ADVERTISEMENT

JJ Givens

Givens, out of Richmond, just de-committed from South Carolina. He was already offered by VT, being recruited by Foster and Gray. I hope they can get a visit before the dead period starts. Would love to see him here this weekend with the other recruits.

TX QB taking Va Tech Official

Dallas Bishop Dunne QB Caleb Evans is taking an official visit to Virginia Tech. His official visit starts Dec. 11. He completed 207 of 319 passes for 3,256 yards, 47 TDs, and 8 INTs. He also rushed for 1,201 yards and 17 TDs on 165 carries.

Virginia Tech has not offered at this time.

Evans is taking an official visit to Missouri today

Here's a link to his sr. highlights

Here's a link to his profile

***INsider: Official Visitors: 12.10***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, this weekend marks a big one for VT, it being the first weekend for official visits under coach Justin Fuente. I've alluded to a few of them already in other threads, or I've had help from the rest of the network with them. But here's who we've confirmed will be visiting this weekend so far:

LB Keith Simms, Landon School (Md.), four stars, No. 8 in MD
OL Demetri Moore, Mississippi Delta CC, three stars, No. 26 JUCO player
DE Jimmie Taylor, Southwest-Onslow (NC), three stars, No. 27 WDE, No. 24 in NC
WR Cedric Wilson, Coffeyville CC (Ks.), two stars -- BOISE STATE COMMIT
QB Jerod Evans, Trinity Valley CC (TX)
QB Caleb Evans, Bishop Dunne (TX) -- NO OFFER

I will say this is all fluid because of a lot of this has been last-second and because everything is a bit rushed with the new staff and then this being the last weekend for visits before the dead period. I'll provide any updates if and when available.

Thought on Fuente's offers

My guess is that he's covering his bases with guys he knows we can land and he's still throwing out the offers to committed kids and taking his shot (albeit a long shot). My only question is what will he do if he fills the boat and some "better" prospects come around before signing day.

I know "fit" is discussed a lot, but Fuente has gone after 2-star recruits and high 3/low 4-star recruits that "fit" his system.

Going to be an interesting couple of months.

Another 2016 Offer- Defense

Just got off the phone with yet another new offer for Virginia Tech and another from Oklahoma--- Edison (Okla.) linebacker Lon'Trelle Miller.

Miller is not ranked by Rivals, but is yet another example of coach Justin Fuente going on his own evaluations, not others. Not much out there on Miller. He called me really quick to tell me the news of the offer, which actually came last night.

Miller said he spoke with Fuente a lot when he was at Memphis and expected this offer to come. He said Fuente called him last night to tell him of the offer. Miller also said the biggest concern with him right now is his ACT, which he's studying for. Apparently, he doesn't have a great score right now, though he didn't give me a specific score.

I didn't get to do a thorough interview with Miller because he had coaches visiting him from Nichols State. But I'll be catching up with him later for more in-depth.

***INsider: Javonn Quillen Update***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a little while ago with Hampton (Va.) three-star athlete Javonn "Bubba" Quillen. I just wanted to get a gauge on where he is with the Hokies after the coaching change and if anything had changed.

Quillen said he received an in-home visit from assistant coach Torrian Gray yesterday. Quillen said Gray told him he still wants him to play as a defensive back, though coach Justin Fuente has talked about Quillen as a receiver and change of pace guy on offense. Quillen said it made a big difference that Gray and Bud Foster are staying on the defensive staff. Fuente called Quillen and his father a week ago tonight, to talk to Quillen and his father and say he wanted him to stay on board.

For now, Quillen said he's 100% committed, but he hesitated a bit when I asked. I asked if others had contacted him and he said Georgia Tech has been and continues to recruit him hard to be an option quarterback. Quillen said he has an all-star game next week to play in and is also running indoor track right now. He has a meet at VT on Jan. 23.

Quillen said he still wants to take an official visit sometime next month to VT. But he's also interested enough in GT that he wants to officially visit there as well. Fuente has also told Quillen that he will be giving him an in-home visit soon, but he's not sure when that will be.

For now, I'd say Quillen is about 90% on board with the Hokies, but there is some hesitancy. And he seems at least intrigued by the Yellow Jackets, who are the only ones under consideration besides VT. Might come down to signing day for sure with this one.

Anybody read the Matthew Hatfield of TarheelIllustrated's "Mining the Commonwealth" article?

Couple of nice shots at VT in there. He seems to think because VT and UVa hired new coaches that we'll be behind UNC in terms of recruiting the 757. The part that interested me was this section...

Two of the premier High School Football coaches in Virginia who'll be going for State Championships this weekend - Rich Morgan of Oscar Smith in Chesapeake and Hank Sawyer from Norfolk's Lake Taylor - shed their thoughts on the topic of UNC's opportunity to invade their backyards for players with Tar Heel Illustrated.

Sawyer, who has gone 159-42 in 18 seasons at the helm of the Titans with a pair of state titles, believes there will be a lot of questions by prospective recruits, their parents and coaches about the two in-state ACC programs with some of the familiar faces they know now gone.

"One of the first thoughts I had was, 'Well, who's going to be there and who's not?' Bryan Stinespring called and told me he won't be there. He's the main recruiter in our area along with Zohn Burden, and both of those guys are out. We've always had guys like Bryan Stinespring and Zohn as well as Chip West and Chris Beatty at UVA. They're Virginia guys that have coached in this area that people trusted," Sawyer pointed out.

"I don't know a lot about the guy that Tech hired and know many of the kids aren't familiar with him or the name coming from Memphis. That makes kids start to think because there's no Frank Beamer, a name that they know. While they may keep a couple assistant coaches, a kid is still going to go off who is the Head Coach there."

Hank Saywer of Lake Taylor seems to think Zohn Burden is gone. Stiney called and told him he was history. Did Burden do the same I wonder? Did Burden create that many relationships in his short time here? Maybe we should keep him. Or maybe we should try to hire Chip West away from UVa? Thoughts and opinions?

***INsider: VT & A JUCO OL***

Guys, I spoke earlier with Mississippi Delta CC three star OT Demetri Moore. He received an offer from new coach Justin Fuente and the Hokies last week.

Moore, originally from Cincinnati, is basically down to three schools: VT, Cincy and Southern Miss. He's already taken official visits to the last two, as well as Georgia. But since the coaching change there, with Kirby Smart taking over, Moore said he hasn't heard anything. So he's basically cut them out.

New Hokies OL coach Vance Vice actually made the offer and also offered when he was at Memphis. Moore is actually officially visiting VT this weekend as his final day of class is on Wednesday. He'll graduate this month and enroll at the school he commits to in January.

It sounds like VT is on top right now and barring something going wrong this weekend, the odds are very, very high he'll commit either on the visit or shortly after. Moore told me he feels like he has "a good vibe" with Vice and Fuente from when they were at Memphis. The three things he said he's looking for on his visit are living arrangements, connectivity of coaches and players and his major, which is graphic design.

Moore told me he's torn between the city life and the country life. Obviously, Blacksburg is somewhere kinda in between, especially what he's been used to in rural Mississippi. We'll see how it goes this weekend, but Moore could be the first big get of the Fuente era. That is, not counting the re-commitment of Phil Patterson.
Reactions: jwake

Possible Decision Coming

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I got a call just a little while ago from Edison (Okla.) linebacker Lon'Trelle Miller, who I've mentioned a bit over the past week. He was the second offer Fuente made after getting to VT.

Miller has a lot of options, but not many from bigger programs. But it sounds like Miller could be committing to the Hokies as early as tomorrow. He told me he has a conference call in a bit with coach Justin Fuente, assistant coach Vance Vice and defensive coordinator Bud Foster. Miller said Fuente told him last week that the offer was solid. If the coaches re-iterate that to Miller again today, he could commit.

I've sent Miller's film to our analysts to evaluate for a ranking. My guess is a two-star ranking as he looks good, but not spectacular. He's 6'1" and 205 pounds and is a hard-nosed kid. Fuente definitely sees something in him though that he thinks he can mold. We'll see how the call goes tonight.

Hudson's Top Six

Guys, just a heads up, our friend Ryan Snyder from our Penn State Rivals site, BlueWhiteIllustrated, spoke with McKeesport (Pa.) three star LM Khaleke Hudson earlier. He's down to a top six of VT, Pittsburgh, Penn State, Michigan, UCLA and Wisconsin. No exact date yet but he plans to officially visit VT in January. Full story coming in the morning.

Hudson profile: http://sports.yahoo.com/virginiatech/football/recruiting/player-Khaleke-Hudson-158758

Recruiting: Ath. Khaleke Hudson

Hey everyone,

Ryan Snyder. I cover Penn State and Pitt recruiting. I've dropped in to talk recruiting a few times in the past.

I just wanted to pass it on that I was able to catch up with McKeesport Ath. Khaleke Hudson late last night.

I literally got out of bed to answer his call late night. Looking back, I wish I would've went into a bit more detail on some things, but we spoke close to midnight, so I wasn't on my A game. Sorry about that. I should've asked more about Michigan, Virginia Tech and the schools that I don't cover regularly.

He did note that Penn State, Pitt, Michigan, UCLA, Wisconsin and Virginia Tech are his top six right now, which makes sense. I think most believed that those schools were the ones standing out.

I also confirmed his visit plans. He'll be at UCLA this weekend, Dec. 11-13. He'll then visit:

Michigan - Jan. 15-17
Penn State - Jan. 22-24
Wisconsin - Jan. 29-31

Virginia Tech has a good chance to get a visit during the week in January. I think it's likely that he'll also take an unofficial visit to Pitt during those final few weeks as well.

As for who's standing out, these visits are going to be really important. I'd personally be surprised if he ended up at UCLA, but I do believe that Michigan and Wisconsin are firmly in the mix. I think he likes Virginia Tech a lot, too. Just doesn't have much of a relationship with Fuente and his staff at the moment, but I know he's always really like the school.

I still think PSU and Pitt are probably 1 and 1A on his board, but the other two Big Ten schools have really impressed him recently. They're both making a major push, so it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Va. Tech definitely has a chance, too. It'll be on Hudson to build a relationship with the Va. Tech staff during the dead period. I'm sure he'll reach out to them a few times to get to know them more.

Click Here to read the update. Click Here to watch his film from this past season.

Serving myself crow and saying goodbye

1. I was wrong on my pick with Chad Morris and admit it. I was going my the info given. I am serving myself crow. I told ya, if correct, I would be patting myself on the back. If wrong, I would quickly come on and admit it.

2. The timing of this is fun. Come January, I'm Sochi, Russia bound for about 335 days per year, so I leave the U.S right at the time of the transition.

3. Thankfully, Coach Beamer and the old offensive regime at VT is gone. VT was smart to keep Shane Beamer. This one, they were spot on and the guy has intensity and fervor. You want someone like that in your program. Of course, Stiney is gone. He is not being retained from everything I've read and that is critically important for the change of our culture on offense and recruiting. Things are looking up for VT and the future.

4. This will be my last post on HokieHaven.

Peace,
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT