ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball

ACC media day today. We're picked 14th...we've finished in the cellar 4 consecutive seasons. What's everyone's expectations for year 2 of the Buzz Era? I think we might be better than some experts think with the additions of the transfers and incoming freshmen. It was a Top 25 class for the second year in a row under Buzz.

Game Strategy For BC

Here are a few tidbits I gathered from interviews this evening as the Hokies prepare for a game against Boston College at Alumni Stadium on Halloween afternoon.

-- Corey Marshall says that the team needs to focus on the process to winning rather than just the end result.
-- Marshall supports Frank Beamer and said that he has been "taking too much shit."
-- Virginia Tech plans to use more blitz coverage allowing for man to man coverage, which Andrew Motuapuaka is especially excited about.
-- The Hokies must win three of the next four games to be bowl eligible and every single player was confident when speaking on the matter that the team will accomplish that, no doubt.

Check out my story tomorrow for more details! :)

Dwayne Lawson

Transferring or not? Anyone with some real information and not just speculation? Having him around could likely be as important as the next head coach. I have seen some references to his potential departure and general lack of confidence that he will be a hokie next year.

***INsider: Patrick Jones On Official***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Grassfield (Va.) two-star DE Patrick Jones, who took his official visit to VT this past weekend. That was his second Hokies game this fall, as he was also on hand for the Ohio State game.

Jones isn't a huge talker, so I had to ask about twice the amount of questions I normally would. He said he did like the atmosphere and liked meeting with academic advisors. Jones said he feels good about the situation in getting his academics done and the help he would get at VT.

Jones said he sat down and talked at length with defensive coordinator Bud Foster and assistant coaches Charley Wiles and Bryan Stinespring, his primary recruiter. Jones said they told him he'd fit well in the scheme and that they envision him playing a role similar to the one Dadi Nicolas plays. Jones said he likes the idea of being a weakside guy and how he could have an impact. The other thing Jones said he really noticed and liked was the family atmosphere and how comfortable he felt there.

The other news here is that he's down to five schools, counting VT. The others in the running are Pittsburgh, NC State, California and Duke. He doesn't have any officials set 100%, but said he will be doing so over the next couple of nights. It sounds like he will likely go to NC State this weekend for the Florida State game, Pitt next weekend for Notre Dame and the other two will be in November. Jones wants to decide by Thanksgiving.

Right now, it sounds like the Hokies are the clear leader. But he's very intrigued by California and that's the oddball obviously, of the group. So that sounds like the biggest contender right now. But VT is definitely the favorite.

Sick and tired

i am sick and tired of the bad mouthing of coach Beamer. Let's thank him. He bleeds Maroon and orange. I know his career is almost over. He was here for 29 years. So with the next coach I expect no patience but win win win. And when we struggle we get rid of them quickly. The times are a changing but a new coach may not meet our expectations and we continue to Complain...the grass is not always greener on the other side. I met coach Beamer this summer as I was wondering through the new facility. It was the greatest day of my life and I took a selfy and thanked him for all the years. He cared about me and my son going to tech and asked many questions. He is a person who loves the school. SHOW HIM RESPECT AS YOU WOULD YOUR PARENTS. he made us what we are. So we are having a tough year. It's only a game and coach Beamer is our dad. From me. THANK YOU for all the good years, for bringing Pride to VT, for making me excited each Saturday....regardless if we win or lose. I love VT! I too am VT class of 80 and my son is class of 2019. Tradition, honor, pride, is VT so let's get together and support coach Beamer as we will miss him turst me we will miss him.....

***INsider: Joshua Jackson On Visit***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke earlier with Saline (Mich.) three-star quarterback Josh Jackson, who's been committed to the Hokies since June. Jackson took his official visit to VT this past weekend.

First off, this was Jackson's first ever trip to VT. The first thing he mentioned to me that he liked was seeing and experiencing 'Enter Sandman' before the game. Jackson also said he spent a lot of time with offensive coordinator Scot Loeffler and they "vibed pretty well." Jackson said he made the trip with his mother and father and the four of them ate breakfast and dinner together. Jackson's dad, Fred Jackson and Loeffler coached together at Michigan and have remained close friends. After the visit, Jackson said he's also more committed to VT than he was before.

Jackson said he also spoke to Loeffler about the Hokies taking a possible other QB commit and for the longest time, that has been Tylin Oden. That's kind of died, but even if VT took another, Jackson said it wouldn't affect his decision, as he's confident in his decision.

Jackson will also graduate from high school in December and enroll at VT in January. he hasn't signed his financial aid papers yet, but said he will over the next few weeks and send them in. The playoffs begin this weekend for Saline, which is undefeated so far.
Reactions: DEXTERITY

Why didn't they stop the clock when your WR went out of bounds?

I didnt underdtand that. He clearly went out of bounds.

Nobody asked me but Beamer reminds me of Paterno at the end of his career. No, he's not allowing a child rapist free access to the facilities and looking the other way when it comes to child rape but the game seems to have passed Frank by. He's lost his fastball so to say.

Beamer is VT Football but the program has taken a step back. You need some new blood. Nobody wants to fire him but he's got to realize this and step aside.

Interesting comments about Tom Herman on Jack Arute's radio show today

Arute's and Davis were talking about the possibility of adding Houston to the Big 12 and they commented that Herman may not be at Houston next year. No surprise there.

What I thought was interesting and made me want this guy even more was the comment about the locker room. Seems as though Herman went in the locker room and it was a mess and he went off on his players, telling them that he wanted the locker room neat, clean and pristine at all times. He said it has to be "recruit ready" 24 hours a day. This guy has his priorities in the right place ... Recruit, recruit, recruit!!
Reactions: nchokie96 and GC1

Many O and D stats inside. O 107th in yds per play. D-85th in rushing

Out of 128 FBS programs......

Offense
Total Offense Ranks 80th.. Moves up 8 spots after the D Game. Note: We had 361 Total Yards through 4 quarters vs Duke. If the game would have ended there, the O would have went from 88th to 94th in Total O. Since 2001, we have had 8 offenses rank outside of 80th in Total O. (8 of 15 years).
Yards Per Play Ranks 107th. This is the fourth worst since 2001. Stiney topped the 107th in yards per play 3 different times.
Rushing Offense Ranks 66th.
Passing Offense Ranks 78th.
Passing Efficiency Ranks 64th. This was 71st prior to the Duke game.

Defense
Total Defense Ranks 42nd. Moves down 8 spots from 33rd prior to the Duke Game. This is the third worst since 1990 if it holds. Duke gained 348 yards through 4 quarters. If the game would have ended there, the D would have moved up from 33rd to 29th in Total D.
Rush Defense Ranks 85th. This is the worst of any Virginia Tech defense since 1990 if it holds by seasons end.
Yards Per Play Allowed Ranks 79th. This is the second worst of any defense since 1990 if it holds.
Pass Defense Ranks 23rd.

Just the facts man.

Beamer News...

May hear something sooner than I initially stated. Stay tuned in this week. Not promising it will happen this week, but it's not out of the question. It will definitely happen this season. I hate it for Frank the way it is happening, truly one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, but it is definitely for the best.
Reactions: DEXTERITY

Frank Beamer Press Conference

Guys, my story on Beamer at today's press conference, including this quote: "Let me say this, the only thing I'm really concerned about right now is Boston College," Beamer said. "That's the only thing on my mind. I can tell you, the second part of that is whatever's good for Virginia Tech, what's best for Virginia Tech is what I'm into. I've always felt that way and always will and that's it."

Full video from his presser also included: http://rvls.co/1GtQMoc

***INsider: Duke Game Visitors***

Guys, not a huge crowd recruiting-wise this weekend, but still a good one. As we do every home game, we've been working the phones to confirm who is visiting this weekend. This list is subject to change obviously, but here's who we've confirmed as of now:

Official Visitors:
DE Zack Gilbert, South Mecklenburg (NC), three stars, No. 31 WDE, No. 25 in NC -- Beamer
DE Patrick Jones, Grassfield (Va.), two stars
QB Joshua Jackson, Saline (Mich), three stars, No. 25 D-T QB, No. 14 in Mich -- Loeffler -- VT COMMIT
WR Samuel Denmark, Hanahan (SC), three stars, No. 13 in SC -- Beamer, Burden -- VT COMMIT

Basketball:
PF Khasim Sy, Oak Hill Academy (Va.), three stars -- Chew
PG Branden Jenkins, Lee CC (TX) -- Williams
PG Tim Coleman, Lee CC (TX) -- Williams

Unofficial visitors:
WR Eric Kumah, Forest Park (Va.), three stars, No. 23 in VA -- Foster -- VT COMMIT
OL Thomas Jarrett Hopple, Nansemond River (Va.), two stars -- Searels -- VT COMMIT
LB Nathan Proctor, Lackey (Md.), four stars (2017), No. 239 in Rivals250, No. 16 OLB -- Brown
QB Shon Mitchell, Oscar Smith (Va.), three stars (2017), No. 18 in VA -- Stinespring
QB Darriel Mack, Norview (Va.) (2017) (NO OFFER) -- Stinespring
TE Jarrett Powell, Hylton (Va.) (2017) (NO OFFER) -- Foster
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT