ADVERTISEMENT

Decommitments

For defense, much less likely.
For offense, an unknown to all the commitments. Has to build relationship and show value to the athlete fast.

This is open and honest with VT.

"I'm not sure, you should be looking for an alternative and I wouldn't feel right you holding my scholarship. I want to check out some other schools that I considered, and will obviously still consider VT. I don't have much time and need to act quickly."

I would want these guys back.

So, looking at some numbers here...

Fuente was the co-OC at TCU from 09-11 when the Horned Frogs averaged scoring 38.3, 41.6 and 40.8 pts/gm. After two brutal start-from-scratch years at Memphis, his last two offenses averaged scoring 36.2 and 42.3 pts/gm. The five numbers I listed above gives his offenses a scoring average of 39.9 pts/gm over that time frame. If you include the rebuilding years, then it's about 5 pts/gm lower, but I'm hesitant to include rebuilding at Memphis in the same light as taking over at VT.

Since 2009, VT has averaged scoring 31.8, 33.9, 27.9, 25.1, 22.5, 24.1 and 29.0 pts/gm, for an overall average of 27.8 pts/gm.

This gives a difference of 12.2 pts/gm on average. So, what would our schedules have looked like since 2009 with 12 more pts/gm added in? Why, glad you asked...

2009 : 12-0 (8-0)
#5 Bama - W 36-34
Marshall - W 64-10
#19 Nebraska - W 28-15
#9 Miami - W 43-7
Duke - W 46-26
BC - W 60-14
#19 GT - W 35-28
UNC - W 29-20
ECU - W 28-3
Maryland - W 48-9
NCSU - W 50-10
Uva - W 54-13

2010 : 12-0 (8-0)
#3 Boise St - W 42-33
JMU - W 28-21
ECU - W 61-27
BC - W 31-0
#23 NCSU - W 53-30
Cent Mich - W 57-21
WF - W 64-21
Duke - W 56-7
GT - W 40-21
UNC - W 38-10
#24 Miami - W 43-17
Uva - W 49-7

2011 : 11-1 (7-1) *** no change...we were really good either way
App State - W 78-13
ECU - W 29-10
Ark State - W 38-7
Marshall - W 42-10
#13 Clemson - L 15-23
Miami - W 50-35
WF - W 50-17
BC - W 42-14
Duke - W 26-10
#21 GT - W 49-26
UNC - W 36-21
Uva - W 50-0

2012 : 8-4 (5-3) *** marginal improvement...it would've been a down year either way
GT - W 29-17
Austin Peay - W 54-7
Pitt - L 29-35
Bowling Green - W 49-0
Cincy - W 36-27
UNC - L 46-48
Duke - W 53-20
#19 Clemson - L 29-38
Miami - L 24-30
#10 FSU - W 34-28
BC - W 35-23
Uva - W 29-14

2013 : 11-1 (8-0)
#1 Bama - L 22-35
W Carolina - W 57-3
ECU - W 27-10
Marshall - W 33-21
GT - W 29-10
UNC - W 39-17
Pitt - W 31-9
Duke - W 22-13
BC - W 39-34
#11 Miami - W 54-24
Maryland - W 33-21
Uva - W 28-6

2014 : 11-1 (7-1)
Bill&Mary - W 46-9
#8 Ohio State - W 47-21
ECU - W 33-28
GT - W 36-27
WMU - W 47-17
UNC - W 46-17
Pitt - W 28-21
Miami - L 18-30
BC - W 43-33
#21 Duke - W 29-16
WF - W 15-3
Uva - W 36-20

2015 : 11-1 (8-0)
#1 Ohio State - L 36-42
Furman - W 56-3
Purdue - W 63-24
ECU - W 36-35
Pitt - W 25-17
NCSU - W 36-13
Miami - W 32-30
#23 Duke - W 36-24
BC - W 38-10
GT - W 35-21
#17 UNC - W 36-24
Uva - W 35-20

Combined record since 2009: 76-8 (90.1%)
Record against top 25 opponents: 14-4
Record against top 10 opponents: 5-2
Record against top 5 opponents: 2-2

Folks, 12 extra pts/gm on offense is a pretty big deal when you're swinging a Bud Foster defense. And the numbers above don't take into account any residual effects such as high level recruits WANTING to come play in this offense and to play for national titles, which would likely be the case.
Reactions: Salemite

ECU Fires Ruffin McNeill

ECU fired Ruffin this morning. Pretty surprising. 5-7 this year after 10-3 a year ago. I could see ECU as a fit for Shane Beamer if they think he's ready to be a head man. They obviously think they are better than what Ruffin gives them, so they have to be shooting for some hotshot, young assistant to take them into Memphis/Houston range.

Playoffs

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Okalhoma
4. Iowa
5. Michigan State
6. The team from Ohio

The Okies and Iowa should not be in top 4. The worst thing that could happen is UNC beat Clemson, then the team from Ohio will get in over UNC. I think that is BS. I am not a UNC fan, but if they beat Clemson the #1 team, then UNC should be in playoffs. As for Okies, they have not beat anyone except an over ranked Ok State team.

***INsider: Kyle Mayberry On VT Offer***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Booker T Washington (Okla.) three-star CB Kyle Mayberry, one of the latest to receive a VT offer from VT and new coach Justin Fuente.

Mayberry said the offer came yesterday afternoon, so Fuente wasted no time to offer him. So technically, Mayberry is the very first offer by Fuente with the Hokies. He was offered when Fuente was at Memphis.

Mayberry is currently committed to Kansas and has been since July. He said that's still the case as "I still stand strong with them." But he also said he's open to others who might still offer.

What's kind of funny is Mayberry said he's never been to the east coast. He's only been north of Oklahoma and to the west coast. When I asked what he knew about Virginia, he said he knew there was a beach. But Mayberry said he's very familiar with the players who have come through VT and specifically mentioned Kyle and Kendall Fuller, Michael Vick and Kam Chancellor. Mayberry said thre Hokies have offered him to be a cornerback and returner on special teams.

It sounds like an official visit to VT will be coming for Mayberry. He currently has not taken any official visits. Mayberry has only unofficially been to Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri and Nevada. But with the Hokies, Mayberry told me, "I'd be a fool to not like the school and not say it's appealing."

***INsider: Thanksgiving VT Coach Search Update***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, first of all, happy Thanksgiving to all of you! My family isn't having our meal until tonight, so I've managed to check with some sources and get some more info for you guys to much on while you're chowing down on a big turkey leg. It might be a holiday, but I'm still working feverishly to deliver all the info that you guys pay to receive.

First off, I've heard zero mention of Tom Herman. And only a little bit of Chad Morris. It sounds like the one Whit Babcock wished there would have been more with is Mark Richt. But as I've mentioned before, it sounds like an almost certainty that unless Georgia craps the bed against Georgia Tech and in the Bulldogs' bowl, Richt will return there next year. Defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt will take the fall and be gone after the season.

All signs, as I've reported for about a week and a half now, point to Memphis' Justin Fuente as Virginia Tech's coach. He has been for about two weeks and continues to be the overwhelming front-runner. I mentioned it on my INsider the other day, but all signs point to Fuente.

As I have for the past week and a half, I've also been hearing intel about Fuente's potential staff. And that's always a hell of a sign, when coaches are aligning themselves. I mentioned last week about Barry Odom, Fuente's defensive coordinator at Memphis the last three seasons before he went to Missouri this season. Fuente has told him that he'll bring Odom with him if he wants to come. Odom in a few ways is the linchpin to figuring out a potential staff. Odom is still a top candidate for the Missouri head coaching job and I've been told from trusted sources who follow that situation that Odom has been the only one interviewed there so far. They also expect a decision there later next week.

If Odom doesn't get the Missouri job, trusted sources at Memphis have said that the Tigers job "is his if he wants it." The question is how long Memphis would wait on Odom to find out something at Missouri. So The Hokies would be the fallback option if those don't work out.

The guy to really watch that Fuente would bring is his co-offensive coordinator, Brad Cornelsen. I'm told that has been his right-hand man with the Tigers. The others that seem likeliest to make the move with Fuente are wide receivers coach Holmon Wiggins. One reason is that Wiggins recruits Georgia and has done very well there the past few years. Fuente wants to surround himself with a good mix of young and veteran coaches and I'm told another guy who would likely make the move is his special teams coordinator/TEs coach James Shibest.

Also, I'm told that again by extremely trusted sources, it is HIGHLY unlikely that Bud Foster stays on board. He's looked into Illinois, as mentioned in our last INsider and has spoken with Georgia about replacing Pruitt when that move happens. So Bud will certainly have options. I'm not ruling him out, as I never say never until it's done, but odds are slim. And he's taking Charley Wiles with him wherever he goes. The others are still up in the air, as Torrian Gray could always go somewhere else, perhaps as a low-FBS level defensive coordinator.

I can tell you for a fact that VT's search will wrap up in the next week, but likely no later than the first of next week. Again, there is NO DONE DEAL with any coach yet. But it's awfully close. I'm told an offer will likely be made over the next couple of days.

Richt to Miami

Being reported as likely done or completely done by just about everyone now. Really like this for the ACC. Richt is going to win there. That'll make the ACC much stronger, especially if UNC keeps it up and VT gets back.

Plus, those VT vs Miami games when both teams were talented in the early to mid 2000s were awesome. Intense, but awesome.
Reactions: vt1hokie

Landon Dickerson

Jason, any chance we still may be able to get him on-board? I see he visited Auburn last week for the Iron Bowl. However, he did indicate he had not eliminated VT as he waiting to hear from the staff and learn who the O-line coach and coordinator will be. While I think the chances are slim, he is exactly the type of O-lineman we need.
Reactions: MRatch
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT