy like Beamer a couple of extra years when anybody else would have been FIRED just because they built the program. I can live with that. Granted, idiot Florida State kept Bowden 3-5 years too long.

If you go beyond this you risk setting the program back 5-10 years.

if you continue to go byond that like your admin has, you evolve into a new program of Mediocrity. Before you know if, all the kids from Pre-K to high school is too young to remember the Michael Vick days. They have only seen growing up a 4-5 loss team each year and this is when you have died

REPORT: Maryland To Fire Edsall

Guys, I know this doesn't concern VT directly because of Maryland no longer being in the ACC, but interesting development with the Terps. According to the 247 site covering Maryland, InsideMDSports.com, the firing of coach Randy Edsall is immanent and likely to occur sometime during the team's bye. I post this because VT recruits against the Terps, including with Rivals250 WR Tino Ellis. Likely, Ellis and others aren't going anywhere, as they committed more for proximity and the 'DMV Movement' than anything else. But something to keep an eye on:
Login to view embedded media Also what would keep Ellis on board there is that QB Dwayne Haskins, whom Ellis is very tight with, tweeted Edsall's firing wouldn't affect his decision:
Login to view embedded media

HH Tailgate Pre-NC State!

Guys, I mentioned it in another thread but wanted to let everyone know that our tailgate will be up and running again tomorrow! We'll get going with our friend Uncle Tom (hokies73) at 4:30 pm in the usual spot, lot 4, space 98 next to the track. Look for the HokieHaven.com banner.

Courtesy of our sponsor, Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg, we'll have plenty of wings and be giving away FREE gift cards! Plus, Tom will have the grill fired up with plenty of hot dogs and burgers. Bring a side and/or drink if you like and come join us for some good chatter!

Who are the candidates for new HC

I'm not here to bash the current staff and I give them credit for getting VT where it is today. But we all know that within the next year or two we will be getting a new coaching staff. Unless they promote Bud or Shane, I believe both those guys will be gone.

So keeping it realistic (in other words don't say Chip Kelly) who are the candidates you'd like to see come to VT, why, and what kind of offensive/defensive scheme would you like them to bring?

For me? I like Arizona's coach like most of you and think because of his ties with Whitt he is the most realistic choice.

And I won't lie... I'm a fan of the up tempo spread game so if a coach brings that to VT I'm not against it.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT