ADVERTISEMENT

REPORT: Maryland To Fire Edsall

Guys, I know this doesn't concern VT directly because of Maryland no longer being in the ACC, but interesting development with the Terps. According to the 247 site covering Maryland, InsideMDSports.com, the firing of coach Randy Edsall is immanent and likely to occur sometime during the team's bye. I post this because VT recruits against the Terps, including with Rivals250 WR Tino Ellis. Likely, Ellis and others aren't going anywhere, as they committed more for proximity and the 'DMV Movement' than anything else. But something to keep an eye on:
Login to view embedded media Also what would keep Ellis on board there is that QB Dwayne Haskins, whom Ellis is very tight with, tweeted Edsall's firing wouldn't affect his decision:
Login to view embedded media

HH Tailgate Pre-NC State!

Guys, I mentioned it in another thread but wanted to let everyone know that our tailgate will be up and running again tomorrow! We'll get going with our friend Uncle Tom (hokies73) at 4:30 pm in the usual spot, lot 4, space 98 next to the track. Look for the HokieHaven.com banner.

Courtesy of our sponsor, Bull & Bones Brewhaus & Grill in Blacksburg, we'll have plenty of wings and be giving away FREE gift cards! Plus, Tom will have the grill fired up with plenty of hot dogs and burgers. Bring a side and/or drink if you like and come join us for some good chatter!

Who are the candidates for new HC

I'm not here to bash the current staff and I give them credit for getting VT where it is today. But we all know that within the next year or two we will be getting a new coaching staff. Unless they promote Bud or Shane, I believe both those guys will be gone.

So keeping it realistic (in other words don't say Chip Kelly) who are the candidates you'd like to see come to VT, why, and what kind of offensive/defensive scheme would you like them to bring?

For me? I like Arizona's coach like most of you and think because of his ties with Whitt he is the most realistic choice.

And I won't lie... I'm a fan of the up tempo spread game so if a coach brings that to VT I'm not against it.

A downside to a new HC

Lawson could leave.

His HS coach is on staff and could be moved out the door by a new HC. Lawson has a RS year to sit if he transfers and would have three years thereafter. Not saying he would leave, but I'm also not sure how much of a factor his HS coach was in his commitment.

Not a reason to keep anyone around, but worth noting.

R100 OL Dickerson unfiltered

I caught up with Rivals100 OL Landon Dickerson today before practice. In the video interview he previewed his upcoming FSU official visit and seems to be really looking forward to it. We also talked about Auburn, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Georgia.

Dickerson had some really candid responses to questions about where each school stands with him and what some of the things are that he is looking for that will impact his decision. It was pretty refreshing with most recruits giving boring, recycled answers that don't tell you much.

Dickerson also said he is very interested in Texas A&M but they have not offered yet. If the Aggies do offer they might get an official visit.

Auburn will still host Dickerson for an official visit for the Iron Bowl but no other official visits are set up yet.

Video: Rivals100 OL Landon Dickerson Unfiltered

Schemes/Coaching are the Problem

I share the frustration many of you have with the failures in recruiting top quality VA recruits and our inability to get more of the 4 and 5 star recruits. The fact of the matter is that we have consistently been in the low 20's in the ranking of our recruiting classes each of the past 4 years and that is pretty respectable. There was a time when VA tech was one of the teams consistently lauded for doing more with less through excellent coaching. Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed. I believe our coaches, even Foster to an extent, are in a rut in terms of schemes, coaching styles, and even player development. Other schools. like Baylor and TCU, with far lower ranked recruiting classes the last 4 years are doing great through innovative coaching, schemes, play calling, and player development. The proof is in the pudding. We all know the kind of success TCU and Baylor have enjoyed the last few years. Below are their recruiting class rankings for the past 4 years compared to ours. Don't tell me it can't be done with our recruits. We just need the coaches who can make it happen.

2015 2014 2013 2012 Avg

VA Tech 24 25 23 22 23.5
Baylor 43 35 31 45 38.5
TCU 34 50 30 37 37.7

***INsider: P.k. Kier Latest***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Millbrook (Va.) 2017 three-star RB P.K. Kier. He's also ranked by Rivals.com as the No. 17 player in Virginia for his class. Kier was on hand for the VT/Ohio State game last month, but for right now doesn't have an offer from the Hokies. He took the visit with one of his friends, three-star LB Dylan Rivers.

So far, Kier has offers from Appalachian State, Old Dominion and James Madison. He said he's heard a lot recently from Northwestern, but also has a lot of recent interest from VT, Penn State, Duke, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt.

With the Hokies, the Ohio State game was his first game at Lane Stadium, though he visited for a junior day in February. Kier said he loved the atmosphere and the coaches. He's also talked regularly with assistant coach Torrian Gray, who said VT will continue to look at his film.

This weekend, Kier will visit Penn State. He's been to multiple JMU games and also wants to see games at Duke and Old Dominion. And when i asked Kier what schools had stood out, aside from VT, he mentioned JMU and Penn State.

Still very early here, but Kier is certainly on the radar. He likes the proximity with JMU, but that's also what the Hokies have going for them.

Brewer After Practice

Hi y'all! Interviews this evening were held with two coaches: wide receivers coach Zohn Burden and defensive secondary coach Torrian Gray. In addition, there were five student athletes: Trey Edmunds, Michael Brewer, Mook Reynolds, Wade Hansen, and Greg Stroman. Here are a few tidbits from this evening:

-- Greg Stroman played in the wide receiver position today and made some connections with Brewer.
-- Michael Brewer is looking to be officially cleared by the doctors but had his first practice with the pads on today, but still no contact. He is confident that he will be cleared by Friday.
-- According to Brewer, his injury status was that it was broken on the left side down the middle and fractured in two other places but he has metal surgically placed in to fix it. It does not hurt when he throws even though at first it was slightly uncomfortable.
-- There is not an official "five" for the offensive line; coaches have been giving everyone reps to see who gives the best protection.

Check out more updates from my story that will be out by tomorrow! :)

***INsider: VT Offense, OL Insight***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I was on hand today at the Blacksburg Sports Club's weekly luncheon, with assistant coach Stacy Searels as the speaker. As I've done in previous weeks, I wanted to pass on what he shared:

*It sounds like it's about 80% that freshman Yosuah Nijman will get the start at left tackle Friday against NC State over junior Jonathan McLaughlin, who struggled mightily against Pittsburgh. Searels said about Nijman, "That joker's gonna be a good player in time. But I need that time to be now." Searels wouldn't confirm that Nijman would start, but based on what he said and how he said it, it seems very likely. He also said the OL will be based off of practice this week. "You guys will have to look to see who runs out first on Friday," Searels said.

**Searels talked plenty on the poor play against Pittsburgh. "I'm responsible for the offensive line," he said. "It's us as a unit who didn't work together. We had breakdowns in crucial situations with fundamentals and technique. It was a meltdown at times. It stunk. We have to trust our fundamentals and our technique."

Searels also later added, "We have to not let one bad play make other bad plays. That result, that was as poor an outing as I've ever experienced. I take full responsibility.

***The one guy Searels praised was senior Wade Hansen at right tackle. Searels said that was the best game he's seen Hansen play. But he also said that's the perfect example of the line being a unit and not one player.

****Searels was asked about senior quarterback Michael Brewer's return. Searels didn't say a lot, but did say he's been impressed by his quick return and how Brewer is getting better. "That kid has worked extremely hard to get back." Searels reiterated that Brewer will be a game-time decision Friday.

*****Searels said today, the line will be working on short yardage and goal line situations. He said the Hokies have "a tremendous plan. We wanna play fast and win. We have a standard that will be met as a team. We've gotta have the right effort, technique and mindset and if we do that, we'll be fine."

"You have a great tradition here and we will uphold that tradition."

******One of the questions Searels received was on his own health. He coached against Pittsburgh, but missed the trip to East Carolina due to sciatic nerve pain in his back. Searels said his back is better but that he still can't sit for very long. He said he's "lived on an air mattress" in his office the past three weeks. Searels said he's missed three days of work in his life: when each of his daughters were born and when he had to miss for ECU. But he also made a funny remark on his back: "It's amazing how when you snap on someone, the pain is gone."

We Totally Abandoned a Winning Formula

I trace our demise as a perennial national contender to the point in time when we abandoned our tried and true winning formula that had been VT's identity for so many years.

Namely, we stopped being a power running team primarily out of the I-formation on offense and we moved away from the whip linebacker concept on defense and basically morphed into a 4-2-5 set for the most part.

We rarely run the ball vertically anymore and except for the last 4 games in 2014(by necessity due to injuries) have not had a featured back...the "committee approach" has been a complete failure as has Loeffler's "love" of the horizontal running game.

It wasn't pretty, and some would say it was boring, but back in the program's prime we ran off tackle, sprinkled in some pure option to the edges and passed off play action. We controlled the clock, we protected the ball, we didn't often "beat ourselves" and we were masters of playing "field position" football, relying on our strong defense and taking advantage of the OTHER TEAM's mistakes that would usually present themselves throughout the game.

Our defenses were agressive but smart. We picked our spots to blitz and the pressure might come from anywhere...especially from the whip linebacker spot or a corner. We always had an excellent athlete at the whip which became a key playmaking position on VT's defense. We confused opponents with COMBINATIONS of zone and man coverage.

Now, it seems Bud has virtually abandoned the 4-3 look as our basic defense in favor of a nickel back. All we play is man defense in the secondary. We bring pressure on every play leaving us vunerable to huge gains for QB's who escape the pocket and have wide open running lanes into the second level since our DB's have their backs turned racing downfield in man coverage across the board.

I don't think its practical to change an offense and a defense in the middle of a season, but if I was Beamer I'd sure try and move back to the BASICS of what VT football used to be.

Unfortunately, "used to be" is the operative phrase and all we can do is hope that the next "coaching era" brings its own distinct formula for a winning program in the future.

***10.8 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, due to VT's game on Friday, we'll be doing this week's chat at 12:30 pm ET TOMORROW (Thursday). Always plenty going on with the Hokies, as our message board indicates. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have pertaining to or relating to VT. So take advantage of and get the very most out of your subscriptions and join us! If you can't, you can always post questions here or email me.

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1OlmMfj

ALSO, be thinking about next week's chat. I'm flying to Miami next Friday, so we'll have another Thursday chat. I'll put it up for vote whether 12:30 or 3 works better for everyone.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT