ADVERTISEMENT

Am I missing something?

I'm all for change however be careful what you wish for see Tennesee just to name one. This season has been a big let down and there are numerous coaching problems to go around even for Bud this year who we agree has been rock solid for us. However yesterday's game was anything but a great game with yes mistakes here and there but you can't say this wasn't the best offensively we have looked all year! And as far as the last drive that was terrible no way about it. But pretty sure they were all caught by SUPRISE as to why the clock was running when Phillips ran out of bounds clock should have stopped. The biggest issue for the day by far is the corners taking the double move everytime. That's on Torian period but everyone wants him as the next DC. It's time for Beamer to go and it will be tough for all and we may get it right like Michigan or we may not but not every tough hard fault game is no need to crush the man who made this program what it is so we can complain about 7 wins. Kids played very good today and we lost to a 6-1 team. This isnt the old Duke teams this is a very solid team that plays with the big boys now. Today's loss was a tough one to take but far from a loss for everyone to crush them. If we played like today every game this year I'd take it everytime. We complain all the time how bout someone mention the positives when it happens also? Brewer and McMillian and the Oline to name a few.

My unpopular post

Let me be honest with everyone on this board . . . I am firmly convinced that Frank Beamer needs to step down and bring his storied career to an end. He no longer possesses the ability, as the head coach, to put a team on the field that is competitive and that can meet the expectations of the fans, the coaches, the university and Frank himself.

Having said that, I refuse to be disrespectful to the man that has brought so much enjoyment, excitement, pride and recognition to this university and this fanbase. If the price I have to pay for all he has given us is 3 or 4 years of mediocrity in football, then I will gladly pay it.

If the fans think they are suffering, I can assure you it pales in comparison to what he is going through. I resent the comments about him being stupid, ignorant, retarded, etc.

It is unfortunate that the man who has done so much for so many is abandoned during his last days by ungrateful and disrespectful fans, coaches who don't do their jobs and players who play without emotion and who don't follow assignments.

If Frank told us all to "go to hell" it would be justified.

frustrated

Is any one else frustrated with everything associated with football games? Its is a nightmare at the gates with these little coded readers. Not enough gate open ! had a gate open behind stands but had it blocked off and wouldn't let you up hill? Seems like whole operation is a cluster

Of note with Frank...

Hey guys,

It came to my attention during post-game interviews that Frank Beamer had looked like he had been crying. He rubbed his eyes and they were glassy... his bottom eye lids were also rimmed with tears. I know that older people tend to have watery eyes, but this to me looked like he had been crying. Even Bud Foster came in post-game interviews looking a little beat up. Any thoughts on what this could mean? This was a huge loss for not only the program, but the security of Beamer's job as well.
Reactions: 3 rivers

Defense

Am I the only one watching this game? Our defense is not even a hint of its former self. I am tired of excuses and I used to be the biggest Bud supporter but I believe it's time for a complete change from top to bottom if this is the best we can put on the field.

***Duke Tailgate INFO***

Guys, we'll get going at 11:30 am at our usual spot, lot four, space 98, with our friend Hokies73 (Uncle Tom). We'll have tons of wings from our sponsor, Bull & Bones, hot dogs, burgers and anything else you want to bring. Always a great time to talk with other members of our site and any other Hokies! The more the merrier, so feel free to bring your friends! Look for the HokieHaven.com banner!

***INsider: Yetur Matos***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, our Clemson site came out with a story today, but this morning, I spoke with Chancellor (Va.) 2017 four-star DE Yetur Matos and his dad, Robert Matos. I'll be mentioning more in the story, but Yetur's dad coaches him in basketball and has since he was young. Yetur is No. 237 in the Rivals250.

Robert told me that Yetur currently has 15 offers. But the three that Robert said they've been to more than once are VT, Penn State and Clemson. Robert said, "They're at the top of the list." They just visited Clemson over the weekend, which was the first time the Matos' had seen a game there. They had been for junior day and camp and the Tigers were the first to offer earlier this spring.

Yetur had a lot to say about Clemson. He loved the atmosphere and said the gameday was better than anywhere else he'd been. "Clemson for me, it’s always been somewhere I’ve wanted to go to play football since the junior day I was there," Yetur said. So the Tigers are looking right now like the favorite.

I do think based on talking to him and his dad, that VT is close, but still right behind Clemson. They visited for the Ohio State game last month and Yetur said he liked how intense everything was and "That gameday atmosphere was similar to the one I felt at Clemson." Yetur also said the Hokies are "in a good place with me" because of how he felt like he was treated and how his family was treated. VT would have been second to offer, as Matos participated in the Hokies' camp in June. But UVA heard he was at the camp and called his dad during the camp to say he had an offer. I was talking with Robert when UVA called.

Strangely, though, Matos hasn't talked a ton with defensive coordinator Bud Foster. Yetur said they talk over social media and over the phone here and there, but that "I’m trying to make my way back down there to see him in person, so we can talk more and build a relationship."

This coming weekend is the only one the Matos' won't be traveling anywhere. the next four weekends, they'll visit and take in games at NC State, UNC, Duke and Penn State. It sounds like the next time Yetur would be at VT would be for junior day after the first of the year. But certainly one to keep an eye on.

***INsider: Khalan Laborn Update***

Full story coming, but as always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

Guys, I spoke late last night with Ocean Lakes (Va.) four-star RB Khalan Laborn, just hadn't had a chance to post anything until now. Laborn is No. 34 in the 2017 Rivals100, the No. 2 player in Virginia in the class.

Around the first of the month, Laborn told mid-Atlantic analyst Adam Friedman that Florida State and VT were the two standing out most. But I'd say the Seminoles are the clear favorite here. Laborn visited a few weeks ago for the Miami/FSU game and said he loved the visit. He likes the offense, the track record of getting to the NFL from there and the atmosphere.

The Hokies are hanging in a close second, in all honesty, but they are second. Laborn said VT is a good program regardless of record and that "When I was there, I felt like I could be happy there." He still talks regularly with assistant coach Zohn Burden and said nothing has changed, but that's a good thing.

Other schools in the mix here are Alabama, Ohio State and Florida. Laborn plans on visiting Alabama in a few weeks for the LSU game and Ohio State next month for the Michigan State game. No plans to visit VT right now, so the next visit would likely come for junior day in February. The Hokies are squarely in the hunt, but have some ground to make up.

Well, Lightning can strike twice.

While I have already openly stated my disappointment in our current and prior OC's I should also step back a little when I make those comments. Why? Because they were both duly appointed to their positions by the same person. It is not their fault except that they chose to accept a job they were not qualified for.
The utter futility of this situation has been one for the ages. There is no logical reason for either of these gentlemen to have been put in this situation as there were a number of qualified OC"s in the world of FB at the time both of these appointments took place.
This has to be corrected.

• Poll
Official DUKE Prediction Thread (and a semi-cynical POLL)

Which will we do first on Saturday?

• pre-snap penalty

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • give up a sack

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • let Dook pass for a 1st down

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Travon to the house!

• jet sweep

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Dadi gets a sack

• give up an INT

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • OL helps Brewer up

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • delayed entry to the stadium

Votes: 1 2.1%

I think I saw Vegas has us by 2(?), but that doesn't seem right. Probably misread that.

Because MB is back, I think we roll by 14+.
Everybody will play with more confidence.
Fingers crossed.

VT 34, Dook 17

***10.22 VT INsider Chat Details***

Guys, I've got a meeting at our normal chat time on Friday that I've been unable to move. So we'll be having this week's chat at 12:30 pm ET tomorrow (Thursday). Lots to discuss right now with the Hokies, including a good recruiting weekend coming up with a few notable visitors. Come take advantage of and get the very most from your subscriptions and chat with us!

Chat link: http://bit.ly/1GpIFbY

***INsider: VT Offense Update***

Guys, assistant coach Zohn Burden was the speaker today at the Blacksburg Sports Club. He showed up a little early, so I think he got asked more questions than usual. But here's the rundown of everything he covered:

As always, what's posted here, STAYS HERE. Don't de-value your own subscription by giving away information to others who don't pay like you do. It's also a violation of our terms of service and will result in the termination of your subscription.

*Burden said that even though Michael Brewer will start, Brenden Motley will play in some capacity, likely as the change of pace guy he was before Brewer fractured his collarbone. "As far as I know, Brewer is back," Burden said. "I think he's fine." Burden said Brewer started throwing two weeks after he had surgery last month, but has progressed well.

**One question was asked about why only sophomores Isaiah Ford and Cam Phillips have played. Burden said it's because nobody else at the position works harder than they do. Burden said that Ford and Phillips have clearly outworked all the other receivers. He did say that the Hokies are continuing to try to find ways to get Greg Stroman involved. Burden talked about his speed and playmaking abilities. But he didn't mention any other receivers.

***Another question was asked about why VT doesn't get the ball more to junior tight end Bucky Hodges. Burden said it's not for a lack of trying. He estimated that if the Hokies throw the ball 26-27 times like they want, Hodges is the primary read on at least half of those. Burden said Hodges has faced a ton of double teams this season. He said it's on the coaches to continue to find ways to get him the ball and they've tried moving him around. But they have to find more ways.

****On freshman quarterback Dwayne Lawson, Burden was short on why Lawson hasn't played. "He's not completely ready to go in on a consistent basis," Burden said. He also said the Hokies gave zero thought to redshirting Lawson this season. He and the rest of the staff thought Lawson was "unbelievable" when they saw him over the summer. But when Brewer got hurt, the redshirt was without question gone and VT had to speed him up, as far as progress. Burden said Lawson has made a lot of progress, but that the Hokies' offense is more detailed, whereas Lawson came from a more simplified offense in high school. The big thing I also took away was that Burden said Lawson is very shy. On the play against Miami where he had to come in because Motley got hurt in the third quarter, Burden said the offense couldn't hear Lawson. Ryan Malleck ended up getting a false start penalty as a result. But Burden said Lawson will be a hell of a talent over the next couple of seasons.

*****On recruiting, Burden said he and the staff are heading to games tomorrow afternoon after practice. He couldn't name the receiver recruits because of NCAA rules, but reiterated that three of them (Eric Kumah, Samuel Denmark and Divine Deablo) will be enrolling in January for spring practice, while one (Phil Patterson) won't be enrolling until August. Burden said all three early enrollees will get a lot of reps in the spring.

******As far as 757 recruiting, Burden said he and the staff are trying to figure out why they still have some trouble there. Burden said he believes it's a "fad" where kids want to get away from home. He also said he and the staff have received feedback that "Sometimes parents think it's best for their children not to be in-state." Burden said he hears that a lot.

*******Lastly on recruiting, Burden was asked if VT had reached out to commits to Maryland and South Carolina, because of the coaching changes there. He said the Hokies have, but that "Sometimes kids commit to a school and not the head coach. We'll see." So basically goes on what I've been told when I've been asked this on the chat, that it looks like for now, VT won't be getting any of those recruits and that nearly all of them will stay put, of course, depending on who the new coaches there are.

********He didn't have much to say, but Burden was asked about injuries. He called it part of the game and said they have to persevere, but that he believes the season would be a lot different if VT didn't have so many. He also said he believes the odds of Kendall Fuller returning for his senior season next year are 50/50.

*********As far as the offense as a whole, Burden said he believes the Hokies will be the best offense Duke has seen. He said VT will use a lot more up-tempo to slow down the Blue Devils' defense and that the Hokies' offense is predicated on getting the ball down-field and fast. Burden was asked specifically on slant passes and said they haven't been good in the games played for the most part but are in the gameplan for this week.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT