ADVERTISEMENT

Bud may miss out again...

Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere; but I noticed on the crawler on ESPN during the Syracuse/UConn game that Illinois was considering giving the interim HC a 2yr contract. Said a decision would be made by Sunday. I found this on ESPN.com:

Illini consider hiring Cubit permanently
9h

i

Illinois is exploring the idea of making interim football coach Bill Cubit the permanent coach and giving him a two-year deal, according to the Chicago Tribune. Interim athletic director Paul Kowalczyk said a decision would be announced Sunday.

Blake and Brock Dalton

Guys I have mentioned before these 2 kids. Back in the summer they came in 2nd and 3rd in a camp that won them Top gun honors. They are in the class of 2019 but already making a huge statement on the football field and at camps. I know them personally but they have been to several visits and really want to be at VT. Right now they play for Waynesville high in Fort Lenard Wood Mizz. Their dad sent a vid clip of Brock leg pressing 545 6x. Not bad for a 14 year old lol. Right now they are 5'10 and 175 lbs. I'd post the video clip but have no idea how. Just a pair of twins that have their sights on VT for the 2019 class. Thought I'd pass it along.

New Coach

After looking at everyone's comments for the last few weeks on all the possible rumored hires, we are certainly going to be doomed it appears. All the prospective coaches mentioned are either too young, too old, too inexperienced, too expensive, going to bales on first opportunity, won't keep Bud, going to keep Bud and on and on and on...!!! It appears anyone shy of Saban (I am sure someone wouldn't like that pick either) then we failed. Hell it appears we already have in many peoples eyes. Sure darn glad I don't have all of us to satisfy for my job.

Whoever Whit picks, I do trust him to get the right hire, I just hope everyone comes together and gives that coach the full support that selected person deserves because whether you like it or not we have been spoiled for 29 years!!!!!

Rant over, back to the bicker!!!!
Reactions: FredSam

***INsider: 11.24 VT Coach Search Update***

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, first of all, I have it confirmed from VERY good sources in the VT administration, as well as after checking with sources from each of the candidates that there's currently NO DONE DEAL. But this one is very close. I'm told that this one will wrap up as soon as over the next about 4-5 days. It could stretch a bit longer, but athletic director Whit Babcock wants the search to be over with as soon as possible, as other openings will happen starting next week.

There's been a lot of smoke and mirrors over the past few weeks, as everyone wants to be an expert right now. But after conferring with very good sources on all sides, I still have reason to believe that Memphis' Justin Fuente is as close to a front-runner as there is right now. The other guys who are now for sure in VT's top three are Mississippi State's Dan Mullen and SMU's Chad Morris. Babcock and VT looked very strongly at Georgia coach Mark Richt, but it appears Richt has decided that he wants to stay there, as it's looking about 99% certain that defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt will be the fall guy there and not be back next season. Of course, always keep an eye on an 11th hour guy, since that's exactly what Buzz Williams was when he was hired.

With Fuente, everything seems to align here. He's an offensive-minded guy, which Babcock loves, he's only 39, he resurrected a downtrodden Memphis program and he's tutored two damn good quarterbacks in Andy Dalton at TCU and now Paxton Lynch. Plus, really just a coincidence, but after playing quarterback for two years at Oklahoma, Fuente played his last two years in college at Murray State, from 1998-99. Just about all of you know, but that happens to be where Frank Beamer coached before he got with the Hokies in 1987.

Fuente makes a lot of sense in a lot of ways. After combing through old newspaper articles and other stories, Fuente has been praised at all his stops for his drive and work ethic. Plus, I've been told that Fuente has had his eyes on a power five job for a while. VERY interesting note is that is why his buyout is so low, at $500,000 pre-tax. A VERY good source following the situation with Fuente and Memphis, told me that he turned down $2.75 million a year from Memphis last year. The school apparently wanted to lock him up for long term, but he wanted a low buyout to give him an out for when he believed the time was right to move on to a power five school. As a result, Memphis gave him a much lower raise, which I'm told very much irritated Fuente.

Also keep in mind here that Fuente was just made a huge offer by Memphis in the past week. He was offered $24 million over eight years, which would make him the highest paid coach of any non-power five school. I'm told Fuente hasn't turned that down, but he hasn't agreed to anything, either. Our friends at our Memphis site, TigerSportsReport.com, have told me that their sources say Fuente has also been telling Memphis boosters of late that he's staying there. So it will be interesting to see how it transpires with him, but my gut tells me Fuente is the top choice for VT.

Morris has been tough to get a gauge on because he's at a private school and because his camp has been surprisingly quiet, past saying that Morris is interested in the Hokies. Mullen is a name that's only been on the national radar with VT over the past couple of days, but I'm told his name has been in the mix for weeks. But it's hard to tell how serious a contender he is because his salary just increased to $4 million for this season. He'll make an average of $4.275 million through 2018, according to AL.com.

Also have some other big news. I've confirmed through VERY good sources at VT that defensive coordinator Bud Foster has already had preliminary interviews for the head coaching position at Illinois and will soon have a full interview there. Foster was born in Somerset, Ky, but basically grew up in the St. Louis area of Illinois. I'm also told that depending on the timing, he would also interview for the Memphis head coach job should Fuente leave. So looks about 99% certain that Foster will not be back with the Hokies after this season.

Virginia Tech vs Carolina

Looking forward to a return trip to Blacksburg. Had a great experience talking with VT fans last time we played there before & after the game. Even though the game ended badly for us it was a great college football experience.

With this being Coach Beamer's last home game and Carolina trying to clinch an undisputed ACC Coastal crown the stakes are high and so will be emotions.

I look for an exciting game.

VT perception

I've noticed a lot of people saying Herman or Mullen or essentially any "home run" hire would be far fetched. Example: someone in a previous thread said "Herman would be biting off more than we can chew" ..and last night some were saying on social media VT would be a step down for Mullen.

Am I crazy but VT is the second best job open only behind Southern Cal and we wouldn't even chase the kind of coach they are.

We have better facilities, better tradition, better fans, and better recruiting grounds than USCe, Mizzou and Mississppi State. Only thing they beat us in is conference prestige. No one wants to work at Miami.

So why are so many viewing these hires as stretches? In my minds eye we are hands down the most attractive opening outside of SoCal. Thoughts?

I'll just drop this right here

Per Football Scoop:

Following practice tonight Justin Fuente was asked about a report from Pat Forde that he is just about a done deal to take over as the next head coach at Virginia Tech.Fuente’s response was, “I don’t know Pat Forde; but as always…if there is something that comes along and there is mutual interest then we’ll have those discussions, right now its the time for SMU [this week’s opponent]” Regarding the offer he has from Memphis, “I’d had that since October 29th. I was honored to get that offer. Think it speaks volumes about our university, about our administration.”
Reactions: Salemite

***INsider: Khalan Laborn***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke just a few minutes ago with Ocean Lakes (Va.) four-star RB Khalan Laborn, No./ 34 in the Rivals100. Laborn was on hand at VT yesterday, the first game at Lane Stadium he's been to. He made the trip with his mom and a handful of teammates.

Laborn is a kid to watch with the Hokies, regardless of who the next coach is. He's a kid who said earlier this fall that VT and Florida State were his top two. I asked Laborn earlier if that's still the case and he said it is, though he's still open to other schools as well. This after he just picked up recent offers from Notre Dame, Penn State and Duke.

Laborn told me that he loved the atmosphere around the game yesterday. He told me he thought it was cool how the players carried coach Frank Beamer off the field. Laborn also talked after the game with two of the players he knows best, freshman Jahque Alleyne, whom Laborn played with last season, and Bucky Hodges.

"Even if Beamer leaves, I would still got to Virginia Tech," Laborn told me. "I’m gonna commit to go to a school, not the coach. I would still consider it as a top school. I like it because when I go there, it feels like home and I’m wanted there."

When I asked Laborn what characteristics he wants the new coach to have, he told me that he just wants the new coach to be one who "doesn't always yell at you." Laborn hopes the family aspect is still there and he likes a spread offense with zone runs. The biggest factor seems to be that he knows so many people and players at VT, like Hodges and Alleyne. That seems to really resonate with him. So the Hokies' getting guys from the 757 recently could pay dividends for the next staff.

The only other visits Laborn took this fall were to Tennessee, for the Oklahoma game and to Florida State for the Miami game. I will say that the one to really keep an eye on here is UNC. Laborn's mom told me that their cousin is Marquise Williams. Of course, Williams is graduating after this season, but that's still one that Laborn will likely visit and one I can see making a run at him. But right now, great news that Laborn is as interested as he is when the next coach is up in the air for VT.
Reactions: GC1

It's done. The next HC at VT is Chad Morris.

The deal is done. Contract in the works. Yes, Bud Foster is staying put as DC.

How often am I wrong on these matters? Very, very seldom. The announcement will come after the UVA game. If we make a bowl, Coach Beamer coaches it with Morris in attendance and reporting for duty after the Bowl Game.

I know many people who know some people. This info by the way........it is from one of the BOV members who is a close and longtime family friend.

Remember what I wrote. Cut, save, paste this post. The next HC at VT is Chad Morris and Lefty is gone, and God forbid.....I hate it, but it looks like Stiney will survive again. He will be retained.

OTish: Frank Beamer signed Mini-helmet and Football auction

Some of you may remember but I spent my college days in FIJI at Virginia Tech and supporting the FIJI Run Across Virginia, which runs the game ball from VT to UVA before the game and has raised almost $500,000 for The V Foundation over the last 11 years or so.

This year, they are auctioning off a Frank Beamer signed mini-helmet ($1 per ticket) and a Frank signed football ($25 per ticket) to help their fundraising efforts. Could be a good way to get a cool momento/gift potentially cheap (if you win!) and support a great cause.

Here's the link - rallyup.com/830ad3/HMMRVG

I coordinated this philanthropy in 2013 and we raised around $49,000. This year, they're going to shatter the record and the VT chapter alone is going to hit $40,000.
Reactions: cmmcclu
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT